Brazil's troubles leading up to the Games

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Brazil's troubles leading up to the Games 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:11 pm

One of the biggest topics leading up to the Rio Games is not positive for the host nation. For quite some time now there have been reports of all of the problems that Rio has endured leading up to the games.

Yes, there are problems like rail lines not being finished; but the problems here have included contaminated water, body parts washing up on a beach, a gun fight at a hospital set for use by tourists and the big Zika story that has had many athletes question if they wish to participate.

Here is a recap of many of these issues:

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/15/12122676/olympic-games-2016-rio-zika-security-budget-brazil
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Re: Brazil's troubles leading up to the Games 

Post#2 » by Von Bismarck » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:56 pm

I wouldn't worry about Zika that much, it's overblown by media and pharmaceutical lobby.

I, however, would worry about literally everything else.

I was in Brazil during the World Cup 2014 supporting my team and it was bad, even then. Social differences are astonishing there and some scenes I've seen there were surreal.

But yeah, it seems nowadays you ain't safe anywhere. Look at what my native Europe has turned into. France and many other Euro countries will never be the same most likely.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:I wouldn't worry about Zika that much, it's overblown by media and pharmaceutical lobby.

I, however, would worry about literally everything else.

I was in Brazil during the World Cup 2014 supporting my team and it was bad, even then. Social differences are astonishing there and some scenes I've seen there were surreal.

But yeah, it seems nowadays you ain't safe anywhere. Look at what my native Europe has turned into. France and many other Euro countries will never be the same most likely.

Judging by your user name I assumed your team was Germany. I did see that you posted the Croatian team in the basketball thread, though.

You're likely right about Zika, but it seems to be the go-to story for media outlets looking for coverage on the Olympics. It seems to overshadow a lot of the bigger problems you are referring to.

Since the World Cup I've read many stories about frustration from the locals about the money that's being spent on the Games, and suspicions that the money is not being used properly.
- Winston Churchill
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#4 » by Von Bismarck » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:39 pm

Mr. E wrote:Judging by your user name I assumed your team was Germany. I did see that you posted the Croatian team in the basketball thread, though.

You're likely right about Zika, but it seems to be the go-to story for media outlets looking for coverage on the Olympics. It seems to overshadow a lot of the bigger problems you are referring to.

Since the World Cup I've read many stories about frustration from the locals about the money that's being spent on the Games, and suspicions that the money is not being used properly.

They're both mine actually. I was following both of them. I went to one game each :D

Anyhow, yeah, Brazil is corrupt and dangerous as it gets so I would be very cautious down there.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Mr. E » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:01 am

Von Bismarck wrote:
Mr. E wrote:Judging by your user name I assumed your team was Germany. I did see that you posted the Croatian team in the basketball thread, though.

They're both mine actually. I was following both of them. I went to one game each :D

Anyhow, yeah, Brazil is corrupt and dangerous as it gets so I would be very cautious down there.

That's awesome!

(not the part about Brazil...)

Next spring/summer we're looking at a vacation in Croatia somewhere on the Dalmatian coast and a definite trip to Lake Plitvice!

I'll have to get around to Germany as well, I suppose...well, beyond the Frankfurt airport, which is the extent of my German travels so far! ;)
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Mr. E » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:20 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/report-new-zealand-athlete-kidnapped-by-police-at-gunpoint-in-rio/

A New Zealand athlete (not part of the Olympic team) claims to have been kidnapped by men dressed as police officers and forced to withdraw cash from an ATM.

Reading that it may have actually been some faction of police officers is scary. I don't know what the difference is supposed to be between the Rio police and the Tourist police.
- Winston Churchill
Cruzeirao
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#7 » by Cruzeirao » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Let me clarify ...

I am Brazilian and I live in one of the cities hosting the football (Belo Horizonte). Where did the 7 x 1 ... I was at the game... :banghead: :banghead:

I'm not a bit worried about Zika.
My only concern comes down to terrorists of foreign acts. The normal violence of the city also does not worry me, since as in the World Cup, everything ends up solving.

I will go to Rio for a week. I will watch the quarterfinals and the semifinals of Basketball (all matches).

I also have tickets for many other modalides as the end of soccer water polo, athletics (final of the 200 meters), etc.

Brazil is a fantastic country with hospitable people. I'm sure whoever comes, will enjoy.

Also, we have parties every day.

Despite some initial comments, we will be ready.

Come to Rio and enjoy.
tysanity87
Junior
And1: 35

Post#8 » by tysanity87 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm from Rio.

I'm really excited to have such great event in my city.

The violence here is as usual. Actually, in great events (PanAm 07, World Cup 14), I fell safer.

Come and enjoy. Not only the Olympics, but the atmosphere, the weather and the city.

I'll be at Brazil vs Spain, Croatia and Argentina. USA vs Serbia or France. And gold medal game (USA vs Brazil?) men's basketball.

Track and field 200m finals (hopefully Bolt).

Men's Football (soccer) gold medal game.

And plenty other little events.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Mr. E » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:41 am

Very happy to see some Brazilians posting here! I hope that you guys can share your experiences as the Games go on!
- Winston Churchill
DrewBynum77
Lead Assistant
And1: 322

Post#10 » by DrewBynum77 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:30 pm

The Zika thing is a case to be studied. Like the previous alarmism involving the so dangerous H1N1 flu which we ended up know that it kills in the same (low) rate as the normal flu. Luckily one pharmaceutical group had the only drug you could take against H1N1 symptoms (Tamiflu). Tamiflu is also recommended to combat the symptoms of the Zika Virus.

The Zika thing was worse because it's a tropical mosquito that spreads the virus and the mosquito needs heat+rain to reproduce. Considering the Olympics will be played in the dry winter of Brazil's south region... Still, one hundred plus scientists recommended IOC to cancel the event not long ago. :D

And the Winter only started in June, 20. Btw, Rio's got 16million inhabitants. The chances of being infected with Zika virus was 1 in 400000 in May. In July the odds of being infected are probably close to one in 1 million.

I wonder when the world faces a real epidemic if the people will believe in the initial warnings by the scientists, and we know it's very important to combat epidemics.

Return to Olympics