IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age

manun
Lead Assistant
And1: 57

Re: IOC orders investigation into He Kexin's age 

Post#61 » by manun » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Posey H8er wrote:Meh. Using performance enhancing drugs is cheating. So is violating the rules, and everyone (not just people in the United States) believe the Chinese gymnasts are underage. Thus, they did not win fairly under the Olympic rules. It's that simple.

These attacks against the American public here are pretty funny actually. Since nobody can defend these gymnasts legitimately all they turn to is insulting others.

How can we defend them? The commite says they are looking to be underaged but u ppl wont believe it. And its just americans that goes and complain for anything, wasnt it 2 americans that says they have proof from google search? :lol:
U make it sound proud that u lost to a bunch of kids , would u think china would complain even knowing they are underaged? They would f*kin be embarrassed, losing to a bunch of kids just shows that u dont deserve a medal im sure they would give up their own medals because complaining about kids kickin ur ass. Would u think it would make the american atheletes look better knowing they lost to kids? And is verdict out already? Calling other cheaters when u dont even know whats going on.

Ron ron on how commited he is to the team.
If he tells me to jump off the building, I'll jump off the building.
canoner
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#62 » by canoner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:33 pm

Posey H8er wrote:Meh. Using performance enhancing drugs is cheating. So is violating the rules, and everyone (not just people in the United States) believe the Chinese gymnasts are underage. Thus, they did not win fairly under the Olympic rules. It's that simple.

These attacks against the American public here are pretty funny actually. Since nobody can defend these gymnasts legitimately all they turn to is insulting others.

And nobody can accuse these gymnasts legitimately all they turn to is "it is obvious ..." or "of course nobody can prove they are guilty but come on ..." You guys are talking about this as if it were a foregone conclusion. And there are many people (not just people in China) believe this is nothing but americans being sore losers.
vwc228
Freshman

Post#63 » by vwc228 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:36 pm

the japanese have a gymnast that actually looks pretty young too but the americans are not complaining..i wonder why???? maybe because that gymnast wasn't really in competition with the americans....its funny how americans are all upset about this..this from the same people that covered up for Marion jones all these years while she was dominating everything and doping
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,750

Post#64 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:37 pm

vwc228 wrote:the japanese have a gymnast that actually looks pretty young too but the americans are not complaining..i wonder why????

Probably because there aren't several years worth of records reporting the Japanese gymnasts age as being less than what her passport states.

And it's not just Americans questioning the Chinese gymnasts.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#65 » by RockTHECasbah » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:37 pm

So, because they should be ashamed to lose to kids (although that can be an advantage in gymnastics), they should just let it go

You bring up every point other than the fact that they likely broke the rules

and what's wrong with using a Google search, do you not understand what a cache is

your arguments are so all over the place and irrational
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#66 » by MAQ » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:41 pm

there might be "many" people that believe this is america just being sore losers, but at the same time there are "many" people, not american fwiw, who believe this little girl is underaged as well. the fact is i dont care what people believe...i dont even really care about this situation, but i do find it very strange that the people defending the situation are completely offended by the questions being asked...why get so upset if you know that no wrong doing has been done?

also...when did the american people "cover up" for marion jones? maybe the us t&f team did and shame on them for doing so...but the people had no idea and hung her out as a villain just as we've done everyone that we've suspected of doping...

also...maybe the gymnast from japan didnt have a reported age of 13 in last year's world championship???
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#67 » by BlackMamba » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:57 pm

there shouldn't be an age restriction, why can athletes that are under 14 able to compete and in other events and not in gymnastics?
canoner
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by canoner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:08 pm

maq25060 wrote:i dont even really care about this situation, but i do find it very strange that the people defending the situation are completely offended by the questions being asked...why get so upset if you know that no wrong doing has been done?

If you read the whole thread, you would see the people defending the situation are open to two opposite scenarios. Some american fans get completely upset whenever someone doesn't agree with them. It is pretty clear who are more open-minded on this issue.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,750

Post#69 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:10 pm

BlackMamba wrote:there shouldn't be an age restriction, why can athletes that are under 14 able to compete and in other events and not in gymnastics?

There were a couple articles posted about why gymnastics chose to go with an age limit.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
canoner
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by canoner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:15 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:
BlackMamba wrote:there shouldn't be an age restriction, why can athletes that are under 14 able to compete and in other events and not in gymnastics?

There were a couple articles posted about why gymnastics chose to go with an age limit.

Makes no sense at all. It is not like underage girls don't compete in other international events. Both Johnson and Liukin did and made their names before 16. Why is IOC different.

But that is irrelevant to this matter on hand.
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by RockTHECasbah » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:21 pm

who cares if someone gets upset, if you denounce something as false when it has a good probability of being true of course they will be upset

may I ask, what counter-evidence do you use to throw out the documented evidence other than "because the IOC said so"?
canoner
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by canoner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:30 pm

RockTHECasbah wrote:who cares if someone gets upset, if you denounce something as false when it has a good probability of being true of course they will be upset

may I ask, what counter-evidence do you use to throw out the documented evidence other than "because the IOC said so"?

Other than legally accepted government documents (passport, residence registration, birth certificate), no. How do you prove age in US? Birth certificate or passport, right? Imagine someone say: "somewhere on the web, you date of birth was entered differently, so your birth certificate and passport are voided now." That is ridiculous, isn't it?
manun
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by manun » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:31 pm

maq25060 wrote:there might be "many" people that believe this is america just being sore losers, but at the same time there are "many" people, not american fwiw, who believe this little girl is underaged as well. the fact is i dont care what people believe...i dont even really care about this situation, but i do find it very strange that the people defending the situation are completely offended by the questions being asked...why get so upset if you know that no wrong doing has been done?

I dont really care, but wouldnt u find it suprsing there is already 2 threads about chinese gymnasts and how they won over americans? Who did create them? Also the first 5 posts are saying they are cheating etc etc so they seem to be the one offended. Im open minded, like i sad evidence have to be proofed but keep saying they are underaged.

RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by RockTHECasbah » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:38 pm

so 2 threads were started about an important issue in the Olympics, boo hoo

also, I started one of those threads (to complain a judging issue in trampoline) and as a Canadian I could care less if America wins

cheating would still be wrong and should be punished even if the cheating gymnasts finished 8th
manun
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by manun » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:41 pm

RockTHECasbah wrote:so 2 threads were started about an important issue in the Olympics, boo hoo

also, I started one of those threads (to complain a judging issue in trampoline) and as a Canadian I could care less if America wins

cheating would still be wrong and should be punished even if the cheating gymnasts finished 8th

So im swedish i could care about china or america.

RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by RockTHECasbah » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:47 pm

yah, you could
Bullsmaniac
RealGM

Post#77 » by Bullsmaniac » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:00 pm

manun wrote:
RockTHECasbah wrote:so 2 threads were started about an important issue in the Olympics, boo hoo

I thought I read that you're mom is ASian in another thread...

page 13 of this thread:

Robbed?: post your complaints

manun wrote:

I dont hate USA, i got family there and i love that country when going to canada. But what i hate is over patroism and name callings. U ask ur teacher if someone that is blind cant see reality and then name calls everyone would be loved?
If any americans feel bad what i wrote then i apologize, but not to the name calling ones /over patriotic ones. Have u thought about how these girls feels? I havent even seen anyone write about phelps taking drugs etc etc, ur judging them by how they look. Doesnt asian look young, my mom is like 50 year old and ppl say she look 30. So when she wants her pension after retiring she wouldnt get it because some dude says she looks 40? Btw, shes from asian country and during her times they didnt have birth certificate but they know her age knowing the moons circulation (unlike the suns circulation in the western world).

BTW, I'm filipino, so I am Asian also.
manun
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by manun » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:57 pm

Bullsmaniac wrote:
manun wrote:

I thought I read that you're mom is ASian in another thread...

page 13 of this thread:

Robbed?: post your complaints

manun wrote:

I dont hate USA, i got family there and i love that country when going to canada. But what i hate is over patroism and name callings. U ask ur teacher if someone that is blind cant see reality and then name calls everyone would be loved?
If any americans feel bad what i wrote then i apologize, but not to the name calling ones /over patriotic ones. Have u thought about how these girls feels? I havent even seen anyone write about phelps taking drugs etc etc, ur judging them by how they look. Doesnt asian look young, my mom is like 50 year old and ppl say she look 30. So when she wants her pension after retiring she wouldnt get it because some dude says she looks 40? Btw, shes from asian country and during her times they didnt have birth certificate but they know her age knowing the moons circulation (unlike the suns circulation in the western world).

BTW, I'm filipino, so I am Asian also.

Well my grand grandparents are from china, then they moved to india and got my grandparents. Then they got my parents, they moved to sweden and met eachother there and gave birth to me.
So u tell me what country i belong 2 T_T

RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by RockTHECasbah » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:03 pm

copied this from a comment made on another site:

"Good question... and this was the point that Karolyi (who is in favor of 14- and 15-year-olds competing on principle, and thinks the age limit is arbitrary) was making. Karolyi believes that younger gymnasts are at an advantage because they are lighter, more lithe and have less inate fear than older gymnasts. So let them compete on every team. Or let them compete on NO team. But you cannot put teams in head-to-head competition if you're not going to ask them ALL (even the host country) to play by the same rules.

It demeans everything the Olympics is supposed to stand for."
canoner
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by canoner » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:35 pm

You have to PROVE there is indeed underage gymnasts involved before talking about fairness. Nobody has proven anything first. Secondly, it is up to debate whether young gymnasts have an advantage. Notice it is Liukin, a 20-year-old, who won the all-around, not some 16-year old. The vault champion is 19, runner-up is 33! Floor exercise champion is 18. And the only Chinese girls who won anything in event finals, are He the center of the controversy, and Cheng another 20-year old. If age were such an advantage, why didn't we have 16-year-olds sweeping the table?

Return to Olympics