Australian Open 2012 (1/16 to 1/29)

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,470

Australian Open 2012 (1/16 to 1/29) 

Post#1 » by Slava » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Men's top 5 seeds:

1. Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
2. Rafael Nadal (Espana)
3. Roger Federer (Switzerland)
4. Andy Murray (Great Britain)
5. David Ferrer (Espana)

Notable missing players:

Robin Soderling
Marin Cilic

Women's top 5 seeds:

1. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark)
2. Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic)
3. Victoria Azarenka (Belarus)
4. Maria Sharapova (Russia)
5. Li Na (China)

Notable missing players:

Andrea Petkovic

Offical website: http://www.australianopen.com
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Australian Open 2012 (1/16 to 1/29) 

Post#2 » by Slava » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:58 pm

Other than the top seeds Tsonga is definitely the guy on the rise in the men's section and also I'm curious to see what Verdasco can do this time. He looked to be in tremendous physical shape in the Hopman cup against Hewitt and showed some great power hitting.

I got no clue on the women's game though, haven't followed in years and not interested this time either.
Windmill
Senior
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Windmill » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Venus Williams is out as well.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,521
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#4 » by SharoneWright » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Draw:

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/sco ... /r1s1.html

Looking forward to a Raonic appearance in the final! :wink:
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Myth111
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Myth111 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:40 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:Other than the top seeds Tsonga is definitely the guy on the rise in the men's section and also I'm curious to see what Verdasco can do this time. He looked to be in tremendous physical shape in the Hopman cup against Hewitt and showed some great power hitting.

I got no clue on the women's game though, haven't followed in years and not interested this time either.

Verdasco got a very tough draw and has to play Tomic in the first round. That will be the best match of the 1st round and I am really looking forward to it.
Myth111
Junior

Post#6 » by Myth111 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:42 pm

SharoneWright wrote:Draw:

I thought he had a chance to make some noise but I am very disappointed in how he played against Fish. He beat Fish both times last year pretty easily and then Fish crushed him this week. Makes no sense to me. I just hope he can reach the 3rd round.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#7 » by Marmoset » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:00 pm

Myth111 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Draw:

I thought he had a chance to make some noise but I am very disappointed in how he played against Fish. He beat Fish both times last year pretty easily and then Fish crushed him this week. Makes no sense to me. I just hope he can reach the 3rd round.

It was an exhibition. I'm still surprised by the result, but a lot of people know when things matter and when things don't. I'm not too worried.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,788

Post#8 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Good day, tennis board. The Bucks board here on RGM has had a tennis community for many years, with big threads for each of the slams. Our reign of terror has finally come to an end, as we've finally been booted in favor of the tennis board here :) I'm hoping that the rest of my Milwaukee and Australian cohorts will make the trip here, also.

I bring you the start of our thread for the 2012 AO.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#9 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Tennis fans: come one, come all. It's time once again for the first slam of the year, and a tennis fan's last real hope for watching major tennis until May. What better place for such a tournament than down under in Australia, land of the beloved Andrew Bogut 8-)

The RealGM Bucks board has had tennis threads dating back to 2005, so we are entering our seventh year. Unbelievable :D

This year's Australian Open is full of intrigue on the men's side. One year ago, Novak Djokovic began his transformation from one of the forgotten, written-off members of the "big four," to being not only a legitimate contender in the "big three," but the leading man. In fact, calling the members at the top of the men's game right now the big three might be generous. Djokovic faced off against Nadal in six finals last year. It's safe to say that Djokovic and Nadal defined 2011. They alone won the year's grand slam tournaments (all but one, Roland Garros, went to Djokovic), and they dominated the Masters series all season long. Calling them the "big two" might be more accurate. But one could go even a step further. In the six times Nadal and Djokovic met last season, Djokovic bested Nadal in every single one of them. It was a run unlike tennis has seen in around 30 years. While there have been many great seasons in that time - seasons of legend by Sampras, Federer, and Nadal - Djokovic dominated the season from beginning to end unlike anyone had seen in three or four generations of men's tennis. Nadal was a step behind Djokovic all season long, and Federer another step behind. Murray was all-but written off completely; the tennis world saying 'see ya again next year' yet again to the UK's biggest hope.

Djokovic's season was of legend, but he is yet to have the longevity in his career that would put him among the career greats. In the current generation, Federer and Nadal are clearly there. Arguably two of the greatest tennis players of all time, could we see the emergence of a third this year? Could we have three in the same generation? This tournament starts what could be that - the third legend. Can Djokovic do it? Will Nadal show resurgence? Or Federer? Is it Murray's time to break out with a retooled game? Will the next generation of stars start to make their mark? Undoubtedly, it's been a tremendous time to be a fan of men's tennis - a golden age even.

The same cannot be said for women's tennis. To be frank, the world of women's tennis is a mess. Former stars are aging, injured, throwing temper tantrums, and underperforming - here's looking at you Serena, Venus, Kim, Maria. Current-generation stars that were expected to break out never made the jump. Jankovic is more expected to lose in the first round than make a semifinal. Next generation stars, the ones many hope to carry the sport in the future, haven't been able to get over the hump. The biggest case in point here is Caroline Wozniacki. Her counterpunching style has kept her in matches and tournament from early on in her career, before she was able to fully develop the rest of her game, but she has never been able to get over the hump. As a result, recently it's looked like she doubted herself and has lost game mentally. Ask two years ago if Petra Kvitova, who has emerged as a respectful young talent in her own right, would win a slam before Wozniacki would? The answers would be a pretty unanimous 'no.'

30 year old, well past her prime Serena Williams still has to be thought of as a favorite here at the AO. But she was last year at the USO, as well, and she was upset by Aussie Sam Stosur in the final. Stosur hopes to carry USO momentum with her into Melbourne, where she is a home-country favorite, but she has struggled in warm-up tournaments. A few days ago, she was ousted in the first round of a tournament in Sydney, albeit to the respectable Schiavone. The world of women's tennis is anyone's for the taking at this point - it just needs something interesting to happen. An old star have a resurgence? Sure. Young star breaking out? Sounds good. Wild matches? Anything. There just needs to be some compelling story lines.

Links
TV Schedule
Full Seedings
Singles' Draw

Happy tennis!
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#10 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 pm

Hrmph, booted all the way over here huh?

Oh well, I hope Murray ships his 1st GS title or Del Potro finds his championship form. I like parity.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:42 pm

:(

Rooting for Rafa, as per usual.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Stopshere2
Head Coach
And1: 38

Post#12 » by Stopshere2 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:44 pm

Great OP on the Bucks board, MiG. A shame it was locked because it's always harder to remember to jump to another board to catch up on opinions (I never posted much at all). It's an old bugbear of mine but I don't get the locking of harmless, and soon-to-be-popular threads as if the Bucks board is overly cluttered or something.
Luckily, for the revenue department of the government, speed doesn't kill.
Myth111
Junior

Post#13 » by Myth111 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Stopshere2 wrote:Great OP on the Bucks board, MiG. A shame it was locked because it's always harder to remember to jump to another board to catch up on opinions (I never posted much at all). It's an old bugbear of mine but I don't get the locking of harmless, and soon-to-be-popular threads as if the Bucks board is overly cluttered or something.

They did the same thing to the Raptors board and I agree 100% that it is dumb. It is not the end of the world to have off-topic threads on team boards.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Stopshere2 wrote:Great OP on the Bucks board, MiG. A shame it was locked because it's always harder to remember to jump to another board to catch up on opinions (I never posted much at all). It's an old bugbear of mine but I don't get the locking of harmless, and soon-to-be-popular threads as if the Bucks board is overly cluttered or something.

I don't mind it, I just wish there was consistency. MMA/Tennis gets locked because of MMA/Tennis boards, so why doesn't college basketball get locked for the college basketball board, music/movies/tv/video games for media lounge, etc. No response despite multiple inquiries.

Oh well, I post here as well. Knowledgeable guys, for sure.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Myth111
Junior

Post#15 » by Myth111 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:21 am

I am cheering for Raonic but I am realistic and just hope he can make the 4th round. I will be cheering for Federer or Djokovic.

Anybody but Nadal! He is actually a pretty good guy but I want Federer to keep his record of career titles.
Myth111
Junior

Post#16 » by Myth111 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 am

WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#17 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 am

Wozniacki breaks through and wins. Djokovic repeats.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Slava » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:59 pm

Huh.. finally some activity around here.

Nadal and Federer have been drawn in the same side of the bracket since like forever.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#19 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:Wozniacki breaks through and wins. Djokovic repeats.

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Hrmph, booted all the way over here huh?
Oh well, I hope Murray ships his 1st GS title or Del Potro finds his championship form. I like parity.
REDDzone wrote::(
Rooting for Rafa, as per usual.

W00t. Glad you guys made the jump with me :D
Myth111
Junior

Post#20 » by Myth111 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:02 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:Huh.. finally some activity around here.

Nadal and Federer have been drawn in the same side of the bracket since like forever.

First time since 2005 French open.

Nadal actually called out Federer for not criticizing the tour schedule and letting other players deal with the push-back.

http://espn.go.com/tennis/aus12/story/_ ... -pollyanna

Return to General Other Sports Talk