Total votes: 68

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Kanter: Should they match? 

Post#1 » by bondom34 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 10:21 pm

Give it a vote.

I"m at no or sign and trade, that's just way too much money, but either way I still believe it can work out.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Podirk
Senior
And1: 179

Re: Kanter: Should they match? 

Post#2 » by Podirk » Thu Jul 9, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm pretty sure sign and trade is out of the question.

Thunder do it one because Thunder don't have an offensive talent like Kanter and two he will easily be tradable. Ta the only way in the future to get a trade in that range in the future cause you aren't trading KD RW or SI.
"no more questions for you bro.......troll"
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#3 » by Balkman32 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 10:41 pm

If he signs the offer sheet you can't trade him. If Portland really wanted him they would have approached Presti on a sign and trade. They will probably bring him back. But, lets say we could get one of their bigs like Leanord, trade exception, and a first round pick for Kanter. I would be ok with that. But, I don't think Kanter will be here for the life of the contract.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#4 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Jul 9, 2015 10:44 pm

bondom34 wrote:Give it a vote.

I"m at no or sign and trade, that's just way too much money, but either way I still believe it can work out.

CBAFAQ says you can't sign and trade a player who's signed an offer sheet.

I'm at no, but I'll probably talk myself into it if/when we do it.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,503

Post#5 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Jul 9, 2015 10:54 pm

You have to match it. Your other option is bring back Perkins, or someone similar, at the league minimum for that roster spot.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#6 » by gom » Thu Jul 9, 2015 11:34 pm

Sorry for voting if I am not supposed to (being a Heat fan), but my "yes" is because although I do not think Kanter is worth the max:

(a) salary cap is rising dramatically so 17.5m is the new 12m
(b) I want to see the Thunder get to the finals and a front court of Kanter/Ibaka/McGary/Adams (as well as Dakari Johnson) is solid.
(c) If he doesn't work out, you can trade him and get assets, right?

This may be the best year for the Thunder since 2012. You've Durant/Westbrook and a new point guard rookie who can help out. Sign Kanter and do a few trades and teach them to fear the Thunder.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
falcon107
Junior
And1: 20

Post#7 » by falcon107 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 11:36 pm

It is already too late to move for another player. OKC does not have any other chance but to match. It will possibly be the last season KD and Westbrook playing together, if both of them stay healthy, then OKC has real chance to be champion. And for the championship Kanter might me the missing link. IMHO 4 years 60 million level contract is what he deserves, but most of the time it is now how much it worths, but how you sell it...
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#8 » by miltk » Thu Jul 9, 2015 11:42 pm

westbrook and kd can't do this forever. if okc is not willing to pay lux tax, and HELP russell and kev, they can kiss both players goodbye. we KNOW lal will spend as much as needed to build around either or both players. this is just the way it is.
Podirk
Senior

Post#9 » by Podirk » Thu Jul 9, 2015 11:51 pm

gom wrote:Sorry for voting if I am not supposed to (being a Heat fan), but my "yes" is because although I do not think Kanter is worth the max:

(a) salary cap is rising dramatically so 17.5m is the new 12m
(b) I want to see the Thunder get to the finals and a front court of Kanter/Ibaka/McGary/Adams (as well as Dakari Johnson) is solid.
(c) If he doesn't work out, you can trade him and get assets, right?

This may be the best year for the Thunder since 2012. You've Durant/Westbrook and a new point guard rookie who can help out. Sign Kanter and do a few trades and teach them to fear the Thunder.

Well thought out and knowledgable post for non Thinder fan..kudos
Marcus50
Junior
And1: 85

Post#10 » by Marcus50 » Thu Jul 9, 2015 11:52 pm

Podirk wrote:I'm pretty sure sign and trade is out of the question.

Thunder do it one because Thunder don't have an offensive talent like Kanter and two he will easily be tradable. Ta the only way in the future to get a trade in that range in the future cause you aren't trading KD RW or SI.

The player option in year 4 seriously inhibits the trade value in 1-2 years so I would not go as far as saying its going to be easily trade-able especially if his defense remains as tragic as it is right now. With this signing comes a $28M tax bill so essentially Presti is committing to a player he believes is worth $40M to OKC next year. You are far more optimistic about this than I am. This is like the gambler who doubles his bets to make up for past losses.
Podirk
Senior

Post#11 » by Podirk » Thu Jul 9, 2015 11:53 pm

miltk wrote:westbrook and kd can't do this forever. if okc is not willing to pay lux tax, and HELP russell and kev, they can kiss both players goodbye. we KNOW lal will spend as much as needed to build around either or both players. this is just the way it is.

Did they pay the tax last year? Or did they get out of it?

There well into the tax so cheep cheep don apry
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,059

Post#12 » by slick_watts » Thu Jul 9, 2015 11:54 pm

Matching would be foolish. The Thunder are fine without Kanter. Kanter is a MLE-level contributor to this team with the kind of offensive talent already present. Sam Presti stacked the deck to be big tax payers this summer by avoiding it in earlier seasons (so as to not trigger repeater penalties). Unfortunately, the guy he ended up with is Enes Kanter, who's one of the worst defensive big men in the NBA, prone to being a malcontent, etc. If they match and play Kanter, they will have to devise their rotations around both his deficiencies on defense and his and his agent's propensity to cause trouble when Kanter isn't happy with his role.

The only reason they should match is if they feel that not matching would seriously impact Kevin Durant's decision to remain in OKC. Personally, I think the team will be good enough without him (better than it would be with him, even) that it won't be a big deal.

Adams 28 Ibaka 10 McGary 10
Ibaka 22 Durant 10 Collison 16
Durant 25 Morrow 23
Roberson 24 Singler 17 Augustin/Payne 6
Westbrook 35 Augustin/Payne 13

That looks fine to me.

edit: I want to add that, since we're matching an offer sheet, Kanter would have to consent to any trade for one year. Meaning if things do go sour with him, i.e. not happy with role, not improving on defense -- him and his insane agent Max Ergul could dictate trade scenarios. Do we want the possibility of that kind of distraction in Durant's FA year?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:03 am

miltk wrote:westbrook and kd can't do this forever. if okc is not willing to pay lux tax, and HELP russell and kev, they can kiss both players goodbye. we KNOW lal will spend as much as needed to build around either or both players. this is just the way it is.

They just paid, and Russ and KD have shown to be happy.

And LA just showed they'd pay for Hibbert and nobody wants to be there.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Podirk
Senior

Post#14 » by Podirk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:06 am

Marcus50 wrote:
Podirk wrote:I'm pretty sure sign and trade is out of the question.

The player option in year 4 seriously inhibits the trade value in 1-2 years so I would not go as far as saying its going to be easily trade-able especially if his defense remains as tragic as it is right now. With this signing comes a $28M tax bill so essentially Presti is committing to a player he believes is worth $40M to OKC next year. You are far more optimistic about this than I am. This is like the gambler who doubles his bets to make up for past losses.

1 player options are common outside of OKc
2. His defense was highlighted by the lack of rotation consistency, though he is poor at defense
3. Presti can easily get rid of garbage end of the bench players and reduce the tax
4. This is no blind gamble, it's maximizing assets
Podirk
Senior

Post#15 » by Podirk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:07 am

slick_watts wrote:Matching would be foolish. The Thunder are fine without Kanter. Kanter is a MLE-level contributor to this team with the kind of offensive talent already present. Sam Presti stacked the deck to be big tax payers this summer by avoiding it in earlier seasons (so as to not trigger repeater penalties). Unfortunately, the guy he ended up with is Enes Kanter, who's one of the worst defensive big men in the NBA, prone to being a malcontent, etc. If they match and play Kanter, they will have to devise their rotations around both his deficiencies on defense and his and his agent's propensity to cause trouble when Kanter isn't happy with his role.

The only reason they should match is if they feel that not matching would seriously impact Kevin Durant's decision to remain in OKC. Personally, I think the team will be good enough without him (better than it would be with him, even) that it won't be a big deal.

Adams 28 Ibaka 10 McGary 10
Ibaka 22 Durant 10 Collison 16
Durant 25 Morrow 23
Roberson 24 Singler 17 Augustin/Payne 6
Westbrook 35 Augustin/Payne 13

That looks fine to me.

edit: I want to add that, since we're matching an offer sheet, Kanter would have to consent to any trade for one year. Meaning if things do go sour with him, i.e. not happy with role, not improving on defense -- him and his insane agent Max Ergul could dictate trade scenarios. Do we want the possibility of that kind of distraction in Durant's FA year?

I think trade scenarios would fall next year..after the season.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#16 » by Old Man Game » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:39 am

I'm concerned matching this Kanter offer means they lose Serge or Russ. Possibly both on their next deals.
Podirk
Senior

Post#17 » by Podirk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:45 am

Old Man Game wrote:I'm concerned matching this Kanter offer means they lose Serge or Russ. Possibly both on their next deals.

Por que?
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#18 » by spearsy23 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:09 am

Should we match? No.
Do we have a choice? No.

Kanter needs to come off the bench, play about half the game and be the offensive focal point while he's in. He's atrocious defensively, a net negative, and a bit of a head case, but he could destroy 2nd units and work on his defense. A starting five of Russ/Robes/KD/Serge/Adams is still best in the league, following that up with DJ/A-Mo/Singler/McGary(Collison)/Kanter is the best bench in the league. The floor spacing on that second unit will just kill teams.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by bondom34 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:19 am

Old Man Game wrote:I'm concerned matching this Kanter offer means they lose Serge or Russ. Possibly both on their next deals.

Nah.
Podirk
Senior

Post#20 » by Podirk » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:22 am

bondom34 wrote:

Nah.

Kanter will be traded by then most likely.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder