Offer made to CJ Miles

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Fizer
Sophomore
And1: 3

Offer made to CJ Miles 

Post#1 » by Fizer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:44 am

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... fer_sheet/

Should be interesting to see if Utah will match the offer. CJ Miles is a shooting Guard who should certainly improve OKC's depth on either the SG or SF side of things. Plus he is only 21 years old and has been improving since his rookie season. Would certainly get much more playing time in OKC than in Utah, thats for sure.
xstockholmsyndromex
Head Coach
And1: 0

Re: Offer made to CJ Miles 

Post#2 » by xstockholmsyndromex » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:57 am

I honestly dont see the Jazz matching the offer sheet, simply because I hear it is something like 4 years 15 million dollar. Im just not sure if he is worth that. I wish him luck...but I think you guys are going to be overpaying for him. I figured if he got a 2 year deal in the range of 4-5 million he'd be doing good for himself.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Post#3 » by wizkid27 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:17 am

I'd say that he is a good fit and fills some pretty big holes at guard for this team That said, if 4/15 is the deal, I think it's probably above his market value right now, but could end being a heck of a deal in a couple of years, it is also low enough that if he doesn't end up doing much, it won't devastate our cap situation for years to come or anything
bmw42690
Sophomore

Post#4 » by bmw42690 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:44 am

I dont know much about him. Is he a shooter or slasher? Can he defend? I dont see Utah play that much so i just wanted some opinions on him.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#5 » by CAE15 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:44 am

If we dont match CJ's offer I wish him the best in OKC, he and durant should be fun to see. Still prefer we match though. Would like to have him for 4 years along with dwill.
Rywall
Ballboy

Post#6 » by Rywall » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:15 am

I actually played against CJ Miles when he still played for Arlington Skyline. He was dominant, but the competition wasn't anything to speak of.

I like this move to an extent. I think that CJ is a promising player that could develop into a quality starter in this league. I don't mind that Presti is looking more for potential than product in this point of the teams progression. The only thing that i would have changed in this deal is to make it for 3 years, but i don't mind the fact that OKC might be overpaying him. At 15 million dollars his potential outways his financial risk. Ecspecially when you consider the fact that the team isn't expected to become competitive until his contract is up.
Racer X
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Racer X » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:20 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1yhAralCv6Q&feature=related
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Nk8JrGrb68&feature=related

CJ is a good dude. He has shown flashes of being great. I will be bummed if the Jazz do not match, but a Westbrook, CJ, Durant, Green, Name lineup would be an exciting one.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#8 » by Ming Kong! » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:00 am

I believe you guys payed more than his market value, but I do believe you guys got a steal of a deal regardless cause you wont get anybody remotely as good for this much. He played very well as the starting SF when we needed him, and that practically required him to go from virtually no minutes, or just garbage minutes, to getting over 20mpg.
GP
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by GP » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:57 am

Ming Kong! wrote:I believe you guys payed more than his market value, but I do believe you guys got a steal of a deal regardless cause you wont get anybody remotely as good for this much. He played very well as the starting SF when we needed him, and that practically required him to go from virtually no minutes, or just garbage minutes, to getting over 20mpg.

I. CJ is very talented and still young (21). I honestly think you guys got a steal with CJ, he is going to be a nice addition to your team, he has shown, when given minutes that he can be a player in the league. I really hope the jazz match, but I doubt it.
enIIgma_chan
Sophomore

Post#10 » by enIIgma_chan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:41 am

I hope the jazz match the offer; he's a younger player and I would be upset with the jazz if cj turns out being really good player for Oklahoma. I don't want him to leave and he's got this 'Kevin Martin' aura about him. lol

Match it Utah or you'll truly regret it later. :wizard:
HawaiianJazzFan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#11 » by HawaiianJazzFan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:11 pm

I want the Jazz to match too. CJ has the highest ceiling of any of the Jazz's wing players..... Larry H Miller once told David Stern to watch out for him and that he will be an all star one day.

Deron Williams said. "I talk to him once a week and he's always working out, always getting better." When he was in New York as part of a USA Basketball promotional trip, Williams said "a lot of guys, LeBron [James] and some of those other guys, were saying how impressed they were with C.J."

Deron's response when he heard about CJ's contract.
If you guys get him...... great deal.
Rywall
Ballboy

Post#12 » by Rywall » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:36 pm

(Tim Buckley)
For a second straight year, restricted free-agent swingman C.J. Miles opted against playing for the Jazz in the Revue.

Last time, he eventually re-signed with Utah -- and drew the ire of Sloan for supposedly not being in tiptop shape when he reported for training camp in the fall. This time, though, the decision to test the market while sitting out the summer league has paid off for the southpaw.

The Jazz learned Friday that Miles, a 2005 second-round draft choice straight out of Dallas Skyline High School, has signed an offer sheet with Oklahoma City.

According to a source, the deal is worth about $15 million over four years, all guaranteed.

The Jazz have seven days to decide whether or not they'll match, and early indications Friday night were that they weren't sure.

Counting Miles, Utah would have 15 guaranteed contracts. By not matching, the Jazz would have roster flexibility -- and potential playing-time opportunity for shooting guard Morris Almond, a 2007 first-round draft choice from Rice who spent most of last season with the D-League's Utah Flash. Almond had 17 points Friday, but shot just 4-of-12 from the field.

The decision to lure Miles might have been influenced by the presence in Oklahoma City of new assistant general manager Troy Weaver, who was director of player personnel for the Jazz before leaving while the former Sonics still were playing last season in Seattle.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#13 » by Nolan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:06 am

Miles could be good here if he's given a chance to play. Four years 15 million really isn't all that bad, thats only 3.75 per season for a guy with a lot of potential and a good attitude.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#14 » by Joel Embust » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:07 am

I mentioned CJ Miles six months ago on the Sonics board as a player we should target in the offseason. It would be good for his development if he ends up in OKC, but I'd feel bad for Utah, this guy is going to be awesome in 2-3 years.
Basketball1
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Basketball1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:11 am

I don't think that Utah should match this offer. The price is way too much
for a third stinger (10th man on their team) given his progress after three
years. Who knows, Utah is a western conference contender and OKC is
not - given 25to 30 minutes per game perhaps he'll be a good player but
he's not going to get more that 10 or 12 minutes with the Jazz.
markusj
Ballboy

Post#16 » by markusj » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:12 am

As a Jazz fan, I hope the Jazz don't match this offer. He'll be nothing more then a 3rd string SG/SF for the Jazz and it makes no sense for any team to pay a guy that kind of money to do nothing but sit on the bench.

Miles is a very good shooter and is average driving to the basket. However, he is an awful defender and his basketball IQ is very low. I don't believe he has what it takes mentally to last in the NBA. It's a good signing by OKC because the risk is minimal and the rewards could be great.
JO_CB_FTW
Junior

Post#17 » by JO_CB_FTW » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Nolan wrote:Miles could be good here if he's given a chance to play. Four years 15 million really isn't all that bad, thats only 3.75 per season for a guy with a lot of potential and a good attitude.

It's a steal really.
BiggMann
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#18 » by BiggMann » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 pm

I've been a fan of CJ since day one, I know he's got what it takes to be a player in this league but was just never given a chance. This is just another sad story for the Utah Jazz, develop a player from ground up only to see their potential reached with another franchise. See Sasha Pavlovic, Maurice Williams, Deshawn Stevenson etc etc.. now adding CJ Miles to this group makes me very sad. CJ has through the rough athleticism, one of the smoothest jumpers in the game and a great attitude to go along with it. He's stuck it out here in utah, playing for peanutes... I'm really happy that someone is going to finally pay the kid what he's worth. At $3.75M per year you are getting an absolute STEAL with this kid, if he's given starter minutes that team is going to be scary!! But the great thing about CJ is he can play the 3 just as well as the two (at least that was the case in our system) which adds to his value here, the only way I see Utah matching this offer is if they feel CJ is the only player capable of starting at the 3 if AK is moved. Other than that he's just another wing man sitting on the bench.

...man i am so upset right now, I was really hoping CJ would stay here and blossom right in front of my eyes. Now I have to watch him do so within the same damn division!!!

Good catch OKC! your really gonna love this kid!
Bye Bye Sloan, Good Riddance Deron. Hello new Era in Jazz Basketball.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,155

Post#19 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Guy always had a 'deer in the headlights' look to me. I'm not sure he has the onions to be a factor in this league.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
markusj
Ballboy

Post#20 » by markusj » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Guy always had a 'deer in the headlights' look to me. I'm not sure he has the onions to be a factor in this league.

I've noticed the same thing about CJ Miles. He has the physical tools to do well in the NBA, but he's pretty weak mentally. Maybe a change of scenery will do him well, but quoting from Ron White "You can't fix stupid!"

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder