2023 Summer League - Cason Wallace, and Chet's return

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,141

Re: 2023 Summer League - Cason Wallace, and Chet's return 

Post#101 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:01 pm

lol that Cason shot. I wasn't happy he made it but that he tried and didn't care about his stat line.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,223

Post#102 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:01 pm

If Cason Wallace can continuously knock down half court shots I think he’ll be an all star.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#103 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:02 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:If Cason Wallace can continuously knock down half court shots I think he’ll be an all star.

fair to assume that he's Curry 2.0 with good defense
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#104 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:02 pm

I enjoy how suprised Cason seems to be about his offense today.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#105 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:04 pm

jake_swivel wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Chet’s defensive instincts are as natural as his offensive ones are awkward.

He wasn't like this before the injury. I think it's going to take some time. I feel completely confident that he's smoother than this eventually.

He randomly fell down last year too.

What utility is there in chet initiating the offense? Dragging the big away from the basket?

That's above my pay grade in terms of the pluses and minuses of that strategy. I just know he's not this clunky. The shot is smoother, the decision making is smoother, frankly, than what we've seen here.

Please stop putting the ball on the floor in traffic, Chet FFS.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#106 » by Old Man Game » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:16 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:If Cason Wallace can continuously knock down half court shots I think he’ll be an all star.

fair to assume that he's Curry 2.0 with good defense

Oh, completely fair in my estimation.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#107 » by jake_swivel » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:16 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
He wasn't like this before the injury. I think it's going to take some time. I feel completely confident that he's smoother than this eventually.

He randomly fell down last year too.

What utility is there in chet initiating the offense? Dragging the big away from the basket?

That's above my pay grade in terms of the pluses and minuses of that strategy. I just know he's not this clunky. The shot is smoother, the decision making is smoother, frankly, than what we've seen here.

Please stop putting the ball on the floor in traffic, Chet FFS.

I think he looked smoother because Josh was running the offense. Chet looks smooth when he’s catching lobs, shooting off the catch, and making quick moves to the basket. He has the ability to make dribble moves. Like, if the court was empty, he could perform a crossover into a spin move. The problem is, when there are elite athletes around, he’s going to get his pocket picked. He can get away with it every now and again, but I think he’s too tall and slow to ever do that on a consistent basis.

He’s not the slim reaper. He has a high iq and good jumper off the catch and shoot. His pump fake is promising if he goes straight to the basket. I think he’s going to need to be more of a traditional big with a jumper than he wants to be at the moment.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#108 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:18 pm

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Chet is a team player and I love that about him. He's just a perfect fit. Stay healthy PLEASE
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#109 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:18 pm

Read on Twitter

underrated passing skill
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#110 » by kdthunderup » Sat Jul 8, 2023 9:39 pm

Cason has that “it” factor about him. He has that confidence that’s gonna allow him to grow quickly in the league.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#111 » by Big nick » Sat Jul 8, 2023 10:08 pm

So let's be honest now that we have watched cason and lively we came out way ahead in this draft. I know its just one game but I don't see anything I like about livelys game.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#112 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Jul 9, 2023 1:41 am

Old Man Game wrote:I enjoy how suprised Cason seems to be about his offense today.

He should be. The most 3s he ever hit in a college game was 5, and he did it twice, once on 6 attempts and again on 13 attempts. He only scored 20+ in three college games. In his first "professional" game he went 6 of 10 from three!!! We should all be surprised.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#113 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun Jul 9, 2023 2:15 am

Big nick wrote:So let's be honest now that we have watched cason and lively we came out way ahead in this draft. I know its just one game but I don't see anything I like about livelys game.

Based on one summer league game? Cason isn't going to be an all-star. He is a Patrick Beverly or Marcus Smart type. A defensive combo guard with a decent shot. Lively is a solid 7 footer who rebounds and blocks shots. OKC needs a center who rebounds and blocks shots. They have plenty of combo guard types. That was the problem with the pick. Presti could trade Dort, and multiple first round picks, for Nurkic and the Cason pick would make some sense, although with Micic, Joe, Wiggins, SGA, Jalen and Giddy you could argue that minutes will be hard for Cason to get because OKC is loaded at guard/wing with a massive whole at PF/C outside of unproven Chet and some decent bench players.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Big nick
Junior
And1: 317

Post#114 » by Big nick » Sun Jul 9, 2023 2:53 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I enjoy how suprised Cason seems to be about his offense today.

