Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#1441 » by timO » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:50 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

it's very very unlikely but no protection is a bit crazy...play in still exist.

so pick 26 for a dallas swap in 2028, not bad
Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#1442 » by Bremzi » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:52 pm

Zagor wrote:Everything depends on his health. If he would be able to play, especially in playoffs, then I would say this is good trade.
If he gets injured again.....oh, boy.

If Chet gets injured again, then OKC couldnt go further anyway, no matter what happened. That 2028 pickswap could prove to be solid and potentially a lottery pick. Mavericks are in salary cap hell to tell the truth. They have traded away essentially anything of potential future draft value.

While I dont think OKC has good prospects for outright signing free agents with cap space, sign and trades or trades are possible also without shipping people out or matching salary. The path is cleared for whatever Presti has in mind.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#1443 » by timO » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:03 pm

So till buyout market:

SGA-Giddey-Cason
Dort-Joe
Jalen-Wiggins
Hayward-KW
Chet-Jaylyn

Dieng-Poku-lindy-sarr-KJ
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,833

Post#1444 » by TravisScott55 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:09 pm

Should have got a big, ah well.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#1445 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:11 pm

It's all well and good as long if Shai is happy. I don't think Sam is an idiot but I also don't think he's always right. There are a lot of things that happens that I don't love or even like when they happen. However I can acknowlege the reason why the decision was made and possible long term benefits. But if the decisions ultimately ends with a player like Shai asking for a trade, these are the type of days that I can't help but look back on and wonder about.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,548

Post#1446 » by Devilanche » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:21 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:It's all well and good as long if Shai is happy. I don't think Sam is an idiot but I also don't think he's always right. There are a lot of things that happens that I don't love or even like when they happen. However I can acknowlege the reason why the decision was made and possible long term benefits. But if the decisions ultimately ends with a player like Shai asking for a trade, these are the type of days that I can't help but look back on and wonder about.

I think he is an idiot today.
Our playoff upgrade depends on a player health who haven’t really been healthy lately.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1447 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:28 pm

Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:It's all well and good as long if Shai is happy. I don't think Sam is an idiot but I also don't think he's always right. There are a lot of things that happens that I don't love or even like when they happen. However I can acknowlege the reason why the decision was made and possible long term benefits. But if the decisions ultimately ends with a player like Shai asking for a trade, these are the type of days that I can't help but look back on and wonder about.

Our playoff upgrade depends on a player health who haven’t really been healthy lately.

Internal development hides a lot of mistakes but I tend to agree. I just wish someone that worked at the Oklahoman would write an article that voiced the frustations of fans that know whats going on.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1448 » by Devilanche » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:33 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

Internal development hides a lot of mistakes but I tend to agree. I just wish someone that worked at the Oklahoman would write an article that voiced the frustations of fans that know whats going on.

We always get better when our players individually get better but we never got better cause our players fits better.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,829

Post#1449 » by QPR » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:49 pm

Can see why Presti never went after PJ if that is the asking price. What is Dallas doing?
mr570
Senior
And1: 294

Post#1450 » by mr570 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:07 pm

What’s the deal out there? Undercut the Mavs and get Gafford yourself? Do some other deal for Olynyk? There didn’t look like a lot out there that I think would have gotten them anywhere. Like I would have thrown everything at Claxton/Cam Johnson but it just didn’t seem to be there. Maybe this summer.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,657

Post#1451 » by Clav » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:35 pm

I feel most of y'alls collective frustrations with our FO not acquiring a big at the trade deadline. Especially when Utah got a 1st for Olynyk and Abaji. Gafford was a part of the Grant Williams trade, and per expected the bottom three in the East really gutted their rosters of mixed parts. Chicago doing nothing is really weird. Philly, NYK did well. I'd give our deal a C.

Not a lot to gush over. Hayward hasn't been healthy this season and he's not a superb defender, but he is a wily vet and has some game left. If he's not trying too hard to initiate he can make things happen. However he does force it in the lane and isn't the purest midrange shooter.

Our guys we gave up on - Bertans is no problem. The 5M next year was pretty inconsequential for our team but happy we don't have to deal with it during the offseason or later. I wish we would've used his salary ballast for something better. Thank you Bertans for not being a locker room issue bc you didn't get your guaranteed 17M next season.

Mann - the writing was on the wall that he wasn't long for our roster, but wish him luck because CHA needs some extra initiation. He had some good moments here, but not the greatest stint as a bench gunner.

Micic - wasn't thrilled he was aggregated into the trade [it was the only way it was salary possible], but I think he was having some issues mixing with our lineups. Even if he was trending upwards lately and helped our bench perform well (thx Slick watts for the stats). The salary in the future we don't have to worry about is nice, but at the same time, if we offer Hayward more than the MLE in the upcoming offseason I won't be too thrilled.

Buyout market will be thin on bigs. We might need to convert Sarr to a guaranteed contract now that we did a 3-for-1 trade and then use one other spot for a player bought out or who is still a FA (Biyombo?).
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,657

Post#1452 » by Clav » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:35 pm

I see the pick swap we negotiated with Dallas. That was savvy. Definitely could be a mid first if DAL implodes which seems all too likely.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Woerzboerg
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#1453 » by Woerzboerg » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:52 pm

We didn't give up any player who would have played a significant role in the playoffs and got Hayward, who is an expierienced vet and played like the same amount of playoff games as our entire roster combined.

Maybe Hayward will be injured, so we will play with the same rotation we would have played without the trade. Or Hayward will play and provide playmaking, some scoring and shooting from the bench to bolster the rotation. And maybe Presti is realizing that you can't play Giddey comes playoff time. Hayward is a good replacement regarding his style of play. To get this for essential 2 seconds AND also clear 17 million $ of capspace in the summer is a good deal.

The other deal is good either. We gave up a bad pick in a bad draftclass to get a shot at an unprotected Dallas-pick at a time, when Luka Doncic may have left Dallas already. So this is a good bet.

You can blame Presti for not getting a reliable bigman to help Chet, but after the Hayward-Deal, what would have been on the table without inclouding a rotational player? Drummond for Poku and 3 seconds? Not ideal.

Maybe there will be a possibility on the buyout market, we will see. Maybe not. But this season will not be last season as a contender with this core, so for me it's ok not to go all in.
mr570
Senior
And1: 294

Post#1454 » by mr570 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:55 pm

idk I just think the teams that had pieces that would clearly, not idealistically, help OKC weren’t selling at the deadline.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#1455 » by Big nick » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:56 pm

Well I guess we will have to draft a big. But it better be with the Houston pick because I am not sure the Utah pick will convey this season.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1456 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:51 am

Devilanche wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I think he is an idiot today.

We always get better when our players individually get better but we never got better cause our players fits better.

I got nothing…
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1457 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:55 am

mr570 wrote:

What’s the deal out there? Undercut the Mavs and get Gafford yourself? Do some other deal for Olynyk? There didn’t look like a lot out there that I think would have gotten them anywhere. Like I would have thrown everything at Claxton/Cam Johnson but it just didn’t seem to be there. Maybe this summer.

I don’t disagree this year but it’s been too long since Presti made that deal that bolstered the team. We have the assets to make teams move off players they aren’t inclined to do so at the moment.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1458 » by cjmcallist » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:26 am

mr570 wrote:idk I just think the teams that had pieces that would clearly, not idealistically, help OKC weren’t selling at the deadline.

I think this. The only deal out there that I would’ve touched was Olynyk but that was a pretty high price.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1459 » by cjmcallist » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:25 am

Devilanche wrote:

I think Hayward is more insurance than an upgrade. Which is a good approach. We still need to figure out if we’re in need a playoff upgrade this off-season.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1460 » by Devilanche » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:44 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
mr570 wrote:

I don’t disagree this year but it’s been too long since Presti made that deal that bolstered the team. We have the assets to make teams move off players they aren’t inclined to do so at the moment.

Yeap
28 first rounder draft pick swap not going get onto the court this year.
Gafford will.
Olynyk will.
Drummond might.

Dwight Howard might ?
Biyombo might ?

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder