Good articles on the slowing down of court surfaces

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,647

Good articles on the slowing down of court surfaces 

Post#1 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 pm

http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/20595

The slowing down of certain surfaces is hardly a new issue. For the past ten years, Wimbledon and other grass tournaments have all taken steps to reduce the speed of their courts. The ATP and WTA recognized the All England Club’s steps to slow down their treasured grass courts and followed suit, annexing the carpet surface to nothing but a memory of a distant past. None of the organizations have ever given a concrete reason for the dramatic change we have seen over the years and it has been left up to the masses to speculate

And it comes as no surprise that Novak Djokovic’s spectacular year – arguably one of the best and most consistent seasons in history – has come in 2011 as most major surfaces have become almost identical.

http://tennis.si.com/2011/11/10/the-tos ... =tn_bf2_a6

I definitely share your enthusiasm for baseline tennis and the positives that the slower courts bring. I can’t deny that, for me, the most uninteresting style of play is that of the tall, big servers who knock down aces at will. Thanks to racket technology in the last decade, the influence of that style on the ATP Tour in particular would be immeasurable had no action been taken. Thus, I accept that the governing bodies of tennis had to make some changes to the courts.

However, I can’t help but feel that without variety, tennis ceases to be tennis. I can’t think of another major sport that caters to so many different matchups and styles of play, with conditions that differ so dramatically from week to week and month to month. Golf may be tennis’ lone companion in this regard, but it obviously doesn’t have the same head-to-head format of tennis.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,164

Re: Good articles on the slowing down of court surfaces 

Post#2 » by therealbig3 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:34 am

I'm actually a fan of the tall, big servers that knock aces down at will...but that's probably just because I'm a dumb American :D

But yeah, that's very interesting stuff, it does kind of take away from the impressiveness imo of winning multiple GS titles across surfaces...the reason it's so tough is because the surfaces all offer something very unique, so if you want to win all the GS, you need to have a very versatile game...this kind of takes away from that, and makes it easier, in a sense, no? IMO, having radically different speeds means that players need to find a balance between power and finesse, rather than just extremes of one or the other.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,144

Re: Good articles on the slowing down of court surfaces 

Post#3 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Just got a new pair of shoes to add to the haul, so I thought I'd share.

Spent about 10 years putting all this together. Just wish I had more room. Most of it is stuck in my closet until I get a bigger place. Altogether I've got 46 of the Top 50, every MVP but Derrick Rose and a couple of the younger stars who have established themselves.

I'd love to see what anybody else has.

Pippen, James, Payton, Iverson

(Have about 20 more balls, but how exciting are those?)

Return to General Other Sports Talk