OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,146

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#1421 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:39 pm

Well we can afford to extend Joe, Wiggins and Giddey.
Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#1422 » by Bremzi » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:48 pm

Something like this was expected. Presti went 3 for 1, meaning he created 2 roster spaces, whereas Poku and Hayward are FAs as well. They can either be retained or simply there are 4 extra slots by season end for rookies (as it stands atm, OKC drafts 3 firstrounders).

Also Hayward is expiring and all traded guys were signed also past this offseason. In 1 trade Presti essentially cleared enough to have about 40 mil in free capspace (can be used on rookies and possible Wiggins/Joe/Hayward extensions). Or Presti can trade for any other player and there’s no restrictions basically on his incoming salary.

Besides, a healthy Hayward is better than backup Micic and 2 out of rotation guys. He’s got size, playmaking, can create on his own and was always a solid shooter. He fits the wing profile that Presti seeks.

The only thing missing is a rebounding big. I dont think anything else apart from Poku+picks for Drummond is left available.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1423 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:07 pm

oh well at this point I just hope I'm wrong on Hayward
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#1424 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:08 pm

Patches Perry wrote:I like clearing roster spots and salary dump, but other than that I don't know that the trade does much for me. Will Hayward even break the rotation? Did we give up on Micic too soon? Did we give up our best tradeable salary in Bertans for nothing of playable value?

Heyward will get some playing time when he gets healthy. He hasn't played a game since Dec 26th. The problem his that his skill set is so redundant that OKC didn't need him. Micic has shown to be a solid player off the bench, but at 30 he isn't ever going to be more than a solid playmaker off the bench. He'll probably steal some minutes from fan favorites Kenrich Williams and Wiggins. There is a slim chance they make him the starting SF and move Giddey as the primary ball handler off the bench. If there isn't something else significant coming it doesn't change anything for OKC's playoff "run".

The fact that Olynyk was traded so cheaply to Toronto is annoying. Dieng, Mann and the better of OKC/LAC 2024 1st would have been a comparable offer that would have been an easy price to pay while accomplishing most of what the Heyward trade did only getting useful player instead of a redundant piece. Presti still has time to show that he is trying to improve the team, but if this is his best move I won't be anywhere near the front of the line with the pitchforks. Everyone knows I had extremely low expectations for the trade deadline, but Presti has so far exceeded them.

P.J. Washington to Dallas for a 2027 pick. Another move Presti could have easily topped with the Philly 2025 pick and filler. If Presti had done Bertans and the Philly pick for Washington and Dieng, Mann and LAC/OKC 2024 for Olynyk it would have been a solid deadline for him. Instead he let the players that could have helped OKC go for dirt cheap while he did nothing to improve the team so far. I guess he is really banking on the buyout market to give him some options, otherwise clearing the roster space doesn't even do anything for him.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#1425 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:09 pm

Bremzi wrote:Besides, a healthy Hayward is better than backup Micic and 2 out of rotation guys. He’s got size, playmaking, can create on his own and was always a solid shooter. He fits the wing profile that Presti seeks.

When will Hayward be healthy? He hasn't played in a game since Dec 26th. He's currently injured and has no definitive timeline for return.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1426 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:14 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:I like clearing roster spots and salary dump, but other than that I don't know that the trade does much for me. Will Hayward even break the rotation? Did we give up on Micic too soon? Did we give up our best tradeable salary in Bertans for nothing of playable value?

Heyward will get some playing time when he gets healthy. He hasn't played a game since Dec 26th. The problem his that his skill set is so redundant that OKC didn't need him. Micic has shown to be a solid player off the bench, but at 30 he isn't ever going to be more than a solid playmaker off the bench. He'll probably steal some minutes from fan favorites Kenrich Williams and Wiggins. There is a slim chance they make him the starting SF and move Giddey as the primary ball handler off the bench. If there isn't something else significant coming it doesn't change anything for OKC's playoff "run".

The fact that Olynyk was traded so cheaply to Toronto is annoying. Dieng, Mann and the better of OKC/LAC 2024 1st would have been a comparable offer that would have been an easy price to pay while accomplishing most of what the Heyward trade did only getting useful player instead of a redundant piece. Presti still has time to show that he is trying to improve the team, but if this is his best move I won't be anywhere near the front of the line with the pitchforks. Everyone knows I had extremely low expectations for the trade deadline, but Presti has so far exceeded them.

P.J. Washington to Dallas for a 2027 pick. Another move Presti could have easily topped with the Philly 2025 pick and filler. If Presti had done Bertans and the Philly pick for Washington and Dieng, Mann and LAC/OKC 2024 for Olynyk it would have been a solid deadline for him. Instead he let the players that could have helped OKC go for dirt cheap while he did nothing to improve the team so far. I guess he is really banking on the buyout market to give him some options, otherwise clearing the roster space doesn't even do anything for him.

damn you had lower expectations than I thought, didn't think it would be possible (or u like Hayward)

I disagree on the PJ Washington stuff and I have been the biggest PJ believer around here I think but a top 2 protected FRP is nuts to me.

I'm annoyed we didn't beat one of the Gafford, Olynyk or Bogdanovic offer.
Bremzi
Freshman

Post#1427 » by Bremzi » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:17 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Bremzi wrote:Besides, a healthy Hayward is better than backup Micic and 2 out of rotation guys. He’s got size, playmaking, can create on his own and was always a solid shooter. He fits the wing profile that Presti seeks.

When will Hayward be healthy? He hasn't played in a game since Dec 26th. He's currently injured and has no definitive timeline for return.

No idea, but there were questionable designations lately, so maybe he’s not far off. I think the deal more or less tried to clear salary constrictions past this year. This offseason is the time to go for the guy Presti wants since capspace will be there.

Getting Gafford/Pj Washington means long-term cap restrictions and they maybe aren’t viewed as a long-term need for 10mil+ annually.

Olynyk deal wouldnt have cleared the capspace and wouldnt have created roster spaces (and there’s no way Dieng would be included as a top10~pick). Toronto made the deal because they will likely try to resign Olynyk due to being Canadian.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1428 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:19 pm

Gotta think that our FO did the job about Hayward's health way before trading for him. Just wonder how long he can stay healthy.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,383

Post#1429 » by Patches Perry » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:19 pm

Definitely agree on Okynyk, although it's possible Ainge/Presti werent willing to deal to a conference rival and potential playoff matchup.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1430 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Magic Johnson disagrees with him, Zach Lowe too, Isaiah Thomas too. What do I know after all? I have alway been low on Hayward so hope I will be wrong.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1431 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter

what?
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,383

Post#1432 » by Patches Perry » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:24 pm

I also think it's becoming clear that Presti isn't trying to bring in any more big contracts (unless they're expiring). He knows payday is coming for current guys, and those FRPs are the easiest way to infuse cheap rotation level talent onto a team that's going to get financially tight in trying to keep everyone. It wouldn't surprise me to see Presti try to trade current FRPs for later ones.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,225

Post#1433 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:31 pm

If nothing else comes through the pipeline, there is a pretty good arguement that we could be a worse team post trade deadline.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#1434 » by Xatticus » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:36 pm

Patches Perry wrote:I also think it's becoming clear that Presti isn't trying to bring in any more big contracts (unless they're expiring). He knows payday is coming for current guys, and those FRPs are the easiest way to infuse cheap rotation level talent onto a team that's going to get financially tight in trying to keep everyone. It wouldn't surprise me to see Presti try to trade current FRPs for later ones.

I think he is also very considerate of the locker room dynamic and does not wish to unsettle it.

Oklahoma City isn't going to be an easy market to build a winner in and I suspect he hatched this plan a long time ago. It's difficult to argue with the results thus far.

I'm personally a bit of a fan of Hayward as I have watched some of his chess live streams, so he will be an easy guy for me to like being on the team. I don't see his skill set as being redundant as the things he excels at are things that you can't really have too much of. I do believe this trade had more to do with clearing the decks for next season, but perhaps he gets a good run of health with us and perhaps he comes back on a cheap deal next year.

This does reaffirm my belief that Presti actually does intend to continue to use the picks that he has accrued. If he drafts well enough, then we will be addressing needs before those needs actually manifest. The issue that we have right now is that we have some immediate needs and there is no solution on the horizon.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Bremzi
Freshman

Post#1435 » by Bremzi » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:41 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

what?

So… OKC will have only Houston’s or Jazz’s firstrounder this year.

I wonder what Dallas does to cover for the ‘given’ pick. Presti didn’t just give it for free.

I suspect both of those picks - if they convey - will be used on PF/C rookies or perhaps Presti will even trade up. There’s definitely something in young legs trying to prove themselves.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1436 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:05 pm

so we did trade a FRP...for another pick. Cool.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1437 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter

second FRP traded for a swap...I don't know...Phoenix is selling swaps for so cheap.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1438 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:08 pm

Read on Twitter

it's very very unlikely but no protection is a bit crazy...play in still exist.
Zagor
Junior
And1: 101

Post#1439 » by Zagor » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:27 pm

Everything depends on his health. If he would be able to play, especially in playoffs, then I would say this is good trade.
If he gets injured again.....oh, boy.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#1440 » by timO » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:49 pm

i will be happy with Hayward if didnt see bogdanovic to knicks for a **** SRP

PJ gafford and olynyk all went cheap too

buyouts: morris, lopez, dinwidie, lowry, we still need another 4/5

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder