OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Clav
Starter
And1: 1,666

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#1521 » by Clav » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:04 am

Crunch 99 wrote:Is there any hope for Hayward? Is he about to wash out of the league? Considering he he has been an unselfish, high IQ player who can do a little bit of everything, I thought he would have been a vet who could fit in and contribute off the bench from time to time, but his OKC stats look pretty lame: 4.5 ppg on just 51.6 TS%, -9.4 NET RATING, -3.1 BPM, 9.4 PER in 16.5 mpg.

I'd think there's still an opportunity for Hawyard to play for a few more years on a veterans minimum if he accepts it but it's pretty evident he's not the same player he once was.

Utah/Boston for one year homecoming or back in Charlotte, because his family is there for next year, would be my play for him.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#1522 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:37 am

Random thought, but I think Evan Mobley would be a pretty awesome target for the Thunder. A Chet/Mobley frontcourt would rock.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#1523 » by Bremzi » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:09 pm

getrichordie wrote:Random thought, but I think Evan Mobley would be a pretty awesome target for the Thunder. A Chet/Mobley frontcourt would rock.

I just don’t think Cavs part with Mobley without wanting someone like Jalen Williams back.

They might have to let go of Mitchell, if they lose Mobley too, they’re back in the process of starting from scratch the next couple of years.

That said, of course Mobley would be an almost perfect fit.
mr570
Senior
And1: 295

Post#1524 » by mr570 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 pm

Quick article in The Athletic about upcoming 2024 free agency. Not a ton of appealing names but some talk about Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (???) being an interesting target for the Thunder. Dunno about that.

Also mentioned Nic Claxton. Kind of got the idea that Claxton isn’t dead set on re-signing with the Nets. That isn’t what was said, all that was really said was that he didn’t have the same season as last year’s breakout year. Maybe I’m reading too much into that but that doesn’t sound like someone locked in to playing for the Nets and just getting paid.

Think we’ll know way more after playoffs.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,072

Post#1525 » by slick_watts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 pm

if not claxton, the other guy to look at imo is jalen smith. 6'10" switchable defensive big who may or may not have a shooting stroke. can play inside and outside unlike claxton. i think we would have to overpay to get a player like this but it could be worth it.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#1526 » by getrichordie » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm

slick_watts wrote:if not claxton, the other guy to look at imo is jalen smith. 6'10" switchable defensive big who may or may not have a shooting stroke. can play inside and outside unlike claxton. i think we would have to overpay to get a player like this but it could be worth it.

I like the idea of going after Jalen Smith but I wonder if Presti just takes a guy like Tyler Smith if he's available in the draft (it's likely that he will be.) T. Smith has a knack for rebounding and can shoot it well. But Jalen Smith has more experience and is probably the surer thing.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 90

Post#1527 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:52 pm

Tobias Harris will leave Philadelphia. Would be a good addition for us.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,556

Post#1528 » by Devilanche » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:38 am

getrichordie wrote:
slick_watts wrote:if not claxton, the other guy to look at imo is jalen smith. 6'10" switchable defensive big who may or may not have a shooting stroke. can play inside and outside unlike claxton. i think we would have to overpay to get a player like this but it could be worth it.

I like the idea of going after Jalen Smith but I wonder if Presti just takes a guy like Tyler Smith if he's available in the draft (it's likely that he will be.) T. Smith has a knack for rebounding and can shoot it well. But Jalen Smith has more experience and is probably the surer thing.

I think Jalen is more ready than Tyler is . But even then both seems to be some time away from being a key playoff contributor.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
mr570
Senior
And1: 295

Post#1529 » by mr570 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 pm

Well well well :)

Read on Twitter
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1530 » by slick_watts » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:19 pm

i'd be surprised. i don't think sam presti will commit to a chet / trad big setup yet. i like clax though and the tradeoffs are probably worth it.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,508

Post#1531 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm

Devilanche wrote:I think Jalen is more ready than Tyler is . But even then both seems to be some time away from being a key playoff contributor.

There is nothing wrong with drafting Tyler Smith then signing Jalen Smith.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1532 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:40 pm

mr570 wrote:Well well well :)

Read on Twitter

That is based on the assumption that OKC will look to put a more traditional center next to Chet and move him to PF. While I don't disagree with that thinking I do not think Presti wants to go that direction. He had plenty of opportunities to add a traditional big man for the rotation over the last 12 months and didn't do so. I expect OKC to continue to focus on big men that can stretch the floor. I am still of the opinion that adding a traditional big man and moving Chet to PF, Jdub to SF and Giddey to the bench would be an improvement. However, I think it is more likely that Chet will remain the starting center and they will add a PF that fits more with how they currently play to move JDub to SF and Giddey to the bench. Then again, they could just look to boost the bench and keep the starting lineup the same next year. Presti has never liked giving up on his draft picks early and if Giddey can take a jump in 3pt shooting, like we saw Dort do this year, his fit is much better. I don't expect them to extend Giddey this off-season, but I also do not expect them to move him.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#1533 » by Bremzi » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 pm

I could see OKC add Claxton. He already said he will prioritize winning in his FA decision. Now he might not get the greatest offer from OKC, but he is 25 and a very good shotblocker/finisher. He is on the thinner side, but he could be a solid rotational big to allow having 2 bigs on the floor pretty much at all times. I have no doubts that offensively Mark will make it work, just like basically any other team makes it work with a non shooting big.

Another reason for it is that I think Presti saw what kind of an improvement Gafford was for Mavs. Mavs basically have a nonshooting big at all times on the floor and are much improved post trade deadline.

Claxton is an inch taller than Gafford and has the same wingspan with similar hops. On top of that, he could be signed for free without giving up a pick (like Mavs had to for Gafford).
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,556

Post#1534 » by Devilanche » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:55 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I think Jalen is more ready than Tyler is . But even then both seems to be some time away from being a key playoff contributor.

There is nothing wrong with drafting Tyler Smith then signing Jalen Smith.

We have 12 coming back for next season roster . Minus any 2 way player.

12th is probably still waters or 1 of the other 2 way.
13th our first rounder
14th hopefully help (a big spot)
15th a scoring punch?

So if we draft Tyler as our first rounder and Jalen as our big spot …. I really thing we aren’t improving the team much at all.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Zagor
Junior
And1: 101

Post#1535 » by Zagor » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:05 pm

I don't think Presti will invest too much money in back-up center. Claxton will be expensive.

I think he will try to get Mikal Bridges. Something like that, all-round wing who can play with J-Dub.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1536 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:00 pm

Bremzi wrote:Another reason for it is that I think Presti saw what kind of an improvement Gafford was for Mavs. Mavs basically have a nonshooting big at all times on the floor and are much improved post trade deadline.

Can you make a legitimate argument that Gafford was the reason for improvement and not Luka and Kyrie both getting healthy? OKC only had to face Kyrie and Luka in the same game once out of their four meetings this year due to their injuries. OKC played as many games against Dallas with Gafford as they did with Kyrie and Luka. Two games each. None of them played in the final game of the season as Dallas rested everyone.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1537 » by slick_watts » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:26 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Bremzi wrote:Another reason for it is that I think Presti saw what kind of an improvement Gafford was for Mavs. Mavs basically have a nonshooting big at all times on the floor and are much improved post trade deadline.

Can you make a legitimate argument that Gafford was the reason for improvement and not Luka and Kyrie both getting healthy? OKC only had to face Kyrie and Luka in the same game once out of their four meetings this year due to their injuries. OKC played as many games against Dallas with Gafford as they did with Kyrie and Luka. Two games each. None of them played in the final game of the season as Dallas rested everyone.

luka+kyrie+gafford playing = +9.08pp100, 20-6 record

luka+kyrie and gafford not playing = +1.58pp100, 15-8 record
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1538 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:38 pm

slick_watts wrote:luka+kyrie+gafford playing = +9.08pp100, 20-6 record

They added P.J. Washington at the same time. Maybe he was the difference. I'm only semi-serious. I prefer a two big man lineup and have been very vocal about it since Presti refused to address at the draft and through the off-season and trade deadline. I don't think Presti is interested in going that route. I also don't think he cares about the improved numbers or record that Dallas put up after adding two legitimate big men. I definitely don't expect it to change his mind on roster construction.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1539 » by slick_watts » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:41 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

They added P.J. Washington at the same time. Maybe he was the difference.

seems unlikely. p.j.'s #'s in dallas have been very bad.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1540 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 pm

slick_watts wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

They added P.J. Washington at the same time. Maybe he was the difference.

seems unlikely. p.j.'s #'s in dallas have been very bad.

They ended strong because their players were healthy down the stretch and they added needed big man help. Lively missed several games during the first half. Having Luka, Kyrie and Lively healthy was significant. Then adding Gafford and Washington on top of that pushed them up the food chain in the West. I think we can agree that everyone being healthy was a help while also acknowledging that adding needed talent was a boost. Regardless of the specific cause Dallas is playing very well right now and if OKC is having issues with JV on the offensive glass Dallas has two big men better than him at it coming up next unless the Clippers do OKC a favor and knock off Dallas.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder