And1: 3,978

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#201 » by VCfor3 » Sat Nov 5, 2022 12:21 am

psman2 wrote:
NYG wrote:
SD2042 wrote:.

psman2 wrote:.

VCfor3 wrote:.

If the Pelicans became a realistic KD destination, would you save the assets on the downgrade from KD to Brandon Ingram as the third team? If so, what would you give for Brandon Ingram in terms of matching salary + possible picks?

Obviously much rather have Durant so unless NO is offering something we cannot I rather cut out NO unless the price is just too high or Durant doesn't want to come to Memphis. But if for some reason we cannot land Durant then I would offer something decent for Ingram but I'm not his biggest fan so I hope that we don't pay a premium for him. I think NO would try to send Ingram to the Eastern conference and not improve Memphis if the packages are close.

Something like I would put on the table.
Jones/Dillion + 4 assets...like 3 picks and a one young player.

Yeah I'd go for matching salary that involves some combination of Green, Tyus, and Brooks and then look at adding in one young guy,
or two depending on the young guys, plus three 1sts (23 MEM, 24 GSW, 25 MEM lightly protected). I'm not adding more youth to Ziaire but probably would for the others. I'd also try to balance the places by position so we don't lose both backup PGs for example.

Ja
Bane
Ingram
JJJ/Clarke
Adams

That's a great top 6 and elite top 4. Ziaire would be great to keep as our backup SF, but I don't know if we can pull it off. Tyus or Kennedy as backup PG. One of Aldama or LaRavia as the backup 4 (Clarke and JJJ cover most of the backup C minutes plus maybe a min vet). Konchar as the backup SG or if you lose Ziaire he may be the backup SF and have to find a backup SG. Memphis also would have all their 1sts but one after this offseason so could still make moves around the edges.

Nets likely want to reroute Brooks for another 1st/asset. Cleveland I could see as being interested as they need a SF and he is great on-ball defensively, but I don't know if they have an asset that would interest the Nets enough. Maybe LAL considers Dillon+Tyus+Nets player for Westbrook+draft compensation. I'm sure other teams would have interest too.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#202 » by NYG » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:45 am

VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
NYG wrote:

If the Pelicans became a realistic KD destination, would you save the assets on the downgrade from KD to Brandon Ingram as the third team? If so, what would you give for Brandon Ingram in terms of matching salary + possible picks?

Obviously much rather have Durant so unless NO is offering something we cannot I rather cut out NO unless the price is just too high or Durant doesn't want to come to Memphis. But if for some reason we cannot land Durant then I would offer something decent for Ingram but I'm not his biggest fan so I hope that we don't pay a premium for him. I think NO would try to send Ingram to the Eastern conference and not improve Memphis if the packages are close.

Yeah I'd go for matching salary that involves some combination of Green, Tyus, and Brooks and then look at adding in one young guy,
or two depending on the young guys, plus three 1sts (23 MEM, 24 GSW, 25 MEM lightly protected). I'm not adding more youth to Ziaire but probably would for the others. I'd also try to balance the places by position so we don't lose both backup PGs for example.

Ja
Bane
Ingram
JJJ/Clarke
Adams

That's a great top 6 and elite top 4. Ziaire would be great to keep as our backup SF, but I don't know if we can pull it off. Tyus or Kennedy as backup PG. One of Aldama or LaRavia as the backup 4 (Clarke and JJJ cover most of the backup C minutes plus maybe a min vet). Konchar as the backup SG or if you lose Ziaire he may be the backup SF and have to find a backup SG. Memphis also would have all their 1sts but one after this offseason so could still make moves around the edges.

Nets likely want to reroute Brooks for another 1st/asset. Cleveland I could see as being interested as they need a SF and he is great on-ball defensively, but I don't know if they have an asset that would interest the Nets enough. Maybe LAL considers Dillon+Tyus+Nets player for Westbrook+draft compensation. I'm sure other teams would have interest too.

Let's use Mikal Bridges... what picks would you add to Ziaire + Brooks for Bridges?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#203 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:13 am

NYG wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Ja
Bane
Ingram
JJJ/Clarke
Adams

Let's use Mikal Bridges... what picks would you add to Ziaire + Brooks for Bridges?

1-2 1sts (2023 unprotected and if I do another pick it'll be well protected). I like Bridges a lot, but our FO is very high on Ziaire so will assign him quite a bit of value. And for all his warts, Brooks is a good player, especially on the defensive end.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#204 » by jefe » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:40 pm

I will be absolutely amazed if we don't move Dillon at the trade deadline. It just seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll walk in free agency to take a big paycheck and/or be "the man" on another team, even if it's a middling or cellar dweller team.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,834

Post#205 » by psman2 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:57 pm

jefe wrote:I will be absolutely amazed if we don't move Dillon at the trade deadline. It just seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll walk in free agency to take a big paycheck and/or be "the man" on another team, even if it's a middling or cellar dweller team.

I cannot see any team interested if giving Dillion the money or role of "The Man." These teams have scouting departments and can see that giving more usage to Dillion is not a recipe for success. Most of the teams with cap space this coming year are not going to look at Brooks as the solution to anything good. There are like 9-10 teams that will have the space to sign him outright. Hou, OKC, Det, Orl, SA are still to far away likely to pay Brooks, LAL has bigger holes, Indy is a wild card since they could use a SF, Utah is still likely going to be rebuilding, maybe Sac could be a threat to sign him. Charlotte maybe if they move off Hayward could be interested. So likely only 2 to 3 teams that would even think about signing him to a big deal, sure it only takes one but I have my doubts a big deal will be out there....depending on what a big deal looks like. I think he could score a 4/80 but with that cap raising that deal is not near what it used to be. Over the cap teams that are a piece away could look his way in the offseason and if we are ready to move on there could be some SNT options open to us then.

I think a trade to another playoff team that wants his bird rights could be in play if Zaire shows he is ready for a bigger role by the trade deadline. This is my preferred outcome since Brooks just cannot seem to find his grove offensively, his D is good but him taking away shots from better players has to end at some point. He should be taking maybe 10 shots a game and half of those should be corner 3s and drives on too aggressive closeouts.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#206 » by SD2042 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:18 pm

psman2 wrote:
jefe wrote:I will be absolutely amazed if we don't move Dillon at the trade deadline. It just seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll walk in free agency to take a big paycheck and/or be "the man" on another team, even if it's a middling or cellar dweller team.

I cannot see any team interested if giving Dillion the money or role of "The Man." These teams have scouting departments and can see that giving more usage to Dillion is not a recipe for success. Most of the teams with cap space this coming year are not going to look at Brooks as the solution to anything good. There are like 9-10 teams that will have the space to sign him outright. Hou, OKC, Det, Orl, SA are still to far away likely to pay Brooks, LAL has bigger holes, Indy is a wild card since they could use a SF, Utah is still likely going to be rebuilding, maybe Sac could be a threat to sign him. Charlotte maybe if they move off Hayward could be interested. So likely only 2 to 3 teams that would even think about signing him to a big deal, sure it only takes one but I have my doubts a big deal will be out there....depending on what a big deal looks like. I think he could score a 4/80 but with that cap raising that deal is not near what it used to be. Over the cap teams that are a piece away could look his way in the offseason and if we are ready to move on there could be some SNT options open to us then.

I think a trade to another playoff team that wants his bird rights could be in play if Zaire shows he is ready for a bigger role by the trade deadline. This is my preferred outcome since Brooks just cannot seem to find his grove offensively, his D is good by him taking away shots from better players has to end at some point. He should be taking maybe 10 shots a game and half of those should be corner 3s and drives on too aggressive closeouts.

On the Charlotte part, even if they may consider moving off of Hayward's contract, the elephant in the room here is Miles Bridges. He was up as a RFA until his situation popped up. That said, Miles likely cost himself a huge bag. Where do the team stand with him is the big question. Given he was a RFA at the time, is Charlotte still obligated contractually to upgrade on Bridges or will the situation could have proven too much to overcome the idea of him to return to the team?

As to Dillon himself, there is no question that he will likely play himself out from a contractual control of what the Grizzlies may seek to give him. With the cap rising each year, plus his own capabilities, sans offensive consistency, Dillon could see his time as a Grizzly end either by the trade deadline or by next summer. It all depends on Ziaire and his development improves once he returns to action.
jefe
General Manager

Post#207 » by jefe » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:10 pm

psman2 wrote:

I think a trade to another playoff team that wants his bird rights could be in play if Zaire shows he is ready for a bigger role by the trade deadline. This is my preferred outcome since Brooks just cannot seem to find his grove offensively, his D is good by him taking away shots from better players has to end at some point. He should be taking maybe 10 shots a game and half of those should be corner 3s and drives on too aggressive closeouts.

Well, it only takes one team, and Dillon may be the best two-way wing available as a free agent this offseason. If he was willing to take 4/80 at this time (or more accurately, in October), then I think we'd already have inked an extension with him . . . but we didn't. Alternatively, maybe the front office simply prioritizes Bane's extension, and Dillon will inevitably be the odd man out to ensure we've got some flexibility once Bane's extension ultimately kicks in, and our core of Ja, JJJ, and Bane are all on their second contracts.

I, too, hope Zaire shows continued progression and an ability to take a larger role, because I think we better move Dillon before we watch him walk in the offseason and get nothing in return. Again, it only takes one team to throw a ludicrous offer at him.
psman2
General Manager

Post#208 » by psman2 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:02 pm

jefe wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Well, it only takes one team, and Dillon may be the best two-way wing available as a free agent this offseason. If he was willing to take 4/80 at this time (or more accurately, in October), then I think we'd already have inked an extension with him . . . but we didn't. Alternatively, maybe the front office simply prioritizes Bane's extension, and Dillon will inevitably be the odd man out to ensure we've got some flexibility once Bane's extension ultimately kicks in, and our core of Ja, JJJ, and Bane are all on their second contracts.

I, too, hope Zaire shows continued progression and an ability to take a larger role, because I think we better move Dillon before we watch him walk in the offseason and get nothing in return. Again, it only takes one team to throw a ludicrous offer at him.

I believe the max extension we could have offered him was something starting at 13.7m....which comes out to a 4/61 with raises. Unless we were willing to do a renegotiate contract with cap space when we had it.

The player’s salary in the first year of the extension may be up to the greater of: (i) 120% of the player’s salary in the last year of the original contract, and (ii) 120% of the estimated average player salary in the year the extension is signed. Salary may increase (or decrease) in the extended term by up to 8% (instead of 5%) of the salary in the first year of the extension.
jefe
General Manager

Post#209 » by jefe » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:46 pm

psman2 wrote:

I believe the max extension we could have offered him was something starting at 13.7m....which comes out to a 4/61 with raises. Unless we were willing to do a renegotiate contract with cap space when we had it.

The player’s salary in the first year of the extension may be up to the greater of: (i) 120% of the player’s salary in the last year of the original contract, and (ii) 120% of the estimated average player salary in the year the extension is signed. Salary may increase (or decrease) in the extended term by up to 8% (instead of 5%) of the salary in the first year of the extension.

Gotcha - thanks. I thought they had "fixed" that issue, but evidently not (which I say after reviewing the Larry Coon FAQ).
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#210 » by MemphisX » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:21 am

Glad this thread is dead.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#211 » by VCfor3 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:33 pm

MemphisX wrote:Glad this thread is dead.

I mean there really isn't a trade that excites me/I feel we need. There are no amazing consolidation opportunities that make sense for us right now, our role players are fairly balanced, and the only true salary filler we have is Green. Maybe at the deadline we look at Green+2nds for a solid depth piece but otherwise I expect us to keep the status quo as our youth develops barring an unexpected opportunity arising.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#212 » by NYG » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:01 am

VCfor3 wrote:

I mean there really isn't a trade that excites me/I feel we need. There are no amazing consolidation opportunities that make sense for us right now, our role players are fairly balanced, and the only true salary filler we have is Green. Maybe at the deadline we look at Green+2nds for a solid depth piece but otherwise I expect us to keep the status quo as our youth develops barring an unexpected opportunity arising.

I came here to see if there's any realistic target, but I bet if there's any blockbuster Grizzlies trade, it's not one that will be predictable. I guess an OG Anunoby type could be possible, but I could see more teams being all in on him before Memphis.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#213 » by MemphisX » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:20 am

NYG wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I came here to see if there's any realistic target, but I bet if there's any blockbuster Grizzlies trade, it's not one that will be predictable. I guess an OG Anunoby type could be possible, but I could see more teams being all in on him before Memphis.

The two guys I want.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
psman2
General Manager

Post#214 » by psman2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:16 am

MemphisX wrote:
NYG wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I mean there really isn't a trade that excites me/I feel we need. There are no amazing consolidation opportunities that make sense for us right now, our role players are fairly balanced, and the only true salary filler we have is Green. Maybe at the deadline we look at Green+2nds for a solid depth piece but otherwise I expect us to keep the status quo as our youth develops barring an unexpected opportunity arising.

The two guys I want.

Nice Video....but why are you using the 2024 1st instead of the 2023. I would want to have all of our future picks available next year if a big move presents itself. Is it just because you don't want two pick in 2024 with us owning the GS #1.

Regarding Caruso....I think we just need more creation than he can bring to give up a 1st. Maybe if we move Jones in a different trade then I could get behind him.

Kuz- I think he might be primed to be overpaid this offseason since there are not a lot of good free agents. IF he didn't have a player option I would be more excited for him. His efficiently is not the greatest but we do need a little more scoring punch, especially on our second unit.
JWilkieMIA
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#215 » by JWilkieMIA » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:30 pm

if Raptors keep falling maybe OG will be available or even someone like Fred to be a back up. Lots of options for Memphis from Raptors team to pick to complete championship roster.

Not sure who else has available pieces to take Memphis over the top.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#216 » by SD2042 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:58 pm

psman2 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
NYG wrote:

The two guys I want.

Nice Video....but why are you using the 2024 1st instead of the 2023. I would want to have all of our future picks available next year if a big move presents itself. Is it just because you don't want two pick in 2024 with us owning the GS #1.

Regarding Caruso....I think we just need more creation than he can bring to give up a 1st. Maybe if we move Jones in a different trade then I could get behind him.

Kuz- I think he might be primed to be overpaid this offseason since there are not a lot of good free agents. IF he didn't have a player option I would be more excited for him. His efficiently is not the greatest but we do need a little more scoring punch, especially on our second unit.

Kuz will get overpaid this offseason. I don't want the Grizzlies to be the team who pays for him. Another issue I have with Kuz is consistency. He will have his ups and down true enough. He knows he's in a contractual year. So he is playing for his next bag and has the numbers to back it up. This article below talks about his take on small market teams. Granted the article is three years old. Plus the Grizzlies are a small market team who's been talked about I truly question has his mindset on playing for a small market has changed since his time in LA. Personally, I doubt it. I think Washington do not want to take much chances to be handcuff to Kuz next bag upgrade.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-kuzma-loves-extra-attention-playing-lebron-james-los-angeles-good-bad-232714140.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall
psman2
General Manager

Post#217 » by psman2 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:36 pm

SD2042 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

The two guys I want.

Kuz will get overpaid this offseason. I don't want the Grizzlies to be the team who pays for him. Another issue I have with Kuz is consistency. He will have his ups and down true enough. He knows he's in a contractual year. So he is playing for his next bag and has the numbers to back it up. This article below talks about his take on small market teams. Granted the article is three years old. Plus the Grizzlies are a small market team who's been talked about I truly question has his mindset on playing for a small market has changed since his time in LA. Personally, I doubt it. I think Washington do not want to take much chances to be handcuff to Kuz next bag upgrade.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kyle-kuzma-loves-extra-attention-playing-lebron-james-los-angeles-good-bad-232714140.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Not a big fan of his either, but I do think we could use the scoring punch. I do think if Kuz has his preference he would likely land in a big market, but the reality is outside of some SNT scenarios the teams with cap space are not big market teams this year (outside of LAL if they keep Westbrook and let him expire, but spending all they money they have on Kuz is not going to solve much for them). So he is likely faced with resigning in Washington or whatever team trades for him now as the likeliest paths to money. So do I think Memphis should invest a 4/80+ on him to be a 25-30 minute likely backup, not really but I do think at this point in our build we can stand to overpay a little on maybe a final piece depending on what our plans and salary constraints look like for Brooks.

Is Kuz that final piece, not likely but not someone I would dismiss entirely if the price is cheap enough to give him a try out. And even being a small market team I think he would have a hard time walking away from a team on the rise like Memphis with his likely other suiters not meeting his desires either more than likely.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#218 » by SD2042 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:41 am

JWilkieMIA wrote:if Raptors keep falling maybe OG will be available or even someone like Fred to be a back up. Lots of options for Memphis from Raptors team to pick to complete championship roster.

Not sure who else has available pieces to take Memphis over the top.

OG has been mentioned in recent weeks as a list of possibles.

OG is one of the players I'm keeping an eye on as the Raptors continue to spiral down the basement of playoff obscurity. OG would add defense as well as offense and a youth to a Grizzlies team who is a solid piece away from becoming a more serious threat than ever.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#219 » by SD2042 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:33 pm

psman2 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Not a big fan of his either, but I do think we could use the scoring punch. I do think if Kuz has his preference he would likely land in a big market, but the reality is outside of some SNT scenarios the teams with cap space are not big market teams this year (outside of LAL if they keep Westbrook and let him expire, but spending all they money they have on Kuz is not going to solve much for them). So he is likely faced with resigning in Washington or whatever team trades for him now as the likeliest paths to money. So do I think Memphis should invest a 4/80+ on him to be a 25-30 minute likely backup, not really but I do think at this point in our build we can stand to overpay a little on maybe a final piece depending on what our plans and salary constraints look like for Brooks.

Is Kuz that final piece, not likely but not someone I would dismiss entirely if the price is cheap enough to give him a try out. And even being a small market team I think he would have a hard time walking away from a team on the rise like Memphis with his likely other suiters not meeting his desires either more than likely.

Without question, this team can use another high volume scorer to shoulder the load and become a bigger threat in the Western Conference. Whoever the Grizzlies choose to acquire, the move needs to be pivotal and beneficial for the present and future of the chemistry and the franchise.

Here's a short of players I have in mind.

OG Anunoby
DeMar DeRozan
Bojan Bogdanovic
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#220 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:32 am

Read on Twitter

(Our rep goes to all the games at that arena FYI but still fun)

Return to Memphis Grizzlies