Around The NBA:2016-2017

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Re: Around The NBA:2016-2017 

Post#321 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Jun 8, 2017 5:14 am

Dadouv47 wrote:These playoffs are so boring (and it's not because I hate cupcake). The gap between the best team to the second best team and then the rest of the field is just too big. There's no way for another franchise to contend for the next 3-4 years unless some team sign 2 superstars and good role players. Even the spurs would have to give up players to sign Chris paul. Their chances against Gs are not good.

Who is willing to trade picks to improve his team now seriously? NBA will be boring for a few years. Still want to see GOATbrook's prime but the NBA is losing a lot because of this disparity.

Some unintended consequences coming.

Salary cap is going to be lower than expected this offseason because of the short playoffs. Probably at least a million lower. That hurts Boston in particular and impacts their chances of getting a max FA while keeping a solid team. Also hurts SA if they want to move salary to sign CP3.

Luke Walton is already on record saying they're much less likely to commit resources to going after PG13. Teams are less likely to commit resources to guys that are on that second contract, in the 25 and up range. You'll have a few with mandates from ownership, but by and large the smart teams are probably going to bide their time and wait for injury or act of God or aging to take care of things while kind of treading water.

Also much more likely you'll see young stars coming into FA traded for cheaper than they would have been so a team can get something for them if it looks like they might walk, since Bron and That Guy paved the way. Cap is gonna be hard to come by though, so this may or may not be as bad.

Already guys noting the level of interest in trade for the top picks this year. The playoffs might suck for a few years. Which also affects the salary cap, dragging it down and making it harder for teams to sign players to compete with the Golden Boys. It also means they'll carry a punitive tax load. Who knows what Lacob will pay. But it won't really pinch for a couple of years.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#322 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 5:19 am

Hockey people. Find a real woman.

Spoiler:
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,177

Post#323 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 5:53 am

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#324 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Jun 8, 2017 5:55 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

They honestly should have won last year. Didn't need him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,177

Post#325 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 5:58 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just think about weak that is though.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#326 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Jun 8, 2017 6:00 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've spent the last year doing that every time people bring it up.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#327 » by bondom34 » Thu Jun 8, 2017 6:03 am

When someone tells you "we're going to win with or without you" and you think "well, he's right"....yeah that's a little weak. Nah, that's a lot weak.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Re: RE: Re: Around The NBA:2016-2017 

Post#328 » by Pillendreher » Thu Jun 8, 2017 8:13 am

bondom34 wrote:When someone tells you "we're going to win with or without you" and you think "well, he's right"....yeah that's a little weak. Nah, that's a lot weak.

He's a man child. Give him 5 % less talent and he does not become an NBA player.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Around The NBA:2016-2017 

Post#329 » by Pillendreher » Thu Jun 8, 2017 8:36 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It can't get much weaker than that. Imagine somebody telling Kobe, Russ, MJ, Bird, etc. 'Come be a ring whore for us; we don't need you and we're gonna keep telling you that as often as possible'.

Somebody should call the cops. This sounds a lot like a wife living with an abusive husband.

Have some self-respect. Good God.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#330 » by Old Man Game » Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:36 am

bondom34 wrote:I'll say it again guys, hockey. Heck I admit I lost a ton of interest this season. I'm here mainly for talking sports at work and I enjoy the other posters. But I've gained more interest in hockey and early football than I can remember.

We've been watching the Stanley Cup Finals as well and its fun. But its hard to just turn off your favorite sport and pick up something else because some charmin soft tool and his management decided he needed a cheap ring. I'll be mad about this until his and/or Curry's knees turn to jello.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#331 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:37 am

Th sad thing is the numbers are actually really good for the finals. Golden State hasn't had a negative impact...yet. I expect it to hit next year because there will be no more mystery left.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#332 » by Pillendreher » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:45 am

At least no 16-0.
InTheSabonus
Pro Prospect
And1: 548

Post#333 » by InTheSabonus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:19 am

Yesterday was just the most transparent example yet of how much league interference goes into the game. Giving Love an undeserved flagrant because durant cried about it to the refs, despite green doing something worse to shumpert previously and not getting a flagrant.

and then the whole tech foul debacle. It kind of makes me question sometimes how much I want to follow the nba. Particularly with what happened to Steven Adams nuts last year. The fix is so obviously in for golden state. What Green and Zaza get away with is just indefensible.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#334 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:48 am

InTheSabonus wrote:Yesterday was just the most transparent example yet of how much league interference goes into the game. Giving Love an undeserved flagrant because durant cried about it to the refs, despite green doing something worse to shumpert previously and not getting a flagrant.

and then the whole tech foul debacle. It kind of makes me question sometimes how much I want to follow the nba. Particularly with what happened to Steven Adams nuts last year. The fix is so obviously in for golden state. What Green and Zaza get away with is just indefensible.

I feel the same way.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#335 » by Pillendreher » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 am

InTheSabonus wrote:What Green and Zaza get away with is just indefensible.

Cousins wouldn't be able to stay on the court for 5 minutes with the **** these two **** pull night in, night out.
InTheSabonus
Pro Prospect
And1: 548

Post#336 » by InTheSabonus » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
InTheSabonus wrote:What Green and Zaza get away with is just indefensible.

Cousins wouldn't be able to stay on the court for 5 minutes with the **** these two **** pull night in, night out.

That's what I've been thinking.

Cousins is probably watching the finals fuming. No wonder he said "**** golden state". He could bring a draymond compilation - from kicking players in the balls, following and screaming at refs, even hitting a ref's arm - slam it on Adam Silver's desk and demand an explanation. He'd have a more than valid case.

And it's not that they unfairly target Cousins, he gets what he deserves...But Draymond is worse, yet gets penalised a fraction of the time. Boogie really does deserve a 'please explain'.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#337 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:10 pm

I don't know if any of you heard Doug Gottlieb this week when he was on for Colin on The Herd. He basically destroyed Cowherds argument for Lebron being the Goat by turning Cowherds Westbrook take back on him.

He said that when really intelligent people lose an argument, what do they do? They change the argument. They focus on something else. With Lebron now being 3-5 in the finals, the argument of competing with Jordan by getting 5-6 titles is dead. This week Cowherd has been saying Lebron proved his greatness in the finals by averaging a triple double.

What was Cowherds take in the first round of the playoffs? Now that playoff basketball is here the triple-double talk has died. Well it did until Cowherds argument for Lebron died and he needed to revive it. Gottlieb also pointed out that Cowherd belittled Russ' stats all season long.

As someone who listens to sports talk radio often, it's interesting how despite Cowherds dislike for Russ, the arguments he uses to prove Lebrons greatness also fit Russ.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#338 » by Pillendreher » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 pm

Knrstz wrote:I don't know if any of you heard Doug Gottlieb this week when he was on for Colin on The Herd. He basically destroyed Cowherds argument for Lebron being the Goat by turning Cowherds Westbrook take back on him.

He said that when really intelligent people lose an argument, what do they do? They change the argument. They focus on something else. With Lebron now being 3-5 in the finals, the argument of competing with Jordan by getting 5-6 titles is dead. This week Cowherd has been saying Lebron proved his greatness in the finals by averaging a triple double.

What was Cowherds take in the first round of the playoffs? Now that playoff basketball is here the triple-double talk has died. Well it did until Cowherds argument for Lebron died and he needed to revive it. Gottlieb also pointed out that Cowherd belittled Russ' stats all season long.

As someone who listens to sports talk radio often, it's interesting how despite Cowherds dislike for Russ, the arguments he uses to prove Lebrons greatness also fit Russ.

Russ is basically a smaller, but crazier version than LeBron.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#339 » by spearsy23 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:08 am

Cowherd is a total blowhard. He and Jim Rome are the worst things to have happened to sports radio. They're basically the sports world's version of shock jocks.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,291

Post#340 » by Jstock12 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder