US Open 2012

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Re: US Open 2012 

Post#121 » by va-mos » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:30 am

Ilmago_Bargs7 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
va-mos wrote:And next year Nadal will be defending a Wimbledon 2nd Round, and nothing at the US Open, so I'm thinking a 103rd week at Number One is very likely for Nadal.

Really, the fact that he accomplished nothing for two tournaments is the reason why you think he'll get back to #1?

I understand the idea that when you have to defend less point, that means your ranking is likely to go up, but y'know that doesn't actually help you reach the heights you weren't hitting before right?

That said, yeah, I won't be surprised if Rafa spends some more time at #1.

not only because he will gain tons of points, but also its likely to see Federer declining.. Djokovic seems to have lost some confidence, and i guess Murray will have a lot of pressure defending his points..

Exactly. Djokovic needed to keep his foot on Nadal's throat. Instead Djokovic lost 3 in a row to Nadal, including the one slam he needed the most. True, Murray has made the semis of AO and RG, and final of Wimbledon and won USO. Murray won't be accustomed to defending that much. Then again, Murray might go up another notch now that he's got the monkey off his back. We'll see. Either way, Murray might have to play Nadal at the AO, Wimbledon or USO. That's a variable Murray didn't have to worry about in 2012.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#122 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:40 pm

va-mos wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
va-mos wrote:And next year Nadal will be defending a Wimbledon 2nd Round, and nothing at the US Open, so I'm thinking a 103rd week at Number One is very likely for Nadal.

Really, the fact that he accomplished nothing for two tournaments is the reason why you think he'll get back to #1?

I understand the idea that when you have to defend less point, that means your ranking is likely to go up, but y'know that doesn't actually help you reach the heights you weren't hitting before right?

That said, yeah, I won't be surprised if Rafa spends some more time at #1.

The fact Djokovic was able to win the AO this year, make the final of Roland Garros, semi of Wimbledon, final of US Open, and still lose the number one ranking.....says it all. The fact Serena just won Wimbledon and the US Open, yet still ranked number 4.....says it all. Good luck to Murray/Djokovic/Federer in holding off Nadal next year. Not many profits to be had for those 3 in 2013.

Prior to Wimbledon, Nadal ONLY made 8 of 9 slams finals (and won 5 of them), and 2012 Roland Garros was most the impressive (apart from 2010 US Open maybe). So, based on his 2012 form prior to Wimbledon, of course he will reach the heights of the last 2 years. You don't suddenly lose your tennis skills just because of Hoffa syndrome (a condition whereby the fat behind the knee is pinched between 2 bones), and is cured with rest.

So without Hoffa syndrome, there is no physical question-mark. In fact, Nadal has said he is encouraged that tendinitis is no longer a big issue, thanks to his treatment since 2009. Team Nadal had originally thought he had tenditis in 2012, until they discovered it was the very rare (yet very basic) Hoffa syndrome. And mentally, Nadal is more enthusiastic about tennis after an "off-year" as 2009 was, and now 2012. 2010 was his best year.

Whenever anything goes bad for Nadal it seems to trigger extreme motivation. After missing the 2012 Olympics, Nadal announced his main goal is to play the 2016 Olympics. Uncle Toni, sounds even more motivated, saying "Rafael will play the 2016 Olympics".

Anyway, Nadal isn't really relevant to this thread, so this is my final word on the Nadal situation. Murray's situation is interesting enough.

You just seem like a hype man to me when you respond to me like this.

Yeah, Rafa can be #1 again, but him missing the US Open has nothing to do with that. If he's going to be #1 in 2013, he'll be #1 because he was the best in 2013 which while it is in the realm of possibility, it didn't happen in 2011, and there were no obvious signs that it was happening in 2012.

And I know YOU thought you saw signs, but you were simply optimistic. You disagnosed Rafa "solving" Djokovic when it was obvious that Djokovic was simply playing a little shakier. You boldly proclaimed that no one would beat Djokovic after Rafa went down in Wimbledon, and instead he lost to Federer and then Murray in his two attempts to win on grass this year.

You just see everything through Rafa-tinted glasses dude.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#123 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Ilmago_Bargs7 wrote:not only because he will gain tons of points, but also its likely to see Federer declining.. Djokovic seems to have lost some confidence, and i guess Murray will have a lot of pressure defending his points..

No. Not "not only because", the answer is he has a reason for every reason given EXCEPT the point situation. The math here is beyond basic.

Now, when you say "pressure" defending points for Murray, there I can see that at least being a claim, but do you really think Murray feels pressure for that reason? I mean, which you think is a bigger deal, the pressure of trying to win your first major or the pressure of not dropping a bit in the rankings? I can't imagine it's even close.

va-mos
Banned User

Post#124 » by va-mos » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:46 am

Djokovic beat Federer EASILY in Roland Garros 2012 (6-4 7-5 6-3) and looked better than 2011 (when Federer won in 4 sets). I definitely underestimated the mental effect of Djokovic failing to win that 4th straight slam. Rafa-tinted glasses, "moderator"? Not sure what this has to do with Nadal.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#125 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:07 pm

va-mos wrote:Djokovic beat Federer EASILY in Roland Garros 2012 (6-4 7-5 6-3) and looked better than 2011 (when Federer won in 4 sets). I definitely underestimated the mental effect of Djokovic failing to win that 4th straight slam. Rafa-tinted glasses, "moderator"? Not sure what this has to do with Nadal.

Me being a mod doesn't mean I can't call it like I see it. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, same as any other poster.

Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,744

Post#126 » by Berserk_Raptor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:23 am

I heard somewhere that Nadal will be ready to play the majors and most important tournaments.. he'll try to skip some atp masters tours claimin a cronic injury w a medic certificate (so he wont lose points).. is this possible??

otoh, Murray will have pressure to win more GS if he wants to be there w Djoker.. my dark horse is Juan Martin, tho
@raptor21_85
va-mos
Banned User

Post#127 » by va-mos » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:27 am

Ilmago_Bargs7 wrote:I heard somewhere that Nadal will be ready to play the majors and most important tournaments.. he'll try to skip some atp masters tours claimin a cronic injury w a medic certificate (so he wont lose points).. is this possible??

otoh, Murray will have pressure to win more GS if he wants to be there w Djoker.. my dark horse is Juan Martin, tho

That is correct. All you need is a medical certificate. Considering Nadal suffers from chronic ailments, this is very easily done. I've also seen many players (including Federer/Djokovic) withdraw from events with "exhaustion", and that is legit too. And yes Nadal's team has said he will skip more events now to make sure he's ready for the slams. I hope he skips Indian Wells and Miami. They are hardcourt masters events which lead to nothing (they are after the Australian Open and before the clay season).

If this were 2009, he'd probably be playing every event right now regardless of pain. Uncle Toni said they have made the mistake in the past of using 'band-aid' fixes for his pain. Now they will rest him whenever there is a problem to make sure it doesn't escalate. So whenever you see Nadal from now on, he will be 100%. Won't play at 80%. Over the last 2 months, Nadal has said (twice) that his goal is the 2016 Olympics. Uncle Toni has even said "Rafael will play in the 2016 Olympics". Seems to be top priority.

I'm not sure what Murray's goals are. But he will try to win every slam he plays, like they all do. Murray lost to Nadal in 3 of the slams in 2011, so this will be an important rivalry for Murray if he wants more shots at the slams.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,472

Post#128 » by Slava » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:13 pm

Winning Wimbledon will likely be Murray's biggest priority now and that will add a ton to his legacy as a British player.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
va-mos
Banned User

Post#129 » by va-mos » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:55 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:Winning Wimbledon will likely be Murray's biggest priority now and that will add a ton to his legacy as a British player.

Murray had a very close 2nd set with Federer in the Wimbledon final. Not far from a 2 sets to love lead. It would be a moment unlike any other in 21st century tennis if Murray were to win Wimbledon.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,329

Post#130 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:I thought I heard a commentator say that Fed would end up #1 regardless of the finals outcome, though that may have been specifically referring to finals for Novak... ?

Not only is Fed staying number one, he has an even bigger lead now. Short of something huge happening, he'll coast all the way up to the WTF as the #1, and it's hard to imagine he'll fall below #2 after the WTF - it'd take a miracle for Murray to get passed the 3rd spot.

I think at the time I got #1 and POY mixed up in my head, but thanks for clarifying the #1 status.

One thing about Fed in this stage of his career is that the legendary consistency will diminish, more so than his skills. He'll be on a great streak and then get caught by other players more often.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 33,329

Post#131 » by G R E Y » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:30 pm

va-mos wrote:
Ilmago_Bargs7 wrote:I heard somewhere that Nadal will be ready to play the majors and most important tournaments.. he'll try to skip some atp masters tours claimin a cronic injury w a medic certificate (so he wont lose points).. is this possible??

That is correct. All you need is a medical certificate. Considering Nadal suffers from chronic ailments, this is very easily done. I've also seen many players (including Federer/Djokovic) withdraw from events with "exhaustion", and that is legit too. And yes Nadal's team has said he will skip more events now to make sure he's ready for the slams. I hope he skips Indian Wells and Miami. They are hardcourt masters events which lead to nothing (they are after the Australian Open and before the clay season).

If this were 2009, he'd probably be playing every event right now regardless of pain. Uncle Toni said they have made the mistake in the past of using 'band-aid' fixes for his pain. Now they will rest him whenever there is a problem to make sure it doesn't escalate. So whenever you see Nadal from now on, he will be 100%. Won't play at 80%. Over the last 2 months, Nadal has said (twice) that his goal is the 2016 Olympics. Uncle Toni has even said "Rafael will play in the 2016 Olympics". Seems to be top priority.

I'm not sure what Murray's goals are. But he will try to win every slam he plays, like they all do. Murray lost to Nadal in 3 of the slams in 2011, so this will be an important rivalry for Murray if he wants more shots at the slams.

But they'll have to into it surely if he keeps getting medical exemptions at the same time every year. I mean you've got to actually have something wrong with you, and if it happens to keep coming up in time for a lesser tournament, well that's not exactly legit or fair to other players. Players may use 'exhaustion' now and again, but they play most of the tournaments, no? If it hasn't already, it may split players into camps for or against Rafa's obvious strategy. More shots at slams, sure, but if others play more tournaments and still win while Rafa tries to circumvent that, well it's kind of hard to respect that. I'm sure he doesn't give a rip about my opinion or of other anonymous people for that matter, but his legacy may take a hit.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
va-mos
Banned User

Post#132 » by va-mos » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:05 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nadal-recu ... --ten.html

MADRID (Reuters) - Rafa Nadal's steady recuperation from a knee injury is proceeding according to plan and he is not going to rush back before it has healed properly, the world number four said.

In an interview with Reuters in Madrid, the 11-times grand slam singles champion said he was still feeling some pain in his left knee and would only return to the court when that was no longer the case.

"I am working as much as I can, I am doing everything they tell me to every day and the truth is that right now things are going well, more or less," the 26-year-old Spaniard said.

"The only thing is that I need bit more time," he added.

"We'll see how things develop in the next few weeks but my priority is to recover well, not quickly but well.

"Obviously as soon as possible but the main thing is to have the certainty that you are fine when you do return.

"I will return to the court when I feel that the knee no longer gives me any pain, whether that is in two weeks or in three or four."

Majorca-native Nadal has been sidelined several times by knee injuries during his 11-year career and his latest was diagnosed as a partial tear of the patella tendon and an inflammation of the Hoffa's fat pad.

The former number one has not played since suffering a shock second-round defeat to Czech Lukas Rosol at Wimbledon in June. He missed the Olympic Games after winning the title in 2008 and was forced to withdraw from the U.S. Open.

Nadal is having intense physiotherapy and laser treatment and Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz-Cotorro said on September 5 he could be back on court training within a month.

AGGRESSIVE, DEMANDING

"I think tennis is a very aggressive and demanding sport and obviously the knees suffer above all when you are playing on hard courts," Nadal said.

"On fast courts the movements are much more aggressive, when you are playing at your maximum you have to push your body to the limit.

"I have had problems with my knees, others have other problems.

"The reality is that at the age of 26 and after a career of more than 10 years, with very good results, it has been my good fortune that my knees have not prevented me competing at the highest level for many years.

"I hope that when I return they don't hinder me."

Nadal played some of his best tennis in the first half of the year, losing narrowly to Novak Djokovic in the final of the Australian Open and winning a record seventh Roland Garros title on his favored clay.

He said his goal was to get back to a similar level of fitness to allow him to go toe-to-toe with the game's best again.

"What I hope for is to be ready to compete again for everything I want to compete for, like I did in the first six months of the year," he said.

"That is what I will try to achieve, it's what I will fight for and work every day.

"I am 26 years old and I am confident I have plenty of years ahead. What I want is to recover well and to continue enjoying tennis and competition, which is what make me happy right now."

EXCLUSIVE CLUB

Nadal's Spain are chasing a fourth Davis Cup title in five years and play the Czech Republic in the November 16-18 final. He said he did not know whether he would have recovered in time to feature.

He has only lost one of 21 singles rubbers in the competition but 16 of those wins have come on clay and as the home team the Czechs are almost certain to select hard courts.

"If things go well and I can make the final and the captain thinks I am the right person to play it then I'll be there," he said. "If not, I'll be supporting the guys from afar."

Nadal has dominated the slams in recent years along with world number two Djokovic and number one Roger Federer but he said Andy Murray's U.S. Open win this month meant the Briton had finally joined their exclusive club.

Murray's victory against Federer at Wimbledon to win the Olympic gold had given him the extra confidence to see off Djokovic in New York, Nadal added.

"What has changed is his mentality," he said.

"His game has not changed practically at all but winning the Olympic Games helped him a lot with the victory in New York.

"Andy is a player with an impressive talent and I always said he would win a slam, not just one he'll win more than one."

Nadal spoke to Reuters at the launch of Rafa Dream Day for sponsors PokerStars (http://www.pokerstars.com) where fans can win the chance to meet him, play him at tennis and compete against him in a poker game in Majorca. The interview was conducted on September 17.

(Editing by Alison Wildey)
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#133 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:41 am

Hmm, I think some clarification is in order:

There are penalties for missing tournaments without cause, but it's pretty routine for players to miss these tournaments for legit reasons. Rafa's got legit reasons here certainly.

That said, if you don't play, you're clearly missing an opportunity to gain points. Nobody's going to pretend you won. :lol:

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#134 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:43 am

GREY 1769 wrote:I think at the time I got #1 and POY mixed up in my head, but thanks for clarifying the #1 status.

One thing about Fed in this stage of his career is that the legendary consistency will diminish, more so than his skills. He'll be on a great streak and then get caught by other players more often.

No doubt. This is actually the key observation about old player imho so I'm glad you made it. It's not that old guys can't play just as good as they used to on a given day, but they can't bring it every day.

This is I think demonstrated well in the difference between Federer's overall record back in his peak compared to today.

Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach

Post#135 » by Berserk_Raptor » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:31 pm

has there ever been a helluva player with these many injuries like Nadal? Maybe Sampras?
@raptor21_85
va-mos
Banned User

Post#136 » by va-mos » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:54 am

Ilmago_Bargs7 wrote:has there ever been a helluva player with these many injuries like Nadal? Maybe Sampras?

How about Scud? Scud has had something like 6 knee surgeries. Nadal hasn't EVER had a knee surgery. And Nadal has NEVER had a back problem.
Berserk_Raptor
Assistant Coach

Post#137 » by Berserk_Raptor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:33 am

on the women side.. I guess Kim Clijsters couldve won more if it wasnt for her injuries.. helluva player as well..
@raptor21_85
va-mos
Banned User

Post#138 » by va-mos » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Ilmago_Bargs7 wrote:on the women side.. I guess Kim Clijsters couldve won more if it wasnt for her injuries.. helluva player as well..

Probably.

Also Venus and to a lesser extent Serena, as they both have tendinitis (since they were teens). Although tendinitis is not serious (that's why Venus and Serena have outlasted their generation, and that's why Nadal has tied the all-time record for consecutive slam-winning years - 8 years in a row), just a constant nuisance.
ashleywilliam
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#139 » by ashleywilliam » Fri Nov 2, 2012 12:24 pm

Andy murrey is my favouritehe is very talented nd finally he collected his first Slam title.i think he deserve for u.s open title.

Return to General Other Sports Talk