I can watch via cbc.ca?

With a Canadian IP, yes. http://olympics.cbc.ca/online-listing/

that's cool thanks!
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Re: Basketball - Day 8 Game Thread Aug. 13th 

Post#42 » by richboy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:32 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Is Equestrian really a bigger ratings grab than men's basketball? I know there's a lot less commercials than an NBA game, but NBC aired Equestrian instead and had the game aired on NBC Sports. There were also 4 Americans in the Mixed Doubles Tennis Finals, including Venus Williams, and they relegated that to Bravo.

If NBC knew team USA would only be winning by 1 possession they might put them on the main network. Problem is NBC sees the Olympic viewer as an Olympic sports fan who could care less about any traditional popular sport. The sports NBC loves loves are the ones that last 1 minute. That keeps the viewers and they quickly move to another event. Showing 1 non medal event for 2 hours not really what they want. Especially when team USA is expected to win by 30 points.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,143

Post#43 » by CjayC » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:36 am

IS there any scenario where Brazil can advance?

Is it Spain loss, Croatia loss or are they done?
young_frogger
Rookie
And1: 965

Post#44 » by young_frogger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:26 am

bb22 wrote:I am honestly dumbfounded. I like close games, but what is going on with these guys!? I thought it was just one bad game...then two. They are getting progressively worse and more anxious on both ends! France is a less organized team than Serbia and Australia, and they are playing without Tony Parker!

Not to make excuses for the U.S as they should absolutely be winning these games by more but France is better than both Serbia and Australia. They were the European Champions last year and they have more legit NBA talent than probably any team that isn't the USA (it has been a battle with them and Spain for a while now). Also, with the story of Stephen Jackson calling Tony Parker selfish, it appears there may be a little truth to that....

But no I can't buy into that, TP was the main reason they were able to win gold at the euros and there's no way they're worse off without him. I haven't been able to watch most of these games unfortunately but it appears the U.S is really missing some of their top guys, and I'm not just talking about Steph and Lebron. Kawhi, AD, CP3, Westbrook and Aldridge would all be a tremendous help right now on both ends of the floor.

Steph, for all the flack he received for his defense in the playoffs, is a great defender when healthy and when he has less of an offensive load. The league leader in steals which is a big part of the U.S' consistent success over the other teams. He is also less selfish/ball dominant than Kyrie and Lowry and better at running and playing in the flow of an offense and obviously creates better spacing off the ball than anyone else on the planet. Cp3 would also be an upgrade over both of these guys, especially when it comes to international ball and the amount of scoring talent USA already has.

Kawhi and Lebron and their impact on defense...nothing else needs to be said. A.D and Aldridge are both tailor made for international ball with their elite mid-range shooting (which in FIBA would probably qualify as 3 point range) would add a new dimension.

Even Harden would probably be the second most talented player on the current USA Roster and usually plays decent FIBA basketball. He would essentially be better versions of Kyrie and Lowry, scoring guards with play-making skills, just that Harden does so more efficiently and with that added size/strength. Westbrook's freakish athleticism and improved play-making would obviously change things for the better.

Personally, I think an underrated pick that would mesh better with the current Roster is Hassan Whiteside. He would be swatting shots all over the place and provide an intimidation factor that USA is currently lacking on defense. Deandre is obviously decent but he's not the same caliber shot blocker that Whiteside is and Hassan is also way better at scoring the basketball.
Carry On My Hayward Son
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#45 » by andrewww » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:49 am

Kyrie - CP3 - Westbrook
Curry - Klay - Harden
Durant - Kawhi
Lebron - Melo
Davis - Aldridge

Alternates who would be my pick in case of injuries: Cousins, PG13, Draymond.

No matter who you have starting, you get actual floor generals and shot creators for others in Paul and Lebron. Mid range scoring and interior defense in AD and LMA.

You have wings in Kawhi and Lebron replacing PG13 and Butler.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,143

Post#46 » by CjayC » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:22 am

Curry as a 2? I don't know. Not every 2 in International Play is Ronnie Brewer that you can just hide Curry on.

Would rather not suit Irving and bring George, Butler, or Derozan for extra wing defense. If you have Westbrook then Irving is not necessary. Westbrook can do much of the same off the dribble and he's actually strong enough to play spot minutes at the 2.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,575

Post#47 » by rockmanslim » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:27 am

Would Harden's ref-baiting even translate to international ball? Do int'l refs reward that stuff? I don't watch int'l ball, so that's a real question, not a rhetorical one.

Also, why do these teams have so much better offensive team play and ball movement than the US? I know the US has a legit excuse of having not been together long, but isn't that also true for int'l teams like France, Serbia, etc? Don't their players also have normal pro teams that they play for most of the year, and only come together for their respective national teams once in a while, much like the US team?
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#48 » by Dupp » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:11 am

why is barnes even on team usa?
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,019

Post#49 » by bb22 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:25 am

rockmanslim wrote:Would Harden's ref-baiting even translate to international ball? Do int'l refs reward that stuff? I don't watch int'l ball, so that's a real question, not a rhetorical one.

Also, why do these teams have so much better offensive team play and ball movement than the US? I know the US has a legit excuse of having not been together long, but isn't that also true for int'l teams like France, Serbia, etc? Don't their players also have normal pro teams that they play for most of the year, and only come together for their respective national teams once in a while, much like the US team?

Yes, surprisingly they do. He was very efficient on offense, but his defense was terrible. However, seeing how pathetic this team is on the defensive end, he wouldn't stand out at all.
SunKing
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,509

Post#50 » by SunKing » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

This Team USA sucks. Not a very good defensive team and a lot of players giving not so good vibes through their plays.

A huge huge drop-off from 2008 and 2012. I know Kobe and LeBron aren't there anymore but come on man we already saw in 2014 that they were better than that.

I feel like it's missing somekind of leadership. I mean when you come from LeBron/CP3/Kobe to Melo/KD/George... Don't get me wrong they aren't bad guys but well there's a gulf
element
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#51 » by element » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:15 pm

young_frogger wrote:
bb22 wrote:I am honestly dumbfounded. I like close games, but what is going on with these guys!? I thought it was just one bad game...then two. They are getting progressively worse and more anxious on both ends! France is a less organized team than Serbia and Australia, and they are playing without Tony Parker!

Not to make excuses for the U.S as they should absolutely be winning these games by more but France is better than both Serbia and Australia. They were the European Champions last year and they have more legit NBA talent than probably any team that isn't the USA (it has been a battle with them and Spain for a while now). Also, with the story of Stephen Jackson calling Tony Parker selfish, it appears there may be a little truth to that....

Spain was the eurobasket 2015 winner after beating Lithuania in the final game. France lost to Spain in the semi finals.
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,019

Post#52 » by bb22 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:16 pm

SunKing wrote:This Team USA sucks. Not a very good defensive team and a lot of players giving not so good vibes through their plays.

A huge huge drop-off from 2008 and 2012. I know Kobe and LeBron aren't there anymore but come on man we already saw in 2014 that they were better than that.

I feel like it's missing somekind of leadership. I mean when you come from LeBron/CP3/Kobe to Melo/KD/George... Don't get me wrong they aren't bad guys but well there's a gulf

Nah, what leaders did the 2014 team have? James Harden? Most of these guys just can't play team defense, move the ball, and make off the ball plays.
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#53 » by suckfish » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:28 pm

CjayC wrote:IS there any scenario where Brazil can advance?

Is it Spain loss, Croatia loss or are they done?

Pretty sure if Spain lose to Manu and friends and Brazil beat Nigeria, Brazil go through as they will have the same record as Spain but beat them head to head.
element
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#54 » by element » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:13 pm

It's a funny thing that eleven out of twelve Nigerian players are born in the USA, and the coach too.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#55 » by guille_4 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 pm

Spain 48 - Argentina 35 at the end of the second quarter.

When Spain hits it's 3s, we're a very good team. It opens up spaces inside and we have very good passing bigs.

Looking good so far, but one can never sleep on Argentina. They're tremendous competitors.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#56 » by guille_4 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:18 pm

That Canadian ref is a joke. WTF
salmon
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#57 » by salmon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:00 pm

CjayC wrote:Curry as a 2? I don't know. Not every 2 in International Play is Ronnie Brewer that you can just hide Curry on.

Would rather not suit Irving and bring George, Butler, or Derozan for extra wing defense. If you have Westbrook then Irving is not necessary. Westbrook can do much of the same off the dribble and he's actually strong enough to play spot minutes at the 2.

dude, seriously? Curry was the starting 2 at the 2010 world champs!!! Also name one 2 in this tournament who's stronger than Westbrook?
jptremblay
Rookie
And1: 1,215

Post#58 » by jptremblay » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:21 pm

jptremblay wrote:
bakesale wrote:
jptremblay wrote:If you're in USA, I can't help you, but if you're in Europe, send me a private and I will send you some great links.

It told me you have disabled private messages?

Don't know why...no problem, I will send you one later before the day 9 starts hopefully. If not, I will put the links here but I don't know if its allowed on this forum.

Sorry, I completely forgot it, hope that you could see last day matches.

Here are some:

http://www.feed2allnow.eu/type/basketball.html

http://www.sportcategory.com/c-6.html

http://atdhe.ru/basketball
When this account gets more "And1"s than posts written ...then my life will be complete. And maybe it will be the right time to hang it up. (Achieved on 2017-2018 season)...but still here.

Return to Olympics