Curry and the Web.com tour

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Curry and the Web.com tour 

Post#1 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:59 pm

I'm pretty curious to see how he does.

A little bit of controversy about him getting an exemption to this professional golf tourny.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/19760510/golf-stephen-curry-play-webcom-tour-event-right-taking-spot-golfer%20/golf/story/_/id/19760510/golf-stephen-curry-play-webcom-tour-event-right-taking-spot-golfer

This is the 3rd best tour in the world and where many fringe PGA tour players and up and comers playing here. A winning player of each tourny normally get about 115k I believe.

I wonder who the best golfers are in basketball. I know he and Igodala golf a lot together and Kerr got them on Augusta National last summer for a round.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Drop Shot
RealGM
And1: 91,916

Re: Curry and the Web.com tour 

Post#2 » by Drop Shot » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:01 pm

He's not taking anyone's spot
Sobel: I get it. He won't win; he won't contend; he might not even beat anyone else. But that's not the point. A sponsor is given two unrestricted exemptions into its event. Right now, two months ahead of a late-season Web.com tourney, we're talking about it. Which means the exemption is already paying dividends. This whole outrage over "taking a spot from another player" is invalid, because it was never another player's spot in the first place.

S/O to Bruno for the Sig and Avi
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:05 pm

I think making the cut would be a pretty amazing accomplishment, but if he did something crazy and won he would very likely have full membership on the PGA tour for one year. The top 25 money earners graduate to the PGA tour, that purse would be pretty close. Even the top 50 or 75 on the money list would get some starts on the PGA tour.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,928

Post#4 » by lakerz12 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:09 pm

CDN Uprising wrote:He's not taking anyone's spot
Sobel: I get it. He won't win; he won't contend; he might not even beat anyone else. But that's not the point. A sponsor is given two unrestricted exemptions into its event. Right now, two months ahead of a late-season Web.com tourney, we're talking about it. Which means the exemption is already paying dividends. This whole outrage over "taking a spot from another player" is invalid, because it was never another player's spot in the first place.

It's a spot that the sponsor would have given to someone else (usually a pro golfer).

So, yes he is taking "someone's" spot but not someone who earned their way into the tournament.

I don't personally have any problem with it and it is a great thing for golf and the tournament.

Those who hear "scratch golfer" and think that means he averages par will be suprised though. Curry actually averages like 76-78 on his casual rounds (which is very good for an amateur) but he will shoot more like 80-85 under tournament conditions, if not higher (in my opinion).
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#5 » by lakerz12 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:12 pm

12footrim wrote:I think making the cut would be a pretty amazing accomplishment, but if he did something crazy and won he would very likely have full membership on the PGA tour for one year. The top 25 money earners graduate to the PGA tour, that purse would be pretty close. Even the top 50 or 75 on the money list would get some starts on the PGA tour.

Indeed, making the cut would be an amazing accomplishment. And there's about a 2% chance of that happening.

The only way he wins is if everyone else is forced to withdraw due to injury or illness.

Pro golfers on the PGA Tour, European Tour, and Web.com Tour and even lessor tours are insanely good. This is the equivalent of a D3 college basketball player playing an NBA game.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#6 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:17 pm

Just shows Basketball's superiority over other sports by having NBA stars just "show up" in that sport's professional tournaments ;). I hope he does well - haha...

Next step is they should let LeBron play in the next Super Bowl as a replacement for an injured player and we can all watch him dominate and score 5 touchdowns ;).
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:21 pm

CDN Uprising wrote:He's not taking anyone's spot

Technically no, but it does deny a talented golfer trying to make it, and all it takes is one tournament. There are talented guys that go through Q-school year after year just to get on that tour and at the cost of about 5 grand a try that can't even get a start. It cost a lot to chase that dream with equipment and club memberships to practice so you do hurt someone.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:22 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
12footrim wrote:I think making the cut would be a pretty amazing accomplishment, but if he did something crazy and won he would very likely have full membership on the PGA tour for one year. The top 25 money earners graduate to the PGA tour, that purse would be pretty close. Even the top 50 or 75 on the money list would get some starts on the PGA tour.

Indeed, making the cut would be an amazing accomplishment. And there's about a 2% chance of that happening.

The only way he wins is if everyone else is forced to withdraw due to injury or illness.

Pro golfers on the PGA Tour, European Tour, and Web.com Tour and even lessor tours are insanely good. This is the equivalent of a D3 college basketball player playing an NBA game.

Obviously the crowds shouldn't bother him and he obviously has the greatest shooting touch and feel in NBA history. I truely believe that is a talent you are born with just like a vertical. Maybe that is a transferable skill to golfing touch and feel around the greens. Something about his feel and perception is elite and he's got an elite feel and a talent for mastering repeatable mechanics of a shot. Maybe he got all that in putting for instance.

He's certainly big and strong enough compared to an average professional golfer to drive the ball pretty well off the tee. Kind of interesting, if I was going to watch one player or bet on them being good he would be it. Of course I wouldn't bet on it but one good round would probably get you to the weekend.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,537

Post#9 » by righterwriter » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:37 pm

I've heard that he can drive better than Tiger Woods.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#10 » by BdeRegt » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:41 pm

I feel like the people complaining is just another example of people today hating fun. It will be great for the event. I mean I will probably watch some to see how he does and wouldn't have cared at all about this otherwise. It doesn't take away from any struggling golfer as pointed out. It takes away from some other big name who the sponsor would have chosen. I hope he enjoys himself and does well.

Also, this isn't some groundbreaking thing for Golf. Tony Romo attempted to qualify for US Open. Many tournaments are Pro-AMs. The great thing about golf is that amateurs can play with pros and it doesn't hinder the pros.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Post#11 » by HiRez » Mon Jul 3, 2017 8:41 pm

He better not pull his back out playing golf, I don't think Warriors management would be too pleased with that. There's literally hundreds of millions of dollars riding on Steph staying healthy every year.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#12 » by lakerz12 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 5:18 am

12footrim wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

Obviously the crowds shouldn't bother him and he obviously has the greatest shooting touch and feel in NBA history. I truely believe that is a talent you are born with just like a vertical. Maybe that is a transferable skill to golfing touch and feel around the greens. Something about his feel and perception is elite and he's got an elite feel and a talent for mastering repeatable mechanics of a shot. Maybe he got all that in putting for instance.

He's certainly big and strong enough compared to an average professional golfer to drive the ball pretty well off the tee. Kind of interesting, if I was going to watch one player or bet on them being good he would be it. Of course I wouldn't bet on it but one good round would probably get you to the weekend.

Curry may have as much natural talent or aptitude as someone could have for golf, but there's no such thing as a "natural" golfer. The golf swing is an unnatural movement that has to be learned. Not to mention all of the shots inside 100 yards. Look up a video of Lebron James trying to hit a golf ball, it's hideous.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or brag but I played D2 college golf so I know more than most. If Curry honestly tried to play pro golf it would be the equivalent of Michael Jordan playing baseball or worse.

Jerry Rice was considered to be a very good golfer, even better than Curry. He played in the event in 2011 and 2012. He missed the cut in 2011 with rounds of 83 and 76 and withdrew in 2012 after playing 27 holes in 23-over.

All of the thousands of hours Curry has spent in the basketball gym...the golfers have spent on the course. There is 0 substitute for that practice and learning.

You can look up Steph Curry's handicap index which shows his scores. He averages around 76 or so. He would have a very tough time trying to make a D3 college golf team. And that's being generous. Most D3 players average less than that during practice. Even he knows that.

The great part about golf is that the scores tell the story very clearly and that will be obvious when this tournament takes place. But it is good for charity and for golf.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,939

Post#13 » by chrismikayla » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:36 pm

I predict 83-82 first two rounds and a missed cut. Professional tournament golf is a totally different animal than rounds at your home course. Jerry Rice was around the same handicap and shot 89 his first round in a sponsors invite.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,795

Post#14 » by DuckIII » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:47 pm

I've seen Curry play golf and he's a very good recreational golfer.

But I've also seen a web.com Tour event, know a web.com Tour player, aplayed with multiple web.com players, and was a D-1 NCAA golfer myself. And I can tell you with absolute certainty the notion of Curry being legitimately competitive in this event is absurd.

Web.com Tour golfers are amazing. Including the ones who struggle to even qualify for the events, let alone are good enough to make a genuine living out of it.

That said, sponsors get exemptions. And golf is a business too. I have no problem with it as a novelty act. But make no mistake, that's all it is. He'll get destroyed.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by DuckIII » Tue Jul 4, 2017 12:51 pm

HiRez wrote:He better not pull his back out playing golf, I don't think Warriors management would be too pleased with that. There's literally hundreds of millions of dollars riding on Steph staying healthy every year.

You don't get as good at golf as Curry without playing golf. Quite a bit. Dude is golfing whether it's at a tournament or with his buddies. Same minimal injury risk regardless.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by DuckIII » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:04 pm

lakerz12 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

Curry may have as much natural talent or aptitude as someone could have for golf, but there's no such thing as a "natural" golfer. The golf swing is an unnatural movement that has to be learned. Not to mention all of the shots inside 100 yards. Look up a video of Lebron James trying to hit a golf ball, it's hideous.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or brag but I played D2 college golf so I know more than most. If Curry honestly tried to play pro golf it would be the equivalent of Michael Jordan playing baseball or worse.

Jerry Rice was considered to be a very good golfer, even better than Curry. He played in the event in 2011 and 2012. He missed the cut in 2011 with rounds of 83 and 76 and withdrew in 2012 after playing 27 holes in 23-over.

