little league world series of baseball

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

MICHAEL_JORDAN
Banned User
And1: 124

little league world series of baseball 

Post#1 » by MICHAEL_JORDAN » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:10 am

Honestly, if anything doesn't come closer to child molestation and pedafiliacs, then tell me. I have no issue with kids playing sports, but it kind of bothers me ESPN puts this stuff on TV. And even beyond the fact of what it represents, I feel these kids shouldn't have to be put under that kind of pressure to perform.

I know one of you posters is gonna be like...well, the fact it bothers you, you must be a child molester...or something stupid like that. NO! Why the heck or kids not only being used for monetary purposes and gains, its like a F'en rally point for those cesspool of pedafiles to engage at.

gross, shame on you ESPN.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Re: OT: little league world series of baseball 

Post#2 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:40 am

Its probably only shameful because its espn. The way they treat the other athletes on their network, the unfairness and bashing, its easy to project that to the children.

Like if it was on PBS or something, u know its different.
bagsboy
Veteran
And1: 460

Post#3 » by bagsboy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:13 am

MICHAEL_JORDAN wrote:Honestly, if anything doesn't come closer to child molestation and pedafiliacs, then tell me. I have no issue with kids playing sports, but it kind of bothers me ESPN puts this stuff on TV. And even beyond the fact of what it represents, I feel these kids shouldn't have to be put under that kind of pressure to perform.

I know one of you posters is gonna be like...well, the fact it bothers you, you must be a child molester...or something stupid like that. NO! Why the heck or kids not only being used for monetary purposes and gains, its like a F'en rally point for those cesspool of pedafiles to engage at.

So, kids on welfare is fine...kids on ESPN is just bad parenting. Some people should not have children and some people should not watch ESPN.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#4 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:26 am

bagsboy wrote:
MICHAEL_JORDAN wrote:Honestly, if anything doesn't come closer to child molestation and pedafiliacs, then tell me. I have no issue with kids playing sports, but it kind of bothers me ESPN puts this stuff on TV. And even beyond the fact of what it represents, I feel these kids shouldn't have to be put under that kind of pressure to perform.

So, kids on welfare is fine...kids on ESPN is just bad parenting. Some people should not have children and some people should not watch ESPN.

Who would want their kids subjected to netwerk sleazballs. U have a problem with kids on welfare? U dont want them to eat?
Not saying all network types are sleazeballs but this is espn we are talking about.
Cowbulls
Rookie
And1: 888

Post#5 » by Cowbulls » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 am

Wow when I was a kid if someone told me I'd be on espn that would have been cooler then just about anything in the world....Jesus this country is in trouble. What happened to America. I'm only in my 20's and am just amazed this is a question. We're soft as a country because we want no feelings hurt and even tho I barely understand the question your asking. I know one thing for sure. These kids will remember that moment forever, and they will cherish it. They will learn from it, and maybe one day teach from it. Man...let them live a dream out....I maybe just don't understand this thread but I think it's terrible.
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#6 » by RyGuy24 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:20 am

What does child molestation have to even do with this? Were there accusations or something? Exposing kids to national television exposure is not remotely in the same stratosphere as child molestation.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#7 » by JackFinn » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:29 am

child molestation and pedafiliacs

Wha?
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,891

Post#8 » by bledredwine » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:41 am

lol wut?
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#9 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:43 am

OP is rather overdramatic here. Kids that age are on TV all the time on the Disney channel and Nickelodeon.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,413

Post#10 » by fleet » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:50 am

:thinking:
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Re: little league world series of baseball 

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:00 am

:dontknow:

I'd say this is a lifetime highlight for many of these kids (I'd imagine that some of them go pro or at least d1 college if they're on the best little league team in the nation and then likely have cooler moments). I doubt anyone involved really feels exploited. It's a pretty cool thing. I'd feel like a bad ass if my team got to play for a national title when I was a kid.

I really just have no idea where you're coming from. I'm also surprised that people think "espn is sleazy" relative to other networks. Why?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#12 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:07 am

dougthonus wrote::dontknow:

I'd say this is a lifetime highlight for many of these kids (I'd imagine that some of them go pro or at least d1 college if they're on the best little league team in the nation and then likely have cooler moments). I doubt anyone involved really feels exploited. It's a pretty cool thing. I'd feel like a bad ass if my team got to play for a national title when I was a kid.

I really just have no idea where you're coming from. I'm also surprised that people think "espn is sleazy" relative to other networks. Why?

Thank you.

Where the OP is coming from here is mind boggling to me. With all the problems we have in this World, and all the crap that is on TV these days, THIS is what somebody has a problem with? Something that is an incomparable character builder and life experience for the kids good enough and lucky enough to have the surreal opportunity to live that dream.

What a great thing the Little League World Series is and how freaking cool is it for these kids that they get to be in the National spotlight?

IMO, it is about the best thing ESPN does. An absolute favorite of mine to watch. In fact, I may actually prefer watching them over professional sports.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#13 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:20 am

I was wondering why the Little league world series was on for a solid 8-10 hours today on ESPN/ESPN2.

I kinda get where the OP is coming from its just ESPN trying to make a buck on little kids, I don't think pedophilia has anything too do with it. There are nudist websites that have legal nude photos of children on them if the child sex abusers where looking for a fix they don't have to wait for the Little league World series to pop on ESPN in the middle of august.

I don't know if ESPN is exploiting these kids but at the same time you have to admit it is extremely cheezy for the 'world wide leader in sports' to be airing 10 year old kids playing baseball. Sure there might be a few kids on each team that end up getting drafted but thats so far down the pipe line who cares?
MalcolmXing
Banned User
And1: 503

Post#14 » by MalcolmXing » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:25 am

I agree, albeit the whole pedophile aspect of it I'm not getting whatsoever..but the financial exploit I get..it's bizarre that it's being allowed like that.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:26 am

I think this article elaborates on the potential problems with ESPN airing the LLWS.

http://overtime.blogs.pressdemocrat.com ... thy-on-tv/
MalcolmXing
Banned User
And1: 503

Post#16 » by MalcolmXing » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:28 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:OP is rather overdramatic here. Kids that age are on TV all the time on the Disney channel and Nickelodeon.

Except they're actors/actresses and not athletes. Those kids are not playing a sport where injury is much more of a likelihood.

Also they're working on tv shows where education of sorts is promoted.

Idk, it's difficult to describe but it seems wrong to make a buck off this indeed. I however found some of what OP said as weird.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by chitownsalesmen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 am

MalcolmXing wrote:
Polynice4Pippen wrote:OP is rather overdramatic here. Kids that age are on TV all the time on the Disney channel and Nickelodeon.

Except they're actors/actresses and not athletes. Those kids are not playing a sport where injury is much more of a likelihood.

Idk, it's difficult to describe but it seems wrong to make a buck off this indeed. I however found some of what OP said as weird.

It should also be noted that Child actors/actresses are also paid for their appearance on xyz tv show, even if that money is given directly too the parents at-least they are being compensated in some way.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#18 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:11 am

chitownsalesmen wrote:
MalcolmXing wrote:

It should also be noted that Child actors/actresses are also paid for their appearance on xyz tv show, even if that money is given directly too the parents at-least they are being compensated in some way.

The argument wasn't about compensation. The argument was about whether or not it was appropriate to put 10-13 year old kids on TV.

But concerning compensation, child actors are auditioning and performing jobs in the same manner as adults, jobs that help generate significant revenue for whatever entertainment project they're part of. Little leaguers are participating in a summer activity their parents are paying to put them in. It's not like specific little league teams or leagues have television deals (national or local) or pack stadiums or sell crazy amounts of merchandise.

ESPN is covering a specific event, the Little League World Series, which ABC Wide World of Sports was covering way back in the 60's. Perhaps whatever little league entity has authority to sell ESPN the rights can compensate the teams that reach the world series (yeah right), but ultimately ESPN paid to broadcast a newsworthy, immensely popular human interest sporting event. But feel free to hawk those autographs for baseball card money, kiddies. :wink:
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
Wharton Alum 08
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#19 » by Wharton Alum 08 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:15 pm

I enjoy it. This year there's an African American team from the south side of Chicago with a chance to make it to the World Series.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#20 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:19 pm

chitownsalesmen wrote:I think this article elaborates on the potential problems with ESPN airing the LLWS.

http://overtime.blogs.pressdemocrat.com ... thy-on-tv/

So, I’m getting ready to shake my head at ESPN over-hyping a competition that was really intended only to mean the world to kids, parents and town folk. (I don’t watch it because, I don’t want to see attention-grabbing parents or corporate sponsors lining Little League’s pockets.)

Oh, FFS!! What an idiot this guy is. (who wrote the article). Yeah, it's a shame that corporate sponsors are helping fund Little League...... so they can build more baseball fields and make the game more accessible for kids without money.

My God people. Find something that is really a problem to complain about. FFS, the LLWS has been televised for 50 year and long before ESPN has aired it.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to General Other Sports Talk