Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Re: All-Time non-Elite Fantasy Draft, Draft Thread 

Post#541 » by Quotatious » Fri Apr 3, 2015 1:54 am

Here's why my team would be great:

The main thing is that Ben Wallace and Kevin Garnett give me GOAT level interior defense and rebounding. Wallace's average DBPM for the 3-year stretch I selected is +6.8 - he led the league in DBPM and DWS every year between '02 and '04, and his defensive splits in NPI RAPM were +2.2, +2.6 and +3.6 - he peaked at +4.6 on defense in prior informed RAPM, in 2004. His average TRB% between '02 and '04 was 21.1% - second in '02, first in '03 and third in '04. He's a two time DPOY, in '02 and '03, and finished second in '04 (also won two more, in '05 and '06). He was also one of the best shotblockers in the NBA, with 6.3% BLK.
Garnett's average DBPM between '03 and '05 was +4.4 (ranked 7th, 4th and 6th, respectively), ranked 4th in DWS in '03, and second in both '04 and '05. His average TRB% was 19.7% - ranked 4th, 2nd and 4th, respectively. Garnett obviously won the MVP in '04 (almost unanimously - he got 120 of 123 possible first place votes), and finished as a fairly close runner-up behind Duncan in '03. Garnett also had 2+ defensive splits in RAPM. KG was a fairly decent shotblocker (3.1% BLK), but it's not the most important aspect of his defense - the most important thing about Garnett's defense is his ability to disrupt pick & rolls and command his team's defense, be a vocal leader. Both Garnett and Wallace were outstanding pick & roll defenders, and Big Ben was also an elite rim protector, despite being a bit undersized for a center (but he had very long arms). Remember how great Ben and Rasheed were, defensively? Ben and Kevin would be even better.

Wallace and Garnett are both top 10 (arguably even top 5) defensive players of all-time. Think about it - we've never seen anything like it in the NBA, maybe except for Duncan/Robinson (but unlike the Spurs duo, my guys would be at their absolute peaks).

Depending on matchups, I can also start Brad Daugherty alongside KG. He's not a very good defender, but he's a certainly an excellent, polished low post scorer (21.1 ppg on 61.4% TS) , and a great passer (Garnett may be an even better passer). I plan on splitting the minutes fairly evenly between Wallace and Daugherty, because one guy brings exactly what the other lacks - Wallace is a great defender, but very poor offensive player, Daugherty is the opposite (but Brad's defense is better than Ben's offense). However, I'd rather start Ben, to set the tone defensively right from the beginning, along with KG, and then Daugherty comes in to provide an extra scoring punch. Daugherty was also a good rebounder - 10.5 rpg, 16.0% TRB.

My backup power forward is Clifford Robinson - stretch 4, good athlete, good defender. Almost 37% from beyond the arc, on over 5 attempts per game (I've selected '95-'97 versions of him, and the 3-point line was shortened all three seasons, but he was still a pretty respectable 3-point shooter even with the normal 3-point line, after '97). Capable of averaging 20+ ppg, on about league average efficiency (as he did twice during that 3-year stretch). Really bad rebounder, but I won't use him that much - KG will play about 35-37 minutes, so Cliff only plays about 11-13 minutes, and I'll make sure that Ben Wallace is on the floor with Cliff, all the time, to help mask his weakness as a rebounder.

Now, my backcourt - extremely explosive, awesome transition/open court players like Drexler and KJ - both excellent scorers and playmakers, both pretty unselfish. We're talking about consistent All-NBA 2nd team level performers, in the era when they had to compete with guards like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and John Stockton, among others. Drexler even made the All-NBA 1st team, at his peak in 1992.
KJ is gonna be the primary ballhandler and offensive threat in half-court offense. KJ/KG pick and roll (by the way - both guys have the same first and middle name - Kevin Maurice, which is funny) is gonna be one of the most important parts of my offensive system.
Drexler worked very well as an off-ball player, and he'll have a chance to do so on my team, plus he'll be the secondary ballhandler.

Hersey Hawkins is a great shooter (40% on 3.3 attempts in the early 90s), capable of creating his own shot, and playing decent defense. He also moves the ball well. Seems like a good backup for Clyde.

Michael Cooper brings exactly what Kevin Johnson lacks - size, versatile defense and 3-point shooting (especially in the playoffs, where he shot 45% on 3.1 attempts per game, in the mid/late 80s :o ). He was actually coming off the bench for a stacked team, for almost his entire career, so I'm sure he would accept this role.

My small forwards also complement each other pretty well. Peja Stojakovic is one of the best 3-point shooters in NBA history, he shot over 41% on almost 6 attempts per game, during the 3-year stretch I've selected. Tayshaun Prince was a very good defender (Peja certainly wasn't), with great length, but also good enough quickness to guard explosive wing players (he did a very good job guarding Kobe in the 2004 finals). Also a decent 3-pt shooter - 36.2% on 2.2 attempts per game.
Stojakovic is also comfortable playing off-ball, so I can have KJ and Drexler as my primary ballhandlers/playmakers, and even allow KG to play some point forward, at times (like he did so often in Minnesota, in the early/mid 2000s).

Finally, my team will be coached by Rick Adelman. I have three players who Adelman actually coached (Drexler and Robinson in Portland, Stojakovic in Sacramento), and I also have bigmen who are tailor-made for Adelman's Princeton offense - KG will play Chris Webber's role (he's just as good offensively, also a terrific passer/playmaker for a PF, but way better defensively), and Brad Daugherty playing Divac's/Brad Miller's role.

To be perfectly honest, I don't see any team that would be clearly superior than mine. I really like trex's, Owly's and RSCD's teams, but I think my guys could beat anybody here.

Any early power rankings, guys? Image
JeepCSC
Starter
And1: 1,491

Post#542 » by JeepCSC » Fri Apr 3, 2015 2:32 am

So how does this usually work once match ups are decided?
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,104

Post#543 » by SkyHookFTW » Fri Apr 3, 2015 5:04 am

No team has the pure level of talent, versitility and accolades that my team has. The RealGM Top 100 project agrees: 8 of my 10 players, 80% of my team, is represented in the Top 100 project. My team is the best balanced out of all. GOAT rebounding, GOAT post play, speedy, athletic combo guards, fast, rebounding SF's (one a combo forward), insane volume and efficient scoring, plenty of defense...and 70% of my team played or coached in the 80's, the toughest era of basketball ever. My players excelled on the court. Plus I have a coach who knows not only how to play but knows how to get a team of stars to play together and win a title. And if that isn’t enough, I have, wrapped into one player, a GOAT-level flopper AND a GOAT-level beard.

All of my players have skills that fit in today’s game.

I believe that some of the older players are getting no respect. I’m still trying to figure out how players like Alex English, Hal Greer, and Billy Cunningham fell to me.

Moses Malone (81-83)
Kevin McHale (87-89)
Bobby Jones (80-82)
James Harden (13-15)
Isiah Thomas (84-86)

Jack Sikma (82-84)
Billy Cunningham (69-71)
Alex English (85-87)
Hal Greer (67-69)
Calvin Murphy (78-80)

Coach: Billy Cunningham (.698 win%)

It’s 1:00 AM here, so without going into insane detail, here is a snippet of each player.

Moses: 12x NBA all-star, 3x MVP, 1x finals MVP, 1x all-1st defense team, 1x all-2nd team defense, 5x all-NBA 1st team, 5x all-NBA 2nd team, outplayed Kareem and Hakeem head to head in their careers. Led the league in rebounding 6 times. Over 1,200 games in a row without fouling out (NBA record, as Wilt didn’t play as many games as Moses) despite his physical play. GOAT offensive rebounder, GOAT-level rebounder period. Excellent playoff performer, averaged 22.1 points and 14 rebounds per game in the playoffs. Respectable 76% FT shooter. Was a key player in one of the GOAT teams of all-time…some say that 76ers team is the best ever.

Ugh…too tired. I’ll get back and finish this tomorrow. I have to get up for work in four hours.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,496

Post#544 » by Jaivl » Fri Apr 3, 2015 9:51 am

I have Mookie. I don't need hype. No fancy names, just well-defined roles.

PG: 95-97 Mookie Blaylock
PG: 13-15 Russell Westbrook
SG: 05-08 Manu Ginóbili (Injured in 06 -well, always injured-)
SG: 11-13 Tony Allen

SF: 10-12 Luol Deng
SF: 08-10 Danny Granger
PF: 05-07 Dirk Nowitzki
PF: 09-11 Nene Hilario
C: 97-99 Dikembe Mutombo
C: 88-90 Bill Laimbeer
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
thizznation
Starter
And1: 778

Post#545 » by thizznation » Fri Apr 3, 2015 10:08 am

Great write ups so far.

There have been some great teams already discussed here but where my team outshines the rest is versatility and the ability to go big or small depending on the opposing team and always being able to exploit chosen mismatches. I have lots of long athletic players that can shoot the ball very well and defend multiple positions.

My default line up is going to be very well rounded with Tim Hardaway playing a classic PG Role, Ray Allen being your prototype SG, Andre Kirilenko with a role of fortifying the perimeter defense and spacing with corner 3's, McAdoo is going to be scoring lots of buckets and be utilized to stretch the 4 when needed, Ewing is going to be a low post offensive option and will also be used to draw out opposing centers depending on the situation, he will also be my rim protector.

So with this line up will have great overall defense, fantastic floor spacing, dribble penetration, 2 different pick and roll/pop options, 2 different low post options, multiple iso options, basically all 5 players on the court can score in multiple ways. I have lots of different options(understatement) allowing me to pick the weakest link of the opposing team to attack. This starting line up has an average TS% of .590

My bench has some great replacements for seamless changes. When Ewing needs to sit there will be no freebies in the paint with Marcus Camby replacing him. When Ray needs to hit the bench Dale Ellis will be able to fit his role like a glove. For PF I can start to explore many options, I can play Otis Thorpe if I'm getting torched by opposing bigs in the block, I can slide AK-47 to the 4 for great defense and floor stretching, I can put Lamar Odom in for help in play creation, or I could go very big with Ewing at PF and Camby at C. This is just a taste of my team's flexibility.

A small ball line up of Baron Davis, Ray Allen, Dale Ellis, Andre Kirilenko, and Bob McAdoo would put up some terrifying offensive numbers.

Basically my team can stomp on the gas or pump the breaks depending on the situation of the game. I think this is what separates my team from the rest.

(Will finalize player years and give full individual player write ups soon.)
thizznation
Starter

Post#546 » by thizznation » Fri Apr 3, 2015 10:20 am

Quotatious wrote:KJ is gonna be the primary ballhandler and offensive threat in half-court offense. KJ/KG pick and roll (by the way - both guys have the same first and middle name - Kevin Maurice, which is funny)

What!!! :lol: My mind is blown...

That isn't all I got from your write up btw, great job.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#547 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Apr 3, 2015 11:53 am

Oh and since Q is providing stats, I can't let my team have less hype than someone else.

Steve Nash: 17.7/11.2 on .513/.444/.903, +6.11 ORAPM in 2005, +6.04 in 2006, +10.22 in 2007.
Jeff Hornacek: 18.3/5.6 AST on .521/.425/.881 (Yes, both my starting guards are essentially 50/40/90 guys)
Andre Iguodala: 16.8/5.7/6.0 and +3.34/+4.94 in DRAPM.
Dennis Rodman: DPOY in 90 and 91. TRB% of 19.0, 21.3 (led league), and 26.2 (led league by a mile)
Amar'e Stoudemire: 23.9/9.2 on .632 TS% (finished 5th in scoring and 1st in TS% in 2008)

Goran Dragic: 17.1/5.9 on .484/.360/.757 with a peak season of 20.3/5.9 on .505/.408/.760
Doug Christie: 2.2 stl and .372 from 3. +4.93 and +6.60 in DRAPM. 1 1st team All-D and 2 2nd team All-D.
James Worthy: 19.9/5.6 on .577 TS%, stepped up his scoring to 22.9 in the playoffs "Big Game James".
LaMarcus Aldridge: 22.6/10.1 on .522 TS%.
Tyson Chandler: 10.6/9.9 on .692 TS% (led league all 3 years) +3.61, +3.60 in DRAPM.

My starting 1-3 average 22.5 assists between them. My 2 starting guards are both 50/40/90. I have a defensive terror at every position except PG. I have the GOAT rebounder and the GOAT playmaker. I have the GOAT pick and roll big and two of the best transition players coming off my bench. LOADED.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,104

Post#548 » by SkyHookFTW » Fri Apr 3, 2015 3:52 pm

As promised, here are short bio's of my insanely talented team.

No team has the pure level of talent and accolades that my team has. The RealGM Top 100 project agrees: 8 of my 10 players, 80% of my team, is represented in the Top 100 project. My team is the best balanced out of all. GOAT rebounding, GOAT post play, speedy, athletic combo guards, fast, rebounding SF's (one a combo forward), insane volume and efficient scoring, plenty of defense...and 70% of my team played or coached in the 80's, the toughest era of basketball ever. My players excelled on the court. Plus I have a coach who knows not only how to play but knows how to get a team of stars to play together and win a title. And if that isn’t enough, I have, wrapped into one player, a GOAT-level flopper AND a GOAT-level beard.

All of my players have skills that fit in today’s game.

I believe that some of the older players are getting no respect. I’m still trying to figure out how players like Alex English, Hal Greer, and Billy Cunningham fell to me.

Moses Malone (81-83)
Kevin McHale (87-89)
Bobby Jones (80-82)
James Harden (13-15)
Isiah Thomas (84-86)

Jack Sikma (82-84)
Billy Cunningham (69-71)
Alex English (85-87)
Hal Greer (67-69)
Calvin Murphy (78-80)

Coach: Billy Cunningham (.698 win%)

It’s 1:00 AM here, so without going into insane detail, here is a snippet of each player.

Moses: 12x NBA all-star, 3x MVP, 1x finals MVP, 1x all-1st defense team, 1x all-2nd team defense, 5x all-NBA 1st team, 5x all-NBA 2nd team, outplayed Kareem and Hakeem head to head in their careers. Led the league in rebounding 6 times. Over 1,200 games in a row without fouling out (NBA record, as Wilt didn’t play as many games as Moses) despite his physical play. GOAT offensive rebounder, GOAT-level rebounder period. Excellent playoff performer, averaged 22.1 points and 14 rebounds per game in the playoffs. Respectable 76% FT shooter. Was a key player in one of the GOAT teams of all-time…some say that 76ers team is the best ever. Was a good man-to-man defender, and under Cunningham played his best team defense. Entering the league at a skinny 215 lbs., bulked up to 250 with the 76ers.

Kevin McHale: GOAT-post player, 7x all-star, 3x all-1st team defense, 3x all-2nd team defense. First NBA player to shoot over 60% from the field and 80% from the foul line in the same season. Key component of the best front court in NBA history (the original Big Three). Has jumps, spin moves, dips, and a sweet touch that complimented his defensive ability—a great two-way player. He was another player who played just as well in the playoffs. He was tough: played through a post-season with a broken bone in his foot—effectively. The man called Frankenstein has some of the longest arms ever seen on a court.

Bobby Jones: It’s not a stretch to say he is a top-three defensive player in NBA history. 4x all-star, 8x all-1st team defense, 1x all-2nd team defense in the talent stacked late 70’s-80’s, no less. If ABA counts, he was 1st team defense two years, which means that every year he played, he was 1st team defense except for the one year he only made 2nd team all-defense. You like “glue guys?” You like effective, efficient team players? Look no further than Bobby Jones. Jones didn’t cheat or take unfair advantage of anything—he was too much of a Christian gentleman to do so. What he earned on defense was earned through pure technique and positioning—probably the best technical defender the NBA has ever seen (according to basketball god Sonny Hill as well). Jones didn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective, and his efficient scoring was always an asset. Able to play both the SF and PF positions (he had too when Dr. J was on the floor with him), Jones did whatever it took to help his team win.

Trivia: Bobby Jones and Bob McAdoo competed against each other in high school in the high jump.

James Harden: a modern player that is well-known enough that I don’t need to write about him. Fear the Beard, and Don’t Mock the Flop! Will one day take his place in the RealGM top-100…probably knocking off a player on someone else’s team, hehe. Larry Bird=.376 3pt%, James Harden=.370 3pt%...I’m not complaining too much. His best three years have produced eye-popping numbers.

Isiah Thomas: One of RealGM’s most polarizing players. Here are the quick facts. On my team, he ain’t chucking the ball, which is good because you can’t deny his playmaking abilities (although some will find a way to do so anyway). I myself am not a particular big fan of his game, but the man didn’t become a 12x all-star because he sucked. This whole league is a playoff atmosphere, and that is when he stepped up. A true 20-10 player in his prime.

Jack Sikma: Would you like to have a 7-footer today who can space the floor, has a nice shot to 17 feet, can hit the “3”, get 18+/11+ in his prime, and have the ability to shoot over 90% from the FT line? Well, that’s Jack Sikma. Trivia: AFAIK, he is the only center to shoot over 90% from the FT line two years in a row….hell, one of the few players ever to do that. His .922% one year is still one of the NBA’s best ever. A great workaholic-type to spell Moses or even put in if I want to change up the offense. When people discuss HoF snubs, his name come up a lot. The 7x all-star also made an all-NBA defensive team. His shot was damn near impossible to block, as he pulled it behind and above his head. He led the league in defensive rebounds 2x’s. When Yao Ming came into the league, he was the man hired to teach him the details of playing the game. His 32.8% 3pt% is among the best ever for a center (might be the best, not sure).

Billy Cunningham: The Kangaroo Kid was the 6th man on the GOAT team. Incredible leaper, remarkably consistent, smart, speedy, “instant offense,” one of the best rebounding SF’s around, and can play defense, how did he fall to me?????? The 4x all-star, 3x all-NBA first teamer (would have had more awards if he didn’t jump to the ABA for a few years), averaged close to 23 points and over 12 boards per game in his NBA peak. Averaged over 5 assists at his NBA peak and not an embarrassment at the FT line either. Fast, could jump, slash, attack the basket, score and rebound…would transition well into today’s game, keeping defenders honest. Injuries cut his career short...he would be higher up the ladder if not.

Alex English: Speaking of offense, how about the highest scoring player of the talent stacked 1980’s? An 8x all-star? 3x all-NBA second team? How did this pure scoring machine fall to me???? 28/5 at his peak, not physically strong but possessor of great technique and a tough to block shot, one might call him the offensive Yin to B. Jones’s defensive Yang. His Per 36 minute and Per 100 possession numbers are off the charts. Small ball? Hehe, put English and Cunningham on the floor at the same time with big guard Harden, any PG and Moses in the paint…have fun guarding that lineup.

Hal Greer: I have to believe he lasted as long as he did due to a bias from 60’s players. The shooting guard from the NBA GOAT team, this combo guard was athletic, fast, strong, and despite being the 3rd best guard of his era (behind Oscar and Jerry), was said (by Oscar and Jerry, no less) to have the best mid-range jumper of his day. A 10x all-star, 7x all-NBA second teamer, he averaged over 22ppg and 5.5 boards while shooting 80% from the FT line. Adjusted for his era, that’s quite good, and given his shooting skills and technique, could develop a 3 point shot if he played today.

Calvin Murphy: I think he’s the shortest player picked for the draft. Quickness and defense was his hallmark. The short combo guard was putting up 20ppg at his peak. Remarkably consistent for most of his career, he once held the NBA FT% record at .958 for a season. Never an all-start, he was just one of those guys who came in and did what he had to do. Trivia: with at least 14 children from 9 different women, he deserves to be mentioned among the GOAT baby-mama makers.

Coach: Billy Cunningham. Who knows what his coaching record would be if he stayed longer? He reached the 200-win, 300-win, and 400-win mark faster than any coach in history. Every year he coached he made the playoffs. He knew how to make a team of stars work together...something he had first-hand experience with from his playing days on the 66-67 GOAT 76ers. Cunningham coached against teams in the talent-stacked 80's, so going up against other star-studded teams is nothing new for him as a player and coach. Trivia: he helped bring the Miami Heat into existence.

This team can score from the perimeter, from inside, from midrange, and from the foul line. This team can go big ball or small ball, and is just a nightmare to defend against--too many weapons to shut down. Scorers like English, Cunningham (excellent rebounder too), and Greer coming off the bench, plus a big like Sikma who can hit from the outside and still gets boards? Yikes, the opposing defense never gets a break.This team can play defense quite well too. Bobby Jones should be on everyone's all-time starting five on D, not to mention the other players who can defend.

Starting five: Moses (C), McHale (PF), B. Jones (SF), The Beard (SG), Zeke (PG). My starting five has the perfect blend of inside (Moses and McHale) with perimeter shooting (Beard). The Moses-McHale duo is the best offensive inside game of any team. McHale may be the GOAT post-up player, Moses GOAT offensive rebounder, so I will score inside. The other teams cannot pack the paint with THE BEARD on the perimeter. Least they forget, Bobby Jones is a very efficient shooter when he shoots, especially from midrange. Billy C. was imploring him to shoot more with the Sixers, a big compliment when you look at that stacked 83 team. Zeke is a great playmaker; given the scoring on this team, he won't have to make many passes or shoot much at all. The starting five has too many weapons to stop--any defense will have to spread itself out thin. That is bad news against my post game.

Should a team decide to small ball me with speed, well, I can do that too. I'm not worried about my guards, as I have speedy Calvin Murphy to relieve Zeke (who is fast anyway), and athletic deadly jump-shooting Hal Greer to take over. Greer, used to playing at a high pace, will run all day. As stated earlier, he was considered by coaches and players to have the best midrange jumper of his era, better than West or Oscar. But the real trump card is being able to bring in Billy Cunningham and Alex English on the floor at the same time. Billy C. will slash, leap, grab rebounds, play D, and score....English, Mr. Silk himself, was the highest scoring player of the stacked 80's. Watch his highlights and view the artistry and moves he had. Finally, Jack Sikma gives me a big with some speed, a 3 point shot, very good midrange shooting, rebounding, and a nice all-around game. Sikma would be a very coveted player in today's game. He is also the best shoot big from the FT line in NBA history.

My front court and back court can switch up to meet any challenge--or cause mismatches on the other end. Jones played a lot of PF for the 76ers; McHale did play center at times effectively, and Moses is really a natural PF. All three can switch and be effective. Hal Greer was moved off the pint earlier in his career because he was too good of a SG, but he played the point very well. Zeke and Murphy can both play SG, but their size makes me not want to do that. Harden would be a killer PG...I'm trying to imagine a Greer-Harden backcourt. Switching Greer with Zeke and using Sikma with either Moses or McHale at PF might be the ultimate spacing on offense of any team.

