Grant Jarrett signed

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: Grant Jarrett signed 

Post#21 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Unless you thought the Thunder were going to use a 13 man rotation, maximum active roster size, and leave the last two spots empty I do not understand having an issue with Jarrett. He takes up one of the roster spots you expect to be used for players in Tulsa. The Thunder should have a strong 10 man rotation. That leaves them a few spots for players like Jarrett that are projects and can develop in Tulsa.

Unless you think Jarrett is preventing an upgrade in the top 10 of the roster KD, Russ, Ibaka, Reggie, Adams, Lamb, Morrow, PJ3, Collison and Perkins I do not see the complaint. You can even argue McGary should be 10th over Perkins/Collison. Complaining about Jarrett being on the roster is even dumber then the idiot I heard on Sports Animal this morning crying about them not amnestying Perkins to sign Gasol, because somehow OKC could have ignored the CBA and made that work.

On the list of things to complain about the re-signing of Jarrett is really low on my list. Maybe it is because I knew it was going to happen with the way Presti made sure he maintained control of him last year. However, I have a much bigger issue with drafting Huestis then I do Jarrett taking up the 14th or 15 roster spot that can't be active unless someone better is inactive anyway.

:roll: the lack of upside or NBA ability makes him dead weight. Semaj is much more likely to be an NBA player, but we still need a third point guard until he is ready. Keeping Jerret means telfair or Semaj aren't going to both make the roster. Thabeet is a nice end of bench big that can still play defense when Perkins and Adams are in foul trouble or injuries hit. Hell Huestis, who I also am not happy about, at least plays NBA level defense and has a nice shooting stroke. Why is it okay to bitch about Huestis taking up 14/15th roster spot bug not Jerrett?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#22 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:51 pm

At 21 Jarrett has no upside or potential? Really? I can understand an argument about not seeing how a Ryan Anderson type would fit on the team, but to say he's not capable of becoming a 40% 3pt shooter after hitting 36% his first year in pro ball is mind boggling. He could end up as a very good stretch 4 off the bench in certain lineups. Kind of like how the Spurs use Diaw to pull rim protectors out of the paint in certain situations.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#23 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:At 21 Jarrett has no upside or potential? Really? I can understand an argument about not seeing how a Ryan Anderson type would fit on the team, but to say he's not capable of becoming a 40% 3pt shooter after hitting 36% his first year in pro ball is mind boggling. He could end up as a very good stretch 4 off the bench in certain lineups. Kind of like how the Spurs use Diaw to pull rim protectors out of the paint in certain situations.

He definitely has some upside but let's be honest with ourselves here. Jerrett is an extremely limited prospect. Shooting mid 30s in the D league is not a clear indicator that he'll translate to the next level. What's more, he faired poorly in other metrics like rebounding even at that level. It is much more likely he ends up with Brian Cook's career than Ryan Anderson or Ersan Ilyasova's career. That being the case I would have rather used that spot to provide depth at another position as opposed to adding a 4th power forward who will also be behind KD playing power forward in the depth chart.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#24 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Really I think this may have something to do with Presti honoring a promise he made to the kid's agent in order to get him to accept playing for peanuts on that Tulsa deal most of last year instead of going to Europe/China. Last thing he would probably want to do is lose credibility in those circles of people.

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Old Man Game wrote:He definitely has some upside but let's be honest with ourselves here. Jerrett is an extremely limited prospect. Shooting mid 30s in the D league is not a clear indicator that he'll translate to the next level. What's more, he faired poorly in other metrics like rebounding even at that level. It is much more likely he ends up with Brian Cook's career than Ryan Anderson or Ersan Ilyasova's career. That being the case I would have rather used that spot to provide depth at another position as opposed to adding a 4th power forward who will also be behind KD playing power forward in the depth chart.

What quality player were they going to find for $1M? They were not going to add a rotation player with that money. I think Presti would have loved for him to go to Europe last year that way he would've still owned his NBA rights and he would be developing overseas. Instead he has to use his cap space, his roster spot and run down the timer until he has a chance to lose him in FA for a project player.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Space Dracula
Junior
And1: 160

Post#26 » by Space Dracula » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:31 pm

We were asking ourselves the same question last season. Up against the tax, only the veteran's minimum available (~$1mm). You know what Anthony Morrow earned last season? Veteran's minimum. I'm not totally against signing Jerrett to the contract. But there are rotation players out there ready to play for the minimum.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Morrow was coming off a season where he was hurt and had the worst season of his career and took a two year deal, one being a player option, to re-establish his market value. Who is out there that fits that description? I'm asking seriously, because I wanted Morrow last off-season because he was undervalued and I do not see anyone out there right now that is comparable. However, they do still have one roster spot if they can find that person. I could be totally overlooking someone, but I just don't see anyone out there.

I wouldn't mind Aaron Brooks as the 3rd PG, but that spot is still open. Jimmer? I like Doron Lamb, he could be Morrow when he grows up. I would love them to opt not so sign Huestis, or talk him into playing in Europe for a year or two, and sign Doron Lamb as another shooter that could come off the bench and might develop into more. Outside of those three names I don't see anyone out there I'd expect to be able to help next year and Brooks would be buried behind Russ and Reggie. I expect someone to offer Jimmer around $3M as the shooters all sign. Leaving Lamb as my best guess for a quality, in my eyes, league minimum signing.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Old Man Game » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:He definitely has some upside but let's be honest with ourselves here. Jerrett is an extremely limited prospect. Shooting mid 30s in the D league is not a clear indicator that he'll translate to the next level. What's more, he faired poorly in other metrics like rebounding even at that level. It is much more likely he ends up with Brian Cook's career than Ryan Anderson or Ersan Ilyasova's career. That being the case I would have rather used that spot to provide depth at another position as opposed to adding a 4th power forward who will also be behind KD playing power forward in the depth chart.

What quality player were they going to find for $1M? They were not going to add a rotation player with that money. I think Presti would have loved for him to go to Europe last year that way he would've still owned his NBA rights and he would be developing overseas. Instead he has to use his cap space, his roster spot and run down the timer until he has a chance to lose him in FA for a project player.

You wouldn't be limited to one million. You still had the bi-annual exception to burn. Additionally they have a 4 million dollar trade exception created yesterday in the sign and trade they did with Atl for Thabo. But you had to have a roster spot to actually utilize that. One of which has now been taken up by Grant. Finally, I didn't say anything about a regular rotation player, I said depth at a position of need. If an injury happens that's a guy you can plausibly trust to step in and give you minutes for a week or 2 or more.

spearsy23
RealGM

Post#29 » by spearsy23 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:At 21 Jarrett has no upside or potential? Really? I can understand an argument about not seeing how a Ryan Anderson type would fit on the team, but to say he's not capable of becoming a 40% 3pt shooter after hitting 36% his first year in pro ball is mind boggling. He could end up as a very good stretch 4 off the bench in certain lineups. Kind of like how the Spurs use Diaw to pull rim protectors out of the paint in certain situations.

Diaw has a completely different skillset from Jerrett. Diaw came into the league as a point guard. Ryan Anderson is much better offensively and defensively. Anderson is literally best case scenario for Jerrett, and There's no way he ever gets time over Mitch, Serge, PJ or Adams. Best case scenario is Jerrett becomes Ryan Anderson for some other team. Take a flyer on ANY potential two guard or use the roster spot to keep telfair and Semaj both. Being 21 doesn't automatically give you upside, he's a below average athlete that isn't strong enough or quick enough, doesn't rebound well and was an average D-league player who only had one skill in Tulsa.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by Kizz Fastfists » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Old Man Game wrote:You wouldn't be limited to one million. You still had the bi-annual exception to burn. Additionally they have a 4 million dollar trade exception created yesterday in the sign and trade they did with Atl for Thabo. But you had to have a roster spot to actually utilize that. One of which has now been taken up by Grant. Finally, I didn't say anything about a regular rotation player, I said depth at a position of need. If an injury happens that's a guy you can plausibly trust to step in and give you minutes for a week or 2 or more.

I'm assuming they are not going into the tax. If they are willing to go into the tax then they have the remainder of the MLE, the bi-yearly and the trade exception all at their disposal. However, that is only IF they are willing to pay the tax.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Old Man Game » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:17 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:You wouldn't be limited to one million. You still had the bi-annual exception to burn. Additionally they have a 4 million dollar trade exception created yesterday in the sign and trade they did with Atl for Thabo. But you had to have a roster spot to actually utilize that. One of which has now been taken up by Grant. Finally, I didn't say anything about a regular rotation player, I said depth at a position of need. If an injury happens that's a guy you can plausibly trust to step in and give you minutes for a week or 2 or more.

I'm assuming they are not going into the tax. If they are willing to go into the tax then they have the remainder of the MLE, the bi-yearly and the trade exception all at their disposal. However, that is only IF they are willing to pay the tax.

I don't think that's accurate as far as going in to the tax. Team could have used bi-annual or remainder of Midlevel without going over tax line.
http://data.shamsports.com/content/page ... hunder.jsp

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/ ... y_cap.html

deevo
Sophomore
And1: 101

Post#32 » by deevo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:40 am

Could we have signed D.J Augustin without going over the tax?
He's exactly what we needed - another creator who can shoots a high% on threes. With Augustin creating for the 2nd unit, we could have moved Reggie to the starting role. ALSO, if we lose Reggie to FA, we could still have Augustin.

Really wished we could have found a way to sign Augustin, and drafted Rodney Hood + McGary instead of McGary + Huesitis.

Imagine if we had Hood, Morrow, Augustin - that's three potential 40% shooters, which would have been perfect for us because Brooks runs a simple offense around KD and WB, which defense can plan for if there are not enough shooters around to space the floor.

But our SIMPLE offense WILL WORK if we have enough shooters to space the floor (our offensive efficiency was INSANE with KMart on the floor a year ago).
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Old Man Game » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:54 pm

deevo wrote:Could we have signed D.J Augustin without going over the tax?
He's exactly what we needed - another creator who can shoots a high% on threes. With Augustin creating for the 2nd unit, we could have moved Reggie to the starting role. ALSO, if we lose Reggie to FA, we could still have Augustin.

Really wished we could have found a way to sign Augustin, and drafted Rodney Hood + McGary instead of McGary + Huesitis.

Imagine if we had Hood, Morrow, Augustin - that's three potential 40% shooters, which would have been perfect for us because Brooks runs a simple offense around KD and WB, which defense can plan for if there are not enough shooters around to space the floor.

But our SIMPLE offense WILL WORK if we have enough shooters to space the floor (our offensive efficiency was INSANE with KMart on the floor a year ago).

DJ got 3 million per so we couldn't have gotten both he and Morrow.

spearsy23
RealGM

Post#34 » by spearsy23 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
deevo wrote:Could we have signed D.J Augustin without going over the tax?

DJ got 3 million per so we couldn't have gotten both he and Morrow.

Sign and trade.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:25 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Sign and trade.

Because he would have signed up to be a #3 PG? Because the Bulls would have facilitated that while still being pissed about not getting a S&T with Gasol? Because D.J. Augustin is worth going into the luxury tax for?
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#36 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:12 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Because he would have signed up to be a #3 PG? Because the Bulls would have facilitated that while still being pissed about not getting a S&T with Gasol? Because D.J. Augustin is worth going into the luxury tax for?

The point wasn't rather it was a good decision or not, but that it was possible. Also, if you sign and trade for Augustin RJ starts at sg.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#37 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:36 am

spearsy23 wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

The point wasn't rather it was a good decision or not, but that it was possible. Also, if you sign and trade for Augustin RJ starts at sg.

Yeah we might have been able to structure some sort of sign and trade with Thabo's deal with Atlanta.

Space Dracula
Junior
And1: 160

Post#38 » by Space Dracula » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Grant Jerrett is unlikely to contribute this year. A player on a veteran's minimum contract, really any player who's signed one so far this offseason, would be more likely to contribute to our team. Royal Ivey would be more likely to contribute. Jerrett possesses an interesting blend of skills. I don't blame Presti too much for this deal but the opportunity cost is the acquisition of a player we know can contribute something if called upon. Presti has done the same thing with Huestis. I think he's getting a little too cute with the long term, low salary contracts and it's likely neither Jerrett or Huestis contribute anything to the Thunder.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:42 pm

What players do you think will make up the 13 man active roster?

KD, Russ, Ibaka, Adams, Reggie, Perkins, Lamb, Morrow, Collison, PJ3 are a lock for 10.

Roberson and McGary are probably 11 and 12. Roberson will be active for his defense and will probably start at SG as much as I do not want to see that.

The #3 PG, Telfair or Semaj or random FA, is #13.

That leaves Huestis and Jarrett in the D-League, because the active roster is full.

The top 10 should be the every game rotation players. Unfortunately, I think Roberson will take minutes that should be going to PJ3 and Lamb. McGary isn't going to take Collison's or Perkins' 15 minutes a game. There is no lost opportunity cost because any veteran they sign at the league minimum can not be in the D-League. It was Jarrett or an empty roster spot unless you have more faith then I do in them not having Roberson on the active roster.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#40 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:11 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if we rolled with a twelve man active roster for part of the season with Semaj and Roberson taking time in the D-league.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder