2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1321 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:59 am

Dieng just looks miles away to me. Watching him last year it felt like he didn't even know what he was supposed to be in the NBA.

I love the physical tools and he's got some feel for the game so I'm not writing him off but I found year one concerning.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#1322 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:24 am

Old Man Game wrote:Dieng just looks miles away to me. Watching him last year it felt like he didn't even know what he was supposed to be in the NBA.

I love the physical tools and he's got some feel for the game so I'm not writing him off but I found year one concerning.

The injury didn't help. For a guy like Dieng I just hope he shows SOMETHING by the end of year two. I think the fact that our other rookie, J Dub, was so NBA ready made Dieng look even worse.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1323 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:35 am

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:Summer isn't done. We have trade value in Micic, Mann and Waters (Poku?) and a lot of picks. Perhaps Sam has already a plan to get a bigger player in the near future. Trust in Presti, he is a very good navigator.

I'd be surprised and even a bit angry if Sam doesn't make some moves to shore up the front line. I really think Sam's approach of constantly tempering fans expectations for the team hasn't been good for attendance and the overall enthusiasm for the casual fan base.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#1324 » by Devilanche » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:50 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Mr Thunder Nick wrote:Summer isn't done. We have trade value in Micic, Mann and Waters (Poku?) and a lot of picks. Perhaps Sam has already a plan to get a bigger player in the near future. Trust in Presti, he is a very good navigator.

I'd be surprised and even a bit angry if Sam doesn't make some moves to shore up the front line. I really think Sam's approach of constantly tempering fans expectations for the team hasn't been good for attendance and the overall enthusiasm for the casual fan base.

I think we are going as is with our front court .

I don’t even see us using our MLE on someone like say Naz Reid or someone of that range.

If we are performing at trade deadline and none of Poku/Dieng/anyone bigger than 6’8” grab that other big spot , we might look to make a trade but even then slow and steady steps .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1325 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:08 pm

Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I don’t even see us using our MLE on someone like say Naz Reid or someone of that range.

If we are performing at trade deadline and none of Poku/Dieng/anyone bigger than 6’8” grab that other big spot , we might look to make a trade but even then slow and steady steps .

You might be right but I think that could be a mistake. I'm not suggesting we push in all of our chips but I think it's wise to start to shift the philosophy to making moves that build around our core guys. It's a fine line between being patient and staying in development mode too long.

Roster construction is going to be difficult with the new CBA so there is value in continuing to develop our own guys. I think Shai is different than a lot of stars in ways that benefits a small market franchise. However I'm not going to assume he has endless patience. I think there is a way to pursue both paths at the same time.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,138

Post#1326 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:57 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I'd be surprised and even a bit angry if Sam doesn't make some moves to shore up the front line. I really think Sam's approach of constantly tempering fans expectations for the team hasn't been good for attendance and the overall enthusiasm for the casual fan base.

You might be right but I think that could be a mistake. I'm not suggesting we push in all of our chips but I think it's wise to start to shift the philosophy to making moves that build around our core guys. It's a fine line between being patient and staying in development mode too long.

Roster construction is going to be difficult with the new CBA so there is value in continuing to develop our own guys. I think Shai is different than a lot of stars in ways that benefits a small market franchise. However I'm not going to assume he has endless patience. I think there is a way to pursue both paths at the same time.

yeah think it's very tricky to find the right balance but I'm scared Presti is a bit too patient...maybe he's overrating Poku/Dieng/JWill impact or he just want to build it super slowly.

We are a Chet injury away from being in huge trouble so I think at least adding a veteran Center or PF that could contribute and also help developing our young guys would be ideal to stay in that line where u can still develop our young players as best as possible while competing a bit and avoid a lost season in case the worst happen to Chet/Poku/Dieng (mentioning Dieng but I doubt he will develop into a PF, time will tell).
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1327 » by Devilanche » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:01 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I'd be surprised and even a bit angry if Sam doesn't make some moves to shore up the front line. I really think Sam's approach of constantly tempering fans expectations for the team hasn't been good for attendance and the overall enthusiasm for the casual fan base.

I prefer giving the team some pieces to get them better as well. It doesn’t have to be long term pierces , it’s just pieces that will help the team perform better today.

But after using parts of the capspace to absorb Bertans, I believe Presti still preaching patience this offseason.

Would like to be wrong anyway. Muscala help the front court so much and we know he’s fairly limited. Just imagine what a more ready big could help the rest of the team with .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1328 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:01 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

nice video if Cason becomes a star

that's the full video. Adam had Cason at #9 on his board so he obviously liked the pick. He thinks Cason's passing ability is really underrated (maybe Presti thinks the same since he wants guys that can pass the ball)
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1329 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter

no need to lie about the city
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1330 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:40 pm

Read on Twitter

"one of our goals" is better than saying plan B I guess
mr570
Senior
And1: 294

Post#1331 » by mr570 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:53 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Suppose he could also be talking about moving up in the second/trading back in to the first. I'm sure there was a little bit of an assumption that either was possible.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1332 » by Devilanche » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:42 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

no need to lie about the city

It’s not a bad lie.

For players there are city you want live in and city you want avoid.
We probably are in the big bunch of indifferent about the city .
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1333 » by Devilanche » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:44 pm

mr570 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Suppose he could also be talking about moving up in the second/trading back in to the first. I'm sure there was a little bit of an assumption that either was possible.

Second goal was to get spacing - Bertran covers that . Hopefully well given it’s probably contract year for him.

Third goal is to sign someone in free agency.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1334 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:59 pm

Devilanche wrote:
mr570 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Second goal was to get spacing - Bertran covers that . Hopefully well given it’s probably contract year for him.

We can't play Bertans more than 60 or so games or he gets +12 millions guaranteed on his 2024-2025 contract...so he's basically a guy we won't play. You can't even consider rehabing his trade value because no team wants to deal with his contract the year after if he plays a lot. Gotta sit him on the bench if u want to find a trade partner.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#1335 » by kdthunderup » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:14 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Dieng just looks miles away to me. Watching him last year it felt like he didn't even know what he was supposed to be in the NBA.

I thought defensively he was really sound for a rookie but agreed that his offense still looks 1-2 years away. He has shown flashes where he looks really smooth and fluid which gives you hope that he will be able to tie it all together eventually.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1336 » by Devilanche » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:16 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
mr570 wrote:Suppose he could also be talking about moving up in the second/trading back in to the first. I'm sure there was a little bit of an assumption that either was possible.

We can't play Bertans more than 60 or so games or he gets +12 millions guaranteed on his 2024-2025 contract...so he's basically a guy we won't play. You can't even consider rehabing his trade value because no team wants to deal with his contract the year after if he plays a lot. Gotta sit him on the bench if u want to find a trade partner.

That muscala role won’t be playing >40 in most case. Near the end we probably will be playing our two way more anyway so there’s still time to play him roughly 30-50% of the game in our first half of the season. Have him on the bench and when Joe shot is not falling and wiggins isn’t as well, bertran get a chance .
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#1337 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:44 am

Zagor wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:Presti has never understood building a complete team. He gets a few great pieces and then fails to put the rest of the team in place. He didn't need to do much this off-season. He made the trade up he needed to make to get Lively, which is the defensive anchor the team needs, and let Chet play PF because he isn't a center. Then he could've moved Dort, with picks, for another solid big, like John Collins, and then you have Chet as your 6th man in his rookie season. They had enough 1-3 with SGA, Giddy, Jalen Williams, Mann, Joe, Wiggins, etc.

Presti has a team overloaded at 1-3 with nothing you can depend on as quality play at 4/5 unless you are going to play extremely undersized which is fine if you just want to be a fringe playoff team that is "exciting and scrappy", but it is absolute garbage if your goal is winning a championship.

On the contrary, Chet is center. Real center.
Whatever success this team will have, it will be with him playing center position.

Starting lineup is undersized, yes. But if Dieng improves by his third season, situation is drastically different.
Roster building is in middle phase. There is still a lot of time to add bigger bodies.

Just like Dirk was a real center? Dirk was bigger and stronger as a rookie than Chet will likely ever be and he was pushed around in the paint by centers most of his career. Dirk is the player we all hope Chet becomes. A legendary power forward, but in no way will he become an above average center.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#1338 » by retrobro90 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:09 am

Already liked the pick because I believed in Cason as someone with a high floor but I can't stop thinking about sliding him into Dort's spot with the starters. If Dort could be an average finisher and make legit passes attacking closeouts he'd be phenomenal and I think Cason has the ability to do that in time. Probably never have Dort's strength and low center of gravity for switching onto bigger guys but he can still be a big time disruptor in his own way.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#1339 » by getrichordie » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:36 am

Cason is ready to replace Dort today. Expect Dort to either be asked to come off the bench or traded at the next deadline, if not before.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#1340 » by jake_swivel » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:35 pm

getrichordie wrote:Cason is ready to replace Dort today. Expect Dort to either be asked to come off the bench or traded at the next deadline, if not before.

Wiggins was ready to replace dort last year but we watched Lu bricking layups until the bitter end.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder