OT. Max Verstappen wins first F1 championship in a crazy miraculous finish

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

OT. Max Verstappen wins first F1 championship in a crazy miraculous finish 

Post#1 » by UcanUwill » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:06 pm

Sorry, I always very anxious at making threads, especially OT ones, but screw it, does anyone watch this?

Max and Lewis are all tied, who will be the champion? Would 8th. championship make Hamilton GOAT, or would youngest championship set Max to GOAT career?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Re: OT. Max Verstappen wins first F1 championship in a crazy miraculous finish 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Lewis dominated entire race, had pace advantage, but racing gods shined to Max this afternoon. Latifi crashes which leads to safety car 5 laps left into the race, marshals make track safe for one restart lap, and Max with new tires opertakes Lewis only few turns away from a checker flag.

This was one of the craziest sporting turnarounds I have ever seen. The crazier was probably only another F1 championship race, were Hamiltons won over Massa in the last lap as well, but it wasnt a head to head overtake, this one. Wow, one of the craziest things you will ever see.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#3 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Not a big fan of racing sports but some of my family members really care about it. Cool to see a different champion. Good for the sport
Apse4
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#4 » by Apse4 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:53 pm

Not a fan of any of drivers ,but maFIA ruined race with weird rules.
Yinwest
Rookie
And1: 1,485

Post#5 » by Yinwest » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:54 pm

10 laps to go, Lewis with a 11 seconds lead.
Christian Horner said they need a miracle….. well there you go. :lol:
dzumaal
Junior
And1: 324

Post#6 » by dzumaal » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:54 pm

Somewhat keeping an eye on F1 so I'll be up to date when the next great finnish driver arrives.

Was rooting for Hamilton. Verstappen doesn't care about safety of others or the rules. If he was a back of the grid driver with those antics they wouldn't even allow him there.
Golden Knight
Analyst
And1: 4,965

Post#7 » by Golden Knight » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:55 pm

That was absolute madness!

2007 was my favorite season but this season is up there.
Apse4
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#8 » by Apse4 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:56 pm

Sergio MVP of the race tho.
Yinwest
Rookie
And1: 1,485

Post#9 » by Yinwest » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:57 pm

Apse4 wrote:Sergio MVP of the race tho.

Oh yeah.
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#10 » by DutchManDanFan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:01 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Lewis dominated entire race, had pace advantage, but racing gods shined to Max this afternoon. Latifi crashes which leads to safety car 5 laps left into the race, marshals make track safe for one restart lap, and Max with new tires opertakes Lewis only few turns away from a checker flag.

This was one of the craziest sporting turnarounds I have ever seen. The crazier was probably only another F1 championship race, were Hamiltons won over Massa in the last lap as well, but it wasnt a head to head overtake, this one. Wow, one of the craziest things you will ever see.

Don't forget to mention the first lap where Max takes over Hamilton, but somehow Lewis is allowed to take a short cut.
Bu who cares. :rockon:
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#11 » by UcanUwill » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:09 pm

dzumaal wrote:Somewhat keeping an eye on F1 so I'll be up to date when the next great finnish driver arrives.

Was rooting for Hamilton. Verstappen doesn't care about safety of others or the rules. If he was a back of the grid driver with those antics they wouldn't even allow him there.

I undertand this opinion, and I get most texbook fans like Hamilton more, but that what makes Max so great, he is taking on every chance no matter how risky, kid is a different animal, and to me, as casual fan its nice seeing someone with noticeably very different driving style, in a sport, were most of top 20 guys are so good they all become a wash cause everyone drives with the same centimeter to centimeter precision. This was the case for years, where driver does all the work, but at the end they are all so good that they become irrelevant and at the end its just the car that matters. This wasnt the case with Max and Lewis, sure RedBulll and especiall;y mercedes were best cars, but still they are so much better than their teammates, who drive the same car, we really see two all timers here. And I do wonder how much of it is the fact Mercedes is optimized just for Lewis where RedBull is optimized just for Max, but man the difference shouldn't be that big. When you look how Lewis overtakes everyone easier than cracking a pistacios with his Mercedes, while Bottas cant do anything of the sort, and for Max, he just takes on every posssible gap to take an advantage, being very risky, a mad man at times, but you cant deny his brilliance, he would not be relevant with most cars probably, he is World champion and not back of the grind not just because hes on great car.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#12 » by UcanUwill » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Apse4 wrote:Sergio MVP of the race tho.

That was amazing.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,205

Post#13 » by Sgt Major » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:46 pm

**** LEWIS HAMILTON
I bloody hate the guy since day 1, can't stand him.

Now, on more serious note, what a damn race! Perez in an absolute hero.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Post#14 » by HMFFL » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Great race and sport.
The final minutes was amazing.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,848

Post#15 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:56 pm

Weird rules in F1, Lewis got the short end of that stick
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#16 » by UcanUwill » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:00 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:Weird rules in F1, Lewis got the short end of that stick

The problem and why Mercedes are appealing it seems, is that race director didnt follow the rules. All back markers suppose to regain lost lap at the end of safety car, but they only allowed back markers between Lewis and Max to get out of the way, because they were running out of laps and wanted to finish the race and season racing and not behind safety car. They simply had no laps left to let all back markers go, so they made rules on a spot.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#17 » by queridiculo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:01 pm

WWE type finish in Formula 1.

Absolute disgrace of a decision by the race director, but I don't expect the protests lodged by Mercedes to go anywhere.

Verstappen's first title clearly tainted and the fans are the losers having been robbed of a truly legendary finish either way.

What a farce.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#18 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:06 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

The problem and why Mercedes are appealing it seems, is that race director didnt follow the rules. All back markers suppose to regain lost lap at the end of safety car, but they only allowed back markers between Lewis and Max to get out of the way, because they were running out of laps and wanted to finish the race and season racing and not behind safety car. They simply had no laps left to let all back markers go, so they made rules on a spot.

I've been watching F1 every weekend for about 4 years now and that ending didn't seem right

I'm not even a big Lewis homer or anything, but it was bizarre that they put Max in a supremely advantageous position like that. Lewis might as well have pitted if they were going to let him drive back up to the front and retake his position

It's all Latifi's fault at the end of the day
JShuttlesworth
General Manager

Post#19 » by JShuttlesworth » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:06 pm

queridiculo wrote:WWE type finish in Formula 1.

Absolute disgrace of a decision by the race director, but I don't expect the protests lodged by Mercedes to go anywhere.

Verstappen's first title clearly tainted and the fans are the losers having been robbed of a truly legendary finish either way.

What a farce.

Agreed
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#20 » by queridiculo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:09 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I've been watching F1 every weekend for about 4 years now and that ending didn't seem right

I'm not even a big Lewis homer or anything, but it was bizarre that they put Max in a supremely advantageous position like that. Lewis might as well have pitted if they were going to let him drive back up to the front and retake his position

It's all Latifi's fault at the end of the day

The farce of it is that Mercedes deliberately did not pit Hamilton because of what the rules say about lapped cars under safety car.

Return to General Other Sports Talk