Welcome to OKC Aleksej POKUsevski

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Re: Welcome to OKC Aleksej POKUsevski 

Post#21 » by Old Man Game » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:40 pm

slick_watts wrote:there's a reason he went 17th and not 5th. this is a swing for the fences pick. i watched a couple games and saw all the things jake mentioned. you make a pick like this hoping you can coach / train the bad habits out of him while building on the unusual skillset. it's boom or bust.
Maybe the most high ceiling, low floor guy we've seen in several years. Those physical tools give him almost unlimited potential. But if his frame doesn't hold up he may literally never play in the league.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#22 » by spearsy23 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:50 pm

Does he actually have a skillset to build on? Doesn't look like it. He has an athletic profile.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#23 » by Old Man Game » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Does he actually have a skillset to build on? Doesn't look like it. He has an athletic profile.
From what I've seen he's fairly fluid. Got a decent feel for the game and handle for his age.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,131

Post#24 » by slick_watts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:06 pm

spearsy23 wrote:Does he actually have a skillset to build on? Doesn't look like it. He has an athletic profile.

his ball handling, passing and jump shot are + skills considering his age and height. yes, i think he has a skillset to build on.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,276

Post#25 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm

I get the impression he doesn’t do much elite. However doing what he does with his size is enough to make him a high end prospect.
I think people would feel better about the pick at 17 if we had drafted someone before him, making him our non premier pick of the draft

Givony’s post draft break down-

Strengths
- Has unique dimensions for a perimeter player, standing more than 7-foot in shoes, with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and 9-foot-1 standing reach. Smooth and fluid for his size. He is the youngest player in this draft class, not turning 19 until late December.
- Skilled and versatile offensive player. Can make 3-pointers running off screens or pulling up off the dribble. Takes defensive rebounds coast to coast. Attacks closeouts with either hand. Can play pick-and-roll and pass off a live dribble.
- Effective rebounder who gets in passing lanes and rotates impressively to protect the rim.

Improvement areas
- Hasn't been scouted as thoroughly as other international draft prospects. Played only 254 minutes this season in the Greek second division, a low level of competition. Was out for nearly three months because of an injury.
- Weighs only around 200 pounds. Frame looks several years away from being NBA-ready. Lacks toughness and physicality even beyond his lack of strength. Frequently beaten off the dribble. Shies away from contact inside the paint.
- Has struggled to put the ball in the basket efficiently for much of his career. Career 40% 2-point and 32% 3-point shooter. Shows impressive shot-making prowess at times but lacks consistency.

Projected role: Mismatch, playmaking 4

--Jonathan Givony

Post-Draft Analysis
The Thunder traded up to No. 17 to select Aleksej Pokusevski here.

Pokusevski being targeted by and subsequently picked by the Thunder was one of the worst-kept secrets in the entire draft process, one that has reportedly been in the works for the better part of the past year. With most of the NBA aware of the Thunder's intentions, Sam Presti was forced to get creative and orchestrate a trade to move into the mid-teens to ensure that they were able to draft him.

Arguably the most unique prospect in the draft as a 7-footer who handles and passes the ball like a guard, Pokusevski is years away from contributing from a physical standpoint, but has the type of perimeter talent and versatility that is very difficult to find, giving him one of the highest upsides of any prospect in the draft. -- Jonathan Givony
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#26 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:50 am

David Blatt on Poku. Says he's 7'1.5 now:

Pokumon
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#27 » by Pokumon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 am

Does he have a skillet?

Elite ball handling for his size. Elite passing for his size. High level 3pt shooting off movement for his size. Elite shot blocking.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:23 am

Pokumon wrote:Does he have a skillet?

Elite ball handling for his size. Elite passing for his size. High level 3pt shooting off movement for his size. Elite shot blocking.

I think his ball handling is elite for his size. I like his passing potential given that he clearly sees scoring opportunities for others well, and when he does, he can make the pass quickly from a lot of different angles. But I don't think it's elite given how much he turns it over. Good potential, though.

I don't think his 3 point shooting is elite, but he looks more comfortable than most 7-footers his age which is something to build on. Lauri Markkanen shot 39% playing D-1 at Poku's age. That's elite for a 6'11-7'0 guy. Poku is at 32%. Markkanen also had a total field goal of 49% compared to Poku's 40%. Markannen is sitting at 35% from 3 in the NBA and 43% field goal.

I don't think his shot blocking is elite, because it mostly comes as a result of significantly shorter players dribbling directly at him or weakside blocks at the rim. When he is playing against coordinated, athletic, grown men his size, his block rate is going to plummet. Especially when his name is on a scouting report that says, "Pump fake."

Welcome to the board. I like your username :)
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:47 am

Here's a more recent game from the greek league:

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:52 pm

jake_swivel wrote:David Blatt on Poku. Says he's 7'1.5 now:

I think anyone who has expectations for him this year will be disappointed. If the G league happens, I would be ok leaving him there this year. I know we promised to bring him over but he would probably be better off as a draft and stash. This rushed off season really messes things up.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:19 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
I think anyone who has expectations for him this year will be disappointed. If the G league happens, I would be ok leaving him there this year. I know we promised to bring him over but he would probably be better off as a draft and stash. This rushed off season really messes things up.

The only benefit of him being over here as far as I can tell is a strength program. There’s a video of him lifting in one of his highlight videos and his form is so awful it hurts my joints. And I’m not 7’ 200 pounds.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

The only benefit of him being over here as far as I can tell is a strength program. There’s a video of him lifting in one of his highlight videos and his form is so awful it hurts my joints. And I’m not 7’ 200 pounds.

How does that work though since the season starts in a month? The guy can't go and do a bunch of squats monday and then play a game on tuesday. I would guess that the strength program is on hold until next summer.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:How does that work though since the season starts in a month? The guy can't go and do a bunch of squats monday and then play a game on tuesday. I would guess that the strength program is on hold until next summer.

Apparently this dude has worked for the nuggets for 25 years:

“the Nuggets have a strength and conditioning program that is adhered to throughout the season. This focuses on strengthening the thigh muscles (quadriceps) muscles as well as improving flexibility and keeping weight down.

http://www.espn.com/trainingroom/s/fitness/index.html

If I had to guess, the core players lift to maintain strength while rookies and end of the bench guys lift more intensely.

Here’s Kobe:

“I started lifting weights at 17 when I got to the NBA. Nothing fancy, just basic, time-tested lifting methods that focused on strengthening one group of muscle at a time. Over the meat of my career, whether we were in season or it was summer, I would lift for 90 minutes on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. When I say lift, I mean, heavy, hard can’t feel your arms type of lift. After that, I would go into the gym and shoot.”

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/kobe-bryant-describes-how-he-approached-weight-lifting-throughout-his-nba-career/
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:58 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:How does that work though since the season starts in a month? The guy can't go and do a bunch of squats monday and then play a game on tuesday. I would guess that the strength program is on hold until next summer.

Apparently this dude has worked for the nuggets for 25 years:

“the Nuggets have a strength and conditioning program that is adhered to throughout the season. This focuses on strengthening the thigh muscles (quadriceps) muscles as well as improving flexibility and keeping weight down.

http://www.espn.com/trainingroom/s/fitness/index.html

If I had to guess, the core players lift to maintain strength while rookies and end of the bench guys lift more intensely.

Here’s Kobe:

“I started lifting weights at 17 when I got to the NBA. Nothing fancy, just basic, time-tested lifting methods that focused on strengthening one group of muscle at a time. Over the meat of my career, whether we were in season or it was summer, I would lift for 90 minutes on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. When I say lift, I mean, heavy, hard can’t feel your arms type of lift. After that, I would go into the gym and shoot.”

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/kobe-bryant-describes-how-he-approached-weight-lifting-throughout-his-nba-career/

That's interesting. It does sound like a lot of what the nuggets do during the season is more maintenance related. It said specifically that their program was for keeping their weight down rather than gaining weight. I do think its better to take it slow with his strengthening program. When you try to put on 20 lbs on a couple of months and you're body isn't used to lifting, that's when the tendon and ligament damage happens.

In regard to Kobe, I've tried shooting a basketball after working my triceps. Its a waste of time.
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#35 » by spearsy23 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 pm

When you have to qualify every statement with 'for his size' it's a red flag. Especially for a guy who can't do the things a normal guy 'his size' is expected to.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by jake_swivel » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 pm

Mostly I’d just want him to learn HOW to lift weights. Doing it well is actually a skill and can prevent injuries both while lifting and in daily life. I’ve been lifting for like 20 years and I’m still learning.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:15 pm

I don't know how much stats are an indicator or what he'll become. Looking at Porzingis' shooting stats in Euro league they were all over the place. He was barely over 30% three point shooting until his final 16 games with at the Eurocup. His free throw shooting was never as high as Poku's. Also, he was almost 20 when he was drafted.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/kristaps-porzingis-1.html
spearsy23
RealGM

Post#38 » by spearsy23 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:49 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I don't know how much stats are an indicator or what he'll become. Looking at Porzingis' shooting stats in Euro league they were all over the place. He was barely over 30% three point shooting until his final 16 games with at the Eurocup. His free throw shooting was never as high as Poku's. Also, he was almost 20 when he was drafted.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/kristaps-porzingis-1.html

3 point percentage is kinda whatever, the scary thing is the 2 point percentage.
Pokumon
Ballboy

Post#39 » by Pokumon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:00 pm

jake_swivel wrote:

I think his ball handling is elite for his size. I like his passing potential given that he clearly sees scoring opportunities for others well, and when he does, he can make the pass quickly from a lot of different angles. But I don't think it's elite given how much he turns it over. Good potential, though.

I don't think his 3 point shooting is elite, but he looks more comfortable than most 7-footers his age which is something to build on. Lauri Markkanen shot 39% playing D-1 at Poku's age. That's elite for a 6'11-7'0 guy. Poku is at 32%. Markkanen also had a total field goal of 49% compared to Poku's 40%. Markannen is sitting at 35% from 3 in the NBA and 43% field goal.

I don't think his shot blocking is elite, because it mostly comes as a result of significantly shorter players dribbling directly at him or weakside blocks at the rim. When he is playing against coordinated, athletic, grown men his size, his block rate is going to plummet. Especially when his name is on a scouting report that says, "Pump fake."

Welcome to the board. I like your username :)

Passing and shooting I both qualify with with his size. And for shooting I qualify further with on the move. His percentages are low, but shows potential given the types of shots he takes (3s off pin downs, step backs etc) His 3pt shooting, and shooting potential is elite for a 7'1 guy imo since most those guys can't shoot at all. Vs a stretch big I guess his shooting isn't elite, but the question was what skillset he has and I think that qualifies as one.

Good point about shot blocking. The length is there so we will have to see if he can improve on feel.

Thanks for the welcome! Poku is my favorite player but I will try to be objective!
Pokumon
Ballboy

Post#40 » by Pokumon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:02 pm

spearsy23 wrote:

When you have to qualify every statement with 'for his size' it's a red flag. Especially for a guy who can't do the things a normal guy 'his size' is expected to.

Its not a red flag if he's actually that size. Which he is. What was shaq's skillset, if you ignore "for that size"? Or Prinzingis or any big man.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder