And1: 1,298

Re: All-Time non-Elite Fantasy Draft, Draft Thread 

Post#521 » by lilroddyb » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:41 pm

I'll go with Rudy tomjanovich

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-1jgNhopNo[/youtube]
we might hear this speech at the end of the playoffs

Warspite wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:I'm gonna take Latrell Sprewell

Spree and Sloan? That is a a reality TV show. Get your popcorn.

your turn
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,040

Post#522 » by Owly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:00 pm

Okay since there's no one left take their coach I might as well come in with my pick here.

There's a bunch of good coaches on the board, there were allusions to Don Nelson earlier (got some consideration but perhaps too aligned to a system, at least for much of his career), Vogel and Fitch given some thought, K.C Jones was seriously considered, Jeff van Gundy and Lenny Wilkens were close.

But fitting with the three year peak nature of this contest I'm going with Larry Bird

Why (given there were title winners on the board)?

- Bird's reputation ensures he commands the respect of the team (shouldn't be an issue, but when minutes get are tight with an all-time team it might help)

- Performance exceeded the talent (whether against '97 -factoring in Smits' injury - or '96) with the same core as coach already selected, Bird produced not insubstantial improvement in SRS.

- Playoff performance - Beyond the above Bird coached the '98 Pacers as close as anyone to defeating a full strength Bulls team (Riley's '92 Knicks also took it to 7 games and fwiw also posted a -3.8 per game differential; '93 Suns do a better job in differential, but this includes benefiting from a 8 point margin in triple OT win, so closer than the diff suggests and only 2-4 in the series); then too he took the 2000 Pacers to the finals and competed with the 3-peat Lakers (superior points diff, but a 2-4 loss). Overall a .615 win percentage in the playoffs is very favourable.

- Player's Coach - With elite players on an all time-y squad you don't need a ranter and raver or someone calling every play.

- Trusted (smart) people - Knew what he did best, and knew when to delegate. One instance would be bringing in Carlisle as his offensive assistant coach.

- Not antithetical to the modern game - Bird (like most ex-pros) might not be metrically inclined but his Pacers (and, okay, they had Reggie), shot and made a fair amount of three's and, at least as importantly, defended the three point line well.
thizznation
Starter
And1: 778

Post#523 » by thizznation » Wed Apr 1, 2015 12:40 am

I had an impulse to go super Don Nelsony, but I was able to control myself.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,100

Post#524 » by Warspite » Wed Apr 1, 2015 5:51 am

For my last pick I will take the best def wing player of the ABA and 40% 3pt shooter

Louie Dampier
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Post#525 » by JeepCSC » Wed Apr 1, 2015 11:36 am

RSCD3_ wrote:Pick : Dwight Howard

You're up.
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,040

Post#526 » by Owly » Wed Apr 1, 2015 12:13 pm

Couple of questions

Main one: How are the playoffs and seedings going to work then?

Side question: Just thought I'd get this in before the draft is completed (and everyone says "I can't believe player X wasn't drafted.") would anyone be interested in a side project with the players undrafted. I'm thinking of a lightning draft done in one session (so everyone online at once, maximum 3 minutes for a pick (maybe exactly 3 minutes so you know exactly when you're drafting in advance) something like 5 teams, 10 players per roster (3mx5x10= 150m, or 2 and a half hours). The when (big picture) doesn't matter too much to me, though when in the day would need to be co-ordinated for people available at different times and in different time zones.
JeepCSC
Starter

Post#527 » by JeepCSC » Wed Apr 1, 2015 1:59 pm

I'm intrigued by the idea of a lightning round, though if the logistics were worked out, I'd just as well use it to fill the last two "lost" rounds.

And I assume we are randmizing matchups. Unless you want to ask someone impartial from the player comp board to eyeball seedings quickly but with no commentary.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,280

Post#528 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Apr 2, 2015 12:15 am

parsnips33 wrote:Pick: Jason Kidd

Im Taking Gordon Hayward
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,128

Post#529 » by SkyHookFTW » Thu Apr 2, 2015 12:46 am

JeepCSC wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea of a lightning round, though if the logistics were worked out, I'd just as well use it to fill the last two "lost" rounds.

