Australian Open 2012 (1/16 to 1/29)

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

nadalwon2012
Junior
And1: 1

Re: Australian Open 2012 (1/16 to 1/29) 

Post#201 » by nadalwon2012 » Sun Feb 5, 2012 6:20 am

I was a Federer fan in 2003, but then switched to the Nadal camp by late 2003, because I realized Nadal's game was the way of the future. I was right. Plus, Nadal plays a more entertaining style of tennis. I was at Rod Laver Arena for the 2012 semi-final, and the wizardry of Nadal looked insane live. Federer looked rather plain by comparison, and it is true that Federer is using techniques from the book, which doesn't really shock the spectator.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#202 » by Marmoset » Thu Feb 9, 2012 4:08 am

nadalwon2012 wrote:I was a Federer fan in 2003, but then switched to the Nadal camp by late 2003, because I realized Nadal's game was the way of the future. I was right. Plus, Nadal plays a more entertaining style of tennis. I was at Rod Laver Arena for the 2012 semi-final, and the wizardry of Nadal looked insane live. Federer looked rather plain by comparison, and it is true that Federer is using techniques from the book, which doesn't really shock the spectator.

That's a very interesting and unusual opinion - I've never heard anyone say that before. Most people would take your quote and switch "Federer" and "Nadal" in most places. I agree with those people - I've never seen anyone make the shots that Federer can make, ever. But, I've never seen anyone make the shots Nadal can make either, just that I wouldn't describe it as wizardry as much as willpower and athleticism.

One item to add - Federer in 2012 is not Federer in 2003-2009. In the last couple of years he has definitely lost something. I wouldn't argue that Nadal isn't the better player right now, in 2012. Federer is clearly #3 at this point, which is nothing for him to be ashamed of because he is playing at a level very few players have at the age of 30.
nadalwon2012
Junior

Post#203 » by nadalwon2012 » Thu Feb 9, 2012 9:29 am

Marmoset wrote:
nadalwon2012 wrote:I was a Federer fan in 2003, but then switched to the Nadal camp by late 2003, because I realized Nadal's game was the way of the future. I was right. Plus, Nadal plays a more entertaining style of tennis. I was at Rod Laver Arena for the 2012 semi-final, and the wizardry of Nadal looked insane live. Federer looked rather plain by comparison, and it is true that Federer is using techniques from the book, which doesn't really shock the spectator.

That's a very interesting and unusual opinion - I've never heard anyone say that before. Most people would take your quote and switch "Federer" and "Nadal" in most places. I agree with those people - I've never seen anyone make the shots that Federer can make, ever. But, I've never seen anyone make the shots Nadal can make either, just that I wouldn't describe it as wizardry as much as willpower and athleticism.

One item to add - Federer in 2012 is not Federer in 2003-2009. In the last couple of years he has definitely lost something. I wouldn't argue that Nadal isn't the better player right now, in 2012. Federer is clearly #3 at this point, which is nothing for him to be ashamed of because he is playing at a level very few players have at the age of 30.

Before Federer lost to Nadal at the 2012 AO, Federer said that he is playing better than he has ever played. He had won 24 matches in a row. And the media referring to him as vintage Federer and full-flight etc. Most of the media predicted Federer would beat Nadal. The betting odds were all in favor of Federer too.

But even 17-year-old Nadal beat Federer on hardcourt. Nadal leads 5-1 vs Federer on outdoor hardcourts, and 2-0 now at the AO.

But Federer is playing at the highest level. Federer beat Djok at the 2011 French Open in 4 sets. Djok had not lost a match on clay in 2011 before that. Djok had won Belgrade, Rome and Madrid. And then Federer had matchpoints at the US Open for the 2nd straight year vs Djok. Federer won the last 4 events of 2011, including the indoor World Tour Finals.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,615

Post#204 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:00 am

You're pretty out there dude, but it's your right to enjoy the sport however you want. Cheers.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
nadalwon2012
Junior

Post#205 » by nadalwon2012 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:

You're pretty out there dude, but it's your right to enjoy the sport however you want. Cheers.

Thanks friend, but it's not me who's 'out there'.....rather the public. I observed the AO semi-final at Rod Laver Arena. For what its worth, Nadal had more crowd support than Federer, even when each player first walked out. I also noted that Nadal's shots inspired a greater crowd reaction. Whether that was just because Nadal has more fans in Australia, or because Nadal hit the more spectacular shots, I'll let you decide. Nadal also had more crowd support than Federer at 2008 Wimbledon. Whether that was because of Nadal being the underdog, I'm not sure. Nadal had more crowd support than Murray when they played at Wimbledon too (which I thought would be impossible).

Return to General Other Sports Talk