Sorry, but "Thunderbirds" just wouldn't cut it for me.

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

OKCFan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Sorry, but "Thunderbirds" just wouldn't cut it for me. 

Post#1 » by OKCFan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:20 pm

I've heard rumors that name might be in the lead... That's probably my least favorite out of all the likely names I have heard...

First off, Ok-la-ho-ma Ci-ty Thun-der-birds = 9 syllables. That's just too big of a mouthful.

Secondly, are there any other 3 syllable NBA team names? There are the Cavaliers, Warriors and Timberwolves... but those turn into Cavs, Warr-iors, and T-Wolves, as in "Let's-go T-Wolves! *clap-clap clap-clap-clap!"

It wouldn't really work to say, "Let's go Thun-der-birds!"

Then if you shorten it, it turns into T-Birds, which automatically makes you think of the car...
Announcers, commentators, media, other fans are automatically gonna say "T-birds."

I know that it has history around here and everything, but other fans will have no idea...

I really, really hope this is not the name.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Re: Sorry, but "Thunderbirds" just wouldn't cut it for me. 

Post#2 » by wizkid27 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:42 pm

FYI, Just general forum etiquette, if you have an opinion or view on an issue, try to look for a related thread that already exists where you can voice it. There's nothing at all wrong with creating a new thread, but we've already got a general naming thread and even one specifically about the Thunderbird/Thundercat name. Not attacking you or anything, just trying to be helpful :)
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#3 » by Tony Plow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:07 am

OKCFan wrote:I've heard rumors that name might be in the lead... That's probably my least favorite out of all the likely names I have heard...

First off, Ok-la-ho-ma Ci-ty Thun-der-birds = 9 syllables. That's just too big of a mouthful.

Secondly, are there any other 3 syllable NBA team names? There are the Cavaliers, Warriors and Timberwolves... but those turn into Cavs, Warr-iors, and T-Wolves, as in "Let's-go T-Wolves! *clap-clap clap-clap-clap!"

It wouldn't really work to say, "Let's go Thun-der-birds!"

Then if you shorten it, it turns into T-Birds, which automatically makes you think of the car...
Announcers, commentators, media, other fans are automatically gonna say "T-birds."

I know that it has history around here and everything, but other fans will have no idea...

I really, really hope this is not the name.

I agree about the name. Except for one thing. Thunderbirds are associated with Indians, which means pow wow's. Somehow, the Indian connotation will no doubt be in play... And that bites.
"This is Mr. Plow... OH. You mean THAT Mr. Plow. No. I'm TONY Plow. You know, from Leave it to Beaver?" : Homer Simpson
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#4 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:19 am

Your fans or who ever is in charge of the naming need to realize most NBA teams names have something to do with the city. LA and Utah are the exceptions. But this is the NBA not some small time league.

What stands out in OKC besides being a cowboy or oil baron or outlaw ? The name has got to be something the league can market. I already know what ever they come up with will be cheesy anyway.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#5 » by Tony Plow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:07 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Your fans or who ever is in charge of the naming need to realize most NBA teams names have something to do with the city. LA and Utah are the exceptions. But this is the NBA not some small time league.

What stands out in OKC besides being a cowboy or oil baron or outlaw ? The name has got to be something the league can market. I already know what ever they come up with will be cheesy anyway.

There could be several things. Our weather. I don't want Twisters even though that is another term for tornado. Twisters has a double meaning. It also could be rodeo. Tornadoes would be a reminder of that 300 plus mile per hour breeze we had in 1999 that did about one billion dollars in damage (including two of my houses). What about Oklahoma City Breeze? We are known for our wind.

We have a great aviation industry. Some have suggested Aviators, however, I personally don't like it. We are also in a Renaissance period... So... Oklahoma City Renaissance. Of these I like Breeze.
"This is Mr. Plow... OH. You mean THAT Mr. Plow. No. I'm TONY Plow. You know, from Leave it to Beaver?" : Homer Simpson
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#6 » by cb4_89 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:07 pm

I like the falcons
JO_CB_FTW
Junior

Post#7 » by JO_CB_FTW » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:04 am

cb4_89 wrote:I like the falcons

I like blue Jays =S
ljp24
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Post#8 » by ljp24 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:50 am

JO_CB_FTW wrote:
cb4_89 wrote:I like the falcons

I like blue Jays =S

Toronto (MLB) has that already.
Rooster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#9 » by Rooster » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:04 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Your fans or who ever is in charge of the naming need to realize most NBA teams names have something to do with the city. LA and Utah are the exceptions. But this is the NBA not some small time league.

As a Toronto fan, I totally see raptors around here all the time.

ljp24, I'm willing to bet that someone with the username JO_CB_FTW knows about the Toronto Blue Jays... :lol:

As for the actual topic, I don't really know what'd work. Thunderbirds could have a cool logo, and the NBA doesn't have many bird-related team names. Just Thunder though, as we're hearing? I'm dying to see this mascot.
JO_CB_FTW
Junior

Post#10 » by JO_CB_FTW » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Rooster wrote:

As a Toronto fan, I totally see raptors around here all the time.

ljp24, I'm willing to bet that someone with the username JO_CB_FTW knows about the Toronto Blue Jays... :lol:

As for the actual topic, I don't really know what'd work. Thunderbirds could have a cool logo, and the NBA doesn't have many bird-related team names. Just Thunder though, as we're hearing? I'm dying to see this mascot.

hahahaha damn man.. good one. really smart
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#11 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:16 am

Thundercats is better! The mascot can be Snarf!

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder