Wimbledon Men's Finals discussion thread

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Re: Wimbledon Men's Finals discussion thread 

Post#21 » by El Turco » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:20 pm

wow, that was epic. this has to be the year of Spain.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#22 » by GQStylin » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:27 pm

I feel pretty sad right now. Feels like the end of the Federer era.......or at least the beginning of the end. :cry:
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by GQStylin » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:33 pm

Damn.....sad to see Roger tearing up while being interviewed by McEnroe and then Johnny gives him a hug. :cry:
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#24 » by 5DOM » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:39 pm

What a game.. what a game......... just unbelievable what these guys bring every year
Flagrant Foul
Rookie
And1: 32

Post#25 » by Flagrant Foul » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:43 pm

Amazing.
The Eminence
RealGM
And1: 4,026

Post#26 » by The Eminence » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:44 pm

Way to go Nadal, fantastic final. Well deserved victory!
Tomas_11
Sixth Man
And1: 145

Post#27 » by Tomas_11 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 8:44 pm

i think this was the best match i've ever seen in my life. no doubt i'm only 18 but this was epic. good to see nadal beat federer(finally) on a surface other than clay in the most prestigious grand slam event. I watched basically all the match and waited all the rain delays but it was definitely worth it. Federer still owns the hardcourts so don't ever count him out. i guess u can say nadal has become as great of a grass court player as federer has
aaqubed
RealGM
And1: 830

Post#28 » by aaqubed » Sun Jul 6, 2008 9:09 pm

Wow. This was...amazing. Fed did make a number of unforced errors, but even so, this was the greatest match I have ever seen.

This has to be tough for Federer. He hasn't won any majors yet this year. Even if he wins the US Open, it will be his worst year in a long time.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by GQStylin » Sun Jul 6, 2008 9:21 pm

Tomas_11 wrote:i think this was the best match i've ever seen in my life. no doubt i'm only 18 but this was epic. good to see nadal beat federer(finally) on a surface other than clay in the most prestigious grand slam event. I watched basically all the match and waited all the rain delays but it was definitely worth it. Federer still owns the hardcourts so don't ever count him out. i guess u can say nadal has become as great of a grass court player as federer has

I wouldn't say Nadal is as great on grass as Federer just yet as Roger still has four more titles on Rafa. But he's certainly on his way to becoming it. Also I guess if Roger had to lose to someone at Wimbledon, then its fitting that it was to Nadal now that its pretty clear that Rafa is the heir to Roger's throne eventually.

But Roger did have his chances though. That 2nd set he had God knows how many chances to get a break on Nadal's serve, but couldn't do it. Too many UEs and his serve wasn't bulletproof as it use to be. If he could have done it to make it 1-1, I think he may have won this match, but to ask Roger to come back from 2-0 down, it was too much today. Nadal was only broken once the whole match, so when he finally broke Roger in the 5th, I knew it was over. :(

Sad to see Roger lose. Really wanted Federer make history and beat Borg's 5 straight Wimbly titles and also get one title closer to breaking Sampras' grandslams record. Now I'm not sure if he can win the US Open at all and it would be a first time in who knows how many years that Federer hasn't won at least on grandslam title in a year. :( And it was heartbreaking to see him in tears being interviewed by Johnny Mac and he cut it short so Roger could leave. :(
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#30 » by WEFFPIM » Sun Jul 6, 2008 9:26 pm

One of the best matches I've ever seen, and I didn't even see the 4th set tiebreak.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,470

Post#31 » by Slava » Sun Jul 6, 2008 9:48 pm

This is epic. The best game I've watched since the 2002 final (Ivanisevic vs Pat Rafter). Nadal's career has taken a new dimension now with this win and he's officially chasing Federer's records from now on.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#32 » by Ong_dynasty » Sun Jul 6, 2008 10:10 pm

This has to be up there with one of the best sporting events...
Amazing game..
As a Nadal Fan watching it with a good friend of mine who was a Federer Fan it coudn't have been better...

I remember seeing nadal at 18 and always hoping he could get to this level but never would have thought he would. Even Last year I was always a Nadal fan but kind of accepted Federer will be considered a better player when all is said and done..

Now I can't say that....

To win the back-to-back is just amazing..(ROLAND GARROS and WIMBLEDON)..

I really do hope Rafa becomes a force on Hard now..
Because by the way its looking Rafa is where Federer is in Grass while Federer still needs so much more to get to Nadal's level in Clay
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#33 » by The Duke » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:47 am

simply amazing.

-One of the best ive seen from a pure talent and entertainment value for a GS Final
- Still trying to figure out how I rate it vs the Pistol Pete sickness marathon at the US Open years ago.

4th set-tie-break was epic
Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#34 » by Holmes » Mon Jul 7, 2008 4:24 am

No sporting event should ever take 5 hours long to complete. Perhaps this is why I prefer the women's 3 set game. As epic as the match was filled with some jaw-dropping shots and exciting tie-breaks, by the end of the fourth set my interest in the match was tiring. Congrats to Nadal though.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#35 » by BlackMamba » Mon Jul 7, 2008 1:26 pm

wow, what an amazing game, it was really an epic battle and a classic of tennis. two great players, great? superb players gave us some eye candy and showed us technique, heart, poise and class.

i wanted federer to win, so i feel bad for him, he's had a pretty bad year (terrible?) i don't know if he's going into a relaxed phase or if he's in the end of his dominant era.

on the other hand nadal looks great, he's finally conquered his ghosts and is starting to climb the ladder to #1 faster and harder. you have to admire his will and determination to beat federer on grass. every point he seemed extremely focused.

for federer the final tournaments of the year, specially us open, will be a very tough time for him, he has a lot of pressure to win it and to show himself again as the dominant #1 he has been for the last 4 years.

for nadal it's his momentum to see how he will take on the next rivals and courts.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,953

Post#36 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 7, 2008 2:33 pm

Great Wimbledon on both men and women's sides. Everything I've wanted to say has already been said, but man...I just can't get over how exciting the last two weeks have been for the sport of Tennis. This more than makes up for the uneventful Roland Garros this year.
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#37 » by SashAlex » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:04 am

One word - great !

Return to General Other Sports Talk