Is Tiger Woods considered disgraced?

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Heffernan
Freshman
And1: 269

Is Tiger Woods considered disgraced? 

Post#1 » by Heffernan » Mon Aug 4, 2014 11:30 am

Does the whole scandal, the recent injuries, and the inability to make a noteworthy impact in his sport to overshadow the scandal make him disgraced? Should newspapers refer to Tiger as "the disgraced golfer"? I know it's not Raptor talk, but it's pretty dry on here right now.
wethenorth10
Ballboy
And1: 39

Re: OT: Is Tiger Woods considered disgraced? 

Post#2 » by wethenorth10 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 12:10 pm

He won 5 times last year. He was number one in the world until his back injury. The Masters ratings were down 35% on Thursday and 25% on the weekend entirely attributable to no TIger Woods.

Pretty random and dumb thread.

You are the realgm disgraced poster.
Slim_Charles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#3 » by Slim_Charles » Mon Aug 4, 2014 12:16 pm

Please refer to the RealGM golf forum
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#4 » by Jstock12 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 12:34 pm

Nonsense. He's a man's man. If anything, I like him more now.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,672

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 4, 2014 12:45 pm

Yes, he is. He should not be referred to as a 'disgraced golfer', though, what's the point? It's like branding him with a capital A. People know what he's done, and his zone of invincibility and cover-ups are gone. Hasn't won a major since the scandal. Players no longer fear him, which is good for the sport. I like the competition and seeing other guys believe more and battle it out.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#6 » by JN » Mon Aug 4, 2014 12:54 pm

I love all the people who said he was done back in 2011 coming back now and saying I told you so. They seem to forget the 8 victories in 2012 and 2013 and his earning the world #1 ranking again.

Not sure if he is done this time, but he was not done 3 years ago as many had said.

In terms of morals, it is what it is. He was never marketed as a "great" guy but a generational golfer. The ups and downs he is facing as a golfer is an interesting story

His prime adversary on tour is Phil Mickelson, who is marketed as the all American good guy. Phil is the biggest phony in pro sports and a major douchebag.
JN
RealGM

Post#7 » by JN » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:01 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Yes, he is. He should not be referred to as a 'disgraced golfer', though, what's the point? It's like branding him with a capital A. People know what he's done, and his zone of invincibility and cover-ups are gone. Hasn't won a major since the scandal. Players no longer fear him, which is good for the sport. I like the competition and seeing other guys believe more and battle it out.

Hasn't won a major but please list the players with 8 wins since 2012. It's not like he has done anything since the scandal.
Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Post#8 » by Steven1562 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:01 pm

Disgraced for something he did like 5 years ago ... jesus people need to let it go :roll: he's paid his dues and apologized it's not like he's the only athlete that's gotten freaky with other women and cheated on there wives ... Kobe assaulted some girl we don't call him a disgraced basketball player
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#9 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:02 pm

And in 2014 he lost it again. Actually, it wasn't even his to lose; now it's Rory, who has taken it, but not from Tiger. No majors is a disappointment for Woods no matter how many tournaments he's won because he's been gunning for the all-time number to overtake Jack. So yeah, someone with his talents and lustre, it's a level or three below where he was.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,911

Post#10 » by bape_lovers » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:39 pm

you know its the off-season when our board talk abt golf

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,280

Post#11 » by Green Backpack » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:40 pm

Tiger needs to stop trying to be a good guy and go buy some hookers. He needs to get his mojo back
JN
RealGM

Post#12 » by JN » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:53 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:And in 2014 he lost it again. Actually, it wasn't even his to lose; now it's Rory, who has taken it, but not from Tiger. No majors is a disappointment for Woods no matter how many tournaments he's won because he's been gunning for the all-time number to overtake Jack. So yeah, someone with his talents and lustre, it's a level or three below where he was.

How many times will the haters move the goalposts.

Is no majors a disappointment? Yes

Not sure about your point about Rory not gaining the #1 from Tiger. Tiger was #1 but lost it after injuries last year to Adam Scott?

But you can't claim a player has been disgraced as a golfer since 2010, when they won more than anybody else over that period and were #1 for a period of time.

It's been an up and down period for Tiger (based on physical and mental trauma) that has been interesting to watch as a fan of golf.... and not being on the the hater side or nut hugger side. It's also interesting to see some other golfers fight for that #1 ranking at various times.. be it Westwood, Donald, Rory, Scott... it would have actually been interesting to see Sergio take it yesterday, because for all his troubles he would have been in line for #1 with a win at the PGA.
RoleModel
Analyst
And1: 5,701

Post#13 » by RoleModel » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:56 pm

It's only cheating if you don't say sorry afterwards. As far as I'm concerned, Tiger did nothing wrong.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#14 » by sweetcity » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:57 pm

Heffernan wrote:Image

Does the whole scandal, the recent injuries, and the inability to make a noteworthy impact in his sport to overshadow the scandal make him disgraced? Should newspapers refer to Tiger as "the disgraced golfer"? I know it's not Raptor talk, but it's pretty dry on here right now.

Honestly this is such a stupid thread. Not that its about golf, but the fact someone who even write the garbage you did. Disgraced?? The guy won 5 PGA tournaments last year, more then any other player....
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#15 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:59 pm

JN wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:And in 2014 he lost it again. Actually, it wasn't even his to lose; now it's Rory, who has taken it, but not from Tiger. No majors is a disappointment for Woods no matter how many tournaments he's won because he's been gunning for the all-time number to overtake Jack. So yeah, someone with his talents and lustre, it's a level or three below where he was.

Is anything I said not factual? Tiger's stated goal is to break Jack's record. His chances have dwindled. He won tournaments, yet lost #1. But the reference point isn't "it's not like he hasn't done anything" it's "beat Jack's majors total." It seems you're the one who is moving goal posts. You need to call someone a hater for stating facts? Get some perspective.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Lucky26
Starter
And1: 487

Post#16 » by Lucky26 » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:02 pm

He must have slept with OP's wife/ex-wife.
I'll play defense when you get a girlfriend
RaptorJ
Banned User
And1: 2,054

Post#17 » by RaptorJ » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:07 pm

RoleModel wrote:It's only cheating if you don't say sorry afterwards. As far as I'm concerned, Tiger did nothing wrong.

Just wow.
JN
RealGM

Post#18 » by JN » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:15 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
JN wrote:

Is anything I said not factual? Tiger's stated goal is to break Jack's record. His chances have dwindled. He won tournaments, yet lost #1. But the reference point isn't "it's not like he hasn't done anything" it's "beat Jack's majors total." It seems you're the one who is moving goal posts. You need to call someone a hater for stating facts? Get some perspective.

You may want to re-read your first post

In your first statement you agreed with OP that he was a disgraced golfer. Not just a disgraced person (which is certainly the case), but a disgraced golfer.

I presented the fact that he won 8 times in 2012 and 2013 and was world #1 and wondered how that could be considered a disgraced golfer,

You simply did not address this. The reference point as you mentioned above is not "BEAT JACK'S MAJOR TOTAL". The reference point is the comment you agreed to in your first post"HE IS A DISGRACED GOLFER". As I said you moved the goalposts.
JN
RealGM

Post#19 » by JN » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:20 pm

bape_lovers wrote:you know its the off-season when our board talk abt golf

I suspect I may one of the very few on this board who has the NBA and the PGA at the same level of interest. Can't be many of us.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#20 » by hankscorpioLA » Mon Aug 4, 2014 2:27 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:
JN wrote:

Perspective? I dunno...you seem to have the hate on pretty hard for Tiger.

I mean...you have posted three times about his "failure" to catch Jack Niklaus, yet you haven't mentioned injuries once.

Well here is the full tally:

2002 - left knee ACL surgery
2007 - ruptures left knee ACL
2008 - left knee ACL surgery
2008 - two stress fractures in left tibia
2008 - reconstructive surgery on left knee ACL
2008 - ruptures achilles tendon in right leg
2010 - withdraws from TPC with neck pain
2010 - receives cortisone for right achilles
2011 - sprain of left knee MCL and achilles
2011 - misses US Open
2012 - injures left achilles
2013 - left elbow injury
2014 - surgery to repair a pinched back nerve
2014 - re-injures back

The first time Jack Niklaus had surgery was when he was 44.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.

Return to General Other Sports Talk