ImageImage

Offseason 2024

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Offseason 2024 

Post#1 » by esvl » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:40 pm

Is it the right time to start discussing the offseason moves?

Let me present some food for thoughts for our next season roster given no trades are made (conservative perspective)

pg Ja - Pippen
sg Bane - Vince - #38
sf Smart - Konchar - ZW
pf JJJ - GG - Stevens - LaRavia
c Clarke - Aldama - #8 Ware

Stars:
3 - Ja, JJJ, Bane
Full rotational guys:
6 - Smart, Vince, GG, Clarke, Aldama, ZW
Secondary:
4 - Pippen, Konchar, Stevens, LaRavia
Development:
2 - #8 (Ware), #38 (?)

1. Kennard is declined
2. Stevens is resigned
3. Pippen is converted
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,834

Re: Offseason 2024 

Post#2 » by psman2 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:33 pm

I like Ware quite a bit but would hope we could trade down and still land him and another asset. But if we identify him as the best prospect available at 8 then I would be fine with us just taking him. Looking at Clingan still too, higher floor but less of a ceiling. Love to pair them.

At 38 I think one of Oso Ighodaro or DaRon Holmes II could be there and would be a great pairing with our hopeful frontcourt lottery pick.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#3 » by jefe » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

Although it is the most likely scenario, it'll be the most depressing offseason to me if all we do is use the pick on a bigman rather than make a trade for a big with experience.

We've got our core under contract for two more years (JJJ will be a UFA in 2026). Now is not the time to bring along another rookie. No disrespect to Pippen and Stevens, but I don't want to see them in a Grizz jersey next season. If we bring them back, then it signals to me that the front office is settling for the easiest/cheapest option available, and we're not all-in on being a title contender next year. My view/perspective as a fan doesn't mean much, but if JJJ/Bane/Ja see things the same way . . . .
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Scottie Pippen Jr was signed to a two year 2-way deal so he is under contract with us next year already. I'm not worrying about converting him this summer. If we need him in the regular season then we can use him. We can worry about converting him next season if his play continues to warrant it.

I would maybe have Smart start but quickly pull him and put Vince in so that Smart can also handle the backup PG duties. I think having at least two of Ja, Bane, Vince, and Smart on the court at all times would allow for enough initiation to keep the offense rolling. So seeing Smart as more backup PG than starting SF, I'd look more at the depth chart like this:

PG: Ja / Smart / Pippen Jr / Rose
SG: Bane / Kennard / Konchar
SF: Vince / GG / Yuta / Ziaire
PF: JJJ / Santi / LaRavia
C: ? / Clarke / Jemison

or

PG: Ja / Smart / Pippen Jr / Rose
SG: Bane / Kennard / Konchar
SF: Vince / GG / Yuta / Ziaire
PF: Clarke / Santi / LaRavia
C: JJJ / ? / Jemison

I think there is a chance Clarke and JJJ start as our PF/C, and JJJ may ultimately log most of his minutes next year as more of a C unless we get a starting caliber C. We still need a high level big bodied center either way though. Nick Richards from Charlotte via trade, Hartenstein via free agency, or drafting a center with our pick are all ways we could address this issue. I'm bringing back Kennard (maybe decline the Team Option and extend him for a little less per year). He is one of the best shooters in the game right now, something our team always needs.

I'd want to sign Lamar Stevens if possible. I'm not sure if Yuta will accept his Player Option so that is one way to open up a roster spot for him. Then trade Ziaire and 2nds for Nick Richards or salary dump Rose in order to sign a big (preferably Hartenstein, but may not be realistic). You could still draft a big, but them potentially not being an immediate contributor wouldn't sink your season. If the big comes in and is however an immediate stud, then great you can start them and JJJ with the Clarke/JJJ pairing as an option when they are off the floor.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 47

Post#5 » by RingoKid » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 am

It doesn't matter how good the roster is Taylor Jenkins will not coach Memphis to within cooey of a championship.

He just doesn't have it in him!

Return to Memphis Grizzlies