Get to Know Your Grizz fans

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Get to Know Your Grizz fans 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed May 1, 2013 5:10 pm

This is in intro thread for us to get to know one another here on the board. Including other Grizz fans who lurk, but don't post here. Now is the time to get familiar and maybe generate ideas to better our traffic here. Especially during the playoffs. Feel free to add any questions of your own to add on to the fun.

Name: Paul

What are you studying/ job occupation? psych student fighting for a bachelor's degree.

Meaning of your screen handle? SD stands for Silent Disciple. The numbers are just added on for appearance. Just laid back, keep it cool and to myself.

How long you follow the Grizzlies? Since the move from Vancouver. Being they're the hometown team, Why not?

Fav Grizz player of all time? Po-Z, Ren, Zbo, Marc

If you were not following the Grizz, who would your other team(s) be? Orlando Magic, been a fan of their for 20 yrs. Thx Penny and Shaq for that. Spurs and it goes back to David Robinson, Sean Elliott, and Avery Johnson.

The best Grizz moment of all time? Beat the Spurs to win our first ever playoff series.

Hobbies? computers, PS3, some bball, hang with friends

Fav top five women you like? Halle Berry, Sofia Vergara, Rochelle Aytes, Mila Kunis, Kristin Kreuk, Mya

Fav other sports team you follow? Steelers, tennis, motocross

Fav movie(s) you like? The Negotiator, Batman Trilogy, Gridiron Gang, Fast & Furious except the first and Tokyo Drift

If you have any ideas on how to make this board the better place to be, how would you do it?
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Re: Get to Know Your Grizz fans 

Post#2 » by vanjulio » Wed May 1, 2013 8:10 pm

Name: Webb

What are you studying/ job occupation? software engineer

Meaning of your screen handle? my friend used to call my house in elementary school and say, "My I speak to Vanjulio?" and it stuck with me as my original screenname on AOL way way back in the day.

How long you follow the Grizzlies? Since Pau and Jerry West came around and turned this franchise into something.

Fav Grizz player of all time? no clear cut favorite. but my house is full of Rudy Gay merchandise

If you were not following the Grizz, who would your other team(s) be? Boston Celtics

The best Grizz moment of all time? 3OT against the Thunder at home. Saw the game with my dad in the lower bowl. Most high fives with strangers I've ever had. Most dancing I've ever done at a game. If only we'd have won!

Hobbies? running, frisbee, latest new hobby is painting

Fav other sports team you follow? NE Patriots, Georgia Tech

Fav movie(s) you like? The Thin Red Line, Big Lebowski, Grizzly Man

If you have any ideas on how to make this board the better place to be, how would you do it?
more heads! but without lowering the quality of discussions please. maybe we can lure other teams fans by discussing more general topics about NBA on here. I dunno!
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#3 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed May 1, 2013 10:40 pm

Happy Birthday Vanjulio!
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#4 » by darkangle901 » Thu May 2, 2013 1:24 am

HBD Van! Any advice for an aspiring Software Engineer?

(Here's my "About Me")

Name: Shawn

Occupation/Area of Study: Student - senior majoring in Computer Science

Meaning of your Screen Handle: Nothing really... picked it a long time ago because I thought it sounded cool. I used to make jokes about it being a new concept in "theoretical geometry".

Grizz fan since: Hubie Brown became the coach.

Favorite Grizz player: Tough choice. Probably Marc. Love Conley Z-bo and still root for Pau. There was a time when Mayo was my favorite.

Favorite team, aside from Grizzlies? Probably Chicago because of Derrick Rose.

Favorite Grizz moment of all time: Probably the entire 2011 postseason run

Hobbies: Basketball, hanging out w/ friends, video games

Favorite other sports: Football, MMA, anything the U.S. Olympic team is good at, Hockey (video games more than real life)

Favorite teams/athletes in other sports: Green Bay Packers, Lyoto Machida

Favorite women Kate Beckinsale, Emmy Rossum, that chick who works at the Walgreen's near my house

Favorite movies: Anything by Danny Boyd (especially Sunshine), The Avengers, A Time To Kill, Big Trouble in Little China, Back to the Future, The Goonies, The Karate Kid pt. II, Black Hawk Down

Favorite TV shows: Breaking Bad, LOST, Fringe, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate: Universe, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Veronica Mars

How to make the board a better place? I don't know. The only thing I can think of is try to be more active. Also maybe try to place greater emphasis on discussing the finer points of the game as well as the business side, which tend to attract the most quality posters on the site overall.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Thu May 2, 2013 7:34 am

H.B. Van!
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by vanjulio » Thu May 2, 2013 1:56 pm

darkangle901 wrote:HBD Van! Any advice for an aspiring Software Engineer?

thanks for the birthday wishes everybody.
advice? It took me a long time to find a real job after school - it felt like eternity but it was actually about 12 months. now looking back that was not much time really in the big picture. I think it's important to have a passion for your work and have it be rewarding, interesting work etc. So I guess my advice is take your time! Otherwise you end up hating your job and spending far too much time on internet message boards. :oops:

and then my latest mantra is that work is never over. projects come and go and you have deadlines but it's never truly over like a class is over, or a semester over, or you graduate. that can take a while to get used to! when you spend months getting something just right and everything is perfect and then a month later you're back at it again making some change or working on the next version... it can be frustrating if you have the wrong perspective.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#7 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu May 2, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm not a software engineer, nor have I played one on TV, but I work with them. Hands down the thing I hear over and over again is the importance of management, communication and business writing classes. Unless your desire is to top out battling day in and day out in the trenches, start game planning for the day that you're directing projects and not just working as a part of the team, today.
darkangle901
Starter

Post#8 » by darkangle901 » Thu May 2, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to getting out into the "real world" :wink:

BTW, great idea for this thread.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Thu May 2, 2013 11:44 pm

I hope this idea will entice more posters to drop in so all of us can get familiar here on the board. And more ideas are welcome.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#10 » by bobobolas10 » Fri May 3, 2013 1:47 am

Hi Grizz Fans!

Great Idea to start this post SD2042, I used to post as bobobolas1 on this board, however, my account was disabled on May2011 or something like that and ever since then I just come here after everygame to read gamethreads or whatever. As I liked the idea I decided to waste two and a half minutes to create a new username. Hopefully this time I dont forget my password.

Name: Fernando

What is your job occupation? Night auditor at a Hotel in Edinburgh, Scotland

Meaning of your screen handle? My spanish nickname is "bolas" and "bobo" stands for a nice way to say fool to myself. There was nothing related to "bobobolas" in the whole internet when I created, So if you come across a bobobolas that would be me :)

How long you follow the Grizzlies? Since they moved to Memphis, I was NBA overall fan till I decided I had to pick a team to support, they just moved there so I chose them mostly because of that. I did not know much about Big Country, Shareef, Stromile swift and Dickerson that they were supposed to be the start but for different reasons 3 of them were gone by the time we got to memphis. Then we traded for Gasol and I am spanish. That was nice but at some point people judged me as I just joined the Gasol Bandwagon but i liked more the Stro-show.

Fav Grizz player of all time? Jason Williams, Stromile Swift, Gasol-Zbo combo, JCNavarro.

If you were not following the Grizz, who would your other team(s) be? Dallas Mavericks, nowadays Brooklyn Nets.

The best Grizz moment of all time? The day Juan Carlos Navarro Scored 9 Three pointers agains the hornets, The dunk of Pau Gasol on Garnett's face in the pyramid and the series against the spurs.

Hobbies? PS3= Modern warfare3, Magic the gathering online, Playing handball (european sport)

Fav other sports team you follow? FC Barcelona

Fav movie(s) you like? City of god, American Beauty, Pulp fiction.

If you have any ideas on how to make this board the better place to be, how would you do it? Id Like to see more people posting. Still, I would not like to find 16 pages in every thread as you can find in most of forums here.
"Take that for Data!"
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by SD2042 » Sat May 4, 2013 10:36 pm

I remember you used to post here a while back. Welcome back! Hopefully this board can get back former posters and new posters alike especially with the current playoff run the Grizzlies are on now.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#12 » by Stannis » Sun May 5, 2013 9:03 pm

Name: Shpati

What are you studying/ job occupation? Management Information Systems graduating in December. Give me any tips if you like :) . I'm worried about finding some work after college. I see you guys helped that Software Engineering guy, throw some tips at me please.

Meaning of your screen handle? See name and age

How long you follow the Grizzlies? I followed them since the move to the hometown. I'm not a hardcore Grizzlies fan though. I'm a Knicks fan, but I still really like the Grizzlies. They are the hometown team. And to be honest, they are much more fun to watch than the Knicks. I been watching and following the Knicks since 96. That's the beauty of having my top 2 teams in different conferences.

Fav Grizz player of all time? Zbo, Marc, Conley, Arthur

The best Grizz moment of all time? Beating the Spurs. Conley's improvement.

Hobbies? Sports, computers, games

Fav other sports team you follow? Knicks, New York Giants, boxing, some soccer, Albania

Fav movie(s) and TV shows you like? Too much. Batman, Fast and the Furious, American Psycho, the Prestige, Memento, Lost, Sopranos, Oz, Dexter (Seasons 1-4).

It just needs a little more population.

I used to post here more often, but RealGM was taking up too much of my time. So I just tried to stick to one board (the Knicks board).

SD2042 wrote:Fav movie(s) you like? The Negotiator, Batman Trilogy, Gridiron Gang, Fast & Furious except the first and Tokyo Drift

Fast & Furious 1 is a klassic. Same with Toyko Drift. The only bad one was Too Fast and Too Furious. That one was a colorful joke.
Free Palestine
darkangle901
Starter

Post#13 » by darkangle901 » Sun May 5, 2013 10:15 pm

Shpati21 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:Fav movie(s) you like? The Negotiator, Batman Trilogy, Gridiron Gang, Fast & Furious except the first and Tokyo Drift

Fast & Furious 1 is a klassic. Same with Toyko Drift. The only bad one was Too Fast and Too Furious. That one was a colorful joke.

I like 2 Fast 2 Furious the best I think. It's more fun than the others.

I don't think people should be trying to make serious movies about tricked out cars.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Mon May 6, 2013 6:57 am

When I saw FF1 back in 2000, street racing didn't appeal to me at the time. As the FF2 came out in 2003, by that point, street racing had my interest as I saw my share of these races for myself. Tokyo Drift was ok, but I did not come away too impress with the movie overall. The acting was questionable for me.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#15 » by Stannis » Tue May 7, 2013 4:02 am

I just really like the classic cast. First 1 was just awesome for me.

Tokyo Drift was just fun because of the Japanese theme. The director of Tokyo Drift did the rest of the Fast and Furious movies, including this new one coming out.

2F2F was just a joke to me. I was not digging that whole colorful hip/Aaron Carter theme. I don't watch Fast and Furious for acting and masterpiece elements, but 2F2F had some horrific corny lines.
Free Palestine
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#16 » by SD2042 » Wed May 8, 2013 4:52 am

Justin Lin definately did a good job on the last two FF movies. Especially the last one. Can't wait for the next one to come out when Dom meets up with Letty again.
vanjulio
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by vanjulio » Mon May 13, 2013 12:26 pm

darkangle901 wrote:HBD Van! Any advice for an aspiring Software Engineer?

This is better advice I think, from a professional / billionaire: http://www.businessinsider.com/amazing- ... 013-5?op=1
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#18 » by Jase » Sat May 18, 2013 12:04 am

Hey Grizz fans!
Hoops fanatic from Michigan here. Grew up a Sonics fan (Thanks to Gary Payton), and haven't really jumped to another team since they moved. But I'm rambling.
I just wanted to say I am absolutely rooting for you guys in the WCF. Truth be told, I probably won't watch the NBA Finals if you guys don't advance. I have a lot of respect for your team, and the way your team operated. There is no arrogance or entitlement. There doesn't seem to be ego among players. I've always liked Tony Allen (a guy who knows his role, doesn't try to step outside of it, and takes pride in his defense) and Gasol is, IMHO, the best C in the game, if you appreciate BBIQ. So here's to Memphis proving that a small-market team can thrive.

SD - I am curious about "Silent Disciple." Is that a religious reference?
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#19 » by SD2042 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:49 am

The Silent Disciple moniker is just a reference of my personality. The strong, silent and laid-back type. It's not indicative of anything religious.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#20 » by Jase » Sat May 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Got cha. "Disciple" just screamed something religious to me.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."

Return to Memphis Grizzlies