All Things Thunder Offseason Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Clav
Starter
And1: 1,657

Re: All Things Thunder Offseason Thread 

Post#661 » by Clav » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:06 am

Dadouv47 wrote:I still don't understand what will be Cason's role.

I guess Micic can be the back up PG with our bench unit? JDub was doing it last season with great success but Micic can do it as well.

Gonna be difficult to get enough minutes for Wiggins/Kenrich/Isaiah Joe/Mann (well I guess Mann won't stay for long). Maybe they still make some crazy line ups with Kenrich at the 4 or 5.

Lots of questions for me too for lineup, but we kind of know that Mark plays lots of players, so I'm sure Wallace is going to GL for a while I'm sure... he'll get some random PT, but I hope there's some time carved out for him sooner rather than later.

rotation ??? (minutes) 48 per line

PG SGA (32) / Giddey (8) / Micic (8) -- can play Wallace, Mann
SG Dort (26) / Joe (12) / Micic/Wallace/Mann (10) -- can play Lindy Waters III
F Giddey (20) / JDub (8) / Wiggins/Dieng (20) -- can play Poku, Bertans, KWill
F JDub (26) / KWill (12) / Bertans (10) -- can play Keyonte/Poku
C Holmgren (30) / JWill (18) -- can play Sarr, Poku
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#662 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:01 am

retrobro90 wrote:Taking away any sort of "get-ability" factor: who is the closest to prime Klay Thompson across the league right now and how can we slot that player into Dort's role?

Desmond Bane?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#663 » by retrobro90 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:54 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:Taking away any sort of "get-ability" factor: who is the closest to prime Klay Thompson across the league right now and how can we slot that player into Dort's role?

Desmond Bane?

Perfect. Tried and failed to find a "family feud good answer" gif to respond to you with but Bane is exactly what we would need.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#664 » by jake_swivel » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:01 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Perfect. Tried and failed to find a "family feud good answer" gif to respond to you with but Bane is exactly what we would need.

Do you think JDub is a good long term option at the 4?
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#665 » by timO » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:08 pm

**** we are good again

50 wins can be posible and top4
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,138

Post#666 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:19 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
retrobro90 wrote:Perfect. Tried and failed to find a "family feud good answer" gif to respond to you with but Bane is exactly what we would need.

I don't (and that's not a knock on JDub, just think he's way too good to be a long term PF and we could use some bigger PFs in some match ups).
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#667 » by jake_swivel » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:29 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I don't (and that's not a knock on JDub, just think he's way too good to be a long term PF and we could use some bigger PFs in some match ups).

I get the desire for more shooting on this team, but it feels like a long 3 and D PF would make more sense. I’m open to the possibility of sticking with JDub at 4, though. In that scenario, I’m open to a trade, but I also think there are good options already on the team. They are just stuck behind dort for seemingly no reason.

Also, I’m over the “dort is a good defender” narrative. He’s a bad team defender. His one on one defense doesn’t make up for it, and the way he disrupts the offense is a big problem.

He seems like a nice guy and has a fun name. But at some point they have to shift away from him. There are literally multiple people that are a better fit currently on the team.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#668 » by retrobro90 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:10 pm

jake_swivel wrote:

Yes. I love our current defensive scheme with the aggressive help on post ups and emphasis on fronting. I think he's solid enough to bang like that and it also benefits him/the team on offense. I think it's important at this juncture to not ascribe positions to any of these guys and just look at what the group is missing (or could improve upon) in terms of production. Another dead eye movement shooter is exactly what they need imo especially if that player can provide high level defensive versatility/switchability.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#669 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:08 pm

I have a good feeling for this Team. Let them play till Christmas. I don't see that we need an imminent addition to the squad. mark has to find some good rotations, but I trust him a lot for this challenge.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,060

Post#670 » by slick_watts » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:10 pm

jdub has a 9'+ standing reach and is over 220 pounds. next to chet, he's a pf easily. especially when giddey is on the court since he cleans up a lot of DRB.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#671 » by Big nick » Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:12 pm

The game against the bucks sure looked promising. I also think jwil fits our team very will.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#672 » by Devilanche » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:26 pm

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:I have a good feeling for this Team. Let them play till Christmas. I don't see that we need an imminent addition to the squad. mark has to find some good rotations, but I trust him a lot for this challenge.

This is the right answer. See what we got and go from there.

Might want lower down the expectation abit . Getting 7-8 spot would be a good season and getting 5-6 spot is a great season.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#673 » by jake_swivel » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:21 am

Devilanche wrote:Might want lower down the expectation abit . Getting 7-8 spot would be a good season and getting 5-6 spot is a great season.

I think everyone has been reasonable except for me so I take this personally :)
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#674 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:22 am

jake_swivel wrote:
Devilanche wrote:Might want lower down the expectation abit . Getting 7-8 spot would be a good season and getting 5-6 spot is a great season.

I think everyone has been reasonable except for me so I take this personally :)

can't find the link anymore but I read some stats about teams having of 0.4 wins regression one season after they won something like 10+ games over the season before (might be wrong about the exact numbers but it was pretty close to that).

So while 16+ wins from one year to another like we had is really an anomaly and regression is a fair concern, we are in a very different spot than a lot of team that regressed: the guy we drafted at #2 two seasons ago didn't play last year (and we also played some trash line ups to tank late during the 2021-2022 season).

Main concern is that the West got stronger, we will face less tanking teams because the next draft is terrible and I have no idea if we will have the same health luck (Shai played 68 games, Giddey 76 and JDub 75, that's really a lot).

I wouldn't be surprised if we finish anywhere from 6 to 10 in the standings and I think the most likely is 7th or 8th if our core can play 65+ games.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#675 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:02 am

Dadouv47 wrote:I still don't understand what will be Cason's role.

I'm assuming they hope Cason is a 3&D guy. Give the glut of guards he should be getting minimal playing time as a rookie. SGA, Giddy, Jalen, Joe, Micic, Kenrich and Cason is a crowded 1-3. Then there is the worst of the group, Dort, will get thrown out there for 30 minutes a game of dragging down the team. After a terrible off-season they seem to be looking at a 44 win season and trying to get the 8 seed. It is a shame that will all the cap space and assets they decided not to make any of the moves that were out there to push them to a 50+ win team and a contender.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#676 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:06 am

Dadouv47 wrote:can't find the link anymore but I read some stats about teams having of 0.4 wins regression one season after they won something like 10+ games over the season before (might be wrong about the exact numbers but it was pretty close to that).

So while 16+ wins from one year to another like we had is really an anomaly and regression is a fair concern, we are in a very different spot than a lot of team that regressed: the guy we drafted at #2 two seasons ago didn't play last year (and we also played some trash line ups to tank late during the 2021-2022 season).

Main concern is that the West got stronger, we will face less tanking teams because the next draft is terrible and I have no idea if we will have the same health luck (Shai played 68 games, Giddey 76 and JDub 75, that's really a lot).

I wouldn't be surprised if we finish anywhere from 6 to 10 in the standings and I think the most likely is 7th or 8th if our core can play 65+ games.

The stat is correct and the reason for it that most teams that take that jump have a terrible off-season like OKC did. Most of them got capped out to take the jump, but Presti was too busy trying not to make moves to improve the roster by acquiring a plethora of worthless second round picks instead of getting the garbage off the roster and adding legitimate talent around a strong, young core. They will likely add 2-4 wins from last year and get another play-in game while fighting for the 5 seed, but they won't be the contender they should have been because of the wasted off-season.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#677 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:40 am

Do you see a possibility to trade T.Mann and J.White for a PF ?
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#679 » by Big nick » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:04 pm

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:Do you see a possibility to trade T.Mann and J.White for a PF ?

I would do that in a heart beat. I just can't getting much value out of those two.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#680 » by Dadouv47 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:53 pm

Feel bad for Mann because he really works super hard but he won't make it. I guess we will trade him during the season. Happy if we can get a low 2nd for him from a rebuilding team.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder