Question about Giddey

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Sothron
Head Coach
And1: 3,262

Question about Giddey 

Post#1 » by Sothron » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:58 am

I posted this on the thread on GB but it got no response. It doesn't look like OKC has a lot of posters but hoping the ones who do post can answer.

We don't seem to have a lot of Thunder fans (not a shot, not many Hawks fans either) but are you guys happy with Giddey? Do you think he is exactly what you hoped or are you shocked he's this good this early? Do you see him as a franchise piece or do you think Presti will try and pull his magic trick of flipping a guy for more picks/players? How will he and SGA co exist together long term or do you think one of them might be moved?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Re: Question about Giddey 

Post#2 » by Old Man Game » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:26 am

I replied in that thread for what it's worth. We used to have a little better following around here but consecutive years tanking have really driven down our numbers.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
Sothron
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Sothron » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:41 pm

I saw that, thanks for reply. I hate there are apparently so few OKC fans left. Your team is pretty fun to watch. SGA, Giddey, Dort and K. Williams are at least fun to watch. I don't think the team is going to be long on the rebuild process. SGA is already a star player and Giddey is looking like a superstar in the making.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,288

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:46 pm

Sothron wrote:I posted this on the thread on GB but it got no response. It doesn't look like OKC has a lot of posters but hoping the ones who do post can answer.

We don't seem to have a lot of Thunder fans (not a shot, not many Hawks fans either) but are you guys happy with Giddey? Do you think he is exactly what you hoped or are you shocked he's this good this early? Do you see him as a franchise piece or do you think Presti will try and pull his magic trick of flipping a guy for more picks/players? How will he and SGA co exist together long term or do you think one of them might be moved?

I think everyone is very happy with Giddey. He’s better than I thought but the shooting is a real concern. I think Presti views him as a long term piece. I think as long as shai wants to be here, he’ll stay. Having both of them on the floor right now does diminish some of Giddey’s strengths but I see no reason they couldn’t improve learning how to play with one another.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,560

Post#5 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:25 pm

Just lurking
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,263

Post#6 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:59 pm

Sothron wrote:I saw that, thanks for reply. I hate there are apparently so few OKC fans left. Your team is pretty fun to watch. SGA, Giddey, Dort and K. Williams are at least fun to watch. I don't think the team is going to be long on the rebuild process. SGA is already a star player and Giddey is looking like a superstar in the making.

Yeah not a lot of fan since last season (already diminished after the PG13/WB trade). Hope we get more once our team improve.

No reason not to be happy about Giddey. We had a nightmare lottery night with more than 80% of a top 5 pick and around 25% at two top 5 picks so picking at #6 in a supposed 4-5 players draft was depressing. I would probably pick 3 or 4 guys before Giddey in a redraft right now but he's better than most think and his ceiling is probably also way higher than most believe (probably not a superstar but who knows). The fact that he's a very smart and very hard working guy is very encouraging about his ability to improve his weaknesses.
Sothron
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Sothron » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:38 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Sothron wrote:I saw that, thanks for reply. I hate there are apparently so few OKC fans left. Your team is pretty fun to watch. SGA, Giddey, Dort and K. Williams are at least fun to watch. I don't think the team is going to be long on the rebuild process. SGA is already a star player and Giddey is looking like a superstar in the making.

Yeah not a lot of fan since last season (already diminished after the PG13/WB trade). Hope we get more once our team improve.

No reason not to be happy about Giddey. We had a nightmare lottery night with more than 80% of a top 5 pick and around 25% at two top 5 picks so picking at #6 in a supposed 4-5 players draft was depressing. I would probably pick 3 or 4 guys before Giddey in a redraft right now but he's better than most think and his ceiling is probably also way higher than most believe (probably not a superstar but who knows). The fact that he's a very smart and very hard working guy is very encouraging about his ability to improve his weaknesses.

For him to still be a teenager there's a real chance he'll continue to grow in height, wingspan and his athletic ability will increase. He already has a high basketball IQ, amazing passing touch and can rebound. His shot is getting better by the month as well. I can definitely see him growing into a true superstar. Absolute home run pick to me.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,785

Post#8 » by Clav » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:56 pm

Sothron wrote:I posted this on the thread on GB but it got no response. It doesn't look like OKC has a lot of posters but hoping the ones who do post can answer.

I'm happy with his play so far and his attitude. I'm really impressed with his rebounding and adjustment to the speed of play. He's pretty good size & makes it difficult on the post so that's encouraging. Also, he knows there's needs to be a range component to his game. It's not a sweet looking shot but it's probably going to get better with some real off-season practice.

I see him as a very highly sought after piece for a team because he can ideally spell your primary initiator in the RS and keep an offense afloat and provide smart playmaking and counting stats already in his young career. Plus in the Playoffs I believe he'll be a key addition to teams that want to pace and space while not giving up size.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised for a trade. It isn't out of the question, but the asking price will be high right now as Presti continues to have above average draft talent acquisition and Giddey has played above his pre-draft expectations.

Nice drafting is great but a highly prized asset and top 25 player in some combination trade has been done before by his group... so we're always on our toes.

Long term, I actually see SGA being the more moveable asset because he's a proven scorer and solid NBA 2nd option along with a playmaker. That nets 2 FRPS generally or a big move up in draft. With salary open in the cap table it allows for that money to be used on another piece. As much as I like SGA he's probably the player other teams will covet the most, and sometimes that comes with a cost to position during Free Agency. There's never a bad price if the price is the right one.

Think.. Mitchell / SGA SnT or upcoming players like Robert Williams and another star on the FA market who is hungry. There are always ways to recover if the market pulls your way. OKC has money available. It's hard to say where the money will go.

I'm not as aggressive as the OKC GM group. I wanted to keep most of our players around longer and ride it out another year.... They pull opportunities when they can create leverage after some of their poor draft decisions and salaries in the past (that's a different conversation!)
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#9 » by Devilanche » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:12 am

He’s a keeper for me.

Pretty soon I think he moves more into SG, SF , PF role defensively as I don’t believe he can guard PG who have a quickness advantage over him. Of course he might be defensively sound that the height and length advantage might still make it worthwhile to play him as a big PG together with a good team defense.

Main thing for him is to improve his shooting. Athletically I can see marginal improvement with getting better with knowing his body plus nba training. He’s still 19 afterall.

Love that another fanbase have question abt him btw.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
ThunderCeltic
Junior
And1: 364

Post#10 » by ThunderCeltic » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:36 pm

Giddey is amazing and another gem from Sam Presti. He's still rough in some areas so it will be amazing to see him reach his potential and hopefully it will be in Oklahoma City.

Giddey's sister plays college basketball up the road at near by Oral Roberts University in Tulsa and Giddey often attends OU basketball games down in Norman.
Sothron
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Sothron » Fri Mar 4, 2022 5:52 am

My Giddey jersey came in today. I hate he's out hurt but I look forward to seeing him play when he can. You guys really do have an all time great GM in Presti that can keep finding these guys.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 745

Post#12 » by cjmcallist » Mon Mar 7, 2022 12:29 pm

I'm thrilled with Giddey. As Dadouv said, our lottery luck was horrible. This has been a nice surprise.

I think Giddey is a starter-level player with upside. His size and rebounding are a huge advantage for us as well. If he can guard big wings, he frees us up to be able to get another star-level guard down the road. He is unique enough that I see him as a franchise piece.

I do think an SGA trade is on the table (sorry all!), but not because of the Giddey fit. I see it as a timeline issue. We're just too good to really tank (e.g. HOU, DET, ORL) and SGA makes it that much harder. But, if we get some lottery luck, that might change.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#13 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Mar 8, 2022 4:28 am

Devilanche wrote:Love that another fanbase have question abt him btw.

Don't worry about another NBA team checking him out. You've got the whole country of Australia peering over your shoulder. Giddey has to take over from Paddy Mills as leader of the Boomers at some point in the not too distant future!!
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,263

Post#14 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 5:14 pm

cjmcallist wrote:I'm thrilled with Giddey. As Dadouv said, our lottery luck was horrible. This has been a nice surprise.

I think Giddey is a starter-level player with upside. His size and rebounding are a huge advantage for us as well. If he can guard big wings, he frees us up to be able to get another star-level guard down the road. He is unique enough that I see him as a franchise piece.

I do think an SGA trade is on the table (sorry all!), but not because of the Giddey fit. I see it as a timeline issue. We're just too good to really tank (e.g. HOU, DET, ORL) and SGA makes it that much harder. But, if we get some lottery luck, that might change.

I can see a SGA trade because of timeline but not because of lottery/tanking. The new lottery odds are not worth trading SGA to get bottom 3 record in the league (and this is the reason why I think comparing our rebuild to "the process" is stupid)

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder