Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Re: Lesson to learn 

Post#21 » by esvl » Sun May 7, 2023 3:46 am

SD2042 wrote:
esvl wrote:
SD2042 wrote:I will say this. This season the Grizzlies went through should serve as a cautionary tale to know your limits. Know the difference between confidence and arrogance. That's been the Grizzlies issue thus earning the reputation of most hated team in the league. Unfortunately, it's well deserved as some fans of other NBA teams will continue to remind the Grizzlies for the remainder. To the embarrassing defeat in the playoffs, it's karmatic as it should serve as a sobering experience and lesson this young Grizzlies team should take to heart. It's time to grow up.

As for the aftermath, I still believe this team is well part of the future for many years. As long as they realize how much advantages they have as a young team with more playoff experiences. They will need to humble themselves in a serious way. Learn how to navigate the game much better as they did this season. Approach the trash talk on the hardwood and leave it there. Never give the media any soundbites that will come back as a haunted ghost and walk you down to the abyss. Learn better productive ways to get better as players. Coaches need to learn better strategies to help your players win games. Accountability and discipline must be emphasis better with this team. So I expect the organization to take a long look in the mirror this offseason and make decisions to how to approach next season with a strong mindset, but as players individually.

There are 30 good teams in this league, in case you haven’t noticed. If you want your small crappy franchise to beat all of them, you should allow your young core to feel ambitious and equal to the proven stars. That’s how it works in real life: you challenge yourself, then you challenge the leaders, you go over the limits, that is how you get a chance to become the one. You will be hated by your competitors - it’s ok - it is an indication that they are afraid of you. If you want to stay a good boy/girl and be humble, not to irritate those on the top, that’s the path to the hole of nowhere.

The point here is that while it's great to hold confidence in yourself all the time. It doesn't mean you get to the point of allowing the ego to take over in the driver's seat and drive you over the edge to an arrogant defeat. That's what I meant by know your limits. Trash talk will always be part of the game. That part is not the issue. The issue is bringing the trash talk into the media setting, thus indirectly placing pressure on yourself and the team if the team fails to back it up. Unfortunately what did happened in the series against the Lakers. The cautionary tale to learn from is to never give the media a soundbite that may come back to haunt you at the wrong time.

That said, this team still has youth on their side. This journey is full of experiences both good and bad. On the goods, keep capitalizing on them and be accountable, tactful, and have some fun while doing what they do best. On the bad, learn from those mistakes, work even harder than necessary, take those next steps to redemption starting next season. Right now, they just need to reflect and keep working on that canvas that will one day turn into their own masterpiece.

I am just amazed how quickly ordinary fans instead of giving support and loyalty go a full moral expert mode. Why on Earth we are even discussing the moral or ego part of guys behaviour? These are OUR guys who really wanted to win - all they needed is our support. Instead, they saw THEIR fans joining corporate whores and California fans. That’s my point. I believe that disappointment was what significantly contributed to the lack of fire I saw in their eyes.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by esvl » Sun May 14, 2023 5:04 pm

Well. The lesson apparently hasn’t been learned. What can I say. Game over. Ja is out, other guys are broken, this franchise will soon return to where it had been for a decade - … hole.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#23 » by esvl » Tue Jun 6, 2023 3:55 am

esvl wrote:This young FO and ownership has to learn that you need to stand behind your players if you want to keep their sole and spirit up even and especially when they make mistakes and get attacked or judged.

JJJ: “no matter what, I stand by my brother”.

That makes two of us already. There is some hope out there.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,476

Post#24 » by durden_tyler » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:24 am

Lesson learned here is not to be stupid and dumb. The good news is Ja has learned that lesson. Good news is that he's seen as a superstar, so rather than lose it all he still lost just maybe $50M in salary and endorsments.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#25 » by durden_tyler » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:27 am

esvl wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
esvl wrote:
There are 30 good teams in this league, in case you haven’t noticed. If you want your small crappy franchise to beat all of them, you should allow your young core to feel ambitious and equal to the proven stars. That’s how it works in real life: you challenge yourself, then you challenge the leaders, you go over the limits, that is how you get a chance to become the one. You will be hated by your competitors - it’s ok - it is an indication that they are afraid of you. If you want to stay a good boy/girl and be humble, not to irritate those on the top, that’s the path to the hole of nowhere.

The point here is that while it's great to hold confidence in yourself all the time. It doesn't mean you get to the point of allowing the ego to take over in the driver's seat and drive you over the edge to an arrogant defeat. That's what I meant by know your limits. Trash talk will always be part of the game. That part is not the issue. The issue is bringing the trash talk into the media setting, thus indirectly placing pressure on yourself and the team if the team fails to back it up. Unfortunately what did happened in the series against the Lakers. The cautionary tale to learn from is to never give the media a soundbite that may come back to haunt you at the wrong time.

That said, this team still has youth on their side. This journey is full of experiences both good and bad. On the goods, keep capitalizing on them and be accountable, tactful, and have some fun while doing what they do best. On the bad, learn from those mistakes, work even harder than necessary, take those next steps to redemption starting next season. Right now, they just need to reflect and keep working on that canvas that will one day turn into their own masterpiece.

I am just amazed how quickly ordinary fans instead of giving support and loyalty go a full moral expert mode. Why on Earth we are even discussing the moral or ego part of guys behaviour? These are OUR guys who really wanted to win - all they needed is our support. Instead, they saw THEIR fans joining corporate whores and California fans. That’s my point. I believe that disappointment was what significantly contributed to the lack of fire I saw in their eyes.

As much as we've seen this much passion to support Ja, i am impressed that he saw fit that he gets to send someone from his inner circle to join these campaign on social media/forum. Any wild guess anyone? Father? Cousins? Brother? (i don't know much about Ja's personal life but i assume you're one of those. LOL.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by esvl » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:05 pm

durden_tyler wrote:
esvl wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

As much as we've seen this much passion to support Ja, i am impressed that he saw fit that he gets to send someone from his inner circle to join these campaign on social media/forum. Any wild guess anyone? Father? Cousins? Brother? (i don't know much about Ja's personal life but i assume you're one of those. LOL.

Kid, I have been with this franchise since 2001. You can assume nothing because you have seen and learned little so far. My advice to as your Grizz brother, try not to jump to quick conclusions and assumptions, try to accept diversity of opinions, deny any simplicity of the world views, and more importantly, separate your own opinion from the one presented by corporate media.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#27 » by durden_tyler » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:29 am

Ja Morant's Camp Reportedly Feels NBA, Media 'Out To Get Them' :banghead:

Ja Morant has received a 25-game suspension from the NBA and must meet conditions set by the league in order to be reinstated.

Morant was filmed on Instagram Live flashing a gun two weeks after the Memphis Grizzlies were eliminated from the playoffs, which followed his eight-game suspension in March for a similar incident.

"I have heard indirectly that Ja and people close to Ja, perhaps people formerly close to Ja, have this feeling that the NBA out to get them," said Tim MacMahon. "That the media is out to get them."

Morant also had other off-court incidents such as a confrontation with members of the Indiana Pacers that allegedly involved a laser pointer, as well as a fight with a teenager during a pickup game at his house.

Morant is beginning a five-year, $195 million contract extension with the Memphis Grizzlies this season.

TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

:banghead:
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#28 » by jefe » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:13 pm

durden_tyler wrote:Ja Morant's Camp Reportedly Feels NBA, Media 'Out To Get Them' :banghead:

Ja Morant has received a 25-game suspension from the NBA and must meet conditions set by the league in order to be reinstated.

Morant was filmed on Instagram Live flashing a gun two weeks after the Memphis Grizzlies were eliminated from the playoffs, which followed his eight-game suspension in March for a similar incident.

"I have heard indirectly that Ja and people close to Ja, perhaps people formerly close to Ja, have this feeling that the NBA out to get them," said Tim MacMahon. "That the media is out to get them."

Morant also had other off-court incidents such as a confrontation with members of the Indiana Pacers that allegedly involved a laser pointer, as well as a fight with a teenager during a pickup game at his house.

Morant is beginning a five-year, $195 million contract extension with the Memphis Grizzlies this season.

TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

Ugh. Hopefully, Tim Macmahon's source/reporting is offbase, because that's pretty much the worst possible internal reaction from Ja and/or those truly near him.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#29 » by durden_tyler » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:11 pm

jefe wrote:
durden_tyler wrote:Ja Morant's Camp Reportedly Feels NBA, Media 'Out To Get Them' :banghead:

TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

Ugh. Hopefully, Tim Macmahon's source/reporting is offbase, because that's pretty much the worst possible internal reaction from Ja and/or those truly near him.

jefe wrote:

TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

That or it’s people not really close with Ja and their statement does not reflect what Ja really thinks. It’s a very speculative article so could be all air but reports like this is a sign that the “media” won’t let this go too soon. Pressure is on Ja to prove that he’s a changed, mature man and he has every opportunity to do just that.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#30 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:46 am

durden_tyler wrote:
jefe wrote:

TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

jefe wrote:

TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

That or it’s people not really close with Ja and their statement does not reflect what Ja really thinks. It’s a very speculative article so could be all air but reports like this is a sign that the “media” won’t let this go too soon. Pressure is on Ja to prove that he’s a changed, mature man and he has every opportunity to do just that.

For a drama based topic, the focus is on Ja for now. Can't say if this article has some truth to it or not. If I'm Ja, just lay so fkn low like you're just oxygen. You know it's there, but it can not be seen. Other than that, I'm done with the Ja topics. To the media, let the man serve his suspension and let it be. I'm in draft mode and offseason mode at this point.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by esvl » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:52 am

It is a great idea not to support this narrative. There was no wrongdoing that might even slightly justify this orchestrated media outrage. Guns is a constitutional right. If NBA’s directors want to change it, there are plenty of people and institutions out there to go against and showcase your power. FK politics - just leave Ja alone, ***ing lizards.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#32 » by durden_tyler » Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:05 am

esvl wrote:It is a great idea not to support this narrative. There was no wrongdoing that might even slightly justify this orchestrated media outrage. Guns is a constitutional right. If NBA’s directors want to change it, there are plenty of people and institutions out there to go against and showcase your power. FK politics - just leave Ja alone, ***ing lizards.

The NBA as socially responsible entity, needs to send a message. Good job, NBA

Return to Memphis Grizzlies