OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#1461 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:57 am

I'm relatively positive on this trade. I would have prefer to get rid of Poku instead of Micic. Hayward (healthy of course) can help us. He does a little bit of everything, Shooting, rebounds, assists. Now we have two roster spots free. I hope Sam use them (not for young experimental players) but for solid veterans. I would like to see again Gallinari in a Thunder dress and why not Thaddeus Young, who give me a good impression in our win against Toronto a little week ago. A guy who can play under the basket. Those two would be perfect for me.
Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#1462 » by Bremzi » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:38 am

Browsing about Gordon Hayward I stumbled upon his sort of recent take up of chess and how he likes to play it and analyze stuff he did wrong every game etc. Seems like he can take a lot of correlations with basketball and even appeared on some streams discussing it.

I get the feeling he's very much like Presti in that sense and that they can click thought-wise. He sounds a lot like the kind of experienced player who would - with this perspective - help in head to head playoff matchups. I wouldn't be surprised if Presti tries to get him acclimated and then signs him on some sort of a short-term deal where he can be on a contending team and contribute.
mr570
Senior
And1: 294

Post#1463 » by mr570 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:29 pm

Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
mr570 wrote:What’s the deal out there? Undercut the Mavs and get Gafford yourself? Do some other deal for Olynyk? There didn’t look like a lot out there that I think would have gotten them anywhere. Like I would have thrown everything at Claxton/Cam Johnson but it just didn’t seem to be there. Maybe this summer.

I don’t disagree this year but it’s been too long since Presti made that deal that bolstered the team. We have the assets to make teams move off players they aren’t inclined to do so at the moment.

Yeap
28 first rounder draft pick swap not going get onto the court this year.
Gafford will.
Olynyk will.
Drummond might.

Dwight Howard might ?
Biyombo might ?

I get that part of it. But again, that’s just idealistic and not realistic. Yes, Olynyk can pass and shoot. Yes, Gafford can spell Chet. Drummond lol… you can’t seriously convince me.

If there’s a chance this summer that the Nets blow things up, deal with Houston, the options become much better. Nic Claxton fits infinitely better than any of the three guys you mentioned. Cam Johnson fills yet another role.

I just think there’s more possibilities next summer when, yeah, you could have put a band aid on some of this stuff now, maybe there are much better options available.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#1464 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:15 pm

mr570 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I don’t disagree this year but it’s been too long since Presti made that deal that bolstered the team. We have the assets to make teams move off players they aren’t inclined to do so at the moment.

Yeap
Gafford will.
Olynyk will.
Drummond might.

Dwight Howard might ?
Biyombo might ?

I get that part of it. But again, that’s just idealistic and not realistic. Yes, Olynyk can pass and shoot. Yes, Gafford can spell Chet. Drummond lol… you can’t seriously convince me.

If there’s a chance this summer that the Nets blow things up, deal with Houston, the options become much better. Nic Claxton fits infinitely better than any of the three guys you mentioned. Cam Johnson fills yet another role.

I just think there’s more possibilities next summer when, yeah, you could have put a band aid on some of this stuff now, maybe there are much better options available.

Why was an expiring olynyk not realistic?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
mr570
Senior
And1: 294

Post#1465 » by mr570 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:24 pm

It’s realistic to make the trade. But is it making the Thunder substantially better? Like Kelly Okynyk is the guy that super charges the playoff run? They’re *that much better* because they have Olynyk? Nah. There are more, arguably bigger, holes than just that specific role.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#1466 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Feb 9, 2024 7:40 pm

mr570 wrote:It’s realistic to make the trade. But is it making the Thunder substantially better? Like Kelly Okynyk is the guy that super charges the playoff run? They’re *that much better* because they have Olynyk? Nah. There are more, arguably bigger, holes than just that specific role.

Name a bigger hole on the roster than Chet's backup. Olynyk could do nothing but come in when Chet goes to the bench and be Chet lite and it would have been a very significant upgrade. It would have been biggest upgrade the team could make outside of trading for a star player. Presti's only goal is to make the playoffs not win once you get there. He has proven that, sustainable first round exits are his favorite past time.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1467 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:29 pm

If a trade makes the thunder marginally better but not substantially better, I’m ok with that. Especially when the price is cheap like for Olynyk. I don’t have a problem with the trade we made. If Hayward is healthy, Sam could look like a genius. However, why not just try a little harder to plug some obvious holes?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1468 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Feb 9, 2024 9:09 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:If a trade makes the thunder marginally better but not substantially better, I’m ok with that. Especially when the price is cheap like for Olynyk. I don’t have a problem with the trade we made. If Hayward is healthy, Sam could look like a genius. However, why not just try a little harder to plug some obvious holes?

The Thunder had already accomplished their goal for the season so Presti had no motivation for improvement. The only goal is to make the playoffs. Presti has no goals beyond that so he was never going to give up 4-5 picks for a star player that would make the level of impact OKC needed. He was never going to trade for Markannen, Jabari Smith, Carter Jr, etc. Those moves would have significantly improved the Thunder, but that isn't on the list of objectives. Objective 1 is make the playoffs. Objective 2 is raise ticket prices because the team is a playoff team that gives fans the hopes of more. This off-season is unlikely to see any significant moves. Presti will, hopefully, double up on bigs in the draft and he will give a press conference about internal development and sustainability. If in 3-4 years one of the bigs he drafts develops into the player OKC needed this year SGA might still be around to try to win a championship. If SGA walks, like KD, because of Presti's lack of desire for a championship then Presti doesn't care because he'll still have Chet and JDub for a while who will keep OKC as a playoff team.

This is why I despise Presti so much. He will never go for the championship. At best, Hayward is healthy and gives a minor upgrade to Kenrich Williams. At worst, Hayward continues to take too many long 2s and OKC regresses a bit, but they still make the playoffs and likely lose in the first round to a bigger team that is better suited for the playoffs like LAL, Sacramento, Dallas, NOLA and maybe Utah. If I'm SGA, JDub and Chet I'm wanting to know where my help is. Is he looking to draft? Trade up for Flipowski or Ware? They have potential to be starting PFs down the line, but next year he will be marginal upgrades to Jaylin, at best. What good is having $30M in cap space when you are not an attractive FA destination. Who is out there that he could pursue that would solve OKC's holes? Valanciunas?

It was a typical Presti trade deadline. Do nothing that legitimately upgrades the roster and have your mouth piece(s) sell the fans on it based on who the player was three years ago.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#1469 » by Big nick » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:08 pm

I dont understand all the hate kizz. I agree we didn't fill the holes we needed, I wished we would have. But with that Said kd left because he is a ass and didn't want to share the spotlight with russ. Agree Sam has made some mistakes but he has guided us to a great team in a short time. It's real hard to win the cup with a small market but hell I enjoy what we have I guess if you are just miserable just don't watch the damn team. Can't we enjoy this good time. Maybe we never win it all and I agree we have gaping holes in our roster but we are pretty good. I am pissed we didn't get a big maybe lively was a mistake but I really like cason he will be a stud. Bigs are pretty easy to come by. Now next year he better get sha and others some help but I will watch and enjoy and feel blessed to have this team. I fully know I will feel the wrath of kizz over this but so what!!
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#1470 » by Xatticus » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:20 pm

It will be interesting to see what we do with the empty roster slots. We have two or three (Poku) slots available, but the market doesn’t look great.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Big nick
Junior

Post#1471 » by Big nick » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:38 pm

Just signed waters to a multi year contract wow is all I will say.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#1472 » by retrobro90 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:42 pm

Big nick wrote:Just signed waters to a multi year contract wow is all I will say.

Hopefully the rest of this season is all thats guaranteed and they'll be able to find a good vet on the buyout market for the other slot (please Thad Young)
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1473 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:05 am

Big nick wrote:Just signed waters to a multi year contract wow is all I will say.

I need a drink.
Big nick
Junior

Post#1474 » by Big nick » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:26 am

ThunderBolt wrote:

I need a drink.

I think I will drink to that!
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#1475 » by Devilanche » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:32 am

mr570 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I don’t disagree this year but it’s been too long since Presti made that deal that bolstered the team. We have the assets to make teams move off players they aren’t inclined to do so at the moment.

Yeap
Gafford will.
Olynyk will.
Drummond might.

Dwight Howard might ?
Biyombo might ?

Chet is on his first full season and he was out whole of last season , even someone like Drummond could be used to keep his minutes down. Or maybe even rest him against some team at the end of season when home court is secured …

Do I expect any of the trio to be difference maker in the playoff ? Probably not .
Do I expect any of them to still have minutes in the players ? Maybe only Olynyk and Gafford to a smaller degree.
Do I expect them to help keep Chet fresher for the playoff ? Yeap. Surely .

There’s always a better time to do something bigger but some of the cost that were paid weren’t really expensive enough that we just couldn’t afford. A future first ? A second for Drummond ? Etc etc .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1476 » by Devilanche » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:33 am

retrobro90 wrote:

Hopefully the rest of this season is all thats guaranteed and they'll be able to find a good vet on the buyout market for the other slot (please Thad Young)

Just when I recovered from the trade deadline , I received another blow.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#1477 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:25 am

Big nick wrote:I dont understand all the hate kizz.

Big nick wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I need a drink.

Do I still need to explain the hate? You need another drink? I can honestly say that there is not anything Presti can do that is stupid enough to make me want to drink it away. I expect this type of move because it is who Presti is. This is the type of thing that goes completely against improving the team and trying to win. At the very least he could be chasing Robin Lopez, a big body, and Gallinari who can pretend to play PF in the buyout market. The problem is that might potentially add a playoff win by giving the team more options for creating positive matchups.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1478 » by Devilanche » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:49 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Big nick wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I need a drink.

Do I still need to explain the hate? You need another drink? I can honestly say that there is not anything Presti can do that is stupid enough to make me want to drink it away. I expect this type of move because it is who Presti is. This is the type of thing that goes completely against improving the team and trying to win. At the very least he could be chasing Robin Lopez, a big body, and Gallinari who can pretend to play PF in the buyout market. The problem is that might potentially add a playoff win by giving the team more options for creating positive matchups.

Yeap . Robin Lopez and gallo or some other vets would have been better option to fill up the 14th / 15th man on the roster.

I don’t think any of them or waters will contribute to the playoff but it’s still a better move .
Zagor
Junior
And1: 101

Post#1479 » by Zagor » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:35 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

I must say I agree with you. Now is clear that Sam doesn't want to compete this year.

What he wants for next year, I don't have any idea, but he can forget about significant FA.
Maybe some trade options?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1480 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:20 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Big nick wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I need a drink.

My comment was made in jest with a bit of annoynance. The thing is, some of us are ok following the team even if the front office makes decisions that we don't agree with. It doesn't mean we are all stupid or naive. As slickwatts said, I't doesn't mean Presti is stupid becuase his priorities are different. I'd rather follow the thunder who always seem to be a move or two away from real contention than jump on the lakers bandwagon.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder