Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Pera issues challenge to Air Jordan 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:42 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 32512.html

The (allegedly) 6-foot-3 Pera even went so far as to say he wouldn't accept being spotted any points in a game to 10 against Jordan, which sounds like the kind of thing you say to try to goad your famously competitive prey into engaging in live combat ... and which, if we're being honest, is the kind of thing Pera would probably instantly regret as soon as he actually found himself head-up with the Hall of Famer. Then again, of course, stranger things have happened — it's not like M.J. hasn't found himself on the short end of the stick in a game against a seemingly overmatched executive before.

Will the prospect of a million bucks to one of the myriad charities with which Jordan is associated be enough to prompt him to respond? (We know he won't do so via Facebook, Twitter or twerking.) Will Pera actually get his chance to play Teenage O.J. Mayo to a 50-year-old M.J.? Or will the challenge merely dissipate and scatter on the winds to the four corners of the earth? What the future holds is anyone's guess, so please make sure to stay tuned to Ball Don't Lie, your home for all the latest in "Did someone say something about a one-on-one game?" news.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Re: Pera issues challenge to Air Jordan 

Post#2 » by dark-child » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 pm

I am not overly concerned about the questions this raises about our owner. I do like that he is competitive and he doesn't just want to concede the top spot of b-balling owner to MJ but would it not have been wiser to challenge the Russian Baller Prokorov first, or even Mark Cuban before pulling the tale of the lion? Granted MJ is a little longer in the tooth, and in the middle of a ridiculous mid life crisis, but the cat still sees himself as Mufasa, who still thinks he can drop fifty in todays game.

The worst part of all this is it gives MJ too much power and the ability to simply not be aware of who he is in relation to his airness, which makes Pera seem pretty lame, when all you really wanted was to play against the best basketball player of all time. One million to charity is not enough to get MJ out of his pajamas, so a better enticier may be a Marc Gasol for Bismack Biyombo and filler trade if he loses. MJ likes to gamble so you have to peek his interest, so currently there is no reason for him to give him a second thought.
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Re: Pera issues challenge to Air Jordan 

Post#3 » by vanjulio » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:52 pm

I guess Jordan turned him down. "It's a no win situation for me, no matter what". I guess he wasn't told about the $1M donation to St. Jude and how much they'd win out of it. Oh well. But I suppose when you are Jordan a $1M is just pocket change in the grand scheme. Would have been pretty great publicity though... I think ESPN could have done a feature.

Prokorov would have been good but I guess Pera thinks he got some mad skills really. I wonder if he has some secret delusion of being the 12th man on the roster some day and playing for like 2 minutes of garbage time just to chuck up a 3 and say he played? To be honest, I've had that dream many many times. I had an idea for the St. Jude auctions they do to actually auction off for a fan to be a player for one game and get a guaranteed 1 minute of playing time. How much would someone pay for THAT? But I suppose the league has rules against such a stunt. Imagine home much it would raise if people are willing to pay $5,000 for a piece of clothing worn in a game, what would they pay to BE IN THE GAME!? (MAYBE AS MUCH AS A 35 YEAR OLD WOULD PAY TO OWN A TEAM?????????)
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die

Return to Memphis Grizzlies