US Open thread

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Tomato
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Re: US Open thread 

Post#21 » by Tomato » Fri Sep 5, 2008 3:03 am

HAHAHAHA @ injuries!!
by Shoon.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#22 » by BlackMamba » Fri Sep 5, 2008 4:03 pm

Tomato wrote:Novak pnwed!

:roll: 6-2, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (5)

and i'm hoping for another federer-nadal final, they won't have easy semifinal matches, more for federer, but i'm positive they will reatch the final and maybe federer can (finally) beat nadal this year.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#23 » by Duiz » Sun Sep 7, 2008 7:19 am

I have Djokovic... glad he is done!
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by BlackMamba » Sun Sep 7, 2008 10:20 pm

well murray with a very good game eliminates nadal in 2 days.

this time nadal was the one fighting for his life while murray always looked calm and in control. it will be a very interesting match.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#25 » by Marmoset » Sun Sep 7, 2008 11:36 pm

BlackMamba wrote:well murray with a very good game eliminates nadal in 2 days.

this time nadal was the one fighting for his life while murray always looked calm and in control. it will be a very interesting match.

Nadal looked really worn down towards the end. I guess nobody's perfect, although he hasn't been far off for the last few months!

The final should be great - I expect Murray to give Roger a good fight, but Roger should come out on top. Of course that could just be the Federer fan in me.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,470

Post#26 » by Slava » Mon Sep 8, 2008 12:01 am

Well I kinda like saw that coming and Andy Murray played a very very good game. Other than his mistakes in the game where he had like 7 break points, he was pretty solid and didn't put a foot wrong most the time. He deserves this and if he does manage to beat Federer, which I hope he will, he will have a much deserved launch pad for his career.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#27 » by Ong_dynasty » Mon Sep 8, 2008 10:05 am

Am i the only one that wanted another federer V nadal final..Murray had to ruin it.
But I have alot of respect for Murray now. there is now 3 tiers in Tennis
Nadal and Federer
Novak and Murray

The rest
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by BlackMamba » Mon Sep 8, 2008 2:20 pm

well, i think everyone (and by everyone i mean everyone) wanted another nadal-federer final, even federer said he wanted to face nadal, but i think that with murray it will also be a good match because federer will be looking to end this bad year with a win and get his confidence back for next year and murray will want to win his first major.

i say federer in 4.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,653

Post#29 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Sep 8, 2008 2:42 pm

Sigh. Take a look at this headline from espn about Serena:

If you're wondering how much this U.S. Open title meant to Serena Williams, look no further than her euphoric celebration. After a scintillating win over Jelena Jankovic in the final, Serena has reclaimed the No. 1 ranking and may very well be stronger than ever

'stronger than ever' wtf? Since when is winning 1 major in her last 7 tries superior to winning 4 majors in a row? Evidently since now, when people decided they wanted to generate some hype.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by BlackMamba » Mon Sep 8, 2008 5:07 pm

i wonder why they would have said if jankovic had won it.

and maybe they said she's stronger than ever because they meassured her arms?
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by BlackMamba » Mon Sep 8, 2008 10:07 pm

i've only watched the 2nd set and it's been a good one, murray with a lot of energy and with the desire to win the game, but federer is too much, althouth he has made some errors at the net.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by BlackMamba » Tue Sep 9, 2008 12:42 am

great game by federer, specially that 3rd set he looked unstoppable. i'm really glad he finally won a mayor this year and i'm hoping to see him back at the top.

oh, and 1 away from sampras.
Windmill
Senior
And1: 1

Post#33 » by Windmill » Tue Sep 9, 2008 2:29 am

US Open Grand Slam Men's Finals....yet no coverage on any of the Canadian networks. I know that the rain delay pushed the finals over to Monday but to have no channel cover it is just truly sad.

Did CBS cover this game over in the US?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#34 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Sep 9, 2008 6:43 am

Windmill wrote:US Open Grand Slam Men's Finals....yet no coverage on any of the Canadian networks. I know that the rain delay pushed the finals over to Monday but to have no channel cover it is just truly sad.

Did CBS cover this game over in the US?

I'm certain they did but I was at work so couldn't tell you first hand. Sucks for you, but it is a sign of a general trend that sucks for all of us. It's very frustrating to me how in the past 30 years tennis has gone from being bigger than basketball to a niche sport that envies MMA for visibility. Part of the problem is the incompetent way professional tennis is run and marketed, but even fixing that now, it'll take some truly transcendent starts to make headway back in the right direction.

GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#35 » by GQStylin » Tue Sep 9, 2008 7:02 am

I'm glad that Federer won, but I missed two-thirds of the match because no one was showing it on regular TV!! :evil: I only tuned in after the local news was talking about it and then I couldn't find it anywhere but on the net. F**K! Can't believe they wouldn't show it anywhere up here in Canada. :-? :(

Stupid CBS was showing some stupid God knows what show that I don't remember instead of the finals and TSN shows whatever instead too. I think it might have been on the new TSN 2 channel, but of course that channel isn't carried by any major cable netwokr in Ontario. :roll:

Except for Wimbledon where coverage is better, I can't believe how little respect tennis gets these days and how little TV time it gets. Even just a couple of years ago there was more coverage on regular TV, but now it seems like everything trumps tennis. :cry: :( But stil glad Federer finally won one this year. Good to see him be so excited over it still. :)
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#36 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:10 pm

And this was the last year it was going to air on USA as well. Anyone know where the early rounds are going?
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
Tomas_11
Sixth Man
And1: 145

Post#37 » by Tomas_11 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Nadal will be back at the U.S. Open next year but playing in the final instead. Great win by Federer, but will he break the record next year?
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,636

Post#38 » by GQStylin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:11 am

If the mono doesn't get him and he's recovered, I think he can win the Aussie again and maybe Wimbledon and US too, so tying or breaking Sampras' record is possible, although I wouldn't bet money that he will do it for sure next year.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#39 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:35 am

Will be very interesting to see what happens next year. Federer winning the US Open indicates he's mono-free, however the US Open may very well be the major he matches up best against Nadal. The Australian is closer to clay than the US is, so I could easily see Nadal breaking through on that next.

So no, far from a sure thing that Federer breaks the record next year.

BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by BlackMamba » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:08 am

it would be great to see federer win the australian open and tie sampras and then booom! win roland garros and break it!!!

Return to General Other Sports Talk