And I assume we are randmizing matchups. Unless you want to ask someone impartial from the player comp board to eyeball seedings quickly but with no commentary.

The lightning round to fill out the teams sounds good to me if put to a vote. Having the GM board determine seedings would be kind of cool.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Warspite
RealGM

Post#530 » by Warspite » Thu Apr 2, 2015 1:27 am

I would suggest making a 12th rd 1st come 1st serve. Still 10 players is most likely 2 too many.
JeepCSC
Starter

Post#531 » by JeepCSC » Thu Apr 2, 2015 1:37 am

If we did have seeding determined by someone else, I wonder if it could be blind seeding. They'd tell us who the match ups were in each round, but we wouldn't know the seedings.
Warspite
RealGM

Post#532 » by Warspite » Thu Apr 2, 2015 2:20 am

JeepCSC wrote:If we did have seeding determined by someone else, I wonder if it could be blind seeding. They'd tell us who the match ups were in each round, but we wouldn't know the seedings.

That's a given since any seeding ranks would taint the vote/perception.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,712

Post#533 » by parsnips33 » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:46 am

To round out my big rotation, I'm gonna take Theo Ratliff here
JeepCSC
Starter

Post#534 » by JeepCSC » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:59 am

And to finish off the draft, I'm going for a generationally talented forward who revolutionized his position. An added bonus, he won MVPs and lead his championship-winning squad in points, rebounds, and assists. I select Lebron James.
JeepCSC
Starter

Post#535 » by JeepCSC » Thu Apr 2, 2015 4:01 am

No, that's not right. I select Connie Hawkins.
thizznation
Starter
And1: 778

Post#536 » by thizznation » Thu Apr 2, 2015 10:06 am

Finally!
JeepCSC
Starter

Post#537 » by JeepCSC » Thu Apr 2, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm ready for anyone to just go dictator on us and get this show on the road.
JeepCSC
Starter

Post#538 » by JeepCSC » Thu Apr 2, 2015 2:34 pm

Well I'll do my part now while waiting for decision makers. We should at least have you post your team, though some have them in their signature already. I guess coaching strategy will come in with the write ups. So I'll do simply a hype post about my squad.

Talent is what talent does, but my team also likes to win. All but one have started in a ABA/NBA Finals game (over 160 Finals game starts between them all actually), and the one who hasn't will win MVP this year. They can all play multiple positions and multiple roles. They all excel at doing the little things that makes a team better. They are quite simply the most talented glue-team ever assembled.

I would add simply that this is a scorer's league, and no team has a better collection of scorers than mine. Every player can score, score a lot and efficiently. There will be no 4-on-5 lineups where I'm at the disadvantage. All are willing passers, some elite at it, there is no ball-stopper to be found. You can't load up on any one of my players and watch my offense stall or crumble. Anyone can score at anytime from anywhere on the court. That kind of seamless basketball offense will always trump even a great defense. A ball travels faster than a player, and we will put that maxim to good use.

Saying that, I didn't ignore defense. Rasheed can defend either big spot extremely well, Pippen is perhaps the GOAT perimeter defender, the rest of my starters are good man defenders, and my bench provides flexibility with some outstanding defenders. I will not win games with my defense alone, but I won't lose them because of it either.

One thought to remember, this isn't about the best careers. If it was, I'd bust out. Knees, drugs, gambling, my team took it on the chin and careers were ruined as a result. But this is about peaks, and peaks are very good for my team. I have several who are in the HOF on the strength of their peaks alone. I'd argue there is probably no team better than mine once you factor in peaks. Most seem to have gone the route of finding role players to fill in. I went with superstar talents who were willing to take diminished roles to fill in the holes, and I think the difference will be apparent when the benches play.

At any rate, peak Rasheed could battle peak Duncan and peak KG to draws, peak Pippen is a better #2 than anyone else's #2 because he is the definition of second banana, peak Thompson has a strong case against most any shooting guard peaks outside 3 or 4 (two of whom are unavailable), peak Curry might be in the conversation for top 5 point guard peaks in my lifetime, peak Hawkins was arguably top 5 most talented scorers of the '60s. We never got to see peak Sampson because of injuries and him playing out-of-position after 1984, but he had the tools to be one of the best players ever and even in his shortened career we saw enough that he remains one of the most skilled centers to ever play.

PG: 2013-2015 Stephen Curry- 1 x second-team All-NBA, 2 x All-Star;

Will at all times be the best shooter on the floor; the fact that he is about as smart a point guard there has been ain't too bad either. A commitment to the Triangle will allow Curry's strengths to be maximized and his limitations to be, well, limited. He will be the leader of my team.

SG: 1976-1978 David Thompson- 2 x first-team All-NBA, 1 x second-team All-ABA, 4 x All-Star, HOF;

Walton was a 2-time POY in college and yet he did not win either POY or a title as a senior (ending a 7-year title run) because of this guy; he brought his talents to the ABA and went toe-to-toe with peak Dr. J (albeit in a loss). He continued his success in the transition to the NBA, providing an efficient electrifying shooting guard model within the framework of a fully functional offense that would capture the imaginations of a generation. The closest my team has to a go-to scorer, he will however not be shooting for the league scoring title here, and will be used simply as a piece of the offensive puzzle.

SF: 1994-1996 Scottie Pippen- 3 x first-team All-NBA, 2 x second-team All-NBA, 2 x third-team All-NBA, 8 x All-D first team, 2 x All-D second team, 7 x All-Star, HOF;

His help defense and ability to run an elite offense make him priceless, he is the Swiss-army knife of superstars. He is the personification of hard-working glue men that my team represents. He can and will do whatever it takes to help the team win.

PF: 2001-2003 Rasheed Wallace- 4 x All-Star;

The prototypical power forward in today's game, he can score from anywhere, and he can defend anyone. While I picked his Portland years as his peak, I realize he was not utilized then as well as he was with the Pistons. We will fix that here. He will not be my primary weapon on offense, and he will flourish without the added responsibility. Any untimely run-in with a virtual ref will merely cause me to go to Hawkins/Debusschere a bit more as I see fit, something that sounds a-ok to me.

C: 1981-1983 Robert Parish- 1 x second-team All-NBA, 1 x third-team All-NBA, 9 x All-Star, HOF;

The solidly efficient back line to my front court, he can rebound, score and battle. The most overlooked third of the greatest front court in history, he will the yang to Wallace's yin. His range to 12-15 feet will keep the best big defenders off-balance just enough for Thompson/Curry and company to have a field day penetrating.

Bench:
2011-2013 Tony Parker- 3 x second-team All-NBA, 1 x third-team All-NBA, 6 x All-Star, Finals MVP;

Can run an elite offense, is elite at attacking the basket and hitting from mid-range. He is ideal to give Curry some rest and keep my offense humming along.

1980-1982 Dennis Johnson- 1 x first-team All-NBA, 1 x second-team All-NBA, 6 x All-D first-team, 3 x All-D second-team, 5 x All-Star, Finals MVP, HOF;

A do-it-all combo guard who brings a physical defensive presence. Magic's kryptonite (at least for one Finals), he was also trusted to take a clutch shot on a team with Bird and McHale. He could change his style to fit which ever contender he was on. The type of player every team should have at least one of (or three or four of).

1969-1971 Dave DeBusschere- 1 x second-team All-NBA, 6 x All-D first-team, 8 x All-Star, HOF;

My frontcourt counterpoint to Johnson, he could battle well with Wilt or Baylor. He was well-suited for today's game, a forward with range and a willingness to pass.

1969-1971 Connie Hawkins- 1 x first-team All-NBA, 2 x first-team All-ABA, ABA MVP, ABA playoff MVP, 5 x All-Star, HOF;

A forward ahead of his time, even if we saw only glimpses of what his peak could have been. He could attack the basket with relish, and no one was stopping him. Might be the best player on my team peak-wise, and that is only counting ABA whereas perhaps his true peak was lost with the Globetrotters.

1984-1986 Ralph Sampson- 1 x second-team All-NBA, 4 x All-Star, HOF;

A center so talented he thought he was a guard. But we will stick to what he is best at here, a defensive center presence which provides nightmarish mismatches offensively.

Coach: Tex Winter- Wrote the blueprint which built dynasties. They say it wasn't the triangle, it was merely the talent. I say let's try both.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#539 » by Dr Spaceman » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:29 pm

Hype train pulling into the station...

There has never been anything like the heights my team will be able to reach offensively. Obviously the star of the show is Steve Nash, arguably the most gifted playmaker in the history of the league, and the guy who led a scorching offensive dynasty the likes of which the league had never seen. Nash is dynamic, brings the best offensive talents out of anyone he plays with, fosters a communal team environment (most underrated aspect of his greatness), and leads the charge on my blistering attack. Give him his partner in crime to finish off pick and roll, and you're already on your way to building an offensive powerhouse. I could watch hours and hours of those two guys running PNR over and over again and never get bored. Nash is fun.

Besides Nash, I have 3 other elite playmakers on my squad, namely Iguodala, Hornacek, and Dragic. Seriously, when Goran Dragic is arguably the 4th best playmaker on your team, that's a borderline miracle. It means that no matter what lineup I put out, I will have at least 1 elite playmaker on the floor at all times, and most of the time even two or 3. Picture the ball zipping around the floor end to end, with wide open 3s and dunks before the defense even knows what hit them. The Spurs and Hawks combined couldn't dream of doing what my team is about to offensively.

Rodman is the lynchpin, the glue guy, whatever. He's the guy who holds everything together behind the scenes while everyone runs wild. The greatest rebounder by far since the 60s, and one of the most versatile and effective defenders in NBA history. He can guard anyone from 1-5 (literally, he's guarded Magic in the Finals and Shaq in a playoff series), and he can start the break with his outlet passes. He's the enforcer on my team, and brings intensity and hustle, setting an example for everyone on the defensive end.

Another key tenet of my team is versatility. My identity is obviously SSOL, but I knew it couldn't be an all-the-time thing. I went out and targeted guys who are long, tenacious defenders, and could play multiple positions. I can throw out lineups like Nash/Christie/Iggy/Rodman/Chandler... good luck scoring on that. With Rodman/Iggy/Christie on the wings, my team will be impossible to move the ball against and frustrate the hell out of opposing ball-handlers.

My team also has a plethora of shooters, with Nash/Horny/Dragic/Aldridge all being elite shooters and Iggy, Christie and Worthy being very respectable in their own right. Bombs away!

And finally, I've probably assembled the most potent fast break you will ever see. With Nash leading the charge and weapons like Worthy, Dragic, Iguodala... Jesus wept.

Yeah, I'm feeling my team.

Steve Nash (2005-2007)
Jeff Hornacek (1990-1992)
Andre Iguodala (2010-2012)
Dennis Rodman (1990-1992)
Amar'e Stoudemire (2005-2008, injured in 2007)

Bench:
Goran Dragic (2013-2015)
Doug Christie (2001-2003)
James Worthy (1987-1989)
LaMarcus Aldridge (2013-2015)
Tyson Chandler (2011-2013)
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
RevisIsland
Senior
And1: 148

Post#540 » by RevisIsland » Thu Apr 2, 2015 7:03 pm

I am on my phone, so I am not going to write a long post at this time, however, I will post my team.

Starters:

Gary Payton
Kawhi Leonard
Kevin Durant
Blake Griffin
Artis Gilmore

Bench:
Kyrie Irving
Raja Bell
Paul George
Pau Gasol
Wes Unseld