On defense, Having one of the GOAT defenders in Bobby Jones is a coup--almost every year he played he was 1st team all-NBA defense (one year he was "only" 2nd team). Paired with McHale, an excellent defender in his own right (everyone forgets he was 4x 1st team, 4x 2nd team all-NBA defender), and Moses (actually a good one-on-one guy who played good team D under Cunningham), the front court will hold its own. Rebounding is a given with Moses, McHale, Sikma, Jones, and Cunningham. Moses bulked up to 250+ with the 76ers, and given that he never gives up on a ball, Ben Wallace and his type may be in for a surprise. I don't know of anyone who fought harder under the basket than Moses. Jones and McHale have great length and were always tough to shoot against--one reason they racked up so many all-NBA team defense accolades. And don't worry about Moses getting into foul trouble--as I already pointed out, he holds the NBA record for most games played in a row without fouling out. Murphy, Zeke, and Greer were fast, quick, tenaciuos defenders and will make life hard for the other team's guards. English, Harden, and Sikma were not great man defenders, but play well in a team defense context. Sikma was actually quite a good help defender, and his length is problematic for the opponent.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
Owly
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,023

Post#549 » by Owly » Fri Apr 3, 2015 11:03 pm

Big picture vision/priorities for the team in no particular order (some overlap, I’ll tend to highlight the first 3 or 4 because the rest are boxscore obvious and/or already covered)

- Spacing: Can the frontline hit from 15-20 feet out? Can the guards hit the three? Then we can pull your defensive anchors out of the post, play mismatches (because no one “needs” to be in the post) and punish double teams.

- Passing: Of course we can only punish double teams if our players can pass well (see also avoiding turnovers-errors). I’ve sought to find players that are capable and willing passers. This also helps keep everyone happy.

- Defense: I didn’t necessarily target full on defensive anchors, but looked for each man to be able to guard his man at least adequately, and for the most part well, and there’s enough flexibility-versatility that we’re fine on switches, then that mitigates a bit of the need for “anchor” help defenders, though I’ve hardly abandoned shot blocking and charge taking helps here too.

- Low mistakes: I don’t want players who turn the ball over a lot, miss a lot, or amass cheap fouls. The benefits are obvious but extra possessions also means extra shots, which can’t be bad for morale.

- The skills requisite to play off the ball: Now this isn’t necessarily, are they are renowned off the ball player, because for the Jazz it made a lot of sense to have the ball in Karl Malone’s hands quite often. But do they have a good BBIQ, are they athletic/agile, do they set good screens.

- Two way: Sort of implicit in the above, but 1 way players will tend to compromise spacing and leave you playing 4 on 5 or offer an attack point to consistently scramble your defense. As such I sought players at least average on both ends.

There’s only one player with whom I think really misses the mark on my principles (obviously sometimes guys are only going to be average-ish). Kemp picks up cheap fouls and turns the ball over a lot without a great deal of passing. At that point looking at bigs I knew I’d have to accept below average in one of these areas (Brad Miller for instance would be in defense, ditto Daugherty had I went for him earlier, there are some undrafted bigs that didn’t meet all the criteria and would have been too small to play alongside Nance), still Kemp fits with spacing, offers and agile and versatile defender, can play off the ball (including elite offensive rebounding, court running and of course the alley oops) and play both ends. At the point in the draft he was taken, Kemp hit enough (most) of my requisites and represented excellent talent.

Okay to the team

Bob Lanier
74-76
His shooting - Lanier will stretch the floor and pull rival pivots out of the post. He’s a 79% FT shooter over the span selected, and it’s not difficult to find allusion to him a premier big man shooter, it’s in every bio but for instance (from the time) ...
Ebony, Jan 1978 wrote: [of Jim Chones] in fact he has a shooting range that comes close to Bob McAdoo’s and Bob Lanier’s

Complete Handbook of Pro Basketball 1975 wrote:Bob Lanier is probably the best outside shooting center in the NBA

His defense – For the spell in question Lanier was a defensive anchor, leading the league in defensive rating in ’74.
Reviews on D
The 1975 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1974 wrote:Lanier is the big difference. He played only when in the mood before last season [i.e. before 73-74 campaign]. He concentrated more on stopping other teams from penetrating and fourth in blocked shots with 247.

[individual bio]
Called "Moses" by his teammates ... For leading them out of the wilderness ...... trimmer last season ...... Defense was his biggest improvement

The 1977 Pro Basketball Handbook from 1976 wrote:Depending on who's in there, the Pistons can make you work. When one of the "whos" is either Trapp or Howard Porter, the opponents can relax a bit. But Rowe, Ford, Mengelt, Kevin Porter, Money and Lanier will get down and play some defense. Lanier, in fact often surprises people by jumping out to pick up guards or forwards. He also clogs the middle nicely.
[individual bio]
Has become a very intimidating defensive player who, like Dave Cowens, is not afraid to switch out on unsuspecting forwards and guards.

As I recall, in ’73 he lost some weight, worked out with Russell and came back a defensive force.

His passing – A 17.5 assist percentage for the span selected indicates a good/willing passer in a big. Suffice it to say Lanier can play the high or low post and create for others.

My massive pro-Lanier arguments from the top 100 thread below, not all absolutely pertinent (comparisons to Elvin Hayes, weird PER and WS/48 metrics but per minute and with a high bar called Wins Above Good).

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1359006&p=41877452#p41877639
TL;DR His numbers aren’t too far off those of a prime Jabbar during this span (and without McAdoo’s bad non-boxscore D), his team clearly missed him in ’76, ’77 and ’78 when he was out, he was an agile and effective defender. Oh and there’s a lot of focus on D here, but Lanier could pummel players down in the post on offense too.

Karl Malone
96-98
Passing – 22 assist percentage, superb for a big man, and with low turnovers for a player with such a large shot creation (both for self and others, and with a consistent double team burden).
Floor spacing – Malone jacked up his fg% in 97 and 98 despite going to his midrange fadeaway more often.
Defense – Not a shotblocker but a well regarded post defender agile enough to cover pick and rolls well and defend out on perimeter where necessary (see below and accolades).
As a treat here’s Karl Malone’s profile from after the ’96 campaign (the worst of the three selected)
Rick Barry’s Pro Basketball Bible 96-97 wrote:Season Summary
The amazing Malone keeps on trucking, maintaining his remarkable pace – a level of consistent productivity that is unmatched by any active NBA player ... Some significant numbers: Scored 25 or more points for the ninth consecutive year (25.7, 4th in the league)... Averaged 9.9 rebounds; he’s never accumulated less than 8.9 – in his rookie year... Handed out a career-best 4.2 assists... Shot 51.9%, the ninth time he’s been over the 50% mark in an 11-year career... And by season’s end, this 33-year old had his consecutive game streak extend to 385 – registering double figures in every one of those games.
His Game
Long considered strictly a power player— and he’s firmly established as one of the league’s premier post-up threats – in recent years, Malone has taken his game outside, even to the three-point line (an impressive 40% last year)... Gets lots of jumpers off the pick-and-pop, which he executes as well as any forward in the league... And from the top of the key, he loves to drive, invariably to his right... Still, his game is more inside-out than vice-versa... Double-teamed and even triple teamed every night (an on virtually every possession), he nevertheless manages to slice through the traps, absorb the contact, and make the shot, often getting fouled in the process... Alternatively, he’ll beat the 2-team with his expert passes to spotted-up jump shooters or diving cutters; he’s a much underrated passer (registered his first triple double last year 27 points, 15 rebounds, and 10 assists vs. the Clippers)... Defensively, he often doesn’t get his due... Has perfected the strip on-the-way-up (averaged 1.7 steals) and is also an excellent post defender, willing to bang and capable of moving his feet... He also does a nice job of defending the pick-and-roll, diligently hedging and even willing to chase the little guys when they try to turn the corner... About the only criticism you can make of Malone’s game is an obvious one: in the post-season, he couldn’t make a foul shot, disconnecting on a hard-to-explain 57.4%, compared to 72.3% in the regular season (suggestion: try the underhand method. Co-author Baryy, the second greatest foul-shooter in NBA history and a master of the technique, always available for lessons).
His Attitude
By his sheer will to win, the emotional leader of the Jazz... Takes a beating every night (and gives one too), produces big numbers more regularly than anybody, but in 11 years has missed four, count ‘em, four games... In a word: phenomenal.
Needs to Work On
Foul shooting
Where he’s Headed
The Hall of Fame in the long term and for the near term, same old same old: another 25-(points-and-10(rebounds) year.
In a Nutshell
If there’s any justice in the world, he and his long-time running mate, John Stockton, will get at least one crack at the NBA title before they retire... Nobody is more deserving.

TL;DR I didn't just get a great scorer, I got a top notch passer, a good pick and pop shooter, a gritty post defender and mobile pick and roll coverer.

Grant Hill
97-99
Passing – Obvious. Point forward. Lower-middle class man’s LeBron.
Defense – Elite. Made his living primarily off his D after injuries ravaged his body. Here’s a review on his D after the ’96 campaign. He got even better the next year.
Rick Barry’s Pro Basketball Bible 96-97 wrote:But beyond his offense, what makes Hill special, a quality that also distinguishes two players he’s often compared to – Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen – is that he plays both ends: He’s a great defender... His defensive resume includes his versatility (can cover 1s, 2s, 3s and even 4s), ability to play the passing lanes (1.3 steals), size (he’s hard to shoot over), and his willingness to front the post (lots of deflections)

Spacing/Shooting: A relative weakness, though his explosive first step means both that he often doesn’t need it and guarantees him decent airspace.

Vince Carter
Spacing/Shooting- A 40% 3 point shooter during the span selected with a fair proportion of those shots off the bounce with aggressive defensive coverage.
Passing - 3.9apg, 19.9 assist percentage and just 8.9 turnover percentage (albeit that is helped by a high usage, but the point is low mistakes, high creation)
Defense – Strong and (of course) a superb leaper, and solid footwork though lacking elite lateral mobility, my impression of Vince’s D for the span selected is roughly average, perhaps slightly above. The main point here is his capacity for upside when he isn’t being asked to carry quite such a heavy load (He “came into the league playing solid defense, a definite rarity” [Lindy’s 99-00 preview) and has been solid at the end of his career, see for instance: http://grantland.com/features/the-case- ... ing-right/ so I figure he can be better at his peak when he can combine energy/focus, athleticism and a little experience).

Chris Paul
08-? (is ‘10 so injured as to require use of ‘11? Sufficiently injured to allow it? I’ll use 08-10 numbers now just because it’s easiest, 11 would be preferable because his D is back at elite levels, though it makes his bkb-ref numbers harder to calculate and very slightly hurts those numbers because it’s weighing a full season at not quite 08-09 levels rather than 45 games)

Passing: Assist percentage 51.6, turnover percentage 12.9. Assist/Turnover ratio 4.165441176. Don’t know where to get multi-year pure point stuff. Needless to say, off the charts.
Defense: The games pre-eminent defensive point guard (see for instance recent articles about how great his D is).
Shooting/spacing: 37.7% from three with significant numbers of those off the bounce, with high defensive attention and limited time.

Coach Bird I covered when I selected him.

Okay these are getting shorter because I’ve already spent too much time on this. Will maybe enhance and add detail for my second 5 when desired / when I get a chance. Or wait until matchups are done for further details. I’ll give years and maybe quick notes now.

Kemp 94-96: Big, versatile, athletic defender. Superb rebounder. A better floor spacer than you may think.

Nance 91-93: Chose this version over earlier similarly productive models for spacing (had a deadly 18 footer at this point), lower mistakes and supreme shot blocking.

Marques Johnson 79-81: Some point forward tendencies (though not fully in that role until final of the three year span), superb offensive rebounder at the SF, low mistake player. Like Malone chips in across the boxscore.

Eddie Jones 99-01: Agile, long, athletic wing defender will generate steals and block and contest shots. Will be even better when allowed primarily to focus on that (may see significant time with “first unit”). Fares well in Across the Court’s RAPM for ’99 and ’00. Another low mistake player. Good shooter (and as shown later in career, better when not a primary focus of defensive attentions, lockout year also hurt everyone’s percentages)

Terrell Brandon 96-98: Similar to Paul, minimizes turnovers, an accurate shooter despite defences focused on him. Very quick though a little undersized. Slow pace deflates his raw numbers. Hollinger made strong claims on his offensive impact in ’02 though I’d have to compare with other WoWY numbers and understand them better, in any case he carried a crummy offensive cast in slow down system to a fourth seed.
Owly
Lead Assistant

Post#550 » by Owly » Fri Apr 3, 2015 11:30 pm

The Teams (in one place, so someone can judge them) not necessarily arranged as players intended, just as done by me, with higher drafted players typically amongst the first five. This is based on 3 year peaks (consecutive, Yao-esque 48 game seasons are considered as pro-rated 82 game seasons, major injuries allow for a one year exception)

SkyHookFTW
Moses Malone
Kevin McHale
Bobby Jones
James Harden
Isiah Thomas

Jack Sikma
Billy Cunningham
Alex English
Hal Greer
Calvin Murphy

Coach: Billy Cunningham

trex_8063
David Robinson
Horace Grant
Rick Barry
George Gervin
Chauncey Billups

Kevin Willis
Dave Cowens
Bruce Bowen
Danny Green
Terry Porter

Coach: Bill Sharman

Quotatious
Ben Wallace
Kevin Garnett
Predrag Stojakovic
Clyde Drexler
Kevin Johnson

Brad Daugherty
Clifford Robinson
Tayshaun Prince
Hersey Hawkins
Michael Cooper

Coach: Rick Adelman

HeartBreakKidd
Arvydas Sabonis
Bob Pettit
Julius Erving
Tracy McGrady
Mike Conley

George Mikan
Charles Oakley
Paul Arizin
Byron Scott
Damian Lillard

Coach: Red Holzman

RevisIsland
Artis Gilmore
Pau Gasol
Kevin Durant
Kawhi Leonard
Gary Payton

Wes Unseld
Blake Griffin
Paul George
Raja Bell
Kyrie Irving

Coach: Mike Budenholzer

giordunk
Nate Thurmond
Chris Webber
Carmelo Anthony
Dwyane Wade
John Stockton

Joakim Noah
Gerald Wallace
Shane Battier
Klay Thompson
Allen Iverson

Coach: Chuck Daly

Jaivl
Dikembe Mutombo
Dirk Nowitzki
Luol Deng
Manu Ginobili
Mookie Blaylock

Bill Laimbeer
Nene
Danny Granger
Tony Allen
Russell Westbrook

Coach: Rick Carlisle

poopdamoop
Alonzo Mourning
Al Horford
Elgin Baylor
Sidney Moncrief
Jerry West

Yao Ming
Buck Williams
Chris Mullin
Dan Majerle
Deron Williams

Coach: Tom Thibodeau

thizznation
Patrick Ewing
Bob McAdoo
Andrei Kirilenko
Ray Allen
Tim Hardaway

Marcus Camby
Otis Thorpe
Lamar Odom
Dale Ellis
Baron Davis

Coach: Larry Brown

Dr Spaceman

Amar'e Stoudemire
Dennis Rodman
Andre Iguodala
Jeff Hornacek
Steve Nash

Tyson Chandler
LaMarcus Aldridge
James Worthy
Doug Christie
Goran Dragic

Coach: George Karl

lilroddyb
Marc Gasol
Anthony Davis
Shawn Marion
Mitch Richmond
Penny Hardaway

Vlade Divac
Elton Brand
Robert Horry
Brandon Roy
Sam Cassell

Coach: Rudy Tomjanovich

Warspite
Bill Walton
Kevin Love
John Havlicek
Joe Dumars
Walt Frazier

Mel Daniels
Detlef Schrempf
Bernard King
Louie Dampier
Maurice Cheeks

Coach: Tom Izzo

owly

Bob Lanier
Karl Malone
Grant Hill
Vince Carter
Chris Paul

Shawn Kemp
Larry Nance
Marques Johnson
Eddie Jones
Terrell Brandon

Coach: Larry Bird

RSCD3_
Dwight Howard
Chris Bosh
Paul Pierce
Reggie Miller
Mark Price

Brad Miller
Serge Ibaka
Gordon Hayward
Kyle Korver
Gilbert Arenas

Coach: Stan Van Gundy

parsnips33

Willis Reed
Charles Barkley
Ron Artest
Glen Rice
Jason Kidd

Theo Ratliff
Jermaine O'Neal
Dominique Wilkins
Latrell Sprewell
Mike Bibby

Coach: Jerry Sloan

JeepCSC
Robert Parish
Rasheed Wallace
Scottie Pippen
David Thompson
Steph Curry

Ralph Sampson
Dave DeBusschere
Connie Hawkins
Dennis Johnson
Tony Parker

Coach: Tex Winter
Owly
Lead Assistant

Post#551 » by Owly » Fri Apr 3, 2015 11:49 pm

Since this was started on the PC board I'm asking penbeast to look at the lineups above and give us a blind seeding
penbeast0 wrote:[a pretend quote to get your attention] Hello.

The below is the PM sent
Would it be possible for you to check out this thread
viewtopic.php?f=336&t=1373221&start=540
check out the teams, seed them 1-16 and then match them up 1-16, 2-15 ...

Some have suggested ideally that the actual seedings (numbers) aren't given, though tbh it doesn't really matter, you're doing us a favour if you do this anyway so nobody can complain.

Thanks in advance, totally understand if not possible

If anyone feels this is overstepping things, that we should wait for everyone to post pre-seeding write ups, that we need multiple seeding judges or whatever fine, just say below and let penbeast know so he isn't wasting his time (if he's willing to do this).

Thanks.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,747

Post#552 » by penbeast0 » Fri Apr 3, 2015 11:58 pm

I will seed them if you wish, but am not going to read 29 pages of new thread, lol. Can you make a separate thread with nothing but the lineups and writeup . . . no questions, no followup, just 1 writeup per team (whoever starts it can cut and paste them from here if teams don't post their own).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#553 » by Dr Spaceman » Sat Apr 4, 2015 12:41 am

penbeast0 wrote:I will seed them if you wish, but am not going to read 29 pages of new thread, lol. Can you make a separate thread with nothing but the lineups and writeup . . . no questions, no followup, just 1 writeup per team (whoever starts it can cut and paste them from here if teams don't post their own).

All the write ups are in the last 2 pages
JeepCSC
Starter

Post#554 » by JeepCSC » Sat Apr 4, 2015 2:06 am

Thanks for any help.
thizznation
Starter

Post#555 » by thizznation » Sat Apr 4, 2015 2:59 am

penbeast0 wrote:I will seed them if you wish, but am not going to read 29 pages of new thread, lol. Can you make a separate thread with nothing but the lineups and writeup . . . no questions, no followup, just 1 writeup per team (whoever starts it can cut and paste them from here if teams don't post their own).

Hmmm, how about after all of the teams finish their write ups, they can send you a private message with both their team roster and write up. I think that will be easier on your part rather than you fishing around the thread for each individual write up. (The length of all of the write ups together will be multiple forum pages long.)

Thank you for any help you can give btw, much appreciated. :)
JeepCSC
Starter

Post#556 » by JeepCSC » Sat Apr 4, 2015 3:12 am

We do need some sort of deadline now. It's a holiday weekend, but hopefully by Monday evening we should have everyone's roster with at least a few words about something.
penbeast0
And1: 8,747

Post#557 » by penbeast0 » Sat Apr 4, 2015 3:20 am

PMs would work . . . and it's just seeding, a good game plan and matchups can make all the difference. Like the Spurs . . .
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#558 » by Warspite » Sat Apr 4, 2015 6:27 am

starting lineup
PG Frasier
SG Dumars
SF King
PF Love
C Walton

Bench
Cheeks, Hondo, Schrempf, Mel Daniels, Louie Dampier

Coach Tom Izzo

Offense:
King is #1 option in the low post with Love and Dumars on the outside and Walton in the high post/elbow. Other plays will be using Dumars and Hondo much like Rip Hamilton having them come off screens for curls and having Frasier play pick and pop/roll with Walton/Schrempf/Love/Daniels.

Defense:
Frasier/Dumars is the best defensive backcourt if not the best overall. Cheeks and Hondo will back them up so there isn't much drop off. Walton/Daniels are the rim protectors while Love provides rebounding.

Hanging our hat on defense, guard play and clutchness. I can put a lineup on the court in which every player is a FMVP. Frazier/Dumars/Hondo/Daniels/Walton. No my team is not 3pt dependent and with Frasier, Dumars, Walton and Hondo I get great passing to find more quality looks. I think my fast break will also be very effective with Walton/Love outlet passing to start the break or find early offense.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#559 » by Dr Spaceman » Mon Apr 6, 2015 12:48 am

So are we PM'ing these to Beast? How do we move forward now?
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,288

Post#560 » by lilroddyb » Mon Apr 6, 2015 1:32 am

Sorry guys for late response

Team

Marc Gasol / Vlade Divac
Anthony Davis / Elton Brand
Shawn Marion / Robert Horry
Mitch Richmond / Brandon Roy
Anfernee Hardaway / Sam Casell

Offense:
Penny, Mitch and Anthony will be the main scorers and they can create for themselves. Brandon Roy and Elton Brand will be the sixth/ seventh man off the bench and Horry and Cassell spacing the floor with their clutch shoots. Marc and Vlade will be in the same role: spacing the floor and passing the ball.

the offense will be balanced. With Anfernee at pointguard he has lots of options: slashing and 3pt shooting in Mitch Richmond ( who michael jordan has said was one of the most difficult to defend), shawn Marion spaces the floor a bit and good with his floaters, putbacks and lops. Anthony Davis is an excellent scorer and scores very efficiently, through putpacks, midrange shot and he can create for himself. Then Marc Gasol spreads the floor and is a great passer

Modern basketball is all about spacing. If you lack spacing it can be easy to defend so I tried to have at least decent shooters at every position

Spacing 3pt %: penny is about 36 - 40 %, mitch richmond is around 40 % Shawn Marion is decent, in 2005 he was actually shooting a little bit over 40% in the playoffs, So all of them are good/decent 3pt shooters. Sam Cassell and Robert Horry are good 3pt shooters coming of the bench.

Everyone else on this team are good midrange shooters.

Defense:
The team has an excellent length and few players who can guard different positions so this team should be good at playing zone defense.

Marc Gasol is a rimprotector and was a defensive player of the year.

Then I have Versatile defenders who can guard few positions
Anthony Davis is great shotblocker and quick enough to guard several postitions for short stretches.
Shawn Marion is really strong and long, can guard several positions. From pointguards to power forwards
Anfernee Hardaway is big for a pointguard he is maybe not the best defender but so he should be able to guard from pointguards to sf

Mitch Richmond is a decent defender.

the bench also has some solid defenders like Vlade Divac who has excellent rapm stats and Elton Brand

Penny and Anthony are both low on turnovers so it should help be reducing the fastbreak points from my opponents

I might edit this later.

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leagues