All of the thousands of hours Curry has spent in the basketball gym...the golfers have spent on the course. There is 0 substitute for that practice and learning.

You can look up Steph Curry's handicap index which shows his scores. He averages around 76 or so. He would have a very tough time trying to make a D3 college golf team. And that's being generous. Most D3 players average less than that during practice. Even he knows that.

The great part about golf is that the scores tell the story very clearly and that will be obvious when this tournament takes place. But it is good for charity and for golf.

It's understandable of course, but people who don't know from close up experience don't realize just how ridiculously good even "horrible" pro golfers are and how much they practice.

I played in a pro-am last year on a respectable course in relatively poor weather conditions. The pro in my group shot a ridiculous 65. And he works odd jobs all year round to be able to save up $ to go play on mini tours in South America and Asia because he isn't good enough to play on larger tours.

Rule of thumb: Odds are the absolute best amateur golfer any of us knows sucks, relatively speaking, compared to even the least accomplished small tour pro golfer.

And the Web.com Tour is not a small tour.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by 12footrim » Tue Jul 4, 2017 6:11 pm

DuckIII wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

It's understandable of course, but people who don't know from close up experience don't realize just how ridiculously good even "horrible" pro golfers are and how much they practice.

I played in a pro-am last year on a respectable course in relatively poor weather conditions. The pro in my group shot a ridiculous 65. And he works odd jobs all year round to be able to save up $ to go play on mini tours in South America and Asia because he isn't good enough to play on larger tours.

Rule of thumb: Odds are the absolute best amateur golfer any of us knows sucks, relatively speaking, compared to even the least accomplished small tour pro golfer.

I don't disagree with much of anything that was said other than the examples of Lebron trying to hit a golf ball or Jordan playing baseball. I you look at Lebron no one should expect the gifts and talents he has to be very attributable to golf or Jordan. These are guys that rely on all time elite athletic ability, size and strength more than anything else.

These aren't the elite talents Curry was born with. What makes him elite is shooting which like golf is kind of a repeatable motion where depth perception and feel is totally important. Certainly there is always the element of 10,000 hours of mastery where you commit it to muscle memory and why he is able to take that talent and be the best just like a golfer has his swing.

Let me get this straight and clear. I would fully expect Curry to struggle off the tee. No doubt other than maybe he could muscle it out pretty far. What wouldn't shock me at all he he was a natural at putting and chipping. Even many of these great ball striking golfers struggle mightily on the greens to the point amateur golfers could out put or chip them.

That's what I'm talking about here. I don't think it would be crazy to think his putter got hot for a round and he made the cut and if there was a skill I think he would be naturally equipt at that would be it. Maybe more naturally than almost anyone else in the world or at least in the upper percentage.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#18 » by lakerz12 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:31 am

12footrim wrote: I don't disagree with much of anything that was said other than the examples of Lebron trying to hit a golf ball or Jordan playing baseball. I you look at Lebron no one should expect the gifts and talents he has to be very attributable to golf or Jordan. These are guys that rely on all time elite athletic ability, size and strength more than anything else.

These aren't the elite talents Curry was born with. What makes him elite is shooting which like golf is kind of a repeatable motion where depth perception and feel is totally important. Certainly there is always the element of 10,000 hours of mastery where you commit it to muscle memory and why he is able to take that talent and be the best just like a golfer has his swing.

Let me get this straight and clear. I would fully expect Curry to struggle off the tee. No doubt other than maybe he could muscle it out pretty far. What wouldn't shock me at all he he was a natural at putting and chipping. Even many of these great ball striking golfers struggle mightily on the greens to the point amateur golfers could out put or chip them.

That's what I'm talking about here. I don't think it would be crazy to think his putter got hot for a round and he made the cut and if there was a skill I think he would be naturally equipt at that would be it. Maybe more naturally than almost anyone else in the world or at least in the upper percentage.

Check the short game and putting stats after the first 2 rounds.

I bet Curry will be in the bottom 10% for all stats on shots inside 50 yards.

That's because you can't be a natural at short game or putting anymore than you can be a natural at 3pt shooting.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,401

Post#19 » by azcatz11 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:50 am

DuckIII wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

What do you think the odds are for him to make the cut?
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by 12footrim » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:53 am

azcatz11 wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:

What do you think the odds are for him to make the cut?

10% or less prob

I bet on golf every week. Trust me Dustin Johnson or Rory can go out and shoot a 80 and miss a cut by a mile it wouldn't shock anyone. Just in the US Open like 12 of the top 15 in the world missed the cut most badly and that was in a major with some scrub ass qualifiers that paid 185 bucks to qualify.

This isn't that and Curry could totally put together a good round or have some weather wave luck. It's not crazy at all the way golf is. Sponsor exemptions amateurs have top 10's on the PGA tour all the time and this is a couple tours down.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to General Other Sports Talk