OT: Djokovic one match away from Calendar Grand Slam

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,045

Re: OT: Djokovic one match away from Calendar Grand Slam 

Post#341 » by Sark » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:20 pm

Australia has denied his visa. Looks like no Grand Slam this year.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,934

Post#342 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:44 pm

AdagioPace wrote:
wco81 wrote:So Djoko's medical exemption has caused a bit of a firestorm in Australia, with the PM saying he may not grant him an entry visa despite the exemption from vaccination that the tennis authorities granted.

Very negative reaction on social media from Australians.

But it sounds like Djoko is even more nutty than Favre when it comes to covid, vaccines and modern medicine in general.

While Djokovic never explicitly revealed his vaccination status, he has offered numerous indications of his general stance. Long before vaccines were available, he stated his concern about having to be vaccinated in order to travel. He has often stressed the importance of embracing “natural” solutions; early in the pandemic he held Instagram live conversations in which he spoke of how the power of gratitude could “turn the most toxic food, or maybe most polluted water into the most healing water.” After he underwent surgery on his right elbow in 2018, a procedure that has allowed him to win nine grand slam titles since, he said that he cried for three days.

His belief in alternative medicine is complemented by his commitment to alternative history. He frequently retreats to hills in Visoko, Bosnia and Herzegovina, where he meets up with the businessman Semir Osmanagic – whose claims that there are ancient man-made structures with magical healing powers, refuted by scientists, have turned the hills into a lucrative tourist destination. Djokovic has also expressed his support for the ultranationalist alternative historian Jovan Deretic, whose writings claim, among other things, that numerous European cultures, including ancient Greeks, Celts and Etruscans, are descended from Serbs.

What a surprise, he's at least a sympathizer with Serbian nationalists.

Read in The Guardian: https://apple.news/A6H43pU5WRUCfU0_9_gISag

sorry for our serbian friends here but Novak is the typical reactionary, antiscience, "cult of tradition" puppet . such a coincidence that Umberto Eco would have been 90 years old today and he has given hundreds of lectures about these kinds of people and Ur-Fascism.
lol imagine saying Etruscans (proto-non-indoeuropeans speaking a language isolate) are serbians, super lol

no surprise this case has triggered outrage, not only in Australia. I'm waiting to see if the medical exemption is really medical related or bullxxx related.

Well I'm Serbian, I'm vaccinated, I believe in science and don't agree with Djokovic on many things. But I have some questions for you my friends.
1. You call quasi scientist Semir Osmanagic (bosnian), "businessman", not bosnian ultranationalist, but you call Jovan Deretic other quasi scientist "ultranationalist alternative historian Jovan Deretic". They both say a lot of stupid things about history of balkans but only one lunatic is "ultranationalist". Why? Are you trying to imply that Djokivic is ultranationalist when his mother is croat and Djokivic did more then any other sport-star to conect people from ex-yu?
azcatz11 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:Of course he gets exempted. Not like there’s any history or nothing.

Another reason many people will never like him, no matter how many Slams he wins.

His game is just so boring. I don't deny his greatness but I fall asleep watching his matches. That's also why his fan base is extremely small

2. Why do you think Djokivic's fan base is extremely small? He is not popular among westerners but most popular tennis player in China. 1.5 billion people, but they're not westerners so they don't count. What about Russia, who do you think they prefer among big 3? Or Eastern-Europeans don't count.
3. Djokovic applied anonymously for medical exception with 26 other players and received one. Will Australian authorities hunt other 25 or not?
4. Did you know that Simone Biles used Methylphenidate which is a banned WADA substance, based on her medical condition. But she is American so it is ok for her to have medical condition, and not for Djokovic?
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#343 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 9:46 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:Djokovic will never be GOAT

I see you a lot on basketball forums as one of the biggest Jokic haters, is it connected in some way?
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#344 » by Tomjas » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:14 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:

I see you a lot on basketball forums as one of the biggest Jokic haters, is it connected in some way?

He’s a troll

Anyway, Djokovic is being denied entry because he doesn’t have an appropriate visa

Visa has been cancelled & he is now challenging decision
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,961

Post#345 » by Shock Defeat » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:14 pm

Looks like Novax got what he deserved
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,252

Post#346 » by Cubbies2120 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:18 pm

Tennis Association: "We'll allow people to apply for exemption"

Novak and 26 other players apply for exemption

Nerds on internet freak out "Y HE GET EXEMPTION"

:lol:
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#347 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:23 pm

Tomjas wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:

He’s a troll

Anyway, Djokovic is being denied entry because he doesn’t have an appropriate visa

I'm totally ok with the same approach to every tennis player. BTW I don't watch tennis because 5 hours is too much for me. One more thing as someone who believes in science I also believe in restrictions of science. I'm vaccinated 2x, had covid, maybe I have omicron now and I'm ready to say that these vaccines don't work for omicron. They were good for original Wuhan variance, so-so for delta, but can't help for omicron. So why are countries still trying to force vaccination when they can't help? Omicron is obviously lighter variance, we all will get it and I hope it will be the end of covid.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#348 » by rzzzzz » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:27 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:Nerds on internet freak out "Y HE GET EXEMPTION"

You mean the people living in Australia who grudgingly have put up with a lot of personal compromise? Yeah, they are a bit testy about an elite getting special treatment. Sort of predictable, no?
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#349 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:30 pm

I think something like 150 NBA players have Covid of 450, 95% are vaccinated, but let's burn witches - Kyrie, MPJ, Djokivic who don't want to take vaccines which are not working anyway.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#350 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:35 pm

rzzzzz wrote:

You mean the people living in Australia who grudgingly have put up with a lot trying to keep the virus under control? Yeah, they are a bit testy about an elite getting special treatment. Sort of predictable, no?

Man we all went through a lot all around the world but look at this and tell me did it help?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Virus won, end of story.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,014

Post#351 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:37 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:

Not really, at least not the same connection as following players just because of their country.
Besides, I'm not sure I'm really a hater, Jokic has been a top 5 player last 2-3 years, thats a huge accomplishment, very few players can get to that level.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,252

Post#352 » by Cubbies2120 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:39 pm

rzzzzz wrote:

You mean the people living in Australia who grudgingly have put up with a lot of personal compromise? Yeah, they are a bit testy about an elite getting special treatment. Sort of predictable, no?

So if the following are true...

1. Entire stadium needs to be vaccinated
2. Vaccine significantly impedes spread of virus and makes the symptoms much milder
3. Djokovic can prove he had it in last couple months (when he can't get it again while in Australia)

Why would he NEED to be vaccinated to enter? Is the Covid antibody stuff we've been told for 2 years now false? Or is the vaccine not as potent as we've been told? Or both?

I'm vaccinated and getting booster next month, so I'm not anti-vaccine, but the logic isn't lining up for me here...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#353 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:40 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:2. Why do you think Djokivic's fan base is extremely small? He is not popular among westerners but most popular tennis player in China. 1.5 billion people, but they're not westerners so they don't count. What about Russia, who do you think they prefer among big 3? Or Eastern-Europeans don't count.

I don't doubt that there's some prejudice of Western Europeans with the Balkans and Easter Europe in general.

But it sounds like it goes the other way too, with Djokovic embracing some Serbian nationalist ideas which overplay the influence of Serbian culture over other Western European cultures.

He probably plays with a chip on his shoulder about being looked down upon because of his ethnic/cultural heritage. It's probably helped him win as much as he has.

I still remember the first Grand Slam tournament where he went from a relatively unknown teenager to showing great potential. It was the Australian I believe, where as he advanced, the commentators were saying this kid was for real, what he was doing was not a fluke.

His parents were in the stands and they showed them often screaming and holding out their fists. Maybe it didn't make the best first impression into the genteel world of tennis.

Maybe the parents had nationalist beliefs as well. Europeans might have been taken aback somewhat because Bosnia and Kosovo were not distant memories to them.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#354 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:40 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

2. Vaccine significantly impedes spread of virus and makes the symptoms much milder
3. Djokovic can prove he had it in last couple months (when he can't get it again while in Australia)

Why would he NEED to be vaccinated to enter? Is the Covid antibody stuff we've been told for 2 years now false? Or is the vaccine not as potent as we've been told? Or both?

I'm vaccinated and getting booster next month, so I'm not anti-vaccine, but the logic isn't lining up for me here...

Their house, their rules.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#355 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 10:43 pm

Bum Adebayo wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:

Not really, at least not the same connection as following players just because of their country.
Besides, I'm not sure I'm really a hater, Jokic has been a top 5 player last 2-3 years, thats a huge accomplishment, very few players can get to that level.

Ok then, my bad
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,565

Post#356 » by azcatz11 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:05 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
AdagioPace wrote:
wco81 wrote:So Djoko's medical exemption has caused a bit of a firestorm in Australia, with the PM saying he may not grant him an entry visa despite the exemption from vaccination that the tennis authorities granted.

Very negative reaction on social media from Australians.

But it sounds like Djoko is even more nutty than Favre when it comes to covid, vaccines and modern medicine in general.

What a surprise, he's at least a sympathizer with Serbian nationalists.

Read in The Guardian: https://apple.news/A6H43pU5WRUCfU0_9_gISag

sorry for our serbian friends here but Novak is the typical reactionary, antiscience, "cult of tradition" puppet . such a coincidence that Umberto Eco would have been 90 years old today and he has given hundreds of lectures about these kinds of people and Ur-Fascism.
lol imagine saying Etruscans (proto-non-indoeuropeans speaking a language isolate) are serbians, super lol

no surprise this case has triggered outrage, not only in Australia. I'm waiting to see if the medical exemption is really medical related or bullxxx related.

Well I'm Serbian, I'm vaccinated, I believe in science and don't agree with Djokovic on many things. But I have some questions for you my friends.
1. You call quasi scientist Semir Osmanagic (bosnian), "businessman", not bosnian ultranationalist, but you call Jovan Deretic other quasi scientist "ultranationalist alternative historian Jovan Deretic". They both say a lot of stupid things about history of balkans but only one lunatic is "ultranationalist". Why? Are you trying to imply that Djokivic is ultranationalist when his mother is croat and Djokivic did more then any other sport-star to conect people from ex-yu?
azcatz11 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Another reason many people will never like him, no matter how many Slams he wins.

His game is just so boring. I don't deny his greatness but I fall asleep watching his matches. That's also why his fan base is extremely small

2. Why do you think Djokivic's fan base is extremely small? He is not popular among westerners but most popular tennis player in China. 1.5 billion people, but they're not westerners so they don't count. What about Russia, who do you think they prefer among big 3? Or Eastern-Europeans don't count.
3. Djokovic applied anonymously for medical exception with 26 other players and received one. Will Australian authorities hunt other 25 or not?
4. Did you know that Simone Biles used Methylphenidate which is a banned WADA substance, based on her medical condition. But she is American so it is ok for her to have medical condition, and not for Djokovic?

I don't care about any of the vaccine stuff. That's none of my business. I was just pointing out that he's a boring tennis player who gets boo'd constantly because his game doesn't translate. I'm sure he's a great guy but you couldn't pay me to watch a match he's in
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#357 » by Tomjas » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:06 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:I see you a lot on basketball forums as one of the biggest Jokic haters, is it connected in some way?

He’s a troll

I'm totally ok with the same approach to every tennis player. BTW I don't watch tennis because 5 hours is too much for me. One more thing as someone who believes in science I also believe in restrictions of science. I'm vaccinated 2x, had covid, maybe I have omicron now and I'm ready to say that these vaccines don't work for omicron. They were good for original Wuhan variance, so-so for delta, but can't help for omicron. So why are countries still trying to force vaccination when they can't help? Omicron is obviously lighter variance, we all will get it and I hope it will be the end of covid.

I am Australian, double vaxxed and aware that being so is no guarantee that I won’t contract any of the variants

My only view on Joker is that he needs to comply with the same entry & quarantine requirements as everyone else

To put things into perspective, 2 friends of mine recently returned from overseas

They’re fully vaxxed + booster and tested negative before boarding their flight & upon arrival

2 weeks hotel quarantine

People here have no sympathy for anyone trying to game the system
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,565

Post#358 » by azcatz11 » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:08 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:

Here's obviously what happened. They gave Djokovic an exemption because he's the #1 player in the world and seriously, it's one unvaccinated dude playing. Who cares.

Now it's a political 'you know what' storm so they're back tracking. Common sense should prevail and they should let him play. This whole thing is stupid
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#359 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:13 pm

wco81 wrote:I don't doubt that there's some prejudice of Western Europeans with the Balkans and Easter Europe in general.

But it sounds like it goes the other way too, with Djokovic embracing some Serbian nationalist ideas which overplay the influence of Serbian culture over other Western European cultures.

He probably plays with a chip on his shoulder about being looked down upon because of his ethnic/cultural heritage. It's probably helped him win as much as he has.

We agree here, about Western Europeans with the Balkans and Easter Europe in general, and we agree that it goes the other way too, so maybe it is part of the answer why he has a small fan base among WESTERN EUROPEANS.
I hate when people try to overplay the influence of any culture over the other weather by small and not very important one like Serbian culture, or by big one like western culture, when westerners pretend like it is the only culture. Like Chinese or better say Asian or Russian don't exist.
There was one funny thing about Djokovic. He was 3rd best player for a long time. No one was ever looking at him as close to Fed or Nadal. But when Murray won few GS western media was quick to proclamation of big 4. Djok was not good enough but all of a sudden Murray was.

wco81 wrote:Maybe the parents had nationalist beliefs as well. Europeans might have been taken aback somewhat because Bosnia and Kosovo were not distant memories to them.

Here is a problem - when American wears his national flags it is OK. When Serbian do it he is worst nationalist, right. One more thing about Balkans and 90tis. I was looking at my national tv channels and couldn't believe how much they were lying. And I was watching CNN and BBC and couldn't believe how much they were lying. To remind you about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
When I wanted to learn about Americas elections I was looking at FOX and CNN. Different sources. If you want to know something about today look at CNN but also RT. So let's say just things are not always as we think.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#360 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:20 pm

Tomjas wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
He’s a troll

I am Australian, double vaxxed and aware that being so is no guarantee that I won’t contract any of the variants

My only view on Joker is that he needs to comply with the same entry & quarantine requirements as everyone else

To put things into perspective, 2 friends of mine recently returned from overseas

They’re fully vaxxed + booster and tested negative before boarding their flight & upon arrival

2 weeks hotel quarantine

People here have no sympathy for anyone trying to game the system

We agree here, same rules for all 26 players who got medical exemption. But why are they trying to make it like it is only Djokovic? What if Simone Biles get medical exemption, she is American, would it be the same for her?
And one thing from European experience, these vaccines are not working for omicron, you will see in few weeks. Luckily majority of people don't need hospitals, stay at home

Return to General Other Sports Talk