OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#81 » by slick_watts » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:00 am

obviously there's a lot of positives. a couple of my other takeaways are 1 ) jdub and giddey and all our wings have to stop helping off the weakside corner on penetration when chet is in or around the paint. it's unnecessary and we're getting blasted for it. 2 ) jdub or giddey shouldn't be the only ball handler on the court in 2nd units. isn't that what micic is for? neither of those guys can run a unit themselves with the quality of players we got off the bench. maybe when kenny returns.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#82 » by Old Man Game » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:50 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:Jokic is the best player in the league. Shai is second. Not a knock again Giannis, Luka or an anyone else. I keep hearing him called a top 8 player. He’s better than that.

If Shai can shoot 38% from three and be able to play 40+ minutes at a high level, he might be there. I just think he needs to rest a bit more than some other superstars during games and that's a big factor in key playoff games and why I would still take Giannis/Luka over him (Giannis by a wild margin, it's very close with Luka).

I really hope we can build the right roster around Shai ASAP because he's clearly a franchise player and a guy that is already ready to lead you to a Championship, no matter if he's the 2nd or 8th best player in the world.

Luka is entertaining but I can't get over how much he needs to dominate the ball.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,989

Post#83 » by Xatticus » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:14 am

ThunderBolt wrote:We were losing. I made a post. Then I deleted it. I trust none of you saw it and will bring it up. This is the way.

I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that I changed the channel when we went down by 10 points. Wish I had seen the ending.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,601

Post#84 » by Devilanche » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:21 am

Old Man Game wrote:I remember in the run up to that draft the late Jonathon Tjarks (RIP) comparing Chet to Kevin Garnet. I can see it. High motor. Ball skills.

Didn’t even know he had passed away.

Something to read if anyone can spare the time.

https://www.theringer.com/2022/3/3/22956353/fatherhood-cancer-jonathan-tjarks
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#85 » by Devilanche » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:22 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

the fact that he's making his shots is obviously important but I'm really impressed by his attitude and BBIQ. NBA ready kind of prospect that could help our team pretty soon.

If he keep this up. Pretty soon he will have to be 6th man or one of the starter.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Zagor
Junior
And1: 115

Post#86 » by Zagor » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:31 am

Cavs packed the paint and played great defense. J-Dub and Giddey had problems with that, latter also made some individual mistakes.

SGA on usual MVP level. Two rookies played great, I'm very happy with Cason. Guy will be terror in defense.

This is still very young team, there will ups and downs, that's normal. I expected more actions for shooters, more movement.
But then, win is a win.
I'm eager to see them in home court.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 90

Post#87 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:50 am

What a comeback win of our Thunders. Chet was great with seven blocks, rebounds and some three's. Jdub was awful excepted the last 4 minutes (too selfish) Josh had also a bad game, excepted his inbound passing. Cason is really a good pick. Joe struggles a little bit with his 3's like at the end of last season.

Now let's the champs come to bricktown.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,321

Post#88 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:28 am

Old Man Game wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:
Thabo Sefolosha wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=w23aaXbZ1Xij5lDehaV1ug

Chet is a "dog" like NBA players like to say and he has the "it' factor. An healthy Chet gonna be an all star for sure...need him to get stronger physically to become a superstar.

He does, man. Watching him next to Mobley was interesting. He is a really good player but there just is something lacking compared to Chet. Chet coming down and sinking that three down to tie the game late in the fourth quarter. Mobley doesn't have that juice.

Mobley moves so fluidly that it just seems logical that his offense would come along. I still think it will at some point. Him diving in to Chet and getting stuffed is the kind of stuff he really needs to improve on. That's just a poor decision.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,302

Post#89 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:54 pm

Read on Twitter
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,321

Post#90 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:07 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shai is an underrated passer.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#91 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:39 pm

Read on Twitter
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,891

Post#92 » by Patches Perry » Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:44 pm

Love all the commentary you guys have. I've watched the first two games from restaurant TVs so I haven't been able to post as much but I will say that even though this team has flaws I'm so thrilled with how fun they are to watch. Going to be a fun season!
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#93 » by slick_watts » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:11 pm

according to nba.com tracking data, evan mobley was 1-8 from the field, 3 points, 2 turnovers and blocked three times when defended by chet.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#94 » by bbms » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:21 pm

respect dort

carry that man to the playoffs and he'll give you the defensive stops you need to close games

22-23 was the only season since he's started that the thunder Ws were way lower than pythagorean Ws. thunder's constantly winning games they should lose statistically. most of that because he and SGA (and Giddey's inbounding is on its way to be a piece) are so dominant in these 1-2 possession games.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,539

Post#95 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:I really hope we can build the right roster around Shai ASAP because he's clearly a franchise player and a guy that is already ready to lead you to a Championship, no matter if he's the 2nd or 8th best player in the world.

A fact most of this board was aware of in the off-season when we were screaming for Presti to use the cap space to get another proven vet to help push the team into being a contender. Presti, however, was unaware that his team was ready to go all-in because he has no idea how to evaluate where teams compare to each other in the NBA. He has proven this over time like keeping Russ and adding PG13 thinking he was somehow building a contender when those teams were never getting out of the first round.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#96 » by bbms » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:23 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:I really hope we can build the right roster around Shai ASAP because he's clearly a franchise player and a guy that is already ready to lead you to a Championship, no matter if he's the 2nd or 8th best player in the world.

A fact most of this board was aware of in the off-season when we were screaming for Presti to use the cap space to get another proven vet to help push the team into being a contender. Presti, however, was unaware that his team was ready to go all-in because he has no idea how to evaluate where teams compare to each other in the NBA. He has proven this over time like keeping Russ and adding PG13 thinking he was somehow building a contender when those teams were never getting out of the first round.

this take only makes sense if losing a dpoy level player meant **** for your evaluation of 2017/18

presti made a move when he thought the thunder were ready to commit to a roster in 2010/11 deadline - turned out he was wrong for pulling the trigger a bit too early.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#97 » by Devilanche » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:39 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Season has started , let’s just watch the games and continue the screaming closer to trade deadline.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#98 » by Dadouv47 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:45 am

Devilanche wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Season has started , let’s just watch the games and continue the screaming closer to trade deadline.

yeah we are still far from contending and even if I wanted to add a star via trade, we need to see what we have in Chet and give him as much opportunities as possible (same for Cason to some extent).

I think Presti is gonna make a big move if we are a playoff team this season. I doubt he will trade pick #5 or #6 if we win our coin flip for the Rockets pick though.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#99 » by Devilanche » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:11 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

yeah we are still far from contending and even if I wanted to add a star via trade, we need to see what we have in Chet and give him as much opportunities as possible (same for Cason to some extent).

I think Presti is gonna make a big move if we are a playoff team this season. I doubt he will trade pick #5 or #6 if we win our coin flip for the Rockets pick though.

Yeap ! Want see our gaps and weaknesses make noise on shoring it up. That will come, long season ahead.

I don’t think we are making a big move though I would like to be very wrong on that.
Zagor
Junior
And1: 115

Post#100 » by Zagor » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:19 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:A fact most of this board was aware of in the off-season when we were screaming for Presti to use the cap space to get another proven vet to help push the team into being a contender. Presti, however, was unaware that his team was ready to go all-in because he has no idea how to evaluate where teams compare to each other in the NBA. He has proven this over time like keeping Russ and adding PG13 thinking he was somehow building a contender when those teams were never getting out of the first round.

As Dado told you, Presti first needs to see what this team have in Chet. And how trio of Shai, J-Dub and Chet work together.

But let we say that you are right. Who are those veterans who could help Shai immediately and push the team into being contender?

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder