Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Re: OKC Thunder 2022-23 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#1601 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:09 am

Woerzboerg wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I don't expect them to do this, but I think they should make Giddey available for draft day trades. He's the one guy who I think could move the needle in a meaningful way and I'm just not sold on him as untouchable.

I would rather keep Giddey but I don't think it's crazy to consider trading him. What would you want in a potential Giddey trade though?

My dream-target would be Franz Wagner :wink:

But Orlando won't trade him for Giddey.

What a bull...to speculate here about a Giddey trade. Josh will be one of our cornerstones for the next decade for sure.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#1602 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:12 am

Thanks on our young team for this unexpected good season. Thanks coach and thanks Sam Presti for your good work. Wish you a lucky hand for this summer for that the Thunder will advance to the next step :D :nod:
Zagor
Junior
And1: 101

Post#1603 » by Zagor » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:22 am

Too many mental errors. Nobody had a great game.
I think we really missed Kenrich in this game, his effort and toughness.

They probably were emotionally exhausted after win over Pelicans, and it was obvious that they are not calm like they were against Pelicans.

Most important thing: This team played with J-Will as starting center. He is not even good to be back-up center, let alone starting center.
Chet will change that, but it would be unwise to depend only on lanky center who is coming from big injury. We need bigger body who can defend.

Dereck Lively would be ideal to draft. He can be back-up center and you can play him and Chet together sometimes.
Just like Cavs play Mobley and Allen, or Minnesota Towns and Gobert.

A lot of veteran players will try to wear down Chet next season, to teach a lesson that hyped rookie. Presti should prepare for this and draft a C/big PF.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,224

Post#1604 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:27 am

Woerzboerg wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I don't expect them to do this, but I think they should make Giddey available for draft day trades. He's the one guy who I think could move the needle in a meaningful way and I'm just not sold on him as untouchable.

I would rather keep Giddey but I don't think it's crazy to consider trading him. What would you want in a potential Giddey trade though?

Yea he’d been a dream fit. I just don’t think Giddey gets moved. Sam drafts guys he wants to stay in okc and part of that is by keeping his own picks. That being said, kenrich and Muscala seemed pretty loyal.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,224

Post#1605 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:31 am

Spoiler:
Zagor wrote:Too many mental errors. Nobody had a great game.
I think we really missed Kenrich in this game, his effort and toughness.

They probably were emotionally exhausted after win over Pelicans, and it was obvious that they are not calm like they were against Pelicans.

Most important thing: This team played with J-Will as starting center. He is not even good to be back-up center, let alone starting center.
Chet will change that, but it would be unwise to depend only on lanky center who is coming from big injury. We need bigger body who can defend.

Dereck Lively would be ideal to draft. He can be back-up center and you can play him and Chet together sometimes.
Just like Cavs play Mobley and Allen, or Minnesota Towns and Gobert.

A lot of veteran players will try to wear down Chet next season, to teach a lesson that hyped rookie. Presti should prepare for this and draft a C/big PF.

[tweet][/tweet]

This game was like the college football national championship . New Orleans was our Michigan win. Getting smacked by Minnesota is a good learning experience moving forward.

I don’t think we draft a center for the same reasons you are concerned about Chet, inexperience and fatigue. Finding a good experienced center to mentor Chet shouldn’t be that hard.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#1606 » by Old Man Game » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:42 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Woerzboerg wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:

Yea he’d been a dream fit. I just don’t think Giddey gets moved. Sam drafts guys he wants to stay in okc and part of that is by keeping his own picks. That being said, kenrich and Muscala seemed pretty loyal.

K-rich got injured not traded.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#1607 » by Old Man Game » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:45 pm

A lot was made of our 'led the league in drives' thing. And at times it looked good, but last night with Minny's size clogging things up and no lob threat it really showed the limitations given our current roster. There's a chance Chet by himself clears up some of our issues. I just hate putting all our hope in him alone given he still hasn't played a single game.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda but I keep going back to passing on Jalen Duren for Dieng. I guess Duren didn't fit the skill player mold Presti's looking for at this point though.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1608 » by cjmcallist » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:47 pm

Great season!! Congrats to the faithful few who defended the org for the last couple of years.

Probably overachieved a bit in a down conference year, but still fun season.Good group of players. Top tier coach. Definitely one of the best franchises in the NBA.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,143

Post#1609 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:58 pm

Old Man Game wrote:A lot was made of our 'led the league in drives' thing. And at times it looked good, but last night with Minny's size clogging things up and no lob threat it really showed the limitations given our current roster. There's a chance Chet by himself clears up some of our issues. I just hate putting all our hope in him alone given he still hasn't played a single game.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda but I keep going back to passing on Jalen Duren for Dieng. I guess Duren didn't fit the skill player mold Presti's looking for at this point though.

I'm legit scared because Chet's health is the difference maker between us having a good or great team. He fits all the boxes (size, blocking skills, shooting). He wasn't an hasheem tabeet kind of prospect. He might not become a star because of his frame or whatever but I doubt he's gonna be a bust if he stays healthy.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1610 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:02 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Great season!! Congrats to the faithful few who defended the org for the last couple of years.

Probably overachieved a bit in a down conference year, but still fun season.Good group of players. Top tier coach. Definitely one of the best franchises in the NBA.

yeah we definitely overrachieved a bit with so many meh teams in the 7-12 range and a lot of tanking teams but the way our core played is really encouraging.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#1611 » by Big nick » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:50 pm

I am just not sold on dieng maybe he improves he's got size and a decent handle but I don't see much there.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#1612 » by Old Man Game » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:26 pm

Big nick wrote:I am just not sold on dieng maybe he improves he's got size and a decent handle but I don't see much there.

I see zero there. Strong Perry Jones vibes.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1613 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:38 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
Big nick wrote:I am just not sold on dieng maybe he improves he's got size and a decent handle but I don't see much there.

I'm super low on Dieng and pissed we drafted him but gotta give him another season. He's super young and didn't play much in the NBL.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,060

Post#1614 » by slick_watts » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:27 pm

diappointing. but, drawing the wolves was a death sentence. too much size. i thought this game was a fairly accurate depiction of the challenges presented by a dort/giddey backcourt- one of them must learn to shoot. teams will just continue to trap shai and just drop coverage on him to prevent him from getting to the paint. giddey was just terrible.

so the thunder could have probably dropped a few spots if they wanted without benching shai- i think they could have maybe actually secured the 6 seed if they tried to win all year. maybe losing kenrich derailed that completely. either way, we now have a low lottery pick in the presumptive final year of the rebuilding phase so that sucks.

a lot of hubris on thunder twitter, about chet, the youth of the team. gives me late 00's portland vibes.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#1615 » by Old Man Game » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:36 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

I'm super low on Dieng and pissed we drafted him but gotta give him another season. He's super young and didn't play much in the NBL.

How's he play? I can't figure out what he's even supposed to be. He doesn't appear to have much if any natural scoring acumen. Doesn't look like a high motor defender type. I'm just at a loss visualizing the best case for him based on what we've seen thus far.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#1616 » by Old Man Game » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:48 pm

slick_watts wrote:diappointing. but, drawing the wolves was a death sentence. too much size. i thought this game was a fairly accurate depiction of the challenges presented by a dort/giddey backcourt- one of them must learn to shoot. teams will just continue to trap shai and just drop coverage on him to prevent him from getting to the paint. giddey was just terrible.

We played like a small ball team like a Golden State only we don't really have the elite shooters to make something like that work. So instead we got 'the most drives in the NBA.' Because, what else can we do really?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1617 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:12 pm

slick_watts wrote:diappointing. but, drawing the wolves was a death sentence. too much size. i thought this game was a fairly accurate depiction of the challenges presented by a dort/giddey backcourt- one of them must learn to shoot. teams will just continue to trap shai and just drop coverage on him to prevent him from getting to the paint. giddey was just terrible.

so the thunder could have probably dropped a few spots if they wanted without benching shai- i think they could have maybe actually secured the 6 seed if they tried to win all year. maybe losing kenrich derailed that completely. either way, we now have a low lottery pick in the presumptive final year of the rebuilding phase so that sucks.

a lot of hubris on thunder twitter, about chet, the youth of the team. gives me late 00's portland vibes.

why? Oden vibes?

and yeah it sucks to have such a low pick right now. Not gonna be easy to find a trade partner but Presti must be willing to ovepay a bit to move up. We hopefully won't have playing time for rookies in 2-3 years so the time is now.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1618 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:20 pm

Only possible trade partners I think are Portland and maybe Houston if their pick is in the 5-6 range but we don't really have the pieces they want. Portland might want to trade for Dort but not with their 2023 FRP.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1619 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Saric is a weirdo
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#1620 » by Old Man Game » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:48 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Saric is a weirdo

In light of this incredibly strained analogy, I'm going to go ahead and put that down as Dario saric struggled to come up with something good to say about the organization.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder