All Things Thunder Offseason Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Re: All Things Thunder Offseason Thread 

Post#621 » by Devilanche » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:20 pm

Big nick wrote:Jre will be cut.

Feel that he might be traded to somewhere like Charlotte with other player(?) just so Charlotte can get another big and move away from Kai Jones whom we cut.
Purely a salary cap move and nothing on assets basis.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,141

Post#622 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:09 pm

Read on Twitter
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#623 » by Big nick » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:36 pm

I watched the game and think chet looked amazing now vw looked very good also. What I find strange is all the media like nba today and other sources, can talk about is how fantastic vw looked. Very little about chet even though chets stat line is better than Victor's. Kind of burns my a##.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#624 » by retrobro90 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:41 am

The general espn/national media makes me wanna pull my hair out when it comes to how ignorantly they analyze OKC and specifically Chet. I don't see how someone of sound mind can still come to the conclusion that we need to trade for another traditional C who will command a ton of minutes and opportunities. Every name brought up on Bill Simmons today (Towns, Gobert, Valanciunas etc etc) was a complete misfire. Chet is a center and is going to be most effective playing that position. That has to be obvious to anyone who's done more research than look at one still image of Chet.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#625 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:22 am

Read on Twitter

maybe Presti wasn't that stupid about trying to lower expectations during media day. It's not easy for players to deal with pressure and so much hype
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#626 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:28 am

Read on Twitter

need to show a strong year 2 but yeah this is insane
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#627 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:01 pm

retrobro90 wrote:The general espn/national media makes me wanna pull my hair out when it comes to how ignorantly they analyze OKC and specifically Chet. I don't see how someone of sound mind can still come to the conclusion that we need to trade for another traditional C who will command a ton of minutes and opportunities. Every name brought up on Bill Simmons today (Towns, Gobert, Valanciunas etc etc) was a complete misfire. Chet is a center and is going to be most effective playing that position. That has to be obvious to anyone who's done more research than look at one still image of Chet.

It would be really nice The Jump hadn't been replaced by a significantly worse copy cat in NBA Today. That show is more about force feeding other agendas than covering NBA content. I'll leave it at that.

I don't mind people being wrong about the thunder but there are certain media members that clearly have agendas against the thunder for whatever reason. I just refuse to listen to them. I don't care if the person isn't high on our team or thinks we are overrated but some of these guys just like to get digs in for no reason. Wosny Lambre is another one. John Hollinger seems to be working himself in to that group as well.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#628 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:02 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

need to show a strong year 2 but yeah this is insane

If you're truly an all star calibre player then expectations don't hinder you from getting there.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#629 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:50 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:The general espn/national media makes me wanna pull my hair out when it comes to how ignorantly they analyze OKC and specifically Chet. I don't see how someone of sound mind can still come to the conclusion that we need to trade for another traditional C who will command a ton of minutes and opportunities. Every name brought up on Bill Simmons today (Towns, Gobert, Valanciunas etc etc) was a complete misfire. Chet is a center and is going to be most effective playing that position. That has to be obvious to anyone who's done more research than look at one still image of Chet.

It would be really nice The Jump hadn't been replaced by a significantly worse copy cat in NBA Today. That show is more about force feeding other agendas than covering NBA content. I'll leave it at that.

I don't mind people being wrong about the thunder but there are certain media members that clearly have agendas against the thunder for whatever reason. I just refuse to listen to them. I don't care if the person isn't high on our team or thinks we are overrated but some of these guys just like to get digs in for no reason. Wosny Lambre is another one. John Hollinger seems to be working himself in to that group as well.

We are clearly the most talented young team in the league so while it's easy for some experts to say "Thunder are gonna be a problem in the next couple of years" it's also good for attention/clicks/media bait to say that we are overrated and will suck. I don't like it but that's how it works.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#630 » by retrobro90 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:46 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

Big Wos showed his whole a*s with that disparaging tweet toward Giddey after the kid got hurt minutes into his first SL game. And Hollinger has been hating for years now with his projections and lack of any enthusiasm toward a very clearly rising talent group. He has to have lingering grudges from his time in Memphis and is salty that the only time they won was when Russ got hurt.

Personally the general ignorance is what really bothers me. I think I'd prefer some haters at this point if my choice was between that and the completely braindead coverage we get at ESPN.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#631 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:14 pm

Missed the game last night. Someone please give me a breakdown.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#632 » by retrobro90 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:35 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Missed the game last night. Someone please give me a breakdown.

Dort was the standout performer. He shot it well and delivered an opening speech in front of his hometown crowd.

The first half was pretty dominant from OKC against a depleted Detroit squad. Cade didn't play. Bojan didn't play.

I'm hoping this is a product of it being preseason but Micic looks like he's not interested in defending anyone. Couple worrisome airballs from 3 too. He definitely has a strong command of being a PnR handler and I think he'll shoot better overall in the long run but his defense/lack of athleticism concerns me. I don't think he's gonna be on the floor when it matters.

Chet took a little bit to assert himself but continued to make a huge impact on both ends. Probably being a homer here but if I were to guess I'd wager Chet will be the "+/- darling" of his draft class considering what he brings to the table.

JDub is a star in the making. Maybe the most underrated young fella across the league.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,060

Post#633 » by slick_watts » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:02 pm

i am trying not to get my hopes up but chet has looked incredible coming off this injury.

i thought micic looked good. he's a great pnr handler. several passes were not cashed in.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#634 » by Big nick » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:17 pm

Micic looked out of shape to me. Chet has been amazing for sure and dorts shooting form looks much better this year his mechanics are improved. Jre needs to go.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#635 » by Devilanche » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:54 am

Tell me something worrisome about our potential rotational 10 or 12 players ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#636 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:11 am

Give Micic the time to acclimatize. With his experience and his calm he can be a very important piece in the roster. Chet looks very comfortable with his teammates and shines already more than I expected.
Cut JRE, White and Dipo.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#637 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:17 am

10 - 12 Starting Five : Shai , Giddey , JDub , Chet , Dort. Bench: Kenrich , Joe , Micic , Wallace , JWil. Than Dieng , Wiggins
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#638 » by remi_222 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:46 am

Didnt watch any game but, any takes on Dieng ? Will he have a bigger role this year ? his stats in preseason look good enough
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#639 » by kdthunderup » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:16 pm

I’m surprised most people here are down on Micic after that performance. I thought he looked really strong generating consistent looks which we have lacked on the bench for sometime. I’m excited what he’ll be able to do when not paired with our 3rd stringers.

Yeah his conditioning wasn’t great but he also missed the World Cup due to injury and this is his first NBA game so I expect he will adjust given a bit more time.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#640 » by getrichordie » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:03 pm

Micic is going to have a hard time defending in general, it seems. Slow feet, slow hips. Marcus Sasser made him look silly in Montreal a couple of times. The Micic signing never made a ton of sense to me, though. If you need someone to run the second unit, just stagger one of Giddey or Williams, or at least give Mann/Wallace a fair shake.
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder