Tennis

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Re: Tennis 

Post#41 » by zimpy27 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:41 am

GREY 1769 wrote:Another POV and context:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So the umpire needs to be the bigger person than the person getting 1000 times their salary? Nah, seems like James Blake got off easy and his situation shouldn't be the rule, rather he should consider himself lucky to get off light. The entitled nature of James just oozes through those tweets "that's how a good umpire handles it" they take my berating and mean comments with a smile because they know how much more important I am than them.

I honestly think respect should be given to umpires, they take way too much blame for emotional delinquents who don't know how to blame themselves.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,711

Post#42 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:05 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

So the umpire needs to be the bigger person than the person getting 1000 times their salary? Nah, seems like James Blake got off easy and his situation shouldn't be the rule, rather he should consider himself lucky to get off light. The entitled nature of James just oozes through those tweets "that's how a good umpire handles it" they take my berating and mean comments with a smile because they know how much more important I am than them.

I honestly think respect should be given to umpires, they take way too much blame for emotional delinquents who don't know how to blame themselves.

Salary has nothing to do with it. If it did, the ref would be stricter with male tennis players who make more. I agree, though, about what the rules should be - that's the central issue.

Blake isn't the exception, and not with this ump: in 2017, Nadal threatened that ump in the same way Serena did (something along the lines of ensuring that that ump would never ref another of his games) after he was given a time violation, nothing happened; in 2018 at the Aussie Open, Nick Kyrgios screamed at that ump for a foot violation, nothing happened; Joker told the same ump he was crap, received a soft warning, got no official violation; in Wimbledon this year, both Joker and opponent Nishikori whipped their rackets on the court but only Joker got a warning.

EDIT: Andy got a code violation for saying, 'Stupid umpiring' when the ump thought the player referred to him as stupid. Murray thought the ump was injecting himself into the game too much.

This was, from what I've read, the first time this ump has given a game penalty.

There are other examples of players complaining to that same ump over rules broken by opponents that weren't called or of that ump giving A LOT of leeway to players (ie/ Fed upset that Nadal's coach kept on coaching and nothing was done; Nadal going over the serve time limit over and over again, sometimes called, many other not).

Both Johnny Mac (during the US Open Men's final) and Joker (after the final) said that the ump ought to give room for players to show emotions, that he ought not insert himself into the out come of the match.

The point is about consistency in calling the game. That's it. And there's clear precedent of it being called differently than how it was during the women's final. Serena clearly broke the rules. But when they're enforced differently for different matches, that has to be fixed. As it stands, it's bad for the sport.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,678

Post#43 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:42 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Salary has nothing to do with it. If it did, the ref would be stricter with male tennis players who make more. I agree, though, about what the rules should be - that's the central issue.

Blake isn't the exception, and not with this ump: in 2017, Nadal threatened that ump in the same way Serena did (something along the lines of ensuring that that ump would never ref another of his games) after he was given a time violation, nothing happened; in 2018 at the Aussie Open, Nick Kyrgios screamed at that ump for a foot violation, nothing happened; Joker told the same ump he was crap, received a soft warning, got no official violation; in Wimbledon this year, both Joker and opponent Nishikori whipped their rackets on the court but only Joker got a warning.

EDIT: Andy got a code violation for saying, 'Stupid umpiring' when the ump thought the player referred to him as stupid. Murray thought the ump was injecting himself into the game too much.

There are other examples of players complaining to that same ump over rules broken by opponents that weren't called or of that ump giving A LOT of leeway to players (ie/ Fed upset that Nadal's coach kept on coaching and nothing was done; Nadal going over the serve time limit over and over again, sometimes called, many other not).

Both Johnny Mac (during the US Open Men's final) and Joker (after the final) said that the ump ought to give room for players to show emotions, that he ought not insert himself into the out come of the match.

The point is about consistency in calling the game. That's it. And there's clear precedent of it being called differently than how it was during the women's final. Serena clearly broke the rules. But when they're enforced differently for different matches, that has to be fixed. As it stands, it's bad for the sport.

So you think an umpire should not give a code violation for destroying your racquet and another for being called a liar and a thief because players should show their emotions? Why have rules? What sort of example does that set at the grassroots?

My son plays competitive tennis at a national level, and one of the first things he was taught was to respect the opponent and the officials (if they need to become involved to solve disputes). They know better than to point the finger at the ref and berate him or her. So, once you become a pro, you should be excused from that? Funny seeing people making excuses for her.

I am glad the ITF sees enough sense to not punish the umpire for her temper tantrum. In fact, they rewarding him with the umpiring job for the upcoming Davis Cup match invoking the USA. He will be fair as usual - he is considered one of the top umpires for good reason. Will be interesting how Team USA handled it, considering they have a long history of taking sides with their own.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,711

Post#44 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:14 pm

LordCovington33 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

So you think an umpire should not give a code violation for destroying your racquet and another for being called a liar and a thief because players should show their emotions? Why have rules? What sort of example does that set at the grassroots?

My son plays competitive tennis at a national level, and one of the first things he was taught was to respect the opponent and the officials (if they need to become involved to solve disputes). They know better than to point the finger at the ref and berate him or her. So, once you become a pro, you should be excused from that? Funny seeing people making excuses for her.

I am glad the ITF sees enough sense to not punish the umpire for her temper tantrum. In fact, they rewarding him with the umpiring job for the upcoming Davis Cup match invoking the USA. He will be fair as usual - he is considered one of the top umpires for good reason. Will be interesting how Team USA handled it, considering they have a long history of taking sides with their own.

No that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that there has to be consistency all across the board, and I've cited examples where there is too much variation in applying the rules, even in the very same game, for the very same violation -- Joker vs. Nishikori both slamming their rackets, only one player gets called for it.

For the umpteenth time, I'm not saying Serena should not have been punished. Just realize I'm not disagreeing with you on that point. She was beyond out of line. The ump followed the rules for giving her violations.

I'm saying that given that there are many examples where other players have not been punished for coaching or for at least as bad outbursts which also included swearing, there has to be consistency in calling them out across the board. That's it. Otherwise it mars the game. I'm all for respecting the umps and being on the strict side of that in any sport. But there also can't be such disparity in making the calls. Consistency.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,190

Post#45 » by Mickey8 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:14 pm

She did the similar thing to a woman umpire years back at the US Open , so the sexism is nothing to do with Serena being miserable looser.
trulutup
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#46 » by trulutup » Sun Oct 7, 2018 4:00 pm

I'm looking at the Shanghai Masters from yesterday, can only recommend it to anyone. I still play a little FreeCell on the PC on the side. Have fun.
Blanken6
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#47 » by Blanken6 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Rafeal has all of the quality and energy to win another Grandslam. Wish him all the best.
Ignat Erit
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#48 » by Ignat Erit » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:39 pm

I do not like tennis, never fond of it.
BladeDaywalker
Head Coach
And1: 8,760

Post#49 » by BladeDaywalker » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:29 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The Picture of Dorian Gray

“He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”
BladeDaywalker
Head Coach

Post#50 » by BladeDaywalker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter

“He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”
BladeDaywalker
Head Coach

Post#51 » by BladeDaywalker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:42 pm

Read on Twitter

BladeDaywalker
Head Coach

Post#52 » by BladeDaywalker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 pm

Read on Twitter

BladeDaywalker
Head Coach

Post#53 » by BladeDaywalker » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:08 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

BladeDaywalker
Head Coach

Post#54 » by BladeDaywalker » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:09 am

Read on Twitter

NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Post#55 » by NADALalot » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:51 am

Nadal and Federer are the only men ever to win 20 slams.
Nadal and Wilander are the only men ever to win multiple slams on clay, grass and hardcourt.
Nadal has a winning record over Federer at French Open and Australian Open.
Nadal has a winning record over Djokovic at French Open and US Open.
NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Post#56 » by NADALalot » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:03 am

Nadal missed 2003 French Open = Elbow Injury
Nadal missed 2004 French Open = Broken Foot
Nadal missed 2006 Australian Open = Foot Injury
Nadal missed 2009 Wimbledon (defending champ) = Knee Tendinitis/Parents Separated
Nadal retired QF 2010 Australian Open (defending champ) = Knee Injury
Nadal missed 2012 Olympics (defending champ) = Hoffa's Syndrome
Nadal missed 2012 US Open = Hoffa's Syndrome
Nadal missed 2013 Australian Open = Hoffa's Syndrome
Nadal missed 2014 US Open (defending champ) = Back Spasms
Nadal retired R3 2016 French Open = Wrist Injury
Nadal retired QF 2018 Australian Open = Hip Injury
Nadal retired SF 2018 US Open (defending champ) = Knee Injury
Nadal missed 2020 US Open (defending champ) = Covid-19 (concerns)
And played through serious injury at  2009 US Open SF (Stomach Tear), 2011 AO QF (Hamstring Tear), 2014 AO Final (Back Spasms)

Return to General Other Sports Talk