2024 NBA draft

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Re: 2024 NBA draft 

Post#21 » by Devilanche » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:05 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:Im hearing a lot about fit now, and it puzzles me a bit. I think, with whatever pick we get, Presti goes BPA.

If I recall, in a post-season interview he said that the teams strategy is talent through the draft and fit through free agency.

Not that fit doesn’t matter, but I don’t think it should be the priority for us with picks.

Really? That is shocking to hear. Outside of KD and Chet when has he ever gone BPA? He has drafted a lot of players with no NBA skill like Diallo, Roberson, etc. based on size and athleticism and some myth that them playing defense made up for their inability to shoot, pass and play the game of basketball.

There is a reason that everyone expects Presti to draft garbage players that can't shoot, but are long and play defense. He had a type for a long time that negates winning basketball games and that cost OKC championship opportunities. You can make a lot of arguments about who the BPA is, but you can not argue against drafting players with the skills your team needs that play positions your team lacks. When your team lacks everything and you are picking second you take KD like everyone else on the planet would have. The same goes for Chet. A lot of people would have taken him #1 and a few #3, but the skill was clearly there for him to be the #2 pick. Outside of those two picks you would be very hard pressed to find people who would ever claim Presti drafted the BPA on draft night. You could make an argument for Ferguson, although he didn't pan out. Maybe you can argue Mitch McGary who had to declare because chose marijuana over college basketball and then again chose it over the NBA, but that was someone who fell in the draft because he didn't have a future in the NBA no matter the talent level.

Yeap with you on this , if drafting difference maker / top 5 then BPA . Otherwise fit or minutes is definitely a consideration . No point drafting BPA pg if we have absolutely no minutes . Just wasting them immediately unless you are making a trade post draft.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#22 » by cjmcallist » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:20 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:
cjmcallist wrote:Im hearing a lot about fit now, and it puzzles me a bit. I think, with whatever pick we get, Presti goes BPA.

If I recall, in a post-season interview he said that the teams strategy is talent through the draft and fit through free agency.

Not that fit doesn’t matter, but I don’t think it should be the priority for us with picks.

You can make a lot of arguments about who the BPA is, but you can not argue against drafting players with the skills your team needs that play positions your team lacks.

Yeap with you on this , if drafting difference maker / top 5 then BPA . Otherwise fit or minutes is definitely a consideration . No point drafting BPA pg if we have absolutely no minutes . Just wasting them immediately unless you are making a trade post draft.

I was frustrated by our drafts for about a decade starting in 2010. Not that I would’ve done better, but outside of Adams they didn’t really pan out.

We can argue whether or not Presti has done a good job of executing that plan (Cole A is a clear example of OKC not drafting for talent). I was thinking about it more philosophically.

My personal view does align with ‘draft for talent’ thinking. While one can have an idea of what a player can/can’t do, I don’t think a team actually knows what skills a player brings until they’re on the court for some time.

So, if we need help with rebounding - I’d rather see us use our pick and trade for the need. If a deal isn’t available, then take the best player we can. At some point in the lottery, you don’t trade for anything but talent. I don’t know exactly where.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#23 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:37 pm

cjmcallist wrote:We can argue whether or not Presti has done a good job of executing that plan (Cole A is a clear example of OKC not drafting for talent). I was thinking about it more philosophically.

My personal view does align with ‘draft for talent’ thinking. While one can have an idea of what a player can/can’t do, I don’t think a team actually knows what skills a player brings until they’re on the court for some time.

So, if we need help with rebounding - I’d rather see us use our pick and trade for the need. If a deal isn’t available, then take the best player we can. At some point in the lottery, you don’t trade for anything but talent. I don’t know exactly where.

Cole Aldrich was exactly what he was supposed to be as a NBA player. He averaged a double-double per 36 minutes. He was a plus player through his career. Who do you think Presti should have drafted instead? Aldrich was traded as part of the Harden deal before he got a chance to develop in OKC.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,663

Post#24 » by Clav » Wed Dec 6, 2023 8:42 pm

In this draft there are many bigs so I feel like another one or two post players will be on the squad next season.

I'll try to do some research on a handful of bigs as the season progresses maybe we cab find a few we like in the mid lottery or later
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Clav
Starter

Post#25 » by Clav » Thu Dec 7, 2023 9:14 pm

I didn't make notes of each player but... is there anyone I missed for the upcoming draft you guys have on your radar ?

Lottery selection bigs [selections taken from the top 100 projections on the Athletic]

Alex Sarr, 19, 7'1 - Has lots of NBA skills, is very young, and has height and big time athleticism. Should be in the top 5 picks selected. Very good rebounder and post to mid-post player. I'd love to see him on the team him because his older brother has been grinding through the GL and TW contracts with OKC right now.

Matas Buzelis, 19, 6'11 - he's thin, but super athletic, can shoot it, and can handle. The modern NBA F. Doesn't rebound great though. Looks like a Rashard Lewis-type comp to me. I think he'll have a good NBA career but probably not the choice for OKC.

Oso Ighodaro, 22, 6'11 - Weakside defender, wing defense, post touch and post defense, high post passing, lobs, back to the basket moves too. Would be nice to see this guy on the Thunder too. Looks like an NBA player.

Donovan Cilngan. 20, 7'2 - Rudy Gobert size, has better hands, with solid post moves, good screen setter and tenacious rebounder. Probably can't switch well on NBA wings, but could be a great pick...

Projected Late 1sts

Kyle Flipkowski, 20, 7'0 - post handles, slasher, tough rebounder, can pass, has defensive instincts but needs to get stronger for NBA play.

Izan Almansa, 19, 6'10 - good frame, post touch, can handle a bit, but a young project right now (Gleague Ignite)

Adem Bona, 21, 6'10 - good post defender, screens, good rebounder, not a shooter. Sounds like an OKC pick to me lol.

Projected 2nd round or later

Zach Edey, 22, 7'4 - most of us might know Edey, huge guy with big rebound potential, but he's a bit slow afoot for NBA, though slimmed down this year. Could be an interesting selection because he's older than most players so he does have some functional post foundation to build on.

Kel'el Ware, 20, 7'0 - good shooter, defensive instincts to block shots, good movement on defense, post moves are solid. I like his game honestly, plays for Oregon this year.

Yves Missi, 20, 6'10 - weakside defender, lob threat, not a great shooter, athlete

Aaron Bradshaw, 20, 7'1

Aday Mara, 19, 7'3 - good touch from outside and post moves, big dude for sure, but not power stong, maybe like Zubac or Al Harrington

Ariel Hukporti, 22, 6'10

Ryan Kalkbrenner, 22, 7'1
Cheers
\m/
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Dec 7, 2023 10:23 pm

Tidjane Salaun, 18, 6'10- should be a mid-late 1st round pick. A bit raw and playing in France, but should be a solid stretch PF. He's not an ideal rebounder for the position.

Trevon Brazile, 19, 6'10 - Late first projection. Tore his ACL last year, but is back strong this year. Currently shooting 47% from 3 on just over 3 attempts per game. Does everything you expect from someone with a 7'3 wingspan. Rebounds, 8/gm, block shots, 2/gm, finishes at the rim and has the ability to switch on defense. The biggest knock on him is that he is thin, 6'9 and 215. Not as thin as Chet or Dieng, but noticeably thinner than Jaylin. Right now I think he is my favorite of what I consider realistic targets. I'm not expect OKC to pick in the top 10 even with the Houston pick given Segun's huge jump this year along with Jabari Smith and Jalen Green taking steps forward.

I really like Clingan, but I'm not sure he'd fit with what OKC seems to be trying to do. He doesn't stretch the floor, but he might be the best pure center to enter the league in quite a while. His FT shooting need work, 52%, and he doesn't offer any floor spacing. With them passing on Lively I assume that even if given the opportunity they would pass on Clingan. He could end up slipping in the draft a bit due to him seemingly being an old school player. My nightmare scenario is for the Spurs to get Isaiah Collier and Clingan to pair with Victor. You give Popavich a big time PG and two great big men and the Spurs are going to be back fighting for the West in '25-'26. The Spurs own the Raptors pick if it is outside the top 6 so every day the Raptors delay trading Siakam, OG and Schroeder it just puts them closer to handing the Spurs a late lottery pick. If the season ended today the Raptors pick would be 9th.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Big nick
Junior
And1: 319

Post#27 » by Big nick » Fri Dec 8, 2023 12:44 am

I think Sam will make a attempt to draft sarr but my guess he won't give up the assets to move that far up. Realistically I think we will draft cody williams which won't be bad 6'8" and shooting very good from 3.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Dec 8, 2023 1:29 am

Big nick wrote:I think Sam will make a attempt to draft sarr but my guess he won't give up the assets to move that far up. Realistically I think we will draft cody williams which won't be bad 6'8" and shooting very good from 3.

That would be a Presti move. Ignore the problems on the roster and draft another wing that is long and plays solid defense, but lacks shooting. The team doesn't need another Dort, Waiters or, worse yet, Roberson.
Clav
Starter

Post#29 » by Clav » Fri Dec 8, 2023 11:51 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:Trevon Brazile, 19, 6'10 - Late first projection. Tore his ACL last year, but is back strong this year. Currently shooting 47% from 3 on just over 3 attempts per game. Does everything you expect from someone with a 7'3 wingspan. Rebounds, 8/gm, block shots, 2/gm, finishes at the rim and has the ability to switch on defense. The biggest knock on him is that he is thin, 6'9 and 215. Not as thin as Chet or Dieng, but noticeably thinner than Jaylin. Right now I think he is my favorite of what I consider realistic targets. I'm not expect OKC to pick in the top 10 even with the Houston pick given Segun's huge jump this year along with Jabari Smith and Jalen Green taking steps forward.

He plays for the Arkansas Razorbacks, so ...idk if you follow NCAAB at all but he plays vs Oklahoma tomorrow idk if you can catch that game (It's not televised for me in California) but it might be a good match to watch for his performance. Thanks for the mentions!

Oklahoma Sooners that is...

Edit: I just saw this Ark/OU game is on ESPN2, I can watch it! I thought it was on local TV only. Nice.
Cheers
\m/
Zagor
Junior
And1: 101

Post#30 » by Zagor » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:45 am

Adem Bona could be great pick for back-up big. To play without Chet and with Chet.
Big nick
Junior
And1: 319

Post#31 » by Big nick » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:37 pm

So now with green up coming suspension I look for gs to be able to draft sarr.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#32 » by Devilanche » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:52 am

Wouldn’t worry about where draft picks end up this early in the season.

Probably more of trying to see / read about interesting prospect.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:02 am

Big nick wrote:So now with green up coming suspension I look for gs to be able to draft sarr.

They only get to keep their pick if it is in the top 4. That is still highly unlikely. Steph, Wiggins, Klay and CP3 can keep them as a play-in team. Draymond has missed almost half their games so far anyway.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,395

Post#34 » by Patches Perry » Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:23 am

Patches Perry wrote:Clippers pick is still a wildcard. I could see them completely falling apart and it being a top 5 pick, or them finishing with the best record in the west.

I said this November 9th and it's been accurate lol. Since November 9th, they fell out of the lottery and I felt like they could be close to blowing it up. Now they're on a 7 game winning streak and look like they're going to be in the top 3 in the west, lol.
Clav
Starter

Post#35 » by Clav » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:30 pm

December 19, 2023 - Currently our 4 picks and the worst of which will go to Indiana.....
26th pick OKC -> Indiana
21st pick LAC -> OKC
15th pick HOU -> OKC
7th pick UTA -> Utah [pick does not convey at current level] (Top-10 protected)
Cheers
\m/
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#36 » by timO » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:56 pm

okc need to trade all the picks for a win now PF, unless houston pick is like top 6-10, which is posible

dont buy on the rockets being a +.500 team

A clips injury prone team can go down fast too.

Utah is 9 now, but they will tank, hell they already tank now but win :lol:

But Grizz with JA and a pair of play-in teams from the east will maintain then in 6-10 spot surely
Clav
Starter

Post#37 » by Clav » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:54 pm

I think MEM passes Utah within a couple of weeks, but Jazz may also end up above Chicago.

Clippers are up to 4th in the west now and 8th overall.

Houston is at 14th overall but I think PHX and GSW pass them, and LAL stays above Houston. MEM could pass them later in the year, but MEM is 6 games behind the rox right now
Cheers
\m/
Patches Perry
RealGM

Post#38 » by Patches Perry » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:05 pm

Well Utah has suddenly won 10 of their last 12 and their pick would currently convey. If season ended today, we'd have:

13th- Utah pick
14th- Houston pick
25th- LAC pick

OKC's own pick would go to Indiana. I can't decide if I want Utah's pick to convey this year or roll the dice on the pick in 2025 or 2026. The risk there is that if they stay bottom 8-10 for three years, you end up with nothing. In a perfect scenario unlikely as it may be, that pick would convey in 2026 as a lottery pick (9 or higher), so OKC can push that salary obligation down the road.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,147

Post#39 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:01 pm

Patches Perry wrote:Well Utah has suddenly won 10 of their last 12 and their pick would currently convey. If season ended today, we'd have:

13th- Utah pick
14th- Houston pick
25th- LAC pick

OKC's own pick would go to Indiana. I can't decide if I want Utah's pick to convey this year or roll the dice on the pick in 2025 or 2026. The risk there is that if they stay bottom 8-10 for three years, you end up with nothing. In a perfect scenario unlikely as it may be, that pick would convey in 2026 as a lottery pick (9 or higher), so OKC can push that salary obligation down the road.

I want the Utah pick to convey. You never know what they are going to do next season and I don't want to take the risk that it won't ever convey. Sure it's a bad draft so pick 13rd would likely be something like pick 18 or 19 in a normal draft which is still fine.

If we end up with picks 13, 14 and 25, I would draft at 13, trade 14th for two future protected FRPs and then I have no clue what kind of value we could get for the 25th pick (maybe a meh role player in return but not likely we find a decent player for such a low pick)
Patches Perry
RealGM

Post#40 » by Patches Perry » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:39 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:Well Utah has suddenly won 10 of their last 12 and their pick would currently convey. If season ended today, we'd have:

13th- Utah pick
14th- Houston pick
25th- LAC pick

I want the Utah pick to convey. You never know what they are going to do next season and I don't want to take the risk that it won't ever convey. Sure it's a bad draft so pick 13rd would likely be something like pick 18 or 19 in a normal draft which is still fine.

If we end up with picks 13, 14 and 25, I would draft at 13, trade 14th for two future protected FRPs and then I have no clue what kind of value we could get for the 25th pick (maybe a meh role player in return but not likely we find a decent player for such a low pick)

I think this draft might be one where some bottom tier teams would love to have 3 swings at the bat rather than 1. If it's a bad draft, and some bad team like the Bulls aren't interested in any of the top 10 prospects, maybe they'd be willing to trade a 6-10 pick for 13 and 14. That said, as always with Thunder drafts, this is all contingent upon which random prospect Presti fancies. In general, I agree with the approach of deferring current picks to future picks. With our current depth and salary situation, the picks will be more valuable to us in a couple years.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder