All Things Thunder Offseason Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

All Things Thunder Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:02 pm

Seems like some of our old threads have run their course. Anyways, things not looking great for Poku.
Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Re: All Things Thunder Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by cjmcallist » Sat Jun 3, 2023 11:48 am

ThunderBolt wrote:Seems like some of our old threads have run their course. Anyways, things not looking great for Poku.
Read on Twitter

Nope. Next to the femur, the humerus is the strongest bone in the body. Not a great sign for his body to break that in an off-season workout.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,138

Post#3 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 3, 2023 5:46 pm

Obviously feel bad for Poku and don't like the chances of him becoming a good NBA player anymore but I'm mostly scared about Chet...not saying it's gonna be the same for him but concern is real
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jun 3, 2023 9:50 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Obviously feel bad for Poku and don't like the chances of him becoming a good NBA player anymore but I'm mostly scared about Chet...not saying it's gonna be the same for him but concern is real

If Chet has another major injury this year, I’ll probably just write him off. I know that sounds harsh but I think it’s really important for him to show his body can survive in the nba.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#5 » by Dadouv47 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 9:33 pm

Clav
Starter
And1: 1,657

Post#6 » by Clav » Tue Jun 6, 2023 3:51 am

cjmcallist wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Seems like some of our old threads have run their course. Anyways, things not looking great for Poku.
Read on Twitter

Nope. Next to the femur, the humerus is the strongest bone in the body. Not a great sign for his body to break that in an off-season workout.

He's still young enough to have a career in the NBA but for him to get a big contract, things aren't looking great. Not that they were before but leg fracture, arm fracture, slow NBA start. He's going to need to play a lot better in 23/24 to earn that 4/60 type figure.

OKC, by the way, picked up his 23-24 option at 5M a year and may offer a QO at 7M for 24/25 or he is a RFA and OKC may match any contract he's offered.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#7 » by cjmcallist » Wed Jun 7, 2023 10:33 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/nba/thunder/2023/06/05/okc-thunder-will-dawkins-joining-wizards-front-office-michael-winger/70290581007/

no clue how important he was to our FO but not a great news.

Always hurts to lose good people. But, I have hope it will come back around.

Someday Presti will retire and we’ll need a GM of our own. Maybe one of these guys will be willing to come back.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#8 » by retrobro90 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 4:43 am

Would give Dort like a 50/50 shot at being dealt this summer. Think it's tricky w the relationships within the team and not wanting to rock the boat chemistry wise but I'd be shocked if there was no dialogue inside the FO about whether or not he's meant to be a longterm starter.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#9 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter

I hate this. I like future picks though but value sounds pretty bad except if it's another top 5 protected FRP.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#10 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 4:08 pm

A lot of things can change in the offseason but I had #37 over JRE or Waters

even more with those new rules:

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Jun 9, 2023 6:18 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hate this. I like future picks though but value sounds pretty bad except if it's another top 5 protected FRP.

I don't know how to have any kind of an opinion until we know the protections on the pick.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#12 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 8:27 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't know how to have any kind of an opinion until we know the protections on the pick.

I said I'm fine with if it's top 5 protected though. I just don't think the Clippers, Rockets or Utah are gonna be a top 8 team or so which means that pick will likely be in the 16-22 range at worst. SRPs became a bit more valuable too with the new CBA rules so if the upside is not great (top 5 or 6 protected FRP in 2029), I don't love it.

I like distant FRPs a lot though but the timing is weird to me...it's a bit tricky to move the utah pick now if Presti wants to move up from 12 to 9 and I would rather draft a guy at 37 than keep JRE or Lindy Waters. That being said we still have plenty of assets to use so yeah gonna have a better opinion on this particular trade after the draft/free agency (and not only if the pick is top 5, top 8 or top 10 protected).
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#13 » by jake_swivel » Fri Jun 9, 2023 8:36 pm

I like it, even if its lottery protected the whole way. There will be a lot of turnover in the next 5 years. They can’t be turning over 4-5 spots every year. They have to consolidate.

Also like that Sam is making moves 6 years out. Hope he’s planning on staying that long. He makes it fun to be a thunder fan. Make your moves, Sam.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#14 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Jun 9, 2023 8:42 pm

jake_swivel wrote:I like it, even if its lottery protected the whole way. There will be a lot of turnover in the next 5 years. They can’t be turning over 4-5 spots every year. They have to consolidate.

Also like that Sam is making moves 6 years out. Hope he’s planning on staying that long. He makes it fun to be a thunder fan. Make your moves, Sam.

oh that's a fact for sure but it's not like we had to trade one of those picks right now. We could have gotten similar value before the 2024 draft (if it's lotto protected)
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#15 » by Big nick » Fri Jun 9, 2023 9:10 pm

I don mind this trade we can't use all those picks next year anyway. It's like playing the stock market. Joker will be much older by then and not the same. But I did want vukcevic pretty bad.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#16 » by Xatticus » Fri Jun 9, 2023 11:10 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:I like it, even if its lottery protected the whole way. There will be a lot of turnover in the next 5 years. They can’t be turning over 4-5 spots every year. They have to consolidate.

oh that's a fact for sure but it's not like we had to trade one of those picks right now. We could have gotten similar value before the 2024 draft (if it's lotto protected)

I have to believe the protections will be relatively light. Denver already owed us a protected pick in 2027 and they aren't allowed to offer anything further into the future than 2029, so those picks will turn into what if they don't convey? Second-round picks don't generally have much value, but I can't imagine you deal those three picks for what could very possibly amount to nothing.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#17 » by jake_swivel » Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:43 am

Wonder if there are any protections on the okc side. You know, there is a scenario where Houston gets to keep their top 4 pick, Utah keeps their top 10 pick, LA falls off an injury cliff, and okc underperforms and ends up in the lottery. It’s actually not all that far fetched, either. If Denver got a lotto pick out of this and two seconds and okc ended up picking at the end of the first round in 6 years, that’d look mighty gross.

Oh well, Sam’s stacking big bet tickets. Go with god.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#18 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:58 am

jake_swivel wrote:Wonder if there are any protections on the okc side. You know, there is a scenario where Houston gets to keep their top 4 pick, Utah keeps their top 10 pick, LA falls off an injury cliff, and okc underperforms and ends up in the lottery. It’s actually not all that far fetched, either. If Denver got a lotto pick out of this and two seconds and okc ended up picking at the end of the first round in 6 years, that’d look mighty gross.

Oh well, Sam’s stacking big bet tickets. Go with god.

yeah that was my issue too. I doubt there's protection on that but if there's (lotto protected at least), it's not as bad as I said :)

Btw they can still make decisions on protections after the draft so MAYBE this can happen if somehow Presti uses a 2024 FRP pick in this draft.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#19 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:08 am

a bit off topic but Presti started collecting second round picks when we had no more good players worth FRPs and I thought it was useless but the new CBA rules increase their value in a significant way...if we don't have roster spot to use them they will still be helpful in trades. Some teams might regret trading 5 SRPs at the last trade deadline for meh players.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#20 » by Devilanche » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:16 am

Dadouv47 wrote:a bit off topic but Presti started collecting second round picks when we had no more good players worth FRPs and I thought it was useless but the new CBA rules increase their value in a significant way...if we don't have roster spot to use them they will still be helpful in trades. Some teams might regret trading 5 SRPs at the last trade deadline for meh players.

I beginning to lean this way also.

Those srp will grease trade whereby we trade multiple picks for a lightly protected future pick I suppose .
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder