Where does Serena rank all time?

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Re: Where does Serena rank all time? 

Post#21 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:00 am

therealbig3 wrote:I'd also add that you should be careful when evaluating competitive differences between two different eras, especially in an individual sport like tennis. I could easily say that Serena stands out from the rest of the competition, BECAUSE she makes them look unimpressive, not necessarily because they aren't great players. Who really knows how well Navratilova and Evert would have played against Sharapova, or Henin, or Clijsters, or V. Williams?

And I mean no disrespect by that either. But Henin especially was getting a lot of possible GOAT talk before she retired. As was a young Venus Williams.

realbig, it's we're just talking past each other here. I know you from basketball and I respect you there, thus I respect your brain. Believe me when I say this isn't my first rodeo in tennis analysis.

Something as simple as "well maybe she just makes her competition look ordinary" is easily tested by looking at how the players played against their non-Serena competition. The whole women's game from the start of the Hingis generation onward produced shockingly inconsistent players at the top. The ones you mentioned are the BEST of the lot, and yet they were still problematic. Then you get into the Safinas and Jankovics of the world who reached #1 in the world and were basically history within a year or so after despite still being young.

This was never the norm in women's tennis. It's a trend in the last generation. What exactly the causes are is open for debate, and in theory one could champion Serena as survivor of this plague, but there's something clear cut weird here, and it's been recognized for quite a few years now.

Oh also: Henin GOAT talk. No, c'mon dude. Little more than a decade before Monica Seles had won 8 majors while still a teenager when she got stabbed. That's what a future GOAT candidate cut short looks like. Henin by contrast was a 25 year old who still had only won 7 majors.

What about young Venus? Well sure, people talk about GOAT prospects when they are young, but that's not the same thing as a serious GOAT candidate.

For the record, the run where Serena beat Venus in every final is a really big deal. That's serious domination against serious competition, and at the time I'd have bet on Serena becoming the GOAT. She was never so consistent again however.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,660

Post#22 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:03 am

Slava wrote:I think its also safe to say that Serena herself stalled in her motivation to get better due to a genuine lack of competition at her standards and a real rivalry. The only good rivalries she had were with her sister for a short while and Henin.

I would agree that's part of the issue. This is why I like having conversations about GOAT peak in addition to GOAT career. All of this is just a game after all. I'm not judgmental that an athlete has interests other than their sport, and we should recognize the brilliance of a brief, brilliant flame.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
olive_triangurl
Banned User
And1: 607

Post#23 » by olive_triangurl » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:39 pm

Nadal and Serena are the 2 best tennis players ever.

Return to General Other Sports Talk