Official Memphis Offseason: Free Agency and Trades

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Memphis and the now official offseason 

Post#21 » by SD2042 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:11 am

teamgrizz wrote:As long as the Grizz can surround Conley and Marc with quality basketball players, they will remain AT LEAST a playoff team. Depending on who they add would determine if they could be contenders. Taking away TA (or at least limited his role to the bench) and moving Zbo will not cause the team to drop off into the lottery. Saying that, I don't think the front office has the balls to trade TA and Zbo.

Just listening to Marc during his interviews, he really seems keen on "playing basketball the right way." I would think that he is upset with our offense and he probably would not be against moving TA if it brought back a better two way player. Honestly, I don't think Marc stays if the plan is to bring back a very similar roster as last season. It just would not make sense on his part considering the things he said. We have proven with our personnel that playing at a faster pace, shooting the 3 ball more, etc. will not work with this current group of players and would need some serious restructuring to make it work.

So, it really depends on what Marc means when he says "playing basketball the right way." If that means removing some guys that the fans love, then so be it. I'm more concerned with keeping Marc happy and putting better players around him and Conley than worrying about the fans getting upset.

Here's a question to everybody here. Let's put Z-bo to the side for a minute for this scenario. Based on their work ethics and the way they play the game, Would this team be able to build around Gasol and Conley for the future?

Criteria

both guys can carry the team on their backs nightly
Are they clutch players when the game is on the line?
Are these players willing to score nearly 20 plus points at night?
Will these players command the respect not just from their teammates, but from the league.
Although you have one all star and the other isn't are these two willing to play like superstars in the making?
Zordor
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#22 » by Zordor » Wed May 27, 2015 11:15 am

I would have to say yes, but I have a lot of difficulty moving Randolph, and for that matter probably even TA , Z-bo is still a consistent guy and we dont have another option, unless LMA wanted to sign here which i dont see happening, TA is a solid defender and the problem is he doesnt want to be a role player even though he needs to be, he is aggressive and halfway crazy, but thats why the city loves him is he keeps everyone motivated, and he is like a coach on the defensive side of the ball when not on the court, but he does have to take a lesser role i think if we are able to get another solid wing player, but like I have said from day 1, i dont think the problem is looking for 3 point shooting from the wing necessarily, I have always wanted us to look for a stretch 5 guy who can shoot 3s consistently like Myers Leonard , and it also makes for a smooth transition for that player and Z-bo to swap places as Z-bo ages. I think Conley and Marc are our cornerstone pieces, but I also think Memphis has also made a brand and I fully believe they can win with GNG basketball, but they need to be innovative too like the teams of the past, think about Lambieer, Matt Bonner, and some other guys who werent great but had skills no one else on the team or in league had. GNG, but also figure out how you can innovate the future, and Stretch 5 with 3s is the future imo. This will also make Jeff Green more useful in that he can post up down low than having to shoot the deep ball and it allows Lee more felxibility on offense to not be a primary 3 point shooter, add Adams in the rotation and a change of pace guy like Russ Smith and you have a team. I think too much the team is looking at stat sheets and data than intangibles like hype, effort and change of pace/innovation
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#23 » by SD2042 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:47 pm

On the Z-Bo thing, I wasn't leaning towards moving him. as he's still the go-to guy for this team and players ad people still relate to him on the hardwood and in the community. One of the profiles that goes with that persona. If anything, trading Zbo at this point would be a mistake right now.

As for Marc and Conley, although they are very good players and assets to this team. I think both of these guys are more like great complimentary pieces who if added to the right go-to guy like your Zbo, Kobe(younger) Pierce(younger version), Harden. Types of players who not just have the charisma to be marketable, but the ability to be that ultimate clutch player/superstar who can take the team on their back to get the win when deem necessary.

On the GnG concept, I'm with you that the Grizzlies can stand to be more innovative and tweak it a bit so both coach and players be able to utilize it better so everybody can benefit from the upgrades based on certain plays they run or adjust the tempo to put the opponent at a major disadvantage.
Zordor
Pro Prospect

Post#24 » by Zordor » Fri May 29, 2015 1:16 am

Okay hate me for this if you want but im going to blow your minds.

Bulls-Grizzlies Draft night trade
*Commissioner Silver comes up*
"We have a trade to announce!" *gasps*
"The Memphis Grizzlies have come to terms on a deal that sends Courtney Lee *gasp* , Jeff Green *WHAT!* , Calathes *Some claps from crowd* and the 25th pick in the 2015 NBA Draft and a future 2nd round pick to the Chicago Bulls in exchange for Doug McDermott, Pau Gasol, and the 22nd pick in the 2015 NBA Draft. The Memphis Grizzles are now on the clock." "With the 22nd Pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, Memphis selects, Justin Anderson!!!"

Everyone is both going WHAAAAAT is Memphis blowing it up? and cheering their guts out we got Pau.
At first glance even i thought, man this is a Memphis blowing it up scenario... BUT lets look at each teams rotation now

Bulls:
Rose/Calathes/Brooks/Hinrich
Butler/Lee/Moore
Mirotic/ Green/ Snell
Gibson/(lets say they draft Christian Wood)/ Bairstow
Noah/ Mohhemmed

Looks weak at a glance, but Mirotic and Green can both play PF and Gibson can Small ball C, Calathes can play a 2 guard and so can Snell, Wood also adds depth as stretch 5, the trade basically gives the bulls some serious depth they were lacking

Memphis:
Conley/Smith/Udrih
Allen/Adams/Carter
Anderson/ McDermott / Jamychal Green
Pau/ Z-bo
Marc/ Leur / Stokes

and we have 1 space open for a FA at MLE

This would almost force Joeger to play if not start a rookie/2nd year, and moving up the 3 spots could secure Anderson where for the Bulls its not detrimental to move down 3, Anderson-Adams will give consistent outside shooting and if we can get Dougie McBuckets to be his old self from college then he will be a useful bench scorer as well (memphis has a track record of rebirthing potential in misfit guys) but the crown Jewel is Pau, he might be old, but he was just an All Star Starter , this also almost definitely gets Marc to resign and having Big Spain x2 in the starting unit will be AWESOME, plus Pau gets to end where he started next to his brother, *cough also not mentioning the marketability of Pau + Marc to make some $$, especially in Spain* I decided on brothers starting over chemistry of Z-bo because I think Pau can space the floor more and we will have enough floor spacing from the second unit to set Z-bo up in the post. We also have that extra slot for a FA and we have a couple chinks in the armour, but no glaring weaknesses and so we can just try to find the best guy on the market at MLE who wants to come to Memphis and sign him (also the trade gives us flexibility to use full MLE most likely without going over luxury) and I think both the Bulls and Grizzlies are +1 in Title contention chances for 2015-2016, plus trading Lee and Green in favor of longer term deals means we wont be so stretched out cap wise to try to resign guys in 2016, and should have more cap room to look for another key player in the FA market in 2016. Memphis wants to keep that window open as long as it can so brining in young talent and guys on longer contracts could facilitate it.

What makes this the most sense though is oddly Russ Smith. Anderson, adams, Mcdermott and Jamychal Green all fit in a system thats run by a point guard like Russ, and thats why having Pau off the bench wouldnt be bad either as I would liken Russ to a hurt D Rose in terms of athleticism and being able to create for himself, same for Anderson and Adams, they can create their own shot off the dribble as well and if adams gets in even better shape (since he gets paid more too anyway) then our second unit could be extremely change of pace to being more up tempo and volume shooting, also because Conley, Pau and Marc are all great athletes I think they could thrive in an uptempo offense situational and then be able to go right back to grinding it out a couple possessions later after a timeout or deadball . Lets turn the Jeff Green trade into the Russ smith trade and build a team that can play both grind it out and uptempo, like anderson playing GNG at UVA but can clearly run the floor and fly toward the rim or take quick spot up 3s. Just something to consider. Honestly though I think this only happens if Pau wanted to come here.
jumivi
Senior
And1: 41

Post#25 » by jumivi » Fri May 29, 2015 4:41 pm

3 questions:
a) who put the best player in the trade?
b) who put the youngest prospect in the trade?
c) who put the highest pick?

i can add another
d) who is not going to accept this trade?

hint: every questions has the same answer
Zordor
Pro Prospect

Post#26 » by Zordor » Fri May 29, 2015 6:22 pm

True , but Pau is going on 35, and they are pretty heavy in the front court, so yes the Bulls are giving up the most, but if they thought it would put them over the top I think they would do it, depth was really the biggest concern for them when playing the Cavs, also the health of Pau. Maybe i am just undervaluing him because of age or undervaluing Doug because he had a much less than stellar year (if tony snell is beating you for minutes... albeit snell was better in the playoffs) so maybe I am undervaluing them talent wise, but do have to consider those factors, there are some guys from last years draft i think could break out in the right situation, doug i could see breaking out with memphis, but i still consider it a long shot, i never thought he fit in the bulls system and maybe he wouldnt in memphis either, but its something to consider, and if you disregard Calathes performance against Golden State, he really isnt a bad combo guard and could definitely fill a need for the bulls while letting them retain a 1rst to use for someone else, memphis just has russ now and id have to say we need to utilize him and adams more. I mean it would be a long shot, but its not completely horrible for either side, will either side make the trade? probably not. would it benefit each side, I would have to think so. Below I listed a trade that is not my idea and i thought it was absoulutely horrible at first but then i thought about it a bit.
Zordor
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by Zordor » Fri May 29, 2015 7:06 pm

Think this would work?

OKC gets Lee and Udrih and the 25th pick

Memphis gets Waiters, Lamb, and the 14th pick

then Memphis trades Waiters, Leur and the 14th pick to the Hawks for Mike Scott and the 15th pick

Why ATL:
With Demare Carroll going toward FA and probably going to NYK and ATL desperately needing some depth on the wing then, I think Buldehozzer can get Waiters turned around and harness his potential, he is still only 23 after all! Atlanta moves up into the lottery and all the picks in and around the lottery are logarithmic and so moving up even one spot can make a difference sometimes. Millsap is coming back so look for the Hawks to target a SF at 14 and by moving up even one spot they can perhaps get a player who has free falled a bit rounding out their roster for another push at the finals.

Why OKC:
2015-2016 is a go big or go home year for the Thunder as Durant's contract is coming up and if they dont win big now, they might not for a long time as Westbrook might want out too if durant leaves. So they get Lee who is what the Thunder hoped waiters would be, in that he is a guy who can play solid defense and can shoot the 3 at a decent clip but doesnt need the ball in his hands all the time, and can also slash with the ball if called upon. Udrih is coming off foot surgery and is getting older and so it would be better if memphis traded him now while his value is still up, but it still helps round out a thunder rotation with him being a 2/3 option off the bench at point guard, also both players have more veteran presence which is key in making a deep playoff run.

Why for MEM:
Memphis needs guys to fit the new PER system of play and lamb and mike scott are both better PER when on the floor than Udrih or Lee, Memphis also gets MUCH needed volume shooting scorers off the bench, also memphis moves up 10 spots in the draft and can target the likes of someone like Cameron Payne or Robert Upshaw. Mike Scott is very good for a big at spacing the floor, he basically plays the game we used out of Leur and still at a low price tag. Lamb also can play spot minutes and help space the floor as a volume shooter from 3 which is what we needed lee to do sometimes, being just a perimeter threat if not taking the shot.

This is how I could see the rotation panning out:

MEM:
Conley/Russ Smith/Payne (15th pick)
Allen/Adams/Lamb
Gerald Green/Jeff Green/Carter
Z-bo/ Scott/Jamychal Green/Stokes
Gasol/Oden

or variation if they trade jamychal green for a mid to late second rounder (my personal choice):

Conley/Russ Smith/Josh Richardson (late second, Memphis fan and teammate of Stokes in college at UT)
Allen/Adams/Lamb
Gerald Green/Jeff Green/Carter
Z-bo/ Scott/Stokes
Gasol/Upshaw (15th)/ Oden (Conley's old friend)

OKC:
Westbrook/Augustin/Beno Udrih
Lee/Roberson/Morrow
KD/Singler/Novak (PJIII option doesnt get picked up so they can use the pick)
Ibaka/McGary/Collison
Kanter/Adams
+ 25th pick (not gonna take a guess on OKC wants at what is available at 25)

ATL:
Teague/ Shroder/ Mack
Korver/Waiters/Bazemore/Jenkins
Sefalosha/ Sam Dekker (14th pick)/ Alonzo Gee (saying Carroll does go to NYK in FA)
Millsap/ Leur/Antic
Horford/ Muscala

We are playing small ball a bit without Koufos, but signing Gerald Green MLE is not a bad option and we have a plethora of guys who can knock it down from behind the arc at a good rate (35-40%+) Conley, Russ, Payne, Adams, Lamb,Gerald Green, Scott can all do it, so memphis needs outside shooting, this would be a complete overhaul to increase outside shooting. Plus Scott and Lamb are both good FT shooters as well which bonds well with Memphis ideals.
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#28 » by ferk » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:19 am

i'm gonna say we sign Rondo ,, former celtic, has friends here( i'm guessing lol ), former star. mle money.. sounds like a CW move to me ..
jumivi
Senior

Post#29 » by jumivi » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:24 pm

?????? Why?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#30 » by SD2042 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:34 am

Rondo to Memphis is like an amusement park in Memphis. Rondo will likely be playing for the Knicks or Rockets by the fall.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Re: Official Memphis Offseason: Free Agency and Trades 

Post#31 » by SD2042 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:32 pm

With free agency officially begins at midnight tonight, what are some of your thoughts on who the Grizzlies should seek to acquire on the roster. We know that Marc Gasol is # 1 priority for the Grizzlies and is likely to re-sign with the Grizzlies. The question is how much money will the Grizzlies throw at him and will it be enough to retain Marc and have enough money left over to sign someone else to the roster?
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#32 » by Mr. E » Wed Jul 1, 2015 3:29 am

I think that any Gasol "drama" ends in the next few hours.

This team needs shooters.

I don't think that the 24 Million Dollar Man, Joe Johnson, is the answer. What about Rodney Stuckey? I've heard his name mentioned with other teams.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#33 » by ferk » Wed Jul 1, 2015 11:08 am

Bismack
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Official Memphis Offseason: Free Agency and Trades 

Post#34 » by SD2042 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:43 pm

No Biyombo now we got Wright.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
jumivi
Senior

Post#35 » by jumivi » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:58 pm

love it! and just for the mle.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#36 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jul 5, 2015 6:48 am

What's happening with Marc Gasol?
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#37 » by dark-child » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:24 pm

The deal is probably done, but no rush since he can't officially sign until Thursday anyway. A deal may also be in the works that makes since to go down prior to his signing (speculation locally)

Return to Memphis Grizzlies