OKC Thunder 2022-23 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Re: OKC Thunder 2022-23 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#1621 » by 1bigfan13 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:39 pm

I honestly don't get why fans get so hung up on being stuck with a late lottery pick. Drafting 11th or lower is not a death sentence. The league is littered with All-Stars and top-tier role players who were drafted outside the top 10.

If the Thunder were in the running for top 3 lottery odds I could understand being caught up in positioning yourself for the draft. But since they weren't, I'll take letting my guys get some postseason experience and extra real game reps over protecting the 8th seed.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#1622 » by Devilanche » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:11 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Spoiler:
Zagor wrote:Too many mental errors. Nobody had a great game.
I think we really missed Kenrich in this game, his effort and toughness.

They probably were emotionally exhausted after win over Pelicans, and it was obvious that they are not calm like they were against Pelicans.

Most important thing: This team played with J-Will as starting center. He is not even good to be back-up center, let alone starting center.
Chet will change that, but it would be unwise to depend only on lanky center who is coming from big injury. We need bigger body who can defend.

Dereck Lively would be ideal to draft. He can be back-up center and you can play him and Chet together sometimes.
Just like Cavs play Mobley and Allen, or Minnesota Towns and Gobert.

A lot of veteran players will try to wear down Chet next season, to teach a lesson that hyped rookie. Presti should prepare for this and draft a C/big PF.

[tweet][/tweet]

This game was like the college football national championship . New Orleans was our Michigan win. Getting smacked by Minnesota is a good learning experience moving forward.

I don’t think we draft a center for the same reasons you are concerned about Chet, inexperience and fatigue. Finding a good experienced center to mentor Chet shouldn’t be that hard.

I’m with you on this . If we are looking for center help, the solution should be signing someone like Naz Reid or even someone like Noel, just to absorb some big minutes.

Whoever we take from the draft will probably take some time to get used to the nba . Unless we can pick this draft Kessler.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1623 » by Devilanche » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Saying all the right thing. If he cut like 50% at first of his wild shots and and we play more wiggins into the regular rotation, we definitely have a better product out there next season.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#1624 » by Old Man Game » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:31 pm

This might just be me an average person trying to watch pros, but I wonder if Giddey's really strong enough. Just how much he tries to flick the wrists to get the momentum when he shoots it from three like his arm strength isn't sufficient. Or maybe it's just that he's not fluid enough in the stroke and so it just looks weird. I don't know. It just makes me wonder.

I also wonder if there's anything you can do in his offseason training regimen to try and help his vertical. For a guy as big as he is it's kind of nuts to me how below the rim he is with most of his stuff. All those crap floaters and stuff that bounce off the rim.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,060

Post#1625 » by slick_watts » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:44 pm

1bigfan13 wrote:I honestly don't get why fans get so hung up on being stuck with a late lottery pick. Drafting 11th or lower is not a death sentence. The league is littered with All-Stars and top-tier role players who were drafted outside the top 10.

If the Thunder were in the running for top 3 lottery odds I could understand being caught up in positioning yourself for the draft. But since they weren't, I'll take letting my guys get some postseason experience and extra real game reps over protecting the 8th seed.

they'll have 8% or 8.5% chance of a top four pick. just three spots lower and we'd have 29%. pretty significant.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,138

Post#1626 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:03 am

SGA superstar season killed our chances for a high pick. I badly wanted to tank but we can't ask him to sit with play in chances while he was also trying to go as high as possible in the MVP ranking and lock first team all NBA. If this season wasn't a fluke we should look to improve via trades/signings because we won't get a very high pick anytime soon (at least not our own).
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#1627 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:30 am

1bigfan13 wrote:I honestly don't get why fans get so hung up on being stuck with a late lottery pick. Drafting 11th or lower is not a death sentence. The league is littered with All-Stars and top-tier role players who were drafted outside the top 10.

There are always a few posters that try to maintain an appearance of objective viewpoints by harping on something negative about us while assuming every other team always has five players on the court with a positive net rating with a smarter, more honest gm.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1628 » by Devilanche » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:32 am

Old Man Game wrote:This might just be me an average person trying to watch pros, but I wonder if Giddey's really strong enough. Just how much he tries to flick the wrists to get the momentum when he shoots it from three like his arm strength isn't sufficient. Or maybe it's just that he's not fluid enough in the stroke and so it just looks weird. I don't know. It just makes me wonder.

I also wonder if there's anything you can do in his offseason training regimen to try and help his vertical. For a guy as big as he is it's kind of nuts to me how below the rim he is with most of his stuff. All those crap floaters and stuff that bounce off the rim.

I think athletically he will just show marginal improvement but the strength part is probably conditioning and how young he is . I got a feeling he’s still growing to his body.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1629 » by cjmcallist » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:40 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:This might just be me an average person trying to watch pros, but I wonder if Giddey's really strong enough. Just how much he tries to flick the wrists to get the momentum when he shoots it from three like his arm strength isn't sufficient. Or maybe it's just that he's not fluid enough in the stroke and so it just looks weird. I don't know. It just makes me wonder.

I think athletically he will just show marginal improvement but the strength part is probably conditioning and how young he is . I got a feeling he’s still growing to his body.

Right or wrong, I chalk anything about his shot up to the changes he made this year with Engelland. For a while I’d forgotten that Engelland joined at the beginning of the year, so I’m actually pleased with his shot improvement.

He probably does need more strength. He’s so young.

The floater thing bothered me at first but I’ve come around to the idea of it. If he can punish mismatches down low, plus shoot high 30’s from three - that’s a big win I think.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1630 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:22 pm

Read on Twitter

:(
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#1631 » by Balkman32 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:04 pm

The Thunder actually moved up from 50 to 35 in the 2nd round w/ these coin flip results.

Second Round picks #35 & #38 will probably be two of our 3 two way guys next year.

1.5% chance at Wenby
86% chance at pick #12 (Jalen Williams & Steven Adams were also selected with the 12 overall pick)
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#1632 » by Balkman32 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:08 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:SGA superstar season killed our chances for a high pick. I badly wanted to tank but we can't ask him to sit with play in chances while he was also trying to go as high as possible in the MVP ranking and lock first team all NBA. If this season wasn't a fluke we should look to improve via trades/signings because we won't get a very high pick anytime soon (at least not our own).

Not gonna hear me complain about a player breaking into all nba status. As the great Herm Edwards once said you play to win the game.

Presti can build a team drafting at the end of the lottery. There are players there and we can develop the correct way to ensure a greater success rate.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1633 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter

use this graph and trade Dort and picks for Portland FRP :)
mr570
Senior
And1: 294

Post#1634 » by mr570 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:33 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Imagine? There's no one in FA I could see the Thunder going for so a draft day trade makes the most sense, especially with Hendricks and Walker both potentially there.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#1635 » by Big nick » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:06 am

If zack eddy comes out of college his size would help us 7 4 and near 300 lbs is a big load.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#1636 » by Devilanche » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:04 am

But would it be a playable size though ?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1637 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:09 pm

mr570 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Imagine? There's no one in FA I could see the Thunder going for so a draft day trade makes the most sense, especially with Hendricks and Walker both potentially there.

Who are the teams likely to draft above us that want a win now player instead of a draft pick? Portland? Washington? Dallas?I think those teams teams are looking for bigger pieces than Dort. His reputation seems to be greater than his true impact so that’s good for us.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1638 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:19 pm

Giddey getting stronger seems like a good idea. Suggesting he lacks strength arm strength to get the ball to the basket would mean he has the strength of a teenage girl. I think it’s just a shooting stroke issue. To me he shoot’s like a kid that never adjusted his shot as he grew up and became stronger.

Verticality I’m less optimistic about. The answer to solve Giddey’s below the rim issues is simple, guaranteed to work but no player on earth has been smart enough to use this obvious weapon in decades, the sky hook.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1639 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:32 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
mr570 wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Who are the teams likely to draft above us that want a win now player instead of a draft pick? Portland? Washington? Dallas?I think those teams teams are looking for bigger pieces than Dort. His reputation seems to be greater than his true impact so that’s good for us.

pretty much those 3 teams but we don't have the right pieces. I think we could easily get 10 now if we swap picks with Dallas and take on Bertans contract but that's a lot of money for 2 spots...worth it if Presti's guys if available though but Dallas will probably trade that pick before the draft.

Pretty unlikely too but Houston could be a trade partnr if they end up with 5 or 6 and Harden is committed to sign with them.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1640 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:38 pm

Read on Twitter

wow.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder