Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Big nick
Junior
And1: 318

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#1501 » by Big nick » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:31 pm

Xatticus wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Big nick wrote:So will we draft Kyle Filipowski he looks like a great big for us.

I project him to go top 10. He should be gone before OKC has a pick unless they trade up. I think Zach Eddy would be a great pick. He is huge, 7'4 with a 7'10 wingspan and plug him in at center with Chet at PF and then dare teams to drive on us. I also like Kel'el Ware as a stretch 5. If Presti were to draft Eddy and Ware I'd be happy on draft night. I also like Clingan, although I'd hope for improved FT shooting from him.

ESPN has Flipowski going #8 in their most recent mock draft. Bleacher report has him mocked 9th. Tankathon has him mocked 10th.

Keep in mind that is theoretically possible that OKC has no first round pick this year.

You couldn't find a worse fit for this team than Edey.

Edey is architecturally unsound. His size is a tremendous advantage at the collegiate level, but he is incredibly slow. Luka Garza appears fleet-footed by comparison. This is why he is still playing for Purdue as a senior. He dominated in college last year, but nobody was going to burn a first-round pick on him.

We clear the paint and attack the basket to get the defense shifting. Having Edey on the floor would allow a team to camp one big dude in the paint at all times, which would be miserable for SGA and Jalen.

I agree edey is just slow no shot he would just clog up the lane and besides he thinks he should go top five, delusional.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 538

Post#1502 » by bbms » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:06 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

it's very very unlikely but no protection is a bit crazy...play in still exist.

this is exactly the only type of transaction i thought it was a top necessity

need to flip some frps into 2028+++ frps

the excess spending power of okc is turning good potential okc moves into really expensive moves, see a first for olynik

so it makes much more sense to just turn current spending power into future spending power
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#1503 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:23 am

Big nick wrote:I agree edey is just slow no shot he would just clog up the lane and besides he thinks he should go top five, delusional.

Have you watched him play this year compared to last? He is a lot more agile with improved mobility. He still has some work to do, but he has only been playing basketball for 5-6 years and has the work ethic to continue to improve. He also wouldn't be the first big man to come into the NBA and develop a mid-range game and 3pt shooting, although those won't have to be significant parts of his game for him to be impactful. If the goal is to emulate the GS dynasty and playstyle those championship teams had Bogut and Zaza "clogging the paint". His FT% suggests that he can add a mid-range game and decent 3pt shot. It's no guarantee, but I have been very clear about how I feel OKC needs a big man and adding one would require adjusting their playbook. It is why I didn't want someone like Drummond at the deadline that wouldn't fit with the current offense.

Having an entire off-season to work it out would allow them to adjust the offense around a traditional big man that would drastically improve the defense while allowing for less gambling for turnovers. It would allow the team to remain better rested during the season. I'm not married Edey as there are a few others that could accomplish similar things and have range on their jumper already, i.e. Ware and Tyler Smith. I think Smith might fit more seamlessly with what OKC is currently doing as a small ball 5.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#1504 » by Balkman32 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:03 pm

Are there any protections on the ‘28 pick swap?
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#1505 » by Balkman32 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:07 pm

Or the 2nd rounders that went to the Hornets ?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1506 » by cjmcallist » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:08 pm

Balkman32 wrote:Are there any protections on the ‘28 pick swap?

I believe it was reported that there are no protections on the pick.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#1507 » by cjmcallist » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:13 pm

Big nick wrote:That was a major f up not getting gafford. That guy is a beast size speed and motor.

I get the allure but disagree. Gafford would clog the lane and bog down the offense.

We play 5-out and Gafford has taken one (ONE!) three his entire career.

Any rebounding he added would be offset by how bad he would hurt us on offense.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man

Post#1508 » by cjmcallist » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:15 pm

With Kupchack out I’m chewing on the idea of a Lamelo trade this off-season. He has his warts, but he’s a big versatile guard that could really help.

Hard to know how he would play on a good team when he’s been mired in a bad situation. But I could see it working really well.
Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#1509 » by Bremzi » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:35 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
Big nick wrote:That was a major f up not getting gafford. That guy is a beast size speed and motor.

I get the allure but disagree. Gafford would clog the lane and bog down the offense.

To be honest, the opponent's defense would stand about the same with Gafford as it does with Giddey (i.e. defender being in the lane not respecting Giddeys/Gaffords shot). Except Gafford could run pick and roll as screener and a lob threat, which is something Giddey isn't capable of doing. With switching Gafford would be then jumping over a smaller player and could get offensive rebounds that Giddey does not get. Also his efg% is way higher than Giddey. Not only that, he could rebound defensively better than Giddey, be lengthier and cover more space.

It's potentially questionable what's better in comparison to a good 3 and D wing, but Giddey just isn't part of the solution as a fit on this team's starting five.

Besides, every team basically has 1 guy that clogs the lane a bit and they all can succcesfully integrate it in the offense. Anyways, I hope Presti get's a normal big guy asap during the offseason.
Big nick
Junior

Post#1510 » by Big nick » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:41 pm

cjmcallist wrote:

Did you not watch our game with Dallas, lob city with gafford he was a beast.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1511 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:10 pm

Big nick wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:

Dallas' offense is built around playing a big body center that lives in the paint. That is why they drafted Lively. OKC's offense runs totally different. You can't stick a traditional center on the court with OKC without drastically changing the offensive playbook unless you want to watch calamity ensue. That is why players like Gafford, Drummond and Claxon were not options. Olynyk would have been the perfect backup to Chet, but Presti is in direct opposition to trying to win a championship as we have seen for a very long time. I feel bad for SGA being stuck on a team that doesn't respect what he represents, a championship window, for three more years. At this point I'm rooting for him to pull a KD and leave when his contract is up. Maybe then the fans will wake up to see the problem is the idiot that doesn't want to bring a championship to OKC not the superstar players that want to win.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,060

Post#1512 » by slick_watts » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:31 pm

i'm not really a believer in the idea that every center we play needs to be able to shoot threes, particularly a backup. that's the kind of dogmatism that kept us from starting ibaka at center when it was obvious that him and kd were just better than ibaka / perkins. gafford would have been a serious upgrade and would have made the team better, plus it's easier to play him or someone like him who can move next to chet (as opposed to jaylin wililams, who just seems to get in the way on defense).
Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#1513 » by Bremzi » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:49 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Big nick wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:I get the allure but disagree. Gafford would clog the lane and bog down the offense.

Dallas' offense is built around playing a big body center that lives in the paint. That is why they drafted Lively. OKC's offense runs totally different. You can't stick a traditional center on the court with OKC without drastically changing the offensive playbook unless you want to watch calamity ensue. That is why players like Gafford, Drummond and Claxon were not options. Olynyk would have been the perfect backup to Chet, but Presti is in direct opposition to trying to win a championship as we have seen for a very long time. I feel bad for SGA being stuck on a team that doesn't respect what he represents, a championship window, for three more years. At this point I'm rooting for him to pull a KD and leave when his contract is up. Maybe then the fans will wake up to see the problem is the idiot that doesn't want to bring a championship to OKC not the superstar players that want to win.

That’s just your opinion. You simply don’t know because there wasn’t a capable center in OKC since SGA developed. The proof leaguewide is that a traditional center most definitely is part of the solution. Every other team basically plays one. Boston is a slight exception to the rule and Bucks have a non-shooting Pf in Giannis. Every championship team in the last x years had a nonshooting big on the floor (and I see Aaron Gordon as someone who is not a good volume floor spacer).

It’s not dallas, nearly every offense in the league is basically created through a rim-running big. A guy like Lively or Duren would help immensely in nearly all aspects of the game in comparison with Giddey, while the drawbacks are really rare (the occasional pass and the occasional nonguarded three on a belowaverage percentage).

Guys that consistently score in the 65-70% fg territory with consistent blocks are most of the time just simply very good (Whiteside was an exception to this for instance). If it was as easy, there would be more than a handful of guys capable of doing it (aka Gobert Zubac JarretAllen Gafford Lively for instance).

If you ever played basketball, you know it way tougher to play against a team with a huge center that is tough to box out, gets a butload of offensive rebounds, dunks it after or on alley oops where there’s nothing you can do and then also impacts your offense when you have to swap dunks and layups for floaters or midrange shots. How great would it be if OKC finally had one such guy or perhaps two of them with Chet on the defensive side. Consistent double double guys like that are super valuable. They far outweigh the supposed spacing that just simply isnt there anyway with Dort and Giddey together.

If you want even more food for thought, this year’s team is basically the same as last years apart from Chet. Noone improved dramatically (maybe JWill to an extent) and some even regressed (Giddey). The difference was basically the abovementioned points that Chet provides over last year’s centers - who could also shoot it. It’s called alley-oop threat, a bit more rebounding, a putback here and there, and obviously the shotblocking on defense. That difference is likely to amount to approximately 10-15 wins and around 5ppg/100 improvement in net rating. I’m confident a similar improvement could be further made.

I don’t think SGA, JWill and Chet are iq limited or that they couldn’t get along to play with a rim-running big that also impacts the defense.
Zagor
Junior
And1: 101

Post#1514 » by Zagor » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:40 pm

With someone like Gafford you solve problems with rebounding and defense when Chet is not on the court.
Just be careful to surround him with guys that can shoot. Don't play him with Giddey.

Why would you play( as your center) with Jaylin Williams who can't do anything good( not even shooting) and refuse to use big guys who can rebound, defend and set good screens?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1515 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:01 pm

Bremzi wrote:It’s not dallas, nearly every offense in the league is basically created through a rim-running big. A guy like Lively or Duren would help immensely in nearly all aspects of the game in comparison with Giddey, while the drawbacks are really rare (the occasional pass and the occasional nonguarded three on a belowaverage percentage).

Guys that consistently score in the 65-70% fg territory with consistent blocks are most of the time just simply very good (Whiteside was an exception to this for instance). If it was as easy, there would be more than a handful of guys capable of doing it (aka Gobert Zubac JarretAllen Gafford Lively for instance).

You are basically regurgitating what I said this off-season when I was calling for Presti to bring in a real center. I wanted Lively in the draft because that was what OKC needed. I realize you were not here for most of that. Presti's complete failure in the off-season was criminal. The holes on the roster were obvious. His refusal to do anything at the deadline after the team overachieved expectations in the first half of the season was beyond ignorant.

The problem is that bringing in a center that can't shoot at this point would interfere with the playbook. That is why Olynyk was the perfect trade deadline acquisition of the readily available centers. Presti, however, has no interest in actually winning a championship so he did nothing to improve the team. I can't wait for him to sell cap space for 2nd round picks in the off-season.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#1516 » by Devilanche » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:27 am

JRE got a guaranteed contract in New Orleans. That’s nice .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Big nick
Junior

Post#1517 » by Big nick » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:41 am

That's great for jre hard worker good attitude.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,663

Post#1518 » by Clav » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:43 pm

I'm rooting for JRE to have a decent career. He did some good work with our team and really improved even if he's not the most NBA athletic player out there. Good for him! (I also posted about that in the JRE thread.)
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#1519 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:39 pm

Is there any hope for Hayward? Is he about to wash out of the league? Considering he he has been an unselfish, high IQ player who can do a little bit of everything, I thought he would have been a vet who could fit in and contribute off the bench from time to time, but his OKC stats look pretty lame: 4.5 ppg on just 51.6 TS%, -9.4 NET RATING, -3.1 BPM, 9.4 PER in 16.5 mpg.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1520 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:45 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Is there any hope for Hayward? Is he about to wash out of the league? Considering he he has been an unselfish, high IQ player for most of his career who can do a little bit of everything, I thought he would have been a vet who would have been able to fit in better and contribute off the bench from time to time, but his OKC stats look pretty bad so far: 4.5 ppg on just 51.6 TS%, -9.4 NET RATING, -3.1 BPM, 9.4 PER in 16.5 mpg.

He is 34 years old and on his last legs. He hasn't been a good player since the '20-'21 season. This should be his final NBA season. Presti didn't get him for him to add to the team. Presti got him so he would clear the roster spot and salary for the off-season.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder