OT: World 1 tennis player Ash Barty retires aged 25

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,677

OT: World 1 tennis player Ash Barty retires aged 25 

Post#1 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:39 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

She has been world number 1 since 2019 and is the defending Wimbledon and AO champion. She has a massive lead in the WTA rankings. Has a Michael Jordan first retirement feel, though his was bigger obviously.

Good luck Ash. A humble, down-to-earth champion.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Re: OT: World 1 tennis player Ash Barty retires aged 25 

Post#2 » by homecourtloss » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:45 am

Wow, that is a shocker. Wonder if she’s about to have a kid and wants to settle down.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#3 » by BoatsNZones » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:48 am

First time I ever noticed her name on ESPN.com was tonight (and I've never noticed her on TV). Surprised she was such a non-star for being a young/multi-year reigning #1.

Good for her though. Dominated the game and still has plenty of time to make a return in a year or two (in her prime) if the hunger comes back.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#4 » by dlts20 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:58 am

BoatsNZones wrote:First time I ever noticed her name on ESPN.com was tonight (and I've never noticed her on TV). Surprised she was such a non-star for being a young/multi-year reigning #1.

Good for her though. Dominated the game and still has plenty of time to make a return in a year or two (in her prime) if the hunger comes back.

Lmao. Same thing I was about to post. I've never heard of her and I used to be the biggest tennis fan. Was even thinking about placing my daughter in it. Good luck though. I'm glad it's just retirement because for some reason I thought it read that she died. Blessings to her and her family
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,034

Post#5 » by mediocrityrules » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:00 am

It's fine. She'll have a couple of years playing minor league baseball and come right back out of retirement.
Circling calendars since 2021
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 am

BoatsNZones wrote:First time I ever noticed her name on ESPN.com was tonight (and I've never noticed her on TV). Surprised she was such a non-star for being a young/multi-year reigning #1.

Very humble player. Beloved on tour. Stays out of the news. She got engaged in November to the man who brought her out of retirement the first time - when she was 15 and on the verge of greatness. 25 is a great age to start a family. Admire her for going out on top as the defending AO (home grand slam) and Wimbledon champion.

“Barty's current reign as No.1 is the fourth-longest streak in the history of the Hologic WTA Tour, behind Steffi Graf (186 weeks), Serena Williams (186) and Martina Navratilova (156).
Her 121 total weeks are No.7 of all-time. Barty becomes the second reigning World No.1 ranked woman to retire while on top, following Justine Henin, who retired in May of 2008, after 61 consecutive weeks at No.1.“

She is so far in front of the WTA rankings, she will still be number 1 till Wimbledon.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,894

Post#7 » by theforumblue » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:13 am

so is naomi osaka way better than her or something?
screw these absolute garbage refs
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,884

Post#8 » by LoveMyRaps » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:13 am

Because she wasn’t a drama queen like Osaka.
She was just a special talent that took care of business on the court & was as humble as they come.

Female tennis lost a good one today. Best female tennis player I’ve seen since Serena.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:16 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:

She was just a special talent that took care of business on the court & was as humble as they come.

Female tennis lost a good one today. Best female tennis player I’ve seen since Serena.

Her drinking a beer on court after winning the Aussie pretty much sums up her laid-back attitude.
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,689

Post#10 » by NbaAllDay » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:17 am

LordCovington33 wrote:

Very humble player. Beloved on tour. Stays out of the news. She got engaged in November to the man who brought her out of retirement the first time - when she was 15 and on the verge of greatness. 25 is a great age to start a family. Admire her for going out on top as the defending AO (home grand slam) and Wimbledon champion.

“Barty's current reign as No.1 is the fourth-longest streak in the history of the Hologic WTA Tour, behind Steffi Graf (186 weeks), Serena Williams (186) and Martina Navratilova (156).
Her 121 total weeks are No.7 of all-time. Barty becomes the second reigning World No.1 ranked woman to retire while on top, following Justine Henin, who retired in May of 2008, after 61 consecutive weeks at No.1.“

She is so far in front of the WTA rankings, she will still be number 1 till Wimbledon.

Pretty much this, quiet and young Aussie who doesn't make a peep in the social world or had an ounce of drama to her. Funny to see that the best player in the World in global sport is fairly unknown.

Kind of sad to see that Athletes of today need to have a level of drama surrounding them or a very out their personality to actually be noticed.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,871

Post#11 » by LakersLegacy » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:19 am

Didn’t pay attention to tennis during the pandemic. Never noticed her. Seems young to retire
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#12 » by tarantism » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:24 am

theforumblue wrote:so is naomi osaka way better than her or something?
Green font?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,922

Post#13 » by AussieCeltic » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:40 am

She’s an absolute legend. Such a humble person and true blue Australian.

Surprised so many haven’t heard of her since she’s been #1 for quite some time.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
Koreandoo
Junior
And1: 797

Post#14 » by Koreandoo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:59 am

Like Magdalena Neuner (biathlon) was dominating her sport and retired with 25. It’s understandable you won everything but your body is not broken. Some people like to end it while they are still good, absolutely understandable the same goes for people playing until they are reaching the 40s if they have fun and can play thats great too.
Badlands
Sixth Man
And1: 1,881

Post#15 » by Badlands » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:19 am

I'm a big tennis fan and like everything about Ash Barty. However, comparing her to all-time greats is really pushing it. The big time prize in tennis is winning Grand Slams. Barty has only won 3. Serena has 23 (8 by Ash's age). Steffi had 15 of her 22 by Ash's age and Evert had 11 of 18. Naomi Osaka is a year and a half younger and has won 4.

That said, it's a big loss for women's tennis. She's always been a class act.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#16 » by dlts20 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:27 am

tarantism wrote:
Green font?

Dude that isn't no green font. You can say that barty is better but don't act like he asked a crazy question. Osaka has also been #1, has more grand slams, and has beaten her h2h multiple times. Osaka is just wayyyyyy too sensitive. She was crying all last week and lost a match just because a fan yelled "you suck"
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,484

Post#17 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:31 am

dlts20 wrote:
tarantism wrote:
Green font?

Dude that isn't no green font. You can say that barty is better but don't act like he asked a crazy question. Osaka has also been #1, has more grand slams, and has beaten her h2h multiple times. Osaka is just wayyyyyy too sensitive. She was crying all last week and lost a match just because a fan yelled "you suck"

Dude she is always crying like its annoying at this point lmao
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#18 » by Jables » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:02 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:

Uh what? Osaka a drama queen because she pulled out of a tournament? Get off ESPN lol
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by LordCovington33 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:10 am

:-? This thread deteriorated quickly

She’s not an all-time great but she’s in her prime and has 15 singles titles since 2019. A “what if” story like Bjorg who retired with 11 slams at the age of 26. Not as dominant as him obviously, but a what-if story nonetheless.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#20 » by queridiculo » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:31 am

If you've been around the sport and understand how much work goes into making it onto the circuit it's surprising that you don't see more of these athletes burned out by their mid 20s.

Return to General Other Sports Talk