He should be. The most 3s he ever hit in a college game was 5, and he did it twice, once on 6 attempts and again on 13 attempts. He only scored 20+ in three college games. In his first "professional" game he went 6 of 10 from three!!! We should all be surprised.

Yes and sga averaged 14.4 pts per game. Young players grow cason has it, that thing most players want. Time will tell but I know it's early but I didn't see anything from lively that said he will be good. He can't even make a ft.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,382

Post#115 » by Patches Perry » Sun Jul 9, 2023 4:38 am

Big nick wrote:So let's be honest now that we have watched cason and lively we came out way ahead in this draft. I know its just one game but I don't see anything I like about livelys game.

I agree. I just don't see it with Lively. I value size, defense and rebounding, but not at the expense of having a liability on the court offensively. Lively just doesn't have NBA level offensive competency, even for a big man, and the modern NBA puts a premium on having guys who can play on both sides of the court. Lively shot only like 50% on layups in college, and has no offensive game outside of 3 feet. Luka will get him some dunks, but despite the need for defense and rebounding, I don't think he is a good fit on OKC. All the top centers in the NBA give you competency on both ends, with maybe the one exception being Gobert. Gobert, even as a best-case for Lively, has still been a huge liability for Utah in the playoffs when teams target his weaknesses. These kind of big men are going out of style fast.

I'm definitely on board with Wallace too. He may never be an all-star, but he is going to be a high impact player. Currently, he looks like he is going to become something like Wesley Matthews prior to the Achilles injury.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#116 » by Xatticus » Sun Jul 9, 2023 6:52 am

Patches Perry wrote:As fast as NBA guys are, coaches need to work with Chet immediately and implement something like a two dribble rule. If Chet can't make his move with the ball in 2-3 dribbles (in a halfcourt situation), he needs to move the ball along.

That never was his game, so I don't know why people are expecting to see it. Offensively, he is just a finisher and shooter. He can grab and go. He will be a handfull on the offensive glass as well. I thought his screening today was awful, but that is going to take time. He doesn't have enough body to work with and he is going to have to get the timing down with the ballhandlers. The timing was way off and he was slipping everything really early. He also didn't seem too confident in his shot as he was too quick to shot fake and rip when he had a decent look. The one thing that stands out for me offensively is that he has good recognition for help defense. If the second level help isn't there, he will attack the rim.

His value is going to come from his defense, which has looked terrific. The one concern I have is that he isn't boxing out, which has allowed some guys to slip in for extra possessions.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Zagor
Junior
And1: 101

Post#117 » by Zagor » Sun Jul 9, 2023 8:50 am

I'm happy for Dieng, he looks better with every game. Transition defense and offense is his strong side, his passing is better and he doesn't hesitate to shoot.

Cason has great energy, he doesn't look lost like some other rookies. Great pick.

Chet was over dribbling last year also, it is concerning that he is trying to do same thing this year. I hope he will not do that when season starts.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 88

Post#118 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sun Jul 9, 2023 11:07 am

I think that Presti has well done to trade down to 10, to get Cason. Like Giddey an JDub, he can be a steal in this years draft. Let's wait Allstar-break coming if he can confirm. But at this point I'm very satisfied and positive surprised with the pick.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#119 » by timO » Sun Jul 9, 2023 11:35 am

Cason is nba ready, just with his defense and his 3 point.

Dieng and Mann keep having good/decent games without forcing things.

Chet still rusty on offense, but with the starters he will have much better spots.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 687

Post#120 » by The Servant » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:24 pm

Chet wants to get his and get his reps in. A 7'1 center surrounded by people trying to get reps in without a guard and without plays being ran for him is gonna be awkward. I've said it before but I have zero worries about his offensive game, and when they can get switches he is going to kill it in the high post.

He's going to get lobs, put backs and a lot of easy points in the pick and roll, probably 10 ppg will come from that. I bet we will see the rest of the looks coming from 3s, mid range post ups, and they will probably limit his drives.

They have so many offensive weapons to feature with Chet, Jdub, and SGA. I could see them staggering starters and letting Chet and Giddey play a two man game and surrounding them with shooters, hunting mismatches with both of them (Giddey looked good using his strength on smaller guards) and kicking it out to shooters or Chet on the 3 point line.

Chet will probably average 16/9/2 bpg on good percentages and he'll have a lot of quiet 20ppg outings.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder