OT: Djokovic one match away from Calendar Grand Slam

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Re: OT: Djokovic one match away from Calendar Grand Slam 

Post#361 » by Tomjas » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:33 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:I'm totally ok with the same approach to every tennis player. BTW I don't watch tennis because 5 hours is too much for me. One more thing as someone who believes in science I also believe in restrictions of science. I'm vaccinated 2x, had covid, maybe I have omicron now and I'm ready to say that these vaccines don't work for omicron. They were good for original Wuhan variance, so-so for delta, but can't help for omicron. So why are countries still trying to force vaccination when they can't help? Omicron is obviously lighter variance, we all will get it and I hope it will be the end of covid.

I am Australian, double vaxxed and aware that being so is no guarantee that I won’t contract any of the variants

My only view on Joker is that he needs to comply with the same entry & quarantine requirements as everyone else

To put things into perspective, 2 friends of mine recently returned from overseas

They’re fully vaxxed + booster and tested negative before boarding their flight & upon arrival

2 weeks hotel quarantine

People here have no sympathy for anyone trying to game the system

We agree here, same rules for all 26 players who got medical exemption. But why are they trying to make it like it is only Djokovic? What if Simone Biles get medical exemption, she is American, would it be the same for her?
And one thing from European experience, these vaccines are not working for omicron, you will see in few weeks. Luckily majority of people don't need hospitals, stay at home

His profile makes him newsworthy

Definitely not anti European bias as an American player was denied entry also

Omicron is here and cases are increasing exponentially

Fortunately, hospitalisation rates are still low

Biggest issue is staff shortages due to absences caused by health professionals with covid or being close contacts
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,934

Post#362 » by BelgradeNugget » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:43 pm

Tomjas wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
I am Australian, double vaxxed and aware that being so is no guarantee that I won’t contract any of the variants

My only view on Joker is that he needs to comply with the same entry & quarantine requirements as everyone else

To put things into perspective, 2 friends of mine recently returned from overseas

They’re fully vaxxed + booster and tested negative before boarding their flight & upon arrival

2 weeks hotel quarantine

People here have no sympathy for anyone trying to game the system

We agree here, same rules for all 26 players who got medical exemption. But why are they trying to make it like it is only Djokovic? What if Simone Biles get medical exemption, she is American, would it be the same for her?
And one thing from European experience, these vaccines are not working for omicron, you will see in few weeks. Luckily majority of people don't need hospitals, stay at home

Biggest issue is staff shortages due to absences caused by health professionals with covid or being close contacts

Maybe it is time to stop tracing contacts because omicron won. Look at NBA 12 coaches are in protocols all were vaccinated. Anyway after AO 80% of Australians will get it, easy version I hope, with Djokovic or without him. Maybe you should cancel AO to prevent from speeding? :D Joking of course, enjoy event
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#363 » by Tomjas » Wed Jan 5, 2022 11:58 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Tomjas wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:

Maybe it is time to stop tracing contacts because omicron won. Look at NBA 12 coaches are in protocols all were vaccinated. Anyway after AO 80% of Australians will get it, easy version I hope, with Djokovic or without him. Maybe you should cancel AO to prevent from speeding? :D Joking of course, enjoy event

Australia is currently hosting a more important sporting event than the tennis and every participant complied with the entry rules

There’s absolutely no political mileage to be gained from an Australian politician relaxing those rules for one foreign resident
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,226

Post#364 » by brutalitops » Thu Jan 6, 2022 12:10 am

rzzzzz wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:Nerds on internet freak out "Y HE GET EXEMPTION"
:lol:

You mean the people living in Australia who grudgingly have put up with a lot of personal compromise? Yeah, they are a bit testy about an elite getting special treatment. Sort of predictable, no?

Yeah this. Like im 100% on board with the restrictions (We had 5 confirmed cases in my home state yesterday, thats our biggest number since like march last year) but in term we've had state closures ect. for 18-18 months because we've been waiting for a 90% double vax rate.

To have guys come in and get exemptions is kinda ****. Disagree/agree with the rules is fine but to bend them for people is shithouse. I had a massive relationship breakdown and havent been able to move back to my home state where I have a much bigger support network because of this ****, while it sucks ass, I understand because of a pretty delicate health system and a lot of the indigenous communitys up north will get absolutely slaughtered with covid going through them

It's not an anti serb thing, Hell Australia has a massive serbian population, It's a "We risked and gave up so much things to bank on the vaccine to save our health system" and to see people plainly dont give a **** is insulting.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#365 » by BelgradeNugget » Thu Jan 6, 2022 12:53 am

Australians should make rules to protect themselves and it is ok. But let's not pretend like he didn't followed rules too. He applied for medical exception. Anonymously. He got it like 26 other players. We don't know his medical history. He followed rules. If Australian government doesn’t want to let those 26 players in ok, their right, but let's not make it like - here is this crazy Novaxx, we will show him his place.
bb22
Starter
And1: 985

Post#366 » by bb22 » Thu Jan 6, 2022 1:57 am

The medical exemptions for a Covid mrna vaccine are myocarditis or severe allergic reaction to a previous dose. Since he never got a single dose, and he’s a healthy athlete, he has no case for medical exemption. Too bad. Go back home and smarten up.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#367 » by rzzzzz » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:10 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
When I wanted to learn about Americas elections I was looking at FOX and CNN. Different sources. If you want to know something about today look at CNN but also RT. So let's say just things are not always as we think.

So I’m not crazy about any of the 24/7 cable news outlets in the US. I feel like they spend too much time trying to enrage their audience, which results in some folks getting so addicted to the constant emotional reinforcement that its like a form of addiction. However, when you start talking about state sponsored cable news, which also spends considerable funds pumping propaganda into our already corrupted social media, I’m more than skeptical. I suspect Russia TV is Pravda with a corporate makeover.

I can’t speak for how Eastern Europe feels, but here, most folks spend little time differentiating between the hundreds of individual cultures that sports figures represent. Cameroon, Spain, Australia, the Caribbean, whatever. The only thing I know about Novak and Serbia is the story of him and two other kids practicing in a drained swimming pool. Plus a vague memory of an attractive woman who won the French(?) Is Jokic Serbian? I don’t know. I’m from Philly, and I think Embiid is a monster, but none of of us really had a beef with Jokic winning the mvp last year. He’s a terrific talent. Just like we’re not upset that the Greek Freak won it before that. Heck, its a great story, him developing himself and finally getting the right support to win a title. Novak’s PR is based squarely on his personality. I’m sure folks in Serbia all have their own personality. I’m not especially fixated on him, but on a casually level he strikes me as a bit complex. I’ve seen him do some sweet, lovable things. I’ve seen him looking intense. I don’t know why Federer and Nadal come across so well to so many fans, but it’s not because their Belgian and Spanish.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#368 » by BelgradeNugget » Thu Jan 6, 2022 3:59 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
When I wanted to learn about Americas elections I was looking at FOX and CNN. Different sources. If you want to know something about today look at CNN but also RT. So let's say just things are not always as we think.

So I’m not crazy about any of the 24/7 cable news outlets in the US. I feel like they spend too much time trying to enrage their audience, which results in some folks getting so addicted to the constant emotional reinforcement that its like a form of addiction. However, when you start talking about state sponsored cable news, which also spends considerable funds pumping propaganda into our already corrupted social media, I’m more than skeptical. I suspect Russia TV is Pravda with a corporate makeover.

I'm not saying Russia TV or Pravda are telling truth, far from it. Problem is people think they are terrible and propaganda, and CNN is just so-so. The fact is CNN = Russia TV. So if you want to create opinion based on facts you must watch them both to get information that they are hiding from you. You can't just take western media for granted. But you know what is funny, in western free world they are prohibiting RT, while on the east you can still watch CNN. And I'm not on this political channels, I avoid them as much as I can. That is all what I wanted to say, because one poster said "Europeans might have been taken aback somewhat because Bosnia and Kosovo were not distant memories to them" - so let's say just things are not always as we think

rzzzzz wrote:
I can’t speak for how Eastern Europe feels, but here, most folks spend little time differentiating between the hundreds of individual cultures that sports figures represent. Cameroon, Spain, Australia, the Caribbean, whatever. The only thing I know about Novak and Serbia is the story of him and two other kids practicing in a drained swimming pool. Plus a vague memory of an attractive woman who won the French(?) Is Jokic Serbian? I don’t know. I’m from Philly, and I think Embiid is a monster, but none of of us really had a beef with Jokic winning the mvp last year. He’s a terrific talent. Just like we’re not upset that the Greek Freak won it before that. Heck, its a great story, him developing himself and finally getting the right support to win a title. Novak’s PR is based squarely on his personality. I’m sure folks in Serbia all have their own personality. I’m not especially fixated on him, but on a casually level he strikes me as a bit complex. I’ve seen him do some sweet, lovable things. I’ve seen him looking intense. I don’t know why Federer and Nadal come across so well to so many fans, but it’s not because their Belgian and Spanish.

We agree here, :) I can't look at his victory celebrations, they are annoying to me. He is doing some things to help lover seeded players as I know. But again, all fans are not westerners, I have heard that Novak is most popular in China, don't know why but then he has some fans after all. So all I wanted to say is that some stereotypes like Novak has no fans don't stand.
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#369 » by HEKTOR » Thu Jan 6, 2022 6:21 pm

Curious to see what more comes out of this Djokovic situation. First it was that he applied for the wrong visa which seems hard to believe although possible. Then there are reports that 26 other players also received the same exemption and are in Australia, good to go. Finally, last I heard was a timeline that he didn't meet in regards to quarantining and that perhaps he thought the exemption would cover this? Too early to say what has happened and what is happening for sure but I'd like to think that with time we'll know more.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#370 » by Marmoset » Thu Jan 6, 2022 8:26 pm

About the 26 players thing: I've read in multiple places that 26 players and officials (not just players) applied for an exemption, but only two or three of them were actually granted the exemption. There is a lot floating around out there and it's hard to know what is true, but this would make more sense than allowing 26 people in and only denying Novak.

Two players who are unvaccinated have explicitly stated that they are not going to Australia as they would not meet the requirements. (Tennys Sandgren, Pierre-Hugues Herbert).
HEKTOR
Veteran
And1: 1,323

Post#371 » by HEKTOR » Thu Jan 6, 2022 8:29 pm

Marmoset wrote:About the 26 players thing: I've read in multiple places that 26 players and officials (not just players) applied for an exemption, but only two or three of them were actually granted the exemption. There is a lot floating around out there and it's hard to know what is true, but this would make more sense than allowing 26 people in and only denying Novak.

Two players who are unvaccinated have explicitly stated that they are not going to Australia as they would not meet the requirements. (Tennys Sandgren, Pierre-Hugues Herbert).

Yes, I too think it's hard to believe that they would only deny Novak.
Also hard to believe that Novak's team would have gotten this wrong so my guess is there was some miscommunication throughout the process which has led to this misunderstanding.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,495

Post#372 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 6, 2022 11:42 pm

So this is where this thread went! :lol:

Obviously right now emotions are high, but I feel compelled to comment, even if it's unwise.

Some observations:

1. I don't think anyone should be surprised when their refusal to get vaccinated becomes an issue for them with public policy. Regardless of whether you think this is what the public policy should be, we've all been living in this world for a while now. If you don't get vaccinated, there are all sorts of places where you can hit snags. In that sense, that's all there is to it. You can trumpet yourself as a martyr to doing what you think it's right, but if a lack of vaccination gets in the way of you doing something else, then you deciding not to get vaccinated better have been more important to you than whatever that other thing was.

2. The way things played out in Australia certainly seems suspect. Had they simply said "No" to Djokovic from the jump, that would be that, but he got on a played to Australia because someone said it was okay. While us average citizens are at the mercy of what someone at the airport decides, it should have been simply to avoid a situation where Djokovic ends up stuck in an Australian Hotel, and given the contradiction between what Tennis Australia said and what the Australian Government said, it makes it hard not to think political optics were central to the decisions that ended up being made. Those who make decisions based on those optics deserve criticism, and those involved with Tennis Australia likely deserve criticism for not clearing everything they needed to clear with those more powerful than themselves...though I think the embarrassment that Tennis Australia now faces is plenty of punishment.

3. On a certain level though, Djokovic did this to himself before there ever was a vaccine. Djokovic is the one who organized a multi-nation tournament in 2020 early in the Pandemic that literally acted as if the Pandemic was over, and as a result got many people sick with Covid. Djokovic thus isn't a guy who can be portrayed as merely someone who is uncomfortable with the vaccine.

He's THE guy in the tennis world known for being careless with other people's Covid, and so he was already radioactive on this topic.

4. And so I'll flat out admit that when I heard he got a vaccine exception by the Australian Open, it rubbed me the wrong way. You're obviously going to disagree with me if you think that the precautions governments are taking to try to save lives are worthless, but I don't, and I think saving lives is infinitely more important than a sporting event. I'm not the expert to judge whether he has a medical status that should warrant this - and so I wasn't going to say the Australian Open was definitively doing something wrong here - but to say that Djokovic lost the benefit of the doubt here a long time ago is something of an understatement. The idea that he could possibly get people sick again because he once again refused to take all the precautions to prevent his own contagiousness while jetsetting the world just seemed unethical to me.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,226

Post#373 » by brutalitops » Thu Jan 6, 2022 11:53 pm

Marmoset wrote:About the 26 players thing: I've read in multiple places that 26 players and officials (not just players) applied for an exemption, but only two or three of them were actually granted the exemption. There is a lot floating around out there and it's hard to know what is true, but this would make more sense than allowing 26 people in and only denying Novak.

I think they are reviewing them as well

As for what happened

You apply for exemption to enter the state, It's not a federal thing, but a state thing, Which he got granted for the state of Victoria

VISA's are auto generated, It's upto you to apply for the right one, which then gets checked. IE- working visa and you are not permitted to work, that will be checked at the airport, If you dont have the right VISA, you are detained/kicked out/visa is changed and let in. If you've done something very fishy, You are detained and kicked out

What can happen though is you can utterly refuse to leave, Its not like you can be forced onto a plane, This is where you head to detention, where you can wait/lodge court appeals and wait out in Australia as long as possible to stay (the Massive one we have is people from Iran coming in, claiming asylum and as soon as information gets out they practically have a death sentance back home so it can lead to people spending a LONG time locked up just for fleeing, Yeah its not a great system, infact its pretty **** for someone genuinely fleeing)

Seems like Djokovic has entered, Wrong visa, asked to leave and hes instead demanded to stay, launched legal action and going the martyr route. Which is fine, However the country courts dont rush these things, So he wont get the special treatment hes probably accustomed to
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#374 » by Marmoset » Fri Jan 7, 2022 1:09 am

brutalitops wrote:

I think they are reviewing them as well

As for what happened

You apply for exemption to enter the state, It's not a federal thing, but a state thing, Which he got granted for the state of Victoria

VISA's are auto generated, It's upto you to apply for the right one, which then gets checked. IE- working visa and you are not permitted to work, that will be checked at the airport, If you dont have the right VISA, you are detained/kicked out/visa is changed and let in. If you've done something very fishy, You are detained and kicked out

What can happen though is you can utterly refuse to leave, Its not like you can be forced onto a plane, This is where you head to detention, where you can wait/lodge court appeals and wait out in Australia as long as possible to stay (the Massive one we have is people from Iran coming in, claiming asylum and as soon as information gets out they practically have a death sentance back home so it can lead to people spending a LONG time locked up just for fleeing, Yeah its not a great system, infact its pretty **** for someone genuinely fleeing)

Seems like Djokovic has entered, Wrong visa, asked to leave and hes instead demanded to stay, launched legal action and going the martyr route. Which is fine, However the country courts dont rush these things, So he wont get the special treatment hes probably accustomed to

Thanks for the info! Your last sentence gets to what is at the heart of the issue for most people - special treatment. If you've followed the rules for two years and then someone is getting special treatment because they can hit a fluffy ball over a net better than everyone else, that just doesn't sit well. Especially with the strict rules in Australia that went much further than anything in here in North America.

Really, the Australian Open and the state should have known better and anticipated this reaction, and never approved the exemption in the first place. As should Novak.

Novak should also realize that this problem is not going away. We heard what the President of France just said about the unvaccinated - does he want to play Roland Garros? He will continue to have problems getting into tournaments all over the world if he holds to his position. Whether he thinks it's fair or not, that's the reality.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,732

Post#375 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 7, 2022 4:33 am

Some info:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,732

Post#376 » by G R E Y » Fri Jan 7, 2022 4:45 am

But also, ooooooh geeeeeeeeez would you LOOK at this absolute turnip!
Read on Twitter

It's no wonder he gets no benefit of the doubt. He comes across as someone in a cult or something, like they know they have the answers like he's some guru or something, on the true path. **** off. I'm really not the shut up and play fan, but holy moly should he ever just shut it.

Never really had a chance at normal, though. Here's his wife:
Read on Twitter

An whit his parents doing that presser earlier where his mom's all he's in a prison! and his dad's all Serbia stands with you, it's not just one man it's for the seven billion people, we call for a riot like everyone else who's in not the best hotel isn't also there for similar reasons? Like Novax is some sort of special messiah type? This isn't sensitive soft politics begging for a life and freedom because your son who was doing the Lord's work got caught in North Korea, ok?

Jesus. Look who he's surrounded by. No context for normal whatsoever.

And other players, current and former, are not so subtly weighing in, basically saying you made your bed:

Rafa:
Read on Twitter

Chrissy:
Read on Twitter

lmao!

and Mary Carillo:
"The people of Flint, Michigan would love to hear that news," Mary Carillo said after hearing the Serbian's claim that "molecules in the water react to our emotions to what has been said."

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/djokovic-backs-idea-of-turning-polluted-water-into-the-most-healing

Be strong, sad clown, own your truth!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#377 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri Jan 7, 2022 1:38 pm

Marmoset wrote:
Thanks for the info! Your last sentence gets to what is at the heart of the issue for most people - special treatment. If you've followed the rules for two years and then someone is getting special treatment because they can hit a fluffy ball over a net better than everyone else, that just doesn't sit well. Especially with the strict rules in Australia that went much further than anything in here in North America.

Really, the Australian Open and the state should have known better and anticipated this reaction, and never approved the exemption in the first place. As should Novak.

Novak should also realize that this problem is not going away. We heard what the President of France just said about the unvaccinated - does he want to play Roland Garros? He will continue to have problems getting into tournaments all over the world if he holds to his position. Whether he thinks it's fair or not, that's the reality.

I think special treatment is in the hearth of the problem here. Special treatment pro or against Djokovic. If they treated him the same way as any other person we wouldn't have this problem. He waited to get permission, same as other unvaccinated players based on rules they were presented. Some of those players are in Australia for 1 month. Why is he different?
If great country of France (not President of France because I think it is not on him to make decision) decide to not allow unvaccinated people to enter, than rules are clear it is on Novak, will he get a vaccine and play on Roland Garros or not.
I'm vaccinated, I never had any scary allergic reaction. Some people had. I have read Wiggins interview, he was vaccinated because he was forced to do it, and was scarred as **** doing it. I guess Zhaire Smith would be scared as **** too. Listen to Jonathan Isaac, interesting.
Look at this similar to Kyrie situation. He can't play in NY. OK. What it would look like if he was not allowed to play in Indiana because he is famous antivaxxer, flat-earther with weird beliefs? Not good I guess.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#378 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri Jan 7, 2022 1:54 pm

G R E Y wrote:
It's no wonder he gets no benefit of the doubt. He comes across as someone in a cult or something, like they know they have the answers like he's some guru or something, on the true path. **** off. I'm really not the shut up and play fan, but holy moly should he ever just shut it.
An whit his parents doing that presser earlier where his mom's all he's in a prison! and his dad's all Serbia stands with you, it's not just one man it's for the seven billion people, we call for a riot like everyone else who's in not the best hotel isn't also there for similar reasons? Like Novax is some sort of special messiah type? This isn't sensitive soft politics begging for a life and freedom because your son who was doing the Lord's work got caught in North Korea, ok?

Jesus. Look who he's surrounded by. No context for normal whatsoever.

and Mary Carillo:
"The people of Flint, Michigan would love to hear that news," Mary Carillo said after hearing the Serbian's claim that "molecules in the water react to our emotions to what has been said."

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/djokovic-backs-idea-of-turning-polluted-water-into-the-most-healing

Be strong, sad clown, own your truth!

Just my opinion on this:

1. It is very embarrassing for someone like his father or family to try to make this being national security thing, Serbians against the world or similar ****. It is Novak/Australian government/ATP embarrassment.

2. His family has strange beliefs, like Kyrie, but let's not burn them for their beliefs. I mean, you can find all sorts of strange theories everywhere. I read in one book that in the past there were giants on earth, people who lived 900 years, a virgin mother born a child, he walked on the water, make wine of water, healed sick with his touch, died, resurrect...
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,694

Post#379 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jan 7, 2022 3:59 pm

Just read a long post on another site, which I tempted to copy/plagiarize, but instead will just try to summarize. Briefly, this post claims that it was some smart guy from South Africa who came up with an idea of how to issue “Australian” exemptions, despite the fact that it didn’t take into account the actual requirements now in place for anybody to actually get through Australian customs. And the Djokovic and like 26 other non-jabbing tennis players honestly thought they were applying for exemptions originating with the Australian Tennis Association itself, and hopped on planes when they were informed it was OK.

I cannot vouch for the veracity of this. But I wondered if anybody else heard this, or some other variation.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#380 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri Jan 7, 2022 4:34 pm

"CZECH PLAYER RENATA VORACOVA HAS VISA CANCELLED, DETAINED IN SAME IMMIGRATION HOTEL AS NOVAK DJOKOVIC - REPORTS
World number one Novak Djokovic is detained at the Park Hotel after being refused entry to Australia ahead of the Open, and he has now been joined by Renata Voracova. The Czech veteran has had her visa cancelled according to reports and is now at the same accommodation after being told to leave the country.
ABC has reported that the player had already competed in a warm-up event in Melbourne, but was detained by Australian Border Force on Thursday. She is now at the Park Hotel in Carlton."
https://www.eurosport.com/tennis/australian-open/2022/czech-player-renata-voracova-has-visa-cancelled-detained-in-same-hotel-as-novak-djokovic-reports_sto8696407/story.shtml

Return to General Other Sports Talk