2/6 | G53: Oklahoma City Thunder at Indiana Pacers | 6PM CST

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Re: 2/6 | G53: Oklahoma City Thunder at Indiana Pacers | 6PM CST 

Post#121 » by Pillendreher » Wed Feb 8, 2017 6:48 pm

bondom34 wrote:They sent Perkins to Utah. That's salary.

And again, this is not how 3 team trades work. You can continue to ignore reality, and I can tell you the sky is purple. It will be just as valid an argument.

WE SENT PERKINS TO UTAH, NOT DETROIT.

All Detroit did was send a 2nd round pick. That pick went to Utah and that's why it was a 3 team trade. Take that (meaningless) pick out of the equation and the trades are as follows:

Trade 1:

OKC OUT: Jerret, Perkins, Pleiss, 2018 1st Round Pick (protected)
OKC IN: Kanter, Novak

UTA OUT: Kanter, Novak
UTA IN: Jerret, Perkins Pleiss, 2018 1st Round Pick (protected)

Trade 2:

OKC OUT: Jackson
OKC IN: Singler, Augustin, 2019 2nd Round Pick

DET OUT: Singler, Augustin, 2019 2nd Round Pick
DET IN: Jackson

The only thing missing is that one 2nd rounder going from Detroit to Utah.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#122 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 7:13 pm

]
bondom34 wrote:Can you prove this, or is it your idea? Because the fact that no free agents sign in OKC says something about either the city or nobody wanting to play with the players.

That's not how this works bud. Your contention is it isn't presti's fault we haven't signed anyone --> because free agents don't want to come to OKC -->and we know this because presti hasn't signed anyone. That's circular reasoning. What we do know is that everyone who has ever played there has had great things to say, no opposing players have disparaged it, and cities of comparable size have been able to sign guys. You think the patty mills, jamychael greens and troy Daniels of the world gave a damn about market size? They only cared about getting their next contract. Yeah, it's tough to identify those guys, that's why you're paid millions of dollars.

And no, most good teams don't. The Spurs have old guys on discounts until this year. GSW has Curry's deal on a discount. The Cavs do but lucked into Lebron.

Prior to taking those discounts the spurs had max contracts and still had good role players. Golden state had two max contracts last year. Miami had two. La has three. Memphis has two. We aren't the first team to deal with the salary cap, and the problem was never our max contracts it was the albatross that was perk and then Kanter's.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#123 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 7:19 pm

bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Not this year they haven't been, and Jackson's already on thin ice on another team.

They weren't last year either, and we've been trying to trade Kanter for two years.

Source? Because I haven't seen that from anyone but fans. And even there not all do.

Have you seen a source for Jackson being on thin ice with anyone but fans? Because it seems like you're shifting goal posts.

But there was that report that we had a Kanter trade lined up this off season. I don't remember who it was by but I know you've seen it.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#124 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 7:22 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

And again, this is not how 3 team trades work. You can continue to ignore reality, and I can tell you the sky is purple. It will be just as valid an argument.

All Detroit did was send a 2nd round pick. That pick went to Utah and that's why it was a 3 team trade. Take that (meaningless) pick out of the equation and the trades are as follows:

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Not backing you on this one. It was a three team trade, Utah is the one that let Detroit suck value, can't blame presti for that. He shouldn't have given up a first though.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#125 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 7:45 pm

bondom34 wrote:So fire Presti and......

There's part of me that wants him fired just like when Russ got hurt, because someone would come and run the team to the ground.

Using that logic there are only (by your count) ~6 people in the world that are capable of running a franchise without burning it down? What has presti done to put himself ahead of the gm's of San Antonio, Golden State, Cleveland, Boston, Miami, Toronto, Memphis, Houston, dallas, Utah? He was allowed to pull a hinkie before it was cool and lucked into getting the 2nd pick instead of being the guy that missed with oden. While you're talking about his huge handicaps that was a massive advantage that most gm's aren't afforded. To his credit he took advantage of that opportunity and drafted the three best players in the NBA this season, but you can't mention that without also mentioning that he allowed two of them to get away, one explicitly his fault, without winning a championship. That's not a failure that's because of the market size, that's a failure in team building.

To be clear, I've never started unequivocally that he should be fired, but he's made enough mistakes and squandered enough assets that if he were to be axed it wouldn't be undeserving. He's a great gm if you want to rebuild, but he's done nothing to instill confidence that he can build a cohesive team around his superstars.

And as a reminder, he's the guy that fired brooks unfairly. He set the precedent for his own firing.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#126 » by Pillendreher » Wed Feb 8, 2017 7:59 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Not backing you on this one. It was a three team trade, Utah is the one that let Detroit suck value, can't blame presti for that. He shouldn't have given up a first though.

The argument is that we did not get Kanter for Jackson. We got Singler and Augustin for Jackson.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#127 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:23 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Not backing you on this one. It was a three team trade, Utah is the one that let Detroit suck value, can't blame presti for that. He shouldn't have given up a first though.

The argument is that we did not get Kanter for Jackson. We got Singler and Augustin for Jackson.

Nah, we got Kanter/Augustin/Singler/novak for RJ/perk/jerrett/pleiss/first it was all one trade and without either part the other couldn't have been made. Singler + Augustin made too much money without the Utah part of the trade.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#128 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:36 pm

Pillendreher wrote:

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Yeah...you're sort wrong on this.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:37 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:They weren't last year either, and we've been trying to trade Kanter for two years.

Source? Because I haven't seen that from anyone but fans. And even there not all do.

Have you seen a source for Jackson being on thin ice with anyone but fans? Because it seems like you're shifting goal posts.

But there was that report that we had a Kanter trade lined up this off season. I don't remember who it was by but I know you've seen it.

He was rumored to be in trade talks for Rubio 2 weeks ago.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:38 pm

spearsy23 wrote:

There's part of me that wants him fired just like when Russ got hurt, because someone would come and run the team to the ground.

Using that logic there are only (by your count) ~6 people in the world that are capable of running a franchise without burning it down? What has presti done to put himself ahead of the gm's of San Antonio, Golden State, Cleveland, Boston, Miami, Toronto, Memphis, Houston, dallas, Utah? He was allowed to pull a hinkie before it was cool and lucked into getting the 2nd pick instead of being the guy that missed with oden. While you're talking about his huge handicaps that was a massive advantage that most gm's aren't afforded. To his credit he took advantage of that opportunity and drafted the three best players in the NBA this season, but you can't mention that without also mentioning that he allowed two of them to get away, one explicitly his fault, without winning a championship. That's not a failure that's because of the market size, that's a failure in team building.

To be clear, I've never started unequivocally that he should be fired, but he's made enough mistakes and squandered enough assets that if he were to be axed it wouldn't be undeserving. He's a great gm if you want to rebuild, but he's done nothing to instill confidence that he can build a cohesive team around his superstars.

And as a reminder, he's the guy that fired brooks unfairly. He set the precedent for his own firing.

I'm not saying this, I'm saying the franchise is in a pretty good spot. You, exactly you said not 2 months ago there aren't 10 teams in a better spot than the Thunder. Presti got them there.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#131 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:51 pm

bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Source? Because I haven't seen that from anyone but fans. And even there not all do.

Svg straight up said it wasn't true.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:53 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Have you seen a source for Jackson being on thin ice with anyone but fans? Because it seems like you're shifting goal posts.

I mean, not sure what else he'd say.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#133 » by Pillendreher » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:03 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

Nah, we got Kanter/Augustin/Singler/novak for RJ/perk/jerrett/pleiss/first it was all one trade and without either part the other couldn't have been made. Singler + Augustin made too much money without the Utah part of the trade.

Ah, now I know what bondom's talking about. That I understand (now :P).

Still a bad trade.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#134 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:20 pm

bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:

I'm not saying this, I'm saying the franchise is in a pretty good spot. You, exactly you said not 2 months ago there aren't 10 teams in a better spot than the Thunder. Presti got them there.

I'd stand by that, but the sole reason is russ. Without him I'd say we're in a worse position than at least 25 other teams. Besides, it's not like 10th is particularly impressive, it's towards the top of average, and it means we've fallen every year since 2012. So five straight years getting worse.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#135 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:27 pm

bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:He was rumored to be in trade talks for Rubio 2 weeks ago.

Considering he's been a straight shooter his entire career there's no reason to think he's lying. You're completely ready to dismiss reports that durant and Russ want to leave when they denied it, so some consistency would be nice.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:32 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Svg straight up said it wasn't true.

Considering he's been a straight shooter his entire career there's no reason to think he's lying. You're completely ready to dismiss reports that durant and Russ want to leave when they denied it, so some consistency would be nice.

Isn't that sort of different? I mean, when has a GM ever come out and said they're shopping someone? It's not like players who are actually in control of the situation entirely. A GM saying he's shopping someone hurts leverage.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#137 » by spearsy23 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:54 pm

bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I mean, not sure what else he'd say.

Isn't that sort of different? I mean, when has a GM ever come out and said they're shopping someone? It's not like players who are actually in control of the situation entirely. A GM saying he's shopping someone hurts leverage.

Phil, like twenty minutes ago. Even beyond that there's a thousand ways to answer the question without flat denying it.

And the idea that saying you're shopping someone hurts leverage is fan fiction. In order to shop someone you have to actually call the other gm's and let it be known a guy is available anyway.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by bondom34 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:58 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Considering he's been a straight shooter his entire career there's no reason to think he's lying. You're completely ready to dismiss reports that durant and Russ want to leave when they denied it, so some consistency would be nice.

Phil, like twenty minutes ago. Even beyond that there's a thousand ways to answer the question without flat denying it.

And the idea that saying you're shopping someone hurts leverage is fan fiction. In order to shop someone you have to actually call the other gm's and let it be known a guy is available anyway.

What did Phil say now? Man that story is interesting to me. Its not normal for GMs to admit that stuff, but the Melo story is just crazy now.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#139 » by Pillendreher » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:23 pm

bondom34 wrote:What did Phil say now? Man that story is interesting to me. Its not normal for GMs to admit that stuff, but the Melo story is just crazy now.

I don't think it's that surprising. I reckon Phil wants to get rid of Melo, yet Melo doesn't want to waive the NTC. This way, he's forcing him out by going public.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder