Welcome to OKC Chet Holmgren

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

namlede
Sophomore
And1: 114

Welcome to OKC Chet Holmgren 

Post#1 » by namlede » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:54 am

We are super lucky to get him, a true unicorn something we have never seen before.

His best traits are his length, fluidity, timing, bball iq, toughness.

If he never reaches his ceiling he will still be a super glue guy and elite role player. Does a bit of everything when the team needs him to make a play.

However if he can tighten up his handle, be more consistent with his shot and get stronger he has the ability to be more than a role player, he could be a 3rd option on a contender and score 20 a game while also doing all the little things. A rare commodity, a star that also does the dirty work.

One of the best prospects to come along in a long time. I'd take him over Mobley and Cade from last year.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using RealGM mobile app
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Re: Welcome to OKC Chet Holmgren 

Post#2 » by Old Man Game » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:40 pm

Got to say, I really hadn't watched him much beyond the NCAA tournament. He was clearly skilled but limited by the college game in the way that nba prospects frequently are (spacing, officiating etc).

But after watching some of his draft scouting videos, WOW. I just hope he can stay healthy. His feel for the game on both sides of the ball is very advanced.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,146

Post#3 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:47 pm

namlede wrote:We are super lucky to get him, a true unicorn something we have never seen before.

His best traits are his length, fluidity, timing, bball iq, toughness.

If he never reaches his ceiling he will still be a super glue guy and elite role player. Does a bit of everything when the team needs him to make a play.

However if he can tighten up his handle, be more consistent with his shot and get stronger he has the ability to be more than a role player, he could be a 3rd option on a contender and score 20 a game while also doing all the little things. A rare commodity, a star that also does the dirty work.

One of the best prospects to come along in a long time. I'd take him over Mobley and Cade from last year.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using RealGM mobile app

I love your confidence. I was higher on Mobley than any other big in the last decade and while he will probably won't be the next Jokic, I still think he's a future franchise player. To me, if Chet can be almost as good as Mobley it's already an huge win.

I would also pick Cade over him but I hope Chet will prove me wrong :)
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,384

Post#4 » by Patches Perry » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:44 am

Welcome big guy!

Excited about: Height, length, coordination, basketball IQ, shooting potential, disruptive defensive potential, high post passing potential

Concerns: Rail thin and narrow shoulders make me worry he won't be able to add mass, and if foot speed is not quick enough he will be a liability defensively in some matchups and he'll be too slow to unlock a lot of his offensive talent

Excited to see him out there with the guys!
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#5 » by retrobro90 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:40 am

Already loved him but hard not to get more enamored after he's officially a part of the squad. His last mike schmitz interview is worth the watch/rewatch for those who haven't recently. I can't get over how good his IQ is at his age. Underrated as a live dribble passer and I can't wait to watch him work both sides of the pick and roll --and be a monster threat shooting trail 3s --and throw big time hit aheads in transition --and swat absolutely everyone who chooses to attack the paint.

bbms
Analyst
And1: 538

Post#6 » by bbms » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:03 pm

my only real concerns about his size is about rebounding and boxing out, which can be tough for him to maintain pos. also he's probably never setting steven adams-like screens.

injury concerns are overblown, players can get injured by getting off the bus. not many thunder players have been injury-plagued in thunder's recent history
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#7 » by kdthunderup » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:49 pm

Patches Perry wrote:Welcome big guy!

Excited about: Height, length, coordination, basketball IQ, shooting potential, disruptive defensive potential, high post passing potential

Concerns: Rail thin and narrow shoulders make me worry he won't be able to add mass, and if foot speed is not quick enough he will be a liability defensively in some matchups and he'll be too slow to unlock a lot of his offensive talent

It’s really exciting this group of high IQ, high work ethic guys that Presti has put together. I see this core growing a lot as a group.

I’m not too concerned about his weight as his length and toughness do a lot to make up for it. I think he will fill out a little bit over the next few years but you wouldn’t want it at any cost of agility and quickness. Hopefully he slowly fills out at the same rate he can increase his power and strength.

His lateral speed struggles a bit since he has really high hips. His length helps a lot here since he can afford to give up a lot of space. I have seen him get burnt a few times from guys able to step back and hit the 3. Hopefully with NBA trainers he can improve this enough where it’s no longer a weakness.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,384

Post#8 » by Patches Perry » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:59 pm

kdthunderup wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:Welcome big guy!

It’s really exciting this group of high IQ, high work ethic guys that Presti has put together. I see this core growing a lot as a group.

I’m not too concerned about his weight as his length and toughness do a lot to make up for it. I think he will fill out a little bit over the next few years but you wouldn’t want it at any cost of agility and quickness. Hopefully he slowly fills out at the same rate he can increase his power and strength.

His lateral speed struggles a bit since he has really high hips. His length helps a lot here since he can afford to give up a lot of space. I have seen him get burnt a few times from guys able to step back and hit the 3. Hopefully with NBA trainers he can improve this enough where it’s no longer a weakness.

I hope so. If he can address 1 of the 2 concerns, I think he'll be really good. If he gains mass, he can play the 5, if he is able to keep up with his feet, he can play the 4. If he's too slow to play the (modern) 4 and too weak to play the 5, we might have issues.
PaulKellerman
Junior
And1: 618

Post#9 » by PaulKellerman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:00 pm

The more I look into it, the more enamoured I am with the addition. Chet's shooting is the swing-skill. If he can knock down trailer 3s consistently with his quick release, it will open the floor for him and the team. He is agile enough. Hopefully he can add strength to finish through contact and develop his turnaround game because length is his gift
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,225

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 pm

PaulKellerman wrote:The more I look into it, the more enamoured I am with the addition. Chet's shooting is the swing-skill. If he can knock down trailer 3s consistently with his quick release, it will open the floor for him and the team. He is agile enough. Hopefully he can add strength to finish through contact and develop his turnaround game because length is his gift

Just the thought of having a three point shooting rim protector is exciting. As many things as Adam did well defensively, rim protection wasn’t one of them. I can definitely see the benefits of potentially pairing Chet with the right stretch four could be amazing.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
PaulKellerman
Junior

Post#11 » by PaulKellerman » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:55 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
PaulKellerman wrote:The more I look into it, the more enamoured I am with the addition. Chet's shooting is the swing-skill. If he can knock down trailer 3s consistently with his quick release, it will open the floor for him and the team. He is agile enough. Hopefully he can add strength to finish through contact and develop his turnaround game because length is his gift

Just the thought of having a three point shooting rim protector is exciting. As many things as Adam did well defensively, rim protection wasn’t one of them. I can definitely see the benefits of potentially pairing Chet with the right stretch four could be amazing.

Yes, the versatility and lineup flexibility he'll afford us is astounding. He can hopefully handle the ball well enough to develop some decoy inverted PnRs, maybe allow Dort to play inside (similar to what Robes did in 2016 WCF, THE HORRIFIC MEMORIES).

My mind is racing with the possibilities and it looks like the best pick we could have made.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,146

Post#12 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:08 pm

Agree. I really hope he can keep shooting that well from three in the NBA (i suspect he will struggle in his rookie year but will improve pretty fast).

Welcome to our board btw! keep posting!
bbms
Analyst
And1: 538

Post#13 » by bbms » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:45 pm

Read somewhere he shot 68% from midrange and his tape indicates he has some of that one legged fadeaways which maybe untapped potential from those spots. Some bloggers have reported that in Gonzaga his offensive role was limited on purpose and he can be a much more complete player on the next level than his college tape indicates.
PaulKellerman
Junior

Post#14 » by PaulKellerman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:54 am

Dadouv47 wrote:

Agree. I really hope he can keep shooting that well from three in the NBA (i suspect he will struggle in his rookie year but will improve pretty fast).

Welcome to our board btw! keep posting!

Thank You! Great to be among Thunder fans! I miss the Russ/KD days. The carefree attitude was such a breath of fresh and coincided with my youth as well.

Hope we can replicate that same era
PaulKellerman
Junior

Post#15 » by PaulKellerman » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:56 am

bbms wrote:Read somewhere he shot 68% from midrange and his tape indicates he has some of that one legged fadeaways which maybe untapped potential from those spots. Some bloggers have reported that in Gonzaga his offensive role was limited on purpose and he can be a much more complete player on the next level than his college tape indicates.

I concur that Chet has a much bigger offensive repertoire compared to what's been showcased. He has a silky touch, great length and is agile enough to get to his spots. It comes down to taking contact and playing through it
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Post#16 » by davey_wavy » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:54 am

Only 14 comments on this thread? Go check out Orlando’s welcome
Paolo or Houston’s welcome Jabari. Pages and pages

Y’all not excited or something
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,543

Post#17 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:32 am

davey_wavy wrote:Only 14 comments on this thread? Go check out Orlando’s welcome

oh yeah
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#18 » by jake_swivel » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:44 pm

davey_wavy wrote:Only 14 comments on this thread? Go check out Orlando’s welcome

Our Chet stuff is mostly in the draft thread.
namlede
Sophomore

Post#19 » by namlede » Fri Jul 1, 2022 12:31 am

can't wait till Chet silences all the haters thinking he is too overconfident and too weak.

the 2 biggest guys he went up against we're Duren and Paolo. if I remember correctly he gave both of them fits around the rim. I think he will be very good defensively right out of the gate. the only concern I have that I agree with is I think he will get pushed around trying to box out going for boards. I'd be tempted to play him like The Cavs did with Mobley. Let him roam around the court.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
namlede
Sophomore

Post#20 » by namlede » Fri Jul 1, 2022 3:08 am

Full game of USA vs France fiba u19 last year
https://youtu.be/u90GIXE0Fxg

The 4th quarter Chet played some great defense and on offense he went at Victor and got him in foul trouble.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder