FFDL - Can skipped draft picks be used later?

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky, sly

Can skipped picks used late?

Yes. (just like being late)
40%
No.
60%

Total votes: 10

theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

FFDL - Can skipped draft picks be used later? 

Post#1 » by theman » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:50 am

If someone allows there pick to be skipped can they later use the pick in that same draft or possibly trade it?
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Re: FFDL - Can skipped draft picks be used later? 

Post#2 » by floppymoose » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:07 am

I voted yes. But I do think if you say you are forfeiting, that you can't use the pick after that.

"Skip" is probably a poor verb. It's nebulous between "picking later" and "forfeiting". My thought would be:
if you say nothing, you are late and can pick whenever (like, you lost internet, etc).
if you say something, it needs to be clear that you intend to pick later.
otherwise it's a forfeit.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,232

Post#3 » by eyeatoma » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:10 am

floppymoose wrote:I voted yes. But I do think if you say you are forfeiting, that you can't use the pick after that.

"Skip" is probably a poor verb. It's nebulous between "picking later" and "forfeiting". My thought would be:
if you say nothing, you are late and can pick whenever (like, you lost internet, etc).
But when will you pick? Why should you be allowed to go ahead of someone. In this day and age I don't see how you can't make a pick in 12 hours. If you're off the grid make a queue or send a list to the commissioner.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#4 » by floppymoose » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:56 am

"Why should you be allowed to go ahead of someone."

Same reason as in the NFL Draft. You go ahead of someone because you had the right to.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#5 » by eyeatoma » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:05 am

floppymoose wrote:"Why should you be allowed to go ahead of someone."

Same reason as in the NFL Draft. You go ahead of someone because you had the right to.
But this is the NBA draft, my point in the previous thread is that it shouldn't be allowed. This is an NBA fantasy league. I'm fine with it if it's the majority but sounds like this was never voted on.
theman
RealGM

Post#6 » by theman » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:41 am

eyeatoma wrote:

But this is the NBA draft, my point in the previous thread is that it shouldn't be allowed. This is an NBA fantasy league. I'm fine with it if it's the majority but sounds like this was never voted on.

You keep saying that. Can you show me the NBA rule? I have looked and can not find it. But I would assume it is the same as the NFL.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#7 » by eyeatoma » Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:07 pm

theman wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

You keep saying that. Can you show me the NBA rule? I have looked and can not find it. But I would assume it is the same as the NFL.

I don't see an NBA rule, but I don't think it exists. Just because it exists in the NFL, doesn't mean it does in the NBA. I'll look as well, but from my 20 years of following the NBA I've never heard of it.

Edit:

There are obviously cases of picks being forfeited in the NBA draft, when they violate rules like in free agency.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/2022-nba-draft-picks-heat-bucks-rules/jr5wu2hkowgrs3n4azf9ao0p

But I've searched and can't find an instance where the pick was skipped. I did find it in the NFL, and again I think it's only for that league.
theman
RealGM

Post#8 » by theman » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:00 pm

Those picks were taken away as punishment. It is nothing like what happens here.

There is no way that if a team is late with a pick in the NBA they would lose their pick. It doesn't happen in the NBA because picks are some what valuable and rosters can exceed the limit until training camp. If we wanted to do our draft in June and cut down to 15 players in October then everyone would use all their pick immediately. But I am not going to do that.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#9 » by eyeatoma » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:05 pm

theman wrote:Those picks were taken away as punishment. It is nothing like what happens here.

There is no way that if a team is late with a pick in the NBA they would lose their pick. It doesn't happen in the NBA because picks are some what valuable and rosters can exceed the limit until training camp. If we wanted to do our draft in June and cut down to 15 players in October then everyone would use all their pick immediately. But I am not going to do that.

By no means was I ever suggesting that they lose their pick

I brought up the forgeited picks just to show what has happened in previous NBA drafts, not suggesting that they lose their pick. All I did was agree with Sabonis that it doesn't seem fair that you can skip your pick, and then jump back in line whenever you feel like you can. If we're looking at precedent it's never happened in the NBA, or not from what you or I have been able to find.

I don't want anyone losing their pick, I just think if they do that, then they should be dropped to the bottom of that round or something.

Either way I'm just supporting what Sabonis said. Let the poll ultimately decide.
theman
RealGM

Post#10 » by theman » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:54 pm

Looks like most people don't care but the Yeses have it. The pick stands.
sabonis
Analyst
And1: 340

Post#11 » by sabonis » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:57 pm

I just got online and voted it seems no's have it
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#12 » by hamncheese » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:07 pm

I voted no. But that's specific to someone declaring their pick is forfeited. If a person is skipped because they were late, then can make their pick. If they want to trade it, they should make a selection and then make a trade.

It's like once you drop a player, you can't trade the player. If you have given up a pick, you can't trade it.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
sabonis
Analyst

Post#13 » by sabonis » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:03 pm

hamncheese wrote:I voted no. But that's specific to someone declaring their pick is forfeited. If a person is skipped because they were late, then can make their pick. If they want to trade it, they should make a selection and then make a trade.

It's like once you drop a player, you can't trade the player. If you have given up a pick, you can't trade it.

This is my understanding/view as well.
sabonis
Analyst

Post#14 » by sabonis » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:57 pm

floppymoose wrote:I voted yes. But I do think if you say you are forfeiting, that you can't use the pick after that.

and even if floppy voted yes, his vote is actually a "no" because he says "But I do think if you say you are forfeiting, that you can't use the pick after that. "
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,314

Post#15 » by insfo » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:21 pm

I don’t think that will work. If we go by that definition difference, why would anyone say they are forfeiting? Everyone will say skip me, in the hope that someone further down the line drops a player they want.

I know I suggested the 12 hours to pick + additional 12 hours before forfeiting option before, but that will still run into the “cutting the line” feeling that has been expressed her. If the original owner of the pick is the one picking late(r) I doubt anyone will have an issue. It’s only when it’s traded. So here is a suggestion, if the trade can be executed within theb12 hour limit, the new owner of the pick can make it immediately. If the trade is done after the 12 hours are up, it should be with the understanding that the pick can be made at the end of the draft, but before FA.
GrapeApe
Pro Prospect
And1: 14

Post#16 » by GrapeApe » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:08 pm

I think what people are forgetting is the draft is supposed to help bad teams get better. If a bad team can not use a pick later that hampers the bad teams ability to get better. I think people are over looking that. I think people are looking at this one case and think the new guy has a strong team and does not want him picking up a certain player they see as valuable. But ironically, that player would, presumably, be going to the defending champion.
sabonis
Analyst

Post#17 » by sabonis » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:37 pm

GrapeApe wrote:I think what people are forgetting is the draft is supposed to help bad teams get better. If a bad team can not use a pick later that hampers the bad teams ability to get better. I think people are over looking that. I think people are looking at this one case and think the new guy has a strong team and does not want him picking up a certain player they see as valuable. But ironically, that player would, presumably, be going to the defending champion.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the votes IMHO. People are voting by their principles. Because a forfeited pick can not be used later, like a dropped player can not be traded later.
theman
RealGM

Post#18 » by theman » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:09 pm

The trade and draft has been over turned. The roster has been restored

Going forward. Any team that does not make their pick in the 12 hours allotted will lose their pick.

Also, teams that appear on the naughty list too often will be pushed to the end of the draft order regardless of lottery outcome.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#19 » by floppymoose » Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:39 am

sabonis wrote:

and even if floppy voted yes, his vote is actually a "no" because he says "But I do think if you say you are forfeiting, that you can't use the pick after that. "

My vote is yes. The word forfeit is not in the poll question.

Return to Fantasy Basketball